IGNORED

Pearson Post Match

petehinton

12 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Lee Johnson got a huge new deal during one of the worst losing runs in the clubs history. Nige isn't getting a new deal despite the laundry list of positives he has delivered. Lansdown should be on his knees kissing Nige's size 11 Air Force 1s begging for him to stay another 3 years. 

Favourites. The old mates club strikes again.

Forgot about that but you’re absolutely right. SL rewarded inexperience and bullshit, but ignores experience and progress. That tells us all what he knows about football - **** all. All aboard the Marie Celeste? No thanks, Steve. Close the door on the way out. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, B-Rizzle said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. This must be something to do with a potential sale, no?

SL has had a lot of grief in recent months: first over the lack of investment following the sale of Scott and now this. While I agree with most, that this doesn’t reflect well on SL, it does seem to me that he’s preparing for a fairly imminent sale…

He’s making us more financially attractive and doesn’t have a manager under a whopping long contract (that future owners might want to replace at some point).

We might not like it right now, in the short term, but if this strategy results in us in getting the best possible new owner then isn’t this actually good stewardship from SL and good for Bristol City?

(it’s always good to play devils advocate a bit otherwise people just keep whipping each other up into hysteria)

There is an element of truth to it, provided that a takeover swiftly follows.

Cards on table, got a lot of time for NP, he is straightforward, experienced and given everything he has done he absolutely deserves an extension, say a 12 month rolling contract. Than to be given a fair crack of the whip in terms of support.

The worse situation of all however is uncertainty. Players not knowing who their boss is at the end of the season, NP himself not knowing where the hell he is. The next transfer window, what, treading water?

Either back him, now, or give him the courtesy of an answer as to when a decision will be taken and what way the wind is blowing.

Frankly, after the high of a very decent win, this is all a bit of a downer.

• Like 3

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

There is an element of truth to it, provided that a takeover swiftly follows.

Of course I’m speculating and any potential takeover is hypothetical. I’m just trying to present a different interpretation of recent events because I’m struggling to make sense of them without!

• Like 1

Just now, B-Rizzle said:

Of course I’m speculating and any potential takeover is hypothetical. I’m just trying to present a different interpretation of recent events because I’m struggling to make sense of them without!

This is a fair theory and scenario.

There is  real and overarching sense of drift, stagnation.  I don't mean the team, the team is developing and progressing despite this.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

So the real answer for any long term progress is to sort out the board level of the club, not just put an increasingly tired and ****** off Nigel Pearson on a new contract.

That's all I'm saying, Pearson alone is not the silver bullet for our problems.

If people are suggesting a short extension of Pearson to allow the board level tidy up to occur then fine, but I've no confidence in Lansdown to do that.

Thus it matters not if it's Pearson or another in the dugout, the course is already set regardless of who is at the helm.

All aboard the League 1 express, stopping at Carlisle, Burton, Port Vale, and Horfield. 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

So the real answer for any long term progress is to sort out the board level of the club, not just put an increasingly tired and ****** off Nigel Pearson on a new contract.

If people are suggesting a short extension of Pearson to allow the board level tidy up to occur then fine, but I've no confidence in Lansdown to do that.

Thus it matters not if it's Pearson or another in the dugout, the course is already set regardless of who is at the helm.

No, but look at the difference to our club when an experienced manager actually stands up to the interference from above rather than tickling their balls like Johnson, Ashton and Holden.

• Like 16
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

While I agree with a lot of what you say in general , I don’t agree at all that “it matters not if it’s Pearson or another in the dugout” right now. 

He is the face of the club, the communicator, the man responsible for bringing through youth, setting the culture, building an identity, reducing costs and has us 8th in the second tier. That’s an unbelievable achievement IMO. 

I think the situation is so volatile that should he leave, it would create a huge vacuum behind him. There’s no board, most of the coaching staff are here because of him (and would follow him out the door), we have a small and injury-hit squad, and I could only see us capitulating in all probability. 

When you factor in SL’s track record of appointing managers over more than two decades, and it doesn’t take Einstein to see what’s coming.

Edited by tin
  • Like 18

12 minutes ago, B-Rizzle said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. This must be something to do with a potential sale, no?

SL has had a lot of grief in recent months: first over the lack of investment following the sale of Scott and now this. While I agree with most, that this doesn’t reflect well on SL, it does seem to me that he’s preparing for a fairly imminent sale…

He’s making us more financially attractive and doesn’t have a manager under a whopping long contract (that future owners might want to replace at some point).

We might not like it right now, in the short term, but if this strategy results in us in getting the best possible new owner then isn’t this actually good stewardship from SL and good for Bristol City?

