IGNORED

Plymouth Argyle at home match thread

Jerseybean

1 minute ago, The Journalist said:

Plymouth actually play some nice stuff but, my word, the state of their defence. Whenever we win the ball back, wherever it is on the pitch, they’re immediately a complete mess. Their shape is all over the show.

They look like a team used to blowing opposition sides away and not having to worry about transition.

Shows the difference between an established Championship side - which for us isn’t to be sniffed at - and a League One promotion team. Remember us in first season up. As you say they don’t look bad going forward though. 

• Like 3

Just now, Jerseybean said:

It’s probably just me, but this game has a really odd feel about it, despite being 3-1 up I don’t think we’re playing that well, which seems a very odd thing to say!

At 2-0 it felt like the next goal was going to be very important and when they scored it, I began to fear the worse. Even now we’ve regained a two advantage. I don’t feel that we are in control of the game.

We are making lots of silly mistakes, but thankfully so  too are Plymouth and theirs  so far have been more costly.

All things considered. I’m pleased with us being 3-1 up, but would love to feel that we could go on and really dominate this game and impose ourselves rather than depending on Plymouth continuing to play poorly.

As I type this we escape a scare which should have seen them pull,one back!

Feels like an old school 6-3 game. 

3 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

It’s probably just me, but this game has a really odd feel about it, despite being 3-1 up I don’t think we’re playing that well, which seems a very odd thing to say!

At 2-0 it felt like the next goal was going to be very important and when they scored it, I began to fear the worse. Even now we’ve regained a two advantage. I don’t feel that we are in control of the game.

We are making lots of silly mistakes, but thankfully so  too are Plymouth and theirs  so far have been more costly.

All things considered. I’m pleased with us being 3-1 up, but would love to feel that we could go on and really dominate this game and impose ourselves rather than depending on Plymouth continuing to play poorly.

As I type this we escape a scare which should have seen them pull,one back!

I should have gone to Specsavers :laugh:.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, fixit said:

Anyone know the last time we scored 3 in the first half of a league game?

I asked AI and I don’t think it will take over the world anytime soon!

“According to my knowledge, the last time Bristol City scored 3 goals in the first half of a league game was on August 12, 2023 against Watford in the Championship. The final score of the game was 3-1 in Bristol City's favor.”

• Haha 2

Action packed first half - Plymouth, looking like a team that’s made 7 changes, all over the place and we start hard and fast to get 2 early goals, Bell could well have made it 3.

Then it’s own worse enemy stuff from City. First Vyner gets caught in possession and Naismith needs to make another last ditch tackle. Then Tanner is half clumsy/half unlucky with the ball dropping to Randall who slides it in the bottom corner from 20 yards - again where was the marking, Randall had far too much time and space.

Luckily Plymouth are even more sloppy in defence than us and they leave Sykes completely free run 1 on 1 onto a super Knight switch and slot into the corner. 2 goal cushion restored.

But then it’s Max’s turn to let Waine’s press get too close before he scuffs a poor clearance straight to Randall, who plays in Waine free in the middle, played onside by a slow to react Naismith, luckily blasts over under pressure from Vyner.

So, very happy to be 3-1 up but just need to tidy up at the back and keep that concentration because they will bring on Hardie no doubt and we could well get a hatful tonight. 

Edited by Alessandro

1 minute ago, redkev said:

I do like Tanners commitment , endeavour , and aggression but tonight I really am noticing his limitations 

I feel like he’s lost a bit of confidence since he started here. Often passes back. I’m sure he got forward more in his early days too. 

• Like 2

Funny old half really. Lead by two which is great, but never really felt we were in control of the game. Plymouth carry some real danger, matched with some defence you would be disappointed to see on the Downs. All been a bit slapstick at times.

Looks like their bench has a lot of first teamers on it, so might tighten up a lot and get nervy if they get one back. Hopefully we can cut out the mistakes and exercise more control second half. Equally, if their defence does not improve would fancy us to get some more.

• Like 1

Half time thoughts….. feels like the next goal will be critical. Both sides are sloppy and full of poor decisions / mistakes. The difference, so far, is that Plymouth have made more costly errors than us - even though we are trying hard to match them! 

As per my earlier post this game has an odd feel to it for me.

Hope I’m flapping unnecessarily but if they make it 3-2 it could get very nervy.  Obviously much prefer for us to get the next goal and go on to really impose ourselves. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

The ball`s holding up nicely in the corners. Several times it`s looked like running out and we`ve got a cross in.

Has LJ been out there measuring it?

16 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Why are we inviting Plymouth onto us, dicking around at the back, idotic.

Infuriating, isn't it. We never seem to learn. Sometimes the ball just needs to go down the line. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Jerseybean said:

Half time thoughts….. feels like the next goal will be critical. Both sides are sloppy and full of poor decisions / mistakes. The difference, so far, is that Plymouth have made more costly errors than us - even though we are trying hard to match them! 

Hope I’m flapping unnecessarily but if they make it 3-2 it could get very nervy.  Obviously much prefer for us to get the next goal and go on to really impose ourselves. 

To be fair, we could have had six and their one came out of the blue. So far, it’s more one sided than the Oxford cup game. Genuinely.

2 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Agree with all that. You got to feel there will be a ‘next goal’.

In terms of pure football, I thought we were arguably better first half against WBA, but will take this score all day long.

2 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

I’m usually a massive flapper but I think we are in a great position. We will have space to score more as they come at us. We’ve got options tonight too. It would be a little concerning not to win it from here.