IGNORED

Phil Alexander Gone (Confirmed)

Selred

A bit baffled, as it’s pretty clear we need more business experience at the top, not less. Think it is also highly desirable to have a ‘buffer’ between the football/business side and the ownership, a function that the CEO performs. Can’t imagine that Steve would want to devote more time to the Club as this new structure would seem to demand. 

Can only speculate, as others have done, that someone is very close to taking control of the Club. 

Got to say that Nige is being very diplomatic and compliant over the last few weeks. Impressive from someone who has demonstrated short fuse behaviour in the past. Hats off to him.

Hopefully, those at the top of this new structure will quickly adopt a new communications strategy, as well as encouraging Nige to sign a new contract. 

• Robin 2

5 minutes ago, eardun said:

It seems to me (based on what Pearson said last night and the statement today) that the club has simply realised that they don’t need an expensive CEO in the building - that big role isn’t needed any more seeing how Tinnion’s role has developed. Why pay for a senior, big hitting CEO when one isn’t needed? 

I'd go further.

I'd suggest we don’t need a chairman either - seeing as he does sweet f.a. 

Let's lose his salary too. 

• Like 14
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 4

3 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I'd go further.

I'd suggest we don’t need a chairman either - seeing as he does sweet f.a. 

Let's lose his salary too. 

But we need a chair man. Someone to put them out before the meeting starts and then stack them away after it's finished. A job that JL is perfect for. 

Edited by RoystonFoote'snephew
Added content
  • Haha 8

14 minutes ago, Hxj said:

My view is that everyone is in danger of running down lots of rabbit holes with this one.

Personally, following the 'Bristol Sport' reorganisation that took place earlier this year, it doesn't make sense to have a Football CEO and a Group CEO.

The actual operations of the football club are relatively straightforward as are the finances.

Football side director, everything else director, and NP keeping himself far away from anything but his day job - perfect.

I'm inclined to agree but I'd still like to see one or two truly independent non executive directors free to challenge the executives.

• Like 2

This is strange to me.

As someone who works in an industry that has lots of changes of ownership, my experience over many years, is that if someone buys the business the existing CEO stays in place for a period of time to aid with the transition then departs.

Of course if new ownership is imminent maybe after meeting with PA they decided they did not want him around or, he did not want to be around.

Doesn't smack of cost saving as PA probably had a significant notice period that would have to be paid.

Aside from all of that I am concerned that our chairman mentions Tinnion but no mention of Nige, I can’t help but think they want him gone and the first opportunity they get that will happen.

I suspect on one level that won’t bother Nige too much and he will rather enjoy not providing them with the opportunity.

The owner is playing with fire here in my opinion.

• Like 10
  • Hmmm 1

37 minutes ago, eardun said:

It seems to me (based on what Pearson said last night and the statement today) that the club has simply realised that they don’t need an expensive CEO in the building - that big role isn’t needed any more seeing how Tinnion’s role has developed. Why pay for a senior, big hitting CEO when one isn’t needed? 

Why do other clubs all around the world have a CEO plus a technical director/dof yet we have decided we don't need one? Tins job revoles around talent identification and player recruitment. 

A good CEO pays for its salary, just like Gould did with the cost cutting he overseen. 

• Like 4

Its interesting reading all the long thought out speculation, generally with an anti SL bias, but it could simply be that PA has not been seen as value for money and not brought much new to the party. 

Very poor communication, which fans have been very critical of and not being public when needed

Shirt launch lots of complaints, although I bought 2 on Tuesday and thought they were good.

Cant recall seeing much in the way of new commercial initiatives, although there may be that are not visible to the fans

Perhaps did not do a very good job in the transfer window, what happened with the Irish lad and perhaps others? if at fault would have created a lot of frustration to BT & NP 

Lots of talk without any substance of SL interfering (would bound to be involved in AS sale as some level), but perhaps its the opposite and wants his CEO to run the business for him without having to get involved and not impressed with how PA has gone about it.

