IGNORED

International Rugby

WarksRobin

3 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

No they couldn't. I admit I was one of those who doubted we'd get out  of the group but England have surprised me. They are flying the flag for the northern hemisphere and can beat the Boks. 

I don't see how. England will have to go up many levels just to get near them. 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Just now, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I feel currently we could beat the Boks. I didn't fancy us at all against France in a noisy vehement Stade Francais. 

I just thought all the pressure on France we keep in the game and a small chance we could nick it. 

2 hours ago, Red Shadow said:

What percentage of kids play rugby at schools in England though? Neither my junior school nor my senior school played it therefore I still don't really understand the rules.

This is why I don't think England have underachieved. Lets be honest Rugby Union only competes with Football in England in the West Country.

It is not our National Sport - unlike NZ, South Africa, Wales and it's definitely more popular in Ireland. 

You can't use Country population as a metric either, it should be about overall participation and I don't know the numbers but I can't imagine it is anywhere near as popular as Football and Cricket across England. 

I think the private school system has really held the Sport back 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, 2015 said:

This is why I don't think England have underachieved. Lets be honest Rugby Union only competes with Football in England in the West Country.

It is not our National Sport - unlike NZ, South Africa, Wales and it's definitely more popular in Ireland. 

You can't use Country population as a metric either, it should be about overall participation and I don't know the numbers but I can't imagine it is anywhere near as popular as Football and Cricket across England. 

Speaking for Ireland, rugby union is at best the fourth most popular sport after Gaelic football, hurling and football. 

1 minute ago, Super said:

Game winning penalty should have went other way. Like I said SA get away with a lot.

Them's the breaks. I thought O'Keefe had a good game overall to be fair.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

He's your classic gobshite scrum half. Brilliant player though, I remember going to see Bristol at Sale a few years back and he was levels above anyone else on the pitch, when both teams had several internationals playing.

I remember that too, game ended in a draw. You're right, he was a standout talent. 

8 minutes ago, 2015 said:

You can't use Country population as a metric either, it should be about overall participation and I don't know the numbers

Nowhere near the national sport in Ireland, and plenty of people in Wales - definitely in the north - would tell you that football was the national sport. Not sure about SA, but would agree it definitely is in NZ.

Article from 2020 but gives an idea of overall participation by country: https://lastwordonsports.com/rugby/2020/07/14/top-20-rugby-union-countries-registered-players/

Looking at those numbers I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest England and France, for example, should be doing better than 1 world cup between them.

9 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Speaking for Ireland, rugby union is at best the fourth most popular sport after Gaelic football, hurling and football. 

Them's the breaks. I thought O'Keefe had a good game overall to be fair.

And nowt beats an afternoon at Croker !!  Or the pub before and after.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

7 hours ago, 2015 said:

Used to be the most popular sport in Wales, now it’s football. Some of the teams are struggling to have a proper seconds team. Only this years six nations Wales was going to strike against WRU due to lack of funds in grassroots rugby. 
Pulling out against English league was the start of the decline. 

• Like 2