IGNORED

Arena

bs3

I'd have though Lansdown would have bought the Ice Hockey team so they could share the new arena with the Flyers as well. The Ice Hockey sells out almost every match at Cribbs with a 3k capacity. There's quite a few stadiums in the States that are shared by both basketball and ice hockey teams. 

Edited by Mr X
  • Thanks 1

On 31/08/2023 at 19:41, Bristol Rob said:

I think you've all overlooked one major factor in any stadium additons/development and that's 'what generates the most cash' and with us being multi-use at Ashton Gate, I would assume any development would be to get more corporate cash out of companies for the chance to watch The Bears in some way, which if City then reached the top flight, they could easily sell as well. 

I don't think any capacity increase would be made or any stadium configuration changed just to keep the football crowd happy. 

Transferable food vouchers could be useful

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I thought the Bristol Arena was 10/12,000 , but TBH I've kind of lost interest as it's turned into a farce. 

The planned arena for Temple Meads was this size until scrapped by Marv.

The YTL Arena at Filton is now planning for 19,000 seats - making it the the 3rd / 4th largest in the country.

That's if it is ever built - this is constantly being delayed and rumours are that YTL will eventually claim it is unviable - anybody else heard this?

Have read it on Skyscrapercity forum and someone I was chatting to recently.

• Hmmm 1

55 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I'd have though Lansdown would have bought the Ice Hockey team so they could share the new arena with the Flyers as well. The Ice Hockey sells out almost every match at Cribbs with a 3k capacity. There's quite a few stadiums in the States that are shared by both basketball and ice hockey teams. 

Would love for us to get a second rink. The one at Cribbs is lovely but already not enough for a city our size given how popular it has been since opening. 

3 hours ago, spudski said:

Apart from a few who I've seen said they attend...how many go to watch basketball? Is it popular in Bristol?

I played it for the school team back in the day, we had a teacher who was ex England who coached...but I've never watched it since. 

When living in Canada, Basketball, Baseball, Ice hockey, American football were pretty much 24/7 on TV...went to a few live hockey games in Kamloops, but jeez I find all those sports boring. 

Just interested...and as an SL investment...etc...

We have one of the smallest arenas, if not the smallest arena in the BBL (Britain’s top tier of basketball).

It is about 700 capacity.  It has sold out pretty much every game since 2016!  I haven’t been the last two seasons because of Covid (yeah, yeah, some of us are still being careful).  But the atmosphere when it rocks, and it rocks regularly, is one if the best atmospheres I’ve experienced at a sporting event.

@TBW will know for sure re capacity, and he’ll also acknowledge the atmosphere when we beat Newcastle in the playoffs a few years back was electric.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Thanks for the reply...it just crossed my mind as to if it was profitable compared to maybe other facilities that could be in that site. 

I’m pretty sure Basketball makes a loss, Flyers are normally a low / lower budget side, especially compared t9 those that have their own arenas.  But the aim is to grow Bristol Flyers with the new arena.  This season we enter European comps for the first time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Would it not make the court a bit slippy ?

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Of course. Value of the land will have gone up £10s of millions overnight. 

Still find it very odd there's been no official announcement from the club or Ashton Gate Ltd. 

I think Jon was supposed to do it, but he's a bit busy at the moment....?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, City37 said:

That's if it is ever built - this is constantly being delayed and rumours are that YTL will eventually claim it is unviable - anybody else heard this?

I’ve always maintained my position that the arena will never happen. And I’m not changing my opinion now. It’s just not gonna happen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

We have one of the smallest arenas, if not the smallest arena in the BBL (Britain’s top tier of basketball).

It is about 700 capacity.  It has sold out pretty much every game since 2016!  I haven’t been the last two seasons because of Covid (yeah, yeah, some of us are still being careful).  But the atmosphere when it rocks, and it rocks regularly, is one if the best atmospheres I’ve experienced at a sporting event.

@TBW will know for sure re capacity, and he’ll also acknowledge the atmosphere when we beat Newcastle in the playoffs a few years back was electric.

I’m pretty sure Basketball makes a loss, Flyers are normally a low / lower budget side, especially compared t9 those that have their own arenas.  But the aim is to grow Bristol Flyers with the new arena.  This season we enter European comps for the first time.

Thanks Dave...so as others have implied, profit will come from other uses of the arena, rather from the Flyers...which as you've suggested has a small following. 