Again just speculation on my part, the same as everyone else's

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Its interesting reading all the long thought out speculation, generally with an anti SL bias, but it could simply be that PA has not been seen as value for money and not brought much new to the party. 

Very poor communication, which fans have been very critical of and not being public when needed

Shirt launch lots of complaints, although I bought 2 on Tuesday and thought they were good.

Cant recall seeing much in the way of new commercial initiatives, although there may be that are not visible to the fans

Perhaps did not do a very good job in the transfer window, what happened with the Irish lad and perhaps others? if at fault would have created a lot of frustration to BT & NP 

Lots of talk without any substance of SL interfering (would bound to be involved in AS sale as some level), but perhaps its the opposite and wants his CEO to run the business for him without having to get involved and not impressed with how PA has gone about it.

Again just speculation on my part, the same as everyone else's

Why get rid of the role completely then? 

It just smacks of the Lansdowns once again wanting more direct control over everything that goes on at the club. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ScottishRed said:

This is strange to me.

As someone who works in an industry that has lots of changes of ownership, my experience over many years, is that if someone buys the business the existing CEO stays in place for a period of time to aid with the transition then departs.

Of course if new ownership is imminent maybe after meeting with PA they decided they did not want him around or, he did not want to be around.

Doesn't smack of cost saving as PA probably had a significant notice period that would have to be paid.

Aside from all of that I am concerned that our chairman mentions Tinnion but no mention of Nige, I can’t help but think they want him gone and the first opportunity they get that will happen.

I suspect on one level that won’t bother Nige too much and he will rather enjoy not providing them with the opportunity.

The owner is playing with fire here in my opinion.

I agree. Despite there being some events that have happened over the past few months that suggest a sale might be close, I have a feeling that's not the case. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, spudski said:

Is he any good at negotiating financial deals/contracts with Agents of potential signings?

Whilst Tins can big up the club and talk about the football side of the Club, you need someone who is good at negotiating the financial side of contracts.

This is what I'm wondering. In my opinion you need someone experienced to do that. Ideally you'd want someone who has experience in both football and finance. 

Seems bizarre that we'd just get rid of the role. Who's Nigels boss on a day to day basis? Who's the link between the footballing side and the board? With no CEO then there also isn't a sole person that the fans can hold accountable. Maybe that's SLs plan. Fans complain about CEO, Lansdown abolishes the CEO role. 

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Why do other clubs all around the world have a CEO plus a technical director/dof yet we have decided we don't need one? Tins job revoles around talent identification and player recruitment. 

A good CEO pays for its salary, just like Gould did with the cost cutting he overseen. 

Don’t forget that Marshall is Bristol Sport CEO though:

https://www.bristol-sport.co.uk/bristol-sport-group-confirms-new-board-roles-for-kelly-and-marshall/

As I say, it just looks to me that what is left that sits between Marshall and Tinnion isn’t big enough to warrant a Football CEO like Alexander. 

6 minutes ago, eardun said:

Don’t forget that Marshall is Bristol Sport CEO though:

https://www.bristol-sport.co.uk/bristol-sport-group-confirms-new-board-roles-for-kelly-and-marshall/

As I say, it just looks to me that what is left that sits between Marshall and Tinnion isn’t big enough to warrant a Football CEO like Alexander. 

I don't like it. Feels like we are spreading people too thin. And he doesn't strike me as someone who's a footballing person. 

For years and years we've been crying out for a manager like Pearson, a real footballing person and I think he's vindicated those calls. Same for the CEO in my opinion. 

Football is a unique industry, as SL himself has found. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

What events are you referring to?

A few spring to mind. No SL interview at the start of the season. Can't recall that ever happening before. Reduction of investment in the playing staff. And planning permission coming through for the sporting village. 

These things could suggest that a sale is imminent, or that we are moving to an optimum time to sell. 

But to reiterate, I personally don't think a sale is close.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I don't like it. Feels like we are spreading people too thin. And he doesn't strike me as someone who's a footballing person. 

