IGNORED

Phil Alexander Gone (Confirmed)

Selred

22 minutes ago, headhunter said:

I wonder how Richard Scudamore feels about that as, I believe, SL sought his counsel on who to appoint? 

You work in recruitment, what response do you give when something doesn’t work out?

Imprecise science? One of those things?

Scudamore could justifiably argue he recommended a CEO who won an award as Prem CEO of the year & was at a more successful club than us for a very long time, not his fault if it didn’t work out.

Not like the Holden appointment of someone obviously promoted beyond his capability.

• Like 3

It's poor that there has been no communication from the club, and the news has surfaced through supporters and local press. The club should have taken control of the situation and issued an announcement on Friday to manage the narrative. Now, they find themselves on the back foot. Highlights that SL/JL have taken their hands off the wheel!

• Like 9

Whilst I’m more than happy to criticise Steve Lansdown where it is warranted — perhaps it is here - I’m going to play devil’s advocate here. Since Alexander joined, his profile has been pretty anonymous, we’ve had a disaster of a kit  launch, it has been pretty clear from Pearson’s interviews that he has been given confusing mixed messages about our transfer plans and the general sense of a steady ship we had under Richard Gould has given way to a sense we are lurching about without much of a strategy.

And yes - all of this could be due to Lansdown being passive, disinterested and a bit crap because he doesn’t want to own the club anymore but can’t find a buyer. But it could be that Alexander hasn’t been the right fit in terms of executing the club’s strategy and a parting of ways is actually the right thing to do…

• Like 18

4 minutes ago, Malago said:

Phil Alexander has stood down as Bristol City CEO, Bristol Live understands, just eight months after the former Crystal Palace chief executive took over at Ashton Gate.

The above quote seems to imply he jumped rather than was pushed.  Written by James Piercy who seems to know what goes on at the club.

Surely that would be the same wording as that which would be used if he resigned because he was told to do so? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

What a week ! new away kit launched then CEO goes and poor Nige on crutches. I’m sure somebody can make a conspiracy theory out of that. Any takers

Perhaps he put Nige on crutches after Nige had a right pop at him that they didn’t stock an away shirt in his size ??  Phil said he knew nothing about it so Nige called him a f@@@@@g Ostrich and Phil decked him !! Far more likely than the BS that we’ll be told I expect ! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

My 2+2=5 is that SL logged onto OTIB to see you, one of our most sober and knowledgeable posters, ranting about his mismanagement of the club, knew he had to find a fall guy so fired big Phil!! 

Always someone to blame on OTIB, eh!

In the same timeline as…

IMG_8671.thumb.jpeg.bda3e41086efca8986f80f1664a9b4ed.jpeg

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pedrowe said:

It's poor that there has been no communication from the club, and the news has surfaced through supporters and local press. The club should have taken control of the situation and issued an announcement on Friday to manage the narrative. Now, they find themselves on the back foot. Highlights that SL/JL have taken their hands off the wheel!

I’m going to guess that JL isn’t bright enough to write a statement and everyone who can doesn’t work weekends!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Top Robin said:

Is it only me who doesn't give a toss about the CEO or directors of our club....basically they are just administrators and puppets of Lansdown.

The only personnel at Bristol City who are important to me are the players and the manager.

Correct for now but we will need someone in to navigate us through January.

3 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Is it only me who doesn't give a toss about the CEO or directors of our club....basically they are just administrators and puppets of Lansdown.

The only personnel at Bristol City who are important to me are the players and the manager.

And who do you think makes the decisions / feeds into the decisions about Managers and players?  

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My 2+2=5 is that PA did want to extend Nige, and that’s a reason he’s going.

In which case I hope he leaks it*, and we can all say we knew he was a good egg all along.

And finally The Owners true colours will be nailed to the mast for all to see.

(*obs won't happen if he has been paid off.)

Just now, lenred said:

And who do you think makes the decisions / feeds into the decisions about Managers and players?  

Depending on who the whipping boy is and the direction of the wind and the general mood of OTIB, it will be either SL, JL or the CEO, but ultimately, someone somewhere will have to be blamed, as that's the way this forum works!

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Generally what EA says is true, a badly run club or a club in chaos..it will impact the football side eventually.

I didn't especially warm to Alexander, Gould was superior for sure IMO but looking for the 4th CEO in just under 2.5 years is not a good indicator.

Indeed, not a great look for anyone applying for the job. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Generally what EA says is true, a badly run club or a club in chaos..it will impact the football side eventually.

I didn't especially warm to Alexander, Gould was superior for sure IMO but looking for the 4th CEO in just under 2.5 years is not a good indicator.

Any “normal” business that gets through that amount of CEO’s in that time period would be subject to speculation that the Owner or the business itself is bloody difficult to work for.

• Like 9