IGNORED

Joe Sims interview with JL

Dastardly and Muttley

58 minutes ago, noize said:

Not sure if i have this right, i was trying to see how we stack up for our "Top 10 Budget"

I looked at transfermarkt.co.uk and came up with the below

CHAMPIONSHIP SPEND 23/24

CLUB Spend
LEEDS UNITED € 118.90
LEICESTER CITY € 101.50
SOUTHAMPTON FC € 62.50
HULL CITY € 39.53
STOKE CITY € 38.75
COVENTRY CITY € 38.25
BIRMINGHAM CITY € 34.95
SWANSEA CITY € 31.70
MIDDLESBROUGH FC € 29.30
NORWICH CITY € 27.25
SUNDERLAND AFC € 25.05
SWANSEA CITY € 23.90
CARDIFF CITY € 23.60
MILLWALL FC € 20.95
WEST BROMWICH ALBION € 19.45
IPSWICH TOWN € 19.25
BRISTOL CITY € 17.65
BLACKBURN ROVERS € 15.60
PLYMOUTH ARGYLE € 15.15
PRESTON NORTH END € 14.62
SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY € 11.15
ROTHERHAM UNITED € 9.80
HUDDERSFIELD TOWN € 9.30
QUEENS PARK RANGERS € 8.25

Spend or budget ?

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Caller has a dig at City fans for having goes at the Lansdowns. He tells us to talk to fans of Reading, Sheffield Wednesday and Cardiff before having a go at our owners. Maybe while chatting to them we can also ask them what the Premier League was like. 

Not yet listened although of those 3, Yongge at Reading and Chansiri at Sheffield Wednesday have been a general disaster.

They only went down under them...and financial issues. PL predated them. 

Tan and Cardiff is the better comparison, they did go up twice yes.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Shuffle said:

If the Lansdowns had come & said we are dismissing Nigel because he’s coming to the end of his contract that we will not  extend so best to make the change now to allow a new manager to have 32 games to build towards our ambition then I’d have more respect for them.

The fact that they are savaging men’s reputations such as Nige, Rennie & Euell is a cheap shot & frankly stinks. The top 10 budget has to be a myth but in essence the Lansdowns are cowards who hide behind results & inflicted injuries as the reason.

Just say it’s becoming untenable to work with Nige so let’s change direction. I’d have more time for them if they showed a degree of integrity but the constantly hide behind lies. Just grow a pair and tell the truth as we can deal with that !

100%.

Front up, say there was a clash of personalities & we have decided to go in a different direction.

Don’t have to agree with that, but it is a coherent argument.

Lying about budgets & questioning Rennie’s professional opinion shows them up for what they truly are.

• Like 7
  • Flames 2

2 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Spend or budget ?

Can anyone clarify from either of JL's interviews whether he was actually asked why the club didn't reinvest any of the Scott money into the playing squad?

No doubt, he could have fallen back on the "We already have a top 10 budget " nonsense, but it would have been good at least to give him the opportunity to explain what happened to the Plan A and Plan B transfer policy that NP spoke about in the summer.

Many thanks👍

55 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Math Withers on now pulling the “could be Reading, could be Weds” card and saying Lansdown has “fronted up”.

So, Jon’s been interviewed by a quasi club employee and now we have the podcast who are “in” with the club. Nice balance guys, nice balance.

FFS, the “it could be worse” argument trotted out yet again.

Eff off.

40 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

I'm afraid in business it just not done to wash all of your dirty laundry in public, otherwise it would just become a public slanging match which is not good for anyone. As fans we see only a tiny proportion of what goes on behind the doors of the club, on the forum we may get tip bits from a couple who are ITK, but this may be 2nd or 3rd hand rumours or we get plenty of waffle stated as facts.

At a guess, the relationship between NP and the board (possible including Tins), had broken down, maybe to do with selling Scott and further player recruitment or player training and fitness, NP's alleged absence from training, concerns about his health or maybe just a general bust up. With any of these issues, their would be 2 sides to the argument and what had been discussed, so whilst most see NP as the good guy (as we like him and relate to him, including myself) and the board as evil, we don't know the full picture.

It would seem that there was no way NP's contract was going to be renewed, so in a way would have left us in a degree of limbo, as the board were not going to let a manager they did not see as the future spend money on players or have no money left for a new manager coming in, hence the "nest egg" comment.

Whilst I am gutted to see Nige go, as he is near the end of his contract, which was not going to be renewed, it was probable for the best and they have been looking for the opportunity however limp to out him, but at least a new head coach can come in, assess what we need and no doubt have money to spend in the next window, so in terms of progress as long as the new quy does not **** it up, we may be better off.

We know that JL is not comfortable public speaking, and to make it worse he is having to spin the narrative about results for NP's departure, whilst knowing the full true story, but that is what happens its PR spin, although may have been better advised to keep quiet, but can not comment to heard the interview.

In a funny way, I think this may have done Nige a favour, he can now concentrate on the most important thing, his health without the stress of football management or contracts.

Why not say that then, irreconcilable differences? Why besmirch Rennie's reputation as being the blame for all the injuries? Blame it all on results when it's clearly not the case? 

I get all the other stuff, I understand totally the nonsense of spin. It doesn't help their case does it?

4 minutes ago, Pheasant plucker said:

I bet he was just talking about our "top earner" (Matty James?) A reputed 27+k a week would put us in that category I'm sure for one player. Just more manipulation of the truth.  Twisting it to suit.

