IGNORED

Plymouth Argyle at home match thread

Whilst this was a great result and, on the whole, a good display, we did manage to give Plymouth plenty of chances. 

The usual suspects, Naismith, Vyner and O'Leary gave the ball directly to an opposing player in a dangerous position. Some great tackling, and some poor Plymouth finishing disguised this. Do the same against Leicester and Vardy is going home with the ball under his shirt. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Nuno Gomes said:

Comment on Pasoti made me laugh.  They compared last night and the 2 sides to the Indiana Jones bit where the guy stands in front of him wielding a sword and doing all sorts with it.  Indiana stands there looking bored then gets out his gun and shoots him. 

Brilliant scene, which only happened because Harrison Ford had diarrhea and so wasn't well enough to film the planned sword-fight.

• Haha 4

Great performance and great atmosphere in parts but it was a bit embarrassing when thousands left before half time.

There was obviously going to be quite a bit of extra time because of the early technical incident so we had about 8-10 minutes with a sparse crowd.

In that time Plymouth were imploding, their keeper let a ball run out of play when it was a corner and then a terrible pass I think it was.

Anyway it had the Plymouth fans singing “this is an embarrassment” but our crowd was silent when they should really have been hammering Plymouth and making their players even more uncomfortable.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Have to say their number 6 is probably the worst centre back I’ve seen in the championship against us. They were awful at the back 

Agree. If they defend like they did last night, they will go straight back down. I thought they were abysmal. Whether that was down to us being close to our ruthless best, the seven changes they made, or somewhere in between, teams that defend as badly as them don’t last long at this level and they were all over the place at the back. Their keeper was dire as well. 

Edited by tin
  • Like 1
14 minutes ago, Nuno Gomes said:

Comment on Pasoti made me laugh.  They compared last night and the 2 sides to the Indiana Jones bit where the guy stands in front of him wielding a sword and doing all sorts with it.  Indiana stands there looking bored then gets out his gun and shoots him. 

Read a lot of comments that we 'were nothing special' and 'no great shakes'. We were 2 or 3 clear for most of the game dumbarses, we did what we needed to do, very well and battered you, with ease.

As for your 'inexperienced team', look up the age of some of ours!

U ?'s.

• Like 3

What is going on in the south stand with all the empty seats?

All seats are taken up in there, mainly season cards.

Lots in the lower lansdown as well, find it embarrassing to be honest.

Doesn't look good, and makes the attendance figure announced laughable.

But more importantly on the pitch City were on it from the start, albeit against a poor Janners side who were all over the place.

As soon as I seen the line up for them I fancied our chances.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Spudgun said:

What is going on in the south stand with all the empty seats?

All seats are taken up in there, mainly season cards.

Lots in the lower lansdown as well, find it embarrassing to be honest.

Doesn't look good, and makes the attendance figure announced laughable.

But more importantly on the pitch City were on it from the start, albeit against a poor Janners side who were all over the place.

As soon as I seen the line up for them I fancied our chances.

Kids / late nights! ??‍♂️

14 minutes ago, tin said:

Agree. If they defend like they did last night, they will go straight back down. I thought they were abysmal. Whether that was down to us being close to our ruthless best, the seven changes they made, or somewhere in between, teams that defend as badly as them don’t last long at this level and they were all over the place at the back. Their keeper was dire as well. 

They've had a decent start to the season and were the better side at league leaders PNE on Saturday, so I'm sure they'll be fine. 

I think it was incredibly naive of Schumacher to make 7 changes. You just can't do that in the Championship, especially given they haven't got the deepest of squads. 

I think they play their best 11 and it's a closer game.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Hartleysbeard said:

Possibly but what was the excuse on Saturday? An even more sparse crowd in sections of South Stand and Lansdown especially. 

Oooh, didn’t notice on Saturday.  No idea then.

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Have you got any data on eDT* Dave? If so can we extrapolate how often the server will fall over for the rest of the season??

*Expected Down Time

Zero%.  In @TomF we trust.

Post match Nigel Pearson spoke of fine margins and the fact we could’ve scored more.

My post match thoughts were less positive.

Firstly, I think we were very sloppy and made lots of poor decisions on the night. We certainly didn’t control the game or the ball particularly well.

Perhaps we could’ve scored more, as NP suggested, but certainly Plymouth had three gilt edge opportunities - one following Max’s sloppy clearance, then when they hit the post and at the death when ZV’s superb tackle prevented a certain goal.

Finally, I was really hacked off by two stupid yellow cards. Does anybody know if the club fine players for picking up a yellow card when they delay a free kick or throw the ball away?

In the first half Wells picked up a card for this which should’ve been more than enough warning to the rest of the players, however, in the second half Tanner joined him for the same offence. Really is not very professional. Everyone knows that referees are going to issue cards for such behaviour.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Gibson 17

Scarr 6

Scarr was truly abysmal, mind you the 29 (Hayden) looked to me like he’d won a competition to play, started at RB & Bell absolutely murdered him, then got switched to LB & Sykes did exactly the same thing.

