IGNORED

Huddersfield Town away match thread

Jerseybean

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

I reckon Tanner LB.

On the one hand, Manning has nowhere to hide if this team loses. On the other, I felt Pring was one of the worst culprits for ceding possession v Norwich and Manning obviously has a way he wants to play. That said, not convinced on Williams or Weimann in a possession based team…

Even ******* worse if it’s Tanner LB with Belly ahead of him

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, BCFC Rich said:

Random question what is your Avatar a picture of? Every time I see it out of the corner of my eye I think it's the Bolton Wanderers Badge 😂!

:laugh:, it's not the Bolton Wanderers badge :laugh:.

It is a squiggle.

A short line that loops and curves in an irregular fashion

Enough said :laugh:

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I reckon Tanner LB.

On the one hand, Manning has nowhere to hide if this team loses. On the other, I felt Pring was one of the worst culprits for ceding possession v Norwich and Manning obviously has a way he wants to play. That said, not convinced on Williams or Weimann in a possession based team…

Tgh and james are about the only ones weve got who can play possession, why on earth would you put williams in instead of tgh?

Busy period coming up, maybe with that in mind.

Sykes can do RB no problem, not too sure of Tanner on the left though with I assume Bell in front, or maybe Weimann.

The rest is fine imo, TGH in for a Blackburn start I'd think.

2 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Tgh and james are about the only ones weve got who can play possession, why on earth would you put williams in instead of tgh?

In fairness, I’d say Dickie and Tanner can too. But yes, I don’t really get the rationale for Williams over TGH.

Edited by LondonBristolian

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

One thing you have to say, he’s not going for the safe option. Assuming no injuries then dropping our best left back, playing Sykes out of position and benching TGH who is probably our most creative outlet of the two in midfield when you’re under pressure (and he is) is ballsy or foolhardy.

John Lennon once said that he wasn’t sure he was a genius or a madman. This is giving off the same vibes.

I think he's very data driven and that impacts his decisions. 

I don't know how we're lining up but lets say Sykes is playing at LB then that will be because he's seen something in the data which makes him think it would be beneficial for us to play Sykes at LB. 

I think he tries to be too clever is an early observation of mine. 

It just seems rather bizarre. 

Just seen the team and I have no idea of the reasoning, but.

Pring is our only left back and that is a bold move to drop him, even tough he has not been great.

TGH has been as good as anyone , I wonder if he doesn't want money spent on him and has other targets .

I really rate Sykes, but not at FB and definitely not at LB or left side. 

I don't get this line up , but I'm not the Manager who has watched them all week. I will wait to complain until later.

• Like 1

Afternoon all!   Well I am in total confusion about this team selection, no GHM, unless he had a knock against Norwich, same with Pring, both on the bench, so could come on if needed. Gary Owers reckons it 5 at the back as LM wants to keep it tight, so is it going to be a backs to the wall job and relying on breaks.  We shall see, anyway Come On You Reds.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think he's very data driven and that impacts his decisions. 

I don't know how we're lining up but lets say Sykes is playing at LB then that will be because he's seen something in the data which makes him think it would be beneficial for us to play Sykes at LB. 

If that's the case I suggest he stops looking down at the data on his tablet and tries looking at the bloody pitch.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Plus he's not playing well

I feel like Pring has been asked to curb his attacking runs to make us more ‘steady’ at the back, but then we are losing one of our best attacking outlets. 

Not convinced by this lineup at all, prove me wrong City….

Just now, brad blit said:

I feel like Pring has been asked to curb his attacking runs to make us more ‘steady’ at the back, but then we are losing one of our best attacking outlets. 

Not convinced by this lineup at all, prove me wrong City….

I'm no tactical expert and my view from the SS is limited. 

However it looks like that when we are in posession of the ball we go to 3 at the back. Against Norwich it seemed as if Tanner was the one that was given the freedom to get forward where as Pring was instructed to stay back. Ideally for me you'd want it the other way round as Tanner the better defender of the two and Pring is better at attacking of the two. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Possibly a bit of rotation with midweek game.  Agree he’s been excellent.

Why rotate him though compared to others?  He’s been up there with our best players.   He’s young, presumably very fit.  Just no need.   If he’s carrying a heavy knock fair enough.   Otherwise….