For years and years we've been crying out for a manager like Pearson, a real footballing person and I think he's vindicated those calls. Same for the CEO in my opinion. 

Football is a unique industry, as SL himself has found. 

I agree with this. I'm sure Marshall is competent but he's been at Bristol Sport since 2016 with no prior experience in sport. 

Now he's CEO of Bristol City mens and womens teams, Bristol Bears and the Flyers. City mens & the Bears must surely be very time-consuming jobs, let alone with the other two teams. 

• Like 1

To me it looks like we are remodelling the structure a little. Kelly will look after property and the Bristol Sport CEO will oversee personnel, players, coaches managers etc. I think it is less to do with a sale but very much to do with investment which is SL’s field of expertise. The whole stable of clubs will not be sold off piece meal or have rival CEO’s that are in competition for funding. When you put all the interests together including the Golf Resort and Game Reserve you have the potential to attract much larger investors than would purely look at an underachieving football club. Much as we are naturally protective about our own clubs identity I think we may have to accept that we are now just a part of something potentially global rather than local. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

To me it looks like we are remodelling the structure a little. Kelly will look after property and the Bristol Sport CEO will oversee personnel, players, coaches managers etc. I think it is less to do with a sale but very much to do with investment which is SL’s field of expertise. The whole stable of clubs will not be sold off piece meal or have rival CEO’s that are in competition for funding. When you put all the interests together including the Golf Resort and Game Reserve you have the potential to attract much larger investors than would purely look at an underachieving football club. Much as we are naturally protective about our own clubs identity I think we may have to accept that we are now just a part of something potentially global rather than local. 

I honestly don’t think the golf and Safari stuff will be involved…but I’m just guessing.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I honestly don’t think the golf and Safari stuff will be involved…but I’m just guessing.

Both will potentially attract investment from the US and I sense that’s where Jon’s interest maybe lies. Add an American Sports team/franchise to the group with the accompanying investment and then you have enormous marketing possibilities. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Quite right. Love Tinman. Legend for me with boots on. Knows a player. But…

But love me duck, he ain’t the one who’s going to take the club forward for n the way a Gould or a Scudamore could bits a different skill set entirely. 

OK Alexander was less than visible. He wasn’t shit like Ashton either but unless the club is to be sold, you need someone really brilliant in that role. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I agree with this. I'm sure Marshall is competent but he's been at Bristol Sport since 2016 with no prior experience in sport. 

Now he's CEO of Bristol City mens and womens teams, Bristol Bears and the Flyers. City mens & the Bears must surely be very time-consuming jobs, let alone with the other two teams. 

I'm sure he is too. But once again it's another internal appointment from SL and the past has shown us that is not a good idea. There are red flags all over this in my opinion. 

We've done so really good work to get us to where we are now. I don't think I've ever felt quite so content with the footballing operations as I currently do. 

And what has got us to that point is the close collaboration between Pearson, Tinnion and Gould and to a lesser extend Alexander. Pearsons office is next door to the CEOs I believe. 

Alexander and Gould are both people that have a footballing background and I think that's what has helped get us to our current point. Footballing people making footballing decisions. 

I know very little of these other two people. But just sounds like corporate appointments. 

Gavin Marshall could be fantastic at his job, however if he has little footballing knowledge then I don't think that is good for us. 

Presumably Nige cant just knock on his door at any time and discuss things due to his other roles. So I think we've lost something there. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just think that people are not looking at the bigger picture. We are all worried about things that affect our club. Many people view Bristol Sport as almost a subsidiary of BCFC but in reality it’s the reverse. We talk about Steve losing interest and walking away and maybe he will. Alternatively maybe Steve is not so much stepping back as stepping up to concentrate on a bigger plan. He could attract far more in investment than he could ever recoup by just selling the football club. He built his fortune on investment and that’s where he has the knowledge. He is basically an investment broker and that’s always been where his real interest lies. 

• Like 2