Wasn’t even in the same post code when he scored our third, terrible.

7 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Post match Nigel Pearson spoke of fine margins and the fact we could’ve scored more.

Firstly, I think we were very sloppy and made lots of poor decisions on the night. We certainly didn’t control the game or the ball particularly well.

Perhaps we could’ve scored more, as NP suggested, but certainly Plymouth had three gilt edge opportunities - one following Max’s sloppy clearance, then when they hit the post and at the death when ZV’s superb tackle prevented a certain goal.

Finally, I was really hacked off by two stupid yellow cards. Does anybody know if the club fine players for picking up a yellow card when they delay a free kick or throw the ball away?

In the first half Wells picked up a card for this which should’ve been more than enough warning to the rest of the players, however, in the second half Tanner joined him for the same offence. Really is not very professional. Everyone knows that referees are going to issue cards for such behaviour.

Yes it could have been better, but it can always be better. We could have scored more. Bell and Sykes should both of had two on the night. But we won 4-1. As I said elsewhere moaning is the national sport. 

• Flames 1
12 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Scarr was truly abysmal, mind you the 29 (Hayden) looked to me like he’d won a competition to play, started at RB & Bell absolutely murdered him, then got switched to LB & Sykes did exactly the same thing.

Wasn’t even in the same post code when he scored our third, terrible.

He can’t defend…he’s a modern day FB / WB in the sense that he’s a bomber.  I’ve rarely seen a player make so many runs at full-tilt, no lack of commitment to running forwards.  Running back a bit different.

On 19/09/2023 at 13:35, Major Isewater said:

Out of curiosity overall just how many Championship games are won by three goal margins ? 
I would imagine it’s very few view the competitive nature of the division where anyone can beat anyone. 

Right on cue eh Major! Was thinking of our conversation last night when the goals were flying in. 

I have a few Plymouth supporting mates, one very good friend in particular.  Some who live in Plymouth, and some who grew up down there and moved to Bristol many years ago, including the very good friend.  To a man they were amazed at the 7 changes, and collectively feared the worst before the game once the teams were announced.  They also commented on the empty seats, especially in the South Stand.  The more locally based Plymouth fans were reassuring the others in the group that the SS would fill just before kick off as many would still be in the concourse using the bars etc. but alas, it didn't transpire, and I didn't really have much of an explanation as to why that was.

I think they'll be fine moving forward.  As others have said the 7 changes were pretty naive, and in the words of some of the above they thought Steven Schumacher had mistaken the game for a Carabao Cup tie not a "local derby" (I know peoples interpretation of a local derby in this context differs to a greater or lesser degree, their words not mine)

36 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

They've had a decent start to the season and were the better side at league leaders PNE on Saturday, so I'm sure they'll be fine. 

I think it was incredibly naive of Schumacher to make 7 changes. You just can't do that in the Championship, especially given they haven't got the deepest of squads. 

Yeah, I get that, and they looked decent going forward. While I agree you can’t make seven changes at get away with it, you can’t defend like that. Shame we couldn’t catch up last night either, mate. Next time. 

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Magicdaps said:

I have a few Plymouth supporting mates, one very good friend in particular.  Some who live in Plymouth, and some who grew up down there and moved to Bristol many years ago, including the very good friend.  To a man they were amazed at the 7 changes, and collectively feared the worst before the game once the teams were announced.  They also commented on the empty seats, especially in the South Stand.  The more locally based Plymouth fans were reassuring the others in the group that the SS would fill just before kick off as many would still be in the concourse using the bars etc. but alas, it didn't transpire, and I didn't really have much of an explanation as to why that was.

I think they'll be fine moving forward.  As others have said the 7 changes were pretty naive, and in the words of some of the above they thought Steven Schumacher had mistaken the game for a Carabao Cup tie not a "local derby" (I know peoples interpretation of a local derby in this context differs to a greater or lesser degree, their words not mine)

Lots of transport issues last night. Trains not running and the A369 shut possibly impacted quite a few.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Very quick lesson for Schumacher to take on board don’t think he will do that again , in this game if your not at it 1% your in trouble , think he will have some uncomfortable questions fired at him today 

1 hour ago, Jerseybean said:

Fancy supporting a team that doesn’t score that many goals and being ****** off when they win 4-1 focusing SOLELY on the negatives. **** I……..

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Chivs said:

Whilst this was a great result and, on the whole, a good display, we did manage to give Plymouth plenty of chances. 

The usual suspects, Naismith, Vyner and O'Leary gave the ball directly to an opposing player in a dangerous position. Some great tackling, and some poor Plymouth finishing disguised this. Do the same against Leicester and Vardy is going home with the ball under his shirt. 

I think you are right but imo it’s down to the fact that we either play open or cautious, we aren’t quite good enough yet to get the balance right. Last night we were open and that meant we took chances. My guess is that on Sunday we will revert to a very counter attacking game which doesn’t involve drawing Leicester on and trying to play through them starting from Max.

• Like 1