(it’s always good to play devils advocate a bit otherwise people just keep whipping each other up into hysteria)

There is no sale on the horizon. There was a slight bit of interest from the U.S a while back but they only wanted the football - and them at soon went away 

We are a club with an invisible owner, and invisible chairman and no CEO

Lansdowns tenure seems to be heading in a really sour direction and I get the impression he doesn’t care and is quite happy to take it there. “It’s his club” after all 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

There is no sale on the horizon. There was a slight bit of interest from the U.S a while back but they only wanted the football - and them at soon went away 

We are a club with an invisible owner, and invisible chairman and no CEO

Lansdowns tenure seems to be heading in a really sour direction and I get the impression he doesn’t care and is quite happy to take it there. “It’s his club” after all 

How do you know this, do you have inside information? Or just repeated things stated before without any basis 

3 hours ago, nickolas said:

Tbf, if hes waiting for a conversation with the awkward and inept JL then he’ll be waiting a long time. Nige must be laughing at JL and how little footballing knowledge he has. 
The bloke should at minimum be given a years extension rolling contract to carry on where he has us. 
Im not having all this ‘look where hes got us after Holden’ crap either. A thin squad full of kids and very little spend and we sit 8th. Give the bloke some hard £ and see what happens. 
i said when he was appointed he was a very unlikely SL managerial appointment. Not a yes man. Not someone who is ‘nice’. Absolutely everything we needed. A hard b-stard who is sorting us out. 
What a crying shame if big Steve doesnt like it and is having second thoughts. 

This 👍

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

You are trying to hard to hide your dislike of a Pearson aren’t you

I don’t know how long you’ve been around , but you totally underestimate the job Pearson has done

Name me a better manager we’ve had in last 40 years 

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Agree Nige is not the silver bullet but he is dictating the standards that are set through the football club at the moment. To suggest his influence is just in the dugout is doing him a massive disservice. He's setting the footballing standards for the men's teams, and the women's teams. He's creating the culture at the club that lays the foundations for success. 

It's very possible that he might not be able to realise the full potential of the club via first team results, but his impact as of now is massive, and we have an owner who has a track record of making incredibly poor footballing decisions. 

So I don't think we should underestimate what we have in Nige. 

Brilliant post

There’s still a few who need to digest it 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Like all fans, particularly given the poor communication from our club, I largely have to rely upon what NP says, and my ability to read between the lines to figure out what’s happening at my beloved football club.

To be clear, I have been a NP supporter from day one, and really appreciate his forthright, sensible and principled approach to life and football management. Compared with many of our previous managers he is absolutely in a league of his own.

Changing culture is extremely difficult and time-consuming. I believe he and his staff have done this, despite the many limitations that he/they have had to endure. He has also been central to creating a collective determination to maximize what we have at our disposal on the pitch, something that was very well demonstrated this afternoon.

Regarding his comments today, and my efforts to read between the lines, I’m not entirely sure how much of what he had to say, about being irritated, related to his current health issues, and how much related to his uncertainty re his future at the club.

It is clear from this thread that he enjoys pretty solid support among the fan base, and as others have suggested perhaps it’s time for the voice of supporters to be appropriately expressed.

I sincerely hope he is offered and accepts a contract extension before too long.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

@JerrySLO, please could you use your position to pass on the feelings of supporters as best you can?

I have reached out to NPs media / PR ‘agent’ as follows….

Dear Dean

Trust you are well.
Please could you share this link with Nigel Pearson? https://www.otib.co.uk/topic/222359-pearson-post-match/page/8/#comment-4700168

Thank you in anticipation.
  • Like 9
  • Robin 1

36 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Agree Nige is not the silver bullet but he is dictating the standards that are set through the football club at the moment. To suggest his influence is just in the dugout is doing him a massive disservice. He's setting the footballing standards for the men's teams, and the women's teams. He's creating the culture at the club that lays the foundations for success. 

It's very possible that he might not be able to realise the full potential of the club via first team results, but his impact as of now is massive, and we have an owner who has a track record of making incredibly poor footballing decisions. 

So I don't think we should underestimate what we have in Nige. 

Bang on. Think that effort on the pitch is due to anyone else? There might be a lack of experience. Lack of quality in places, but no lack of throwing bodies on the line and heart. Getting a whole squad to do that is very hard to replace

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

If there is any justice in Football, a bigger club would swoop in and offer NP a new and better position at a bigger and better club.

Leaving the Lansdowns to sort out that mess would be poetry in motion.

NP deserves better than this treatment, he really does.

Agreed, the current treatment is baffling and a disgrace really.

The thing is if we get a young manager and expansive CEO with the nest egg NP has built up, and we don't go up we will be back in an identical mess but we will not find another NP, and indeed in his area of expertise, Gould to save us. We would be in a deep hole as I do not think we would happen upon another equal to NP and indeed Gould at the same time.

We should all be very happy, first win vs Coventry in 3 years, is that Dickie's first League goal for us, all these injuries yet 8th. Yet this uncertainty casts a needless shadow and cannot be any good for morale.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

• Admin
4 hours ago, petehinton said:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-manager-nigel-pearson-8848911

Veru much seems like he’s had enough of the contract situation, and is pushing for someone (SL!!!) to actually have some balls and have a conversation with him about it. Imagine he feels like he has strong enough support of fans and staff internally to be able to publicly say this too.

Brilliant, and bloody good on him imo. 

FCB5951E-290A-4BB6-8C0F-BC19529202DC.jpeg

E0CBE6DC-841B-4ADD-9222-3F893F5C6700.jpeg

How many members of club hierarchy are there? 

Did he mean our directors etc? 

Then we know who has previous for this 

14 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

@JerrySLO, please could you use your position to pass on the feelings of supporters as best you can?

Nothing to do with Jerry's role 

• Sad 1