Otherwise it would be a massive investment for a following under 1000. 

1 hour ago, City37 said:

The planned arena for Temple Meads was this size until scrapped by Marv.

The YTL Arena at Filton is now planning for 19,000 seats - making it the the 3rd / 4th largest in the country.

Have read it on Skyscrapercity forum and someone I was chatting to recently.

Hmm, a developer promising something to then say its unviable, sound familiar???

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Thanks Dave...so as others have implied, profit will come from other uses of the arena, rather from the Flyers...which as you've suggested has a small following. 

Otherwise it would be a massive investment for a following under 1000. 

I don't think the Flyers are actually in a bad place financially. There are a lot of benefits to them being under Bristol Sport that other sides in the league don't have and think they're trying to ensure they have a structure going on that makes things self-sufficient. There have been teams fold for mismanaging their spending. As @Davefevs has mentioned, it does sell out but it sells out a low capacity so they need the arena to have any possibility of growth, profit or improving the long-term on-court product. The games toward the end of the season were selling out two months in advance so there is demand, there's just nowhere to put people. It's the only venue available so the club are limited by venue rather than lack of interest.

There aren't many opportunities for profit in basketball in this country right now but there's hope of league growth, future tv interest and obviously bigger sponsors along the way. As with any sport, basketball relies on the same things and it's still got a way to go.

I sometimes have a +1 available so drop me a message if you want to test it out one night.

Edited by TBW
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, TBW said:

I sometimes have a +1 available so drop me a message if you want to test it out one night.

@spudskitake him up on it, it’s an ace night out, can have a beer whilst watching too.  If you’ve got kids, take them along, the players are great. After the game they all come out into reception and mill around signing autographs, pics taken etc.  just be prepared to look a short arse!!!  I’m 6’1 1/2”!!!

image.thumb.jpeg.81504f80c161703637ce479a22ba4679.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Davefevs said:

@spudskitake him up on it, it’s an ace night out, can have a beer whilst watching too.  If you’ve got kids, take them along, the players are great. After the game they all come out into reception and mill around signing autographs, pics taken etc.  just be prepared to look a short arse!!!  I’m 6’1 1/2”!!!

image.thumb.jpeg.81504f80c161703637ce479a22ba4679.jpeg

When you coming back though?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BS30 City said:

Had a quick look at the plans online, lower floor of the multi storey car park has a gym, retail space for a new shop and a big block of toilets for the fan park. Hopefully the shop will be a big improvement 

Flippant comment - it’s a very low bar 

Serious comment - A better shop and toilets for the fan zone are really good improvements.  It will be interesting to see what the existing shop becomes.

1 hour ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Flippant comment - it’s a very low bar 

Serious comment - A better shop and toilets for the fan zone are really good improvements.  It will be interesting to see what the existing shop becomes.

Museum incorporated too!  Shop looks roughly 250/300sq m. No idea the size of what we have now! 

IMG_2006.png

Edited by BS30 City

15 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Looks 40-50% bigger to me. Also a conventional shape (square) unlike the current arrangement,  so can make better use of the floorspace. 

May also maintain the current shop as a shop for the rugby? Though with that much space they’d actually need to order some stock. 

Edited by James54De

4 minutes ago, James54De said:

May also maintain the current shop as a shop for the rugby? Though with that much space they’d actually need to order some stock. 

It will be stocked with nest eggs. They’ll be small when you take one home, but if you sell off your best assets and grow new ones in the garden, it will get turn into a big nest egg in no time. 

• Haha 2
  • Flames 1

After watching SLs presentation for his vision of Guernsey tourism its patently obvious what his number one priority is - his golf complex. Seems this is why the football club are not getting any funding now or in the future, its all going to La Grand Mare Guernsey.

What with the sporting quarter and the 500 houses to be built and his pet project in Guernsey, it seems he's spread himself a bit thin and the sporting clubs like City, rugby, basketball etc will have to tighten their belts.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

41 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

After watching SLs presentation for his vision of Guernsey tourism its patently obvious what his number one priority is - his golf complex. Seems this is why the football club are not getting any funding now or in the future, its all going to La Grand Mare Guernsey.

What with the sporting quarter and the 500 houses to be built and his pet project in Guernsey, it seems he's spread himself a bit thin and the sporting clubs like City, rugby, basketball etc will have to tighten their belts.

So you don’t understand finances at all? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1