Not a chance Matty James is on £27k a week.

Not saying he’s not well paid but never that much.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Nugget said:

‘We’ve got the ability to out perform that budget’ - eg there’s money available but not for Nige

I don't think that's what he's saying at all.

He's saying the players we've got are good enough to finish higher in the table than where you'd expect for what we spend on them. 

BUT THEY'RE INJURED YOU T.W.A.T!

So then he blames the medics and the training regime - like he knows better than the professionals!   

If Sims had any sense he'd reply - so why didn't you sack Johnson for not out performing the budget? why are you holding Pearson to a different standard? why are you so mealy mouthed about praising the work he's done? it's personal Junior isn't it? daddy doesn't like him? come on son, stand on your own two feet for once and admit it - you're fekin useless, aren't you?  

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 4

37 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

I’m going to use this nonsense argument with all players that ever receive criticism.

Dont think Max is good enough? Be careful what you wish for, we could have Elliott Parish.

Cornick played badly? Think yourself lucky, we could have Bas Savage instead.

About as good an argument as it is original.

So I guess the difference is the club-wide, existential impact that a bad player can have versus that a bad owner can have. And also the preponderance of really bad owners throughout English football in last few years. 

That said, I agree that its not really a useful argument - it's just the other side of the Lansdown is the devil argument. Maybe next owner will be awful; maybe they will be amazing; maybe at times they will be both. But there will be a different owner in the future at some point, so we will find out then. 

For my part, I think there are very clearly things that the Lansdown era has done to advance the club and put us on a firm footing and I'm sad that things have turned so toxic as we have much to be thankful for with an owner like this. I also believe he has done it for the 'right' reasons and it has cost him not insignificant fortunes, even by the standards of his own wealth. 

But clearly he has made mistakes and we have lacked a really consistent plan over years. And the leadership seem to keep shifting that plan fairly whimsically in favour of the next shiny thing (RIP the pillars) or the public communication between plan (self reliance, focus on Academy, cut our cloth, nest egg) is at odds with the public communication of targets and expectations (get promoted, dont fall into the bottom half of table even for a few weeks, outperform, top 10 budget, great squad). That, as a fan, is frustrating and requires really good, open comms to fully understand and question - and we don't get that these days, which adds to the toxicity, which then - apparently - makes leadership retreat from that toxicity even further. A vicious circle.

Most importantly, appointing his own very inexperienced and seemingly somewhat disinterested son as Chair was a catastrophic error. You need to work twice as hard to overcome nepotism, not half as hard. But, with that decision made, we need to understand that it is his son and so an almost impossible decision to roll back because obviously, picking between the club and your blood, you choose the latter. 

I think a lot of the toxicity flows from this replacement when Steve decided to take a step back and Steve's inability/understandable unwillingness to roll it back or intervene to address it. It wasn't a serious decision that you'd expect from a serious man like him. And that, I think, has always undermined some of the serious aspirations they have for this club. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I don't think that's what he's saying at all.

He's saying the players we've got are good enough to finish higher in the table than where you'd expect for what we spend on them. 

BUT THEY'RE INJURED YOU T.W.A.T!

So then he blames the medics and the training regime - like he knows better than the professionals!   

If Sims had any sense he'd reply - so why didn't you sack Johnson for not out performing the budget? why are you holding Pearson to a different standard? why are you so mealy mouthed about praising the work he's done? it's personal Junior isn't it? daddy doesn't like him? come on son, stand on your own two feet for once and admit it - you're fekin useless, aren't you?  

Sims is being interviewed on Robins TV tomorrow, in what way can he be seen as impartial here?

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Perhaps Johnson should’ve done that more, we usually came back after international breaks playing abysmally. I think @Olé once wrote a thread on it. 

Like Fleming said, I don’t believe many of the injuries occurred out of games did they?

Anyone know if they played the interview in full or did they play clips throughout the show?

Yep, we always played like our heads were full of a load of convoluted tactical crap which would've happened with 2 weeks of Overcoaching 

32 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

To me as an unqualified person. It seems obvious that if you have such a small squad which is already depleted by injuries, then you'd give them rest when you can. 

That should have been what Joe said to Jon when Jon spoke about the excessive rest. He should then of also gone on and said the reason why we have such a small squad that needs rest is because you failed to invest any of the Alex Scott money.

The bare faced cheek of Jon Lansdown talking about excessive rest. I guess spending months on end in Bermuda isn't an 80 hours a week work fest. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Why not say that then, irreconcilable differences? Why besmirch Rennie's reputation as being the blame for all the injuries? Blame it all on results when it's clearly not the case? 

I get all the other stuff, I understand totally the nonsense of spin. It doesn't help their case does it?

I don't disagree they could handle things differently but thats easily said without being a fly on the wall and knowing what reality is. but in truth would not make any difference to a lot on here who just like to jump on a band wagon without giving much thought to a possible bigger picture 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, !james said:

Will listen later, can anyone summarise anything vaguely interesting or controversial that we haven't already heard before?! 

"People don't appreciate how much we've done for the club or that I'm  expert in sport science, functional anatomy and biomechanics.   Me and Brian Tinnion will decide if Frank Lampard can manage a football club. "

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

404 people out of 18k users. 

404 out of a fanbase of 40-50k.

Like I said, small minority. 

That’s just on here ? The voices on Twitter were far more vocal and and in large quantity … and as equally valid as the posters on here … yes there was a time … but it has improved since then …. So I’d say he’s not wrong in his comment .. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1