• Like 1

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'm no tactical expert and my view from the SS is limited. 

However it looks like that when we are in posession of the ball we go to 3 at the back. Against Norwich it seemed as if Tanner was the one that was given the freedom to get forward where as Pring was instructed to stay back. Ideally for me you'd want it the other way round as Tanner the better defender of the two and Pring is better at attacking of the two. 

I think it’s just natural that the back four play like they’re on a big bungee rope, as RB goes forward, LB tucks in, RCB shifts right, LCB shifts right, so it looks more like a three.

and vice versa when the LB goes forward.

Last week Tanner got further forward than Pring in the main, but it hasn’t been like that in every game.

Similar happened under Nige.

8 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Just seen the team and I have no idea of the reasoning, but.

Pring is our only left back and that is a bold move to drop him, even tough he has not been great.

TGH has been as good as anyone , I wonder if he doesn't want money spent on him and has other targets .

I really rate Sykes, but not at FB and definitely not at LB or left side. 

I don't get this line up , but I'm not the Manager who has watched them all week. I will wait to complain until later.

Looks a very lopsided eleven...

No way Uddersfield' could have expected this (whatever it is), so maybe that's the plan- bafflement 😆

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, old_eastender said:

Bizzare first 11 pick, unless TGH & Pring are nursing knocks. 

I wish the club would tell us if that’s the case or not. Always see tweets from other teams like “”so and so misses out today with a minor knee injury”. 

Meanwhile we’ve all gotta turn into Sherlock Holmes trying to figure out what’s going on. 

Just now, Wade Wilson said:

I wish the club would tell us if that’s the case or not. Always see tweets from other teams like “”so and so misses out today with a minor knee injury”. 

Meanwhile we’ve all gotta turn into Sherlock Holmes trying to figure out what’s going on. 

I assume it will be mentioned in the pre match interview if they are injured. Just need to wait for that 

Just now, Wade Wilson said:

I don't think even Sherlock could work out whats going on at our club atm.

• Like 1

It's certainly not the team I would have picked BUT let's see what happens in the game first.........I know they are pro's and should be able to use both feet but notwithstanding that it cannot be often that a team with 11 right footed players is selected?..........above Sunday League Division 6 level I mean.

I agree with a few though, if we do get done he has left himself exposed.

1 minute ago, Wade Wilson said:

I'd prefer we hear too, but my preference is for after the game. Better to keep the opposition guessing and a little unsure of things. 

I wish the club would tell us if that’s the case or not.

Maybe Manning likes to play his cards close to his chest, keep the opposition guessing . Nige was very open later in his tenure and you could pretty much guess the team.

Mannings cunning plan ?

Just now, Robbored said:

What’s random about an entirely predictable line up?

I'll tell you what, there's a few on here who wouldn't have Nige that would have been raging at that lineup today. What is predictable about an all right-footed player line-up? We might smash Huddersfield to smithereens, I really hope we do, but I don't see how that line up is predictable and as nobody else predicted it...........!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jose said:

STOP PLAYING SYKES OUT OF POSITION. 

I don’t get it. I like Williams but free flowing he isn’t. 

Very strange and a tad depressing. 

I suspect you are right about Sykes LB - although we don't know for sure, Bell had a few games as Wing back when first breaking through. Also, it's difficult to know who else to play there. Sykes is versatile and is good 1v1 in defense. If Pring and TGH did take a knock who do we play LB? I'd argue Sykes is are best option, not saying it's worth the trade of losing him from attack, but if it is a case of not being able to start Kal, TGH or Pring then who would be better? 

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

I'll tell you what, there's a few on here who wouldn't have Nige that would have been raging at that lineup today. What is predictable about an all right-footed player line-up? We might smash Huddersfield to smithereens, I really hope we do, but I don't see how that line up is predictable and as nobody else predicted it...........!!

Given the injuries to senior players, today’s line up is as good as it gets.

So the pre match with the in house geezer, what's the point ? 
Basically gives Manning the answers to the questions he asks and doesn't ask the questions every wants.
It's why I don't listen to the pre match pressers, except for fitness news. 

Just now, Robbored said:

Given the injuries to senior players, today’s line up is as good as it gets.

I'm not sure playing all right footed players on our left hand side is "as good as it gets". Like I say, I would love to see a comfortable win today but would also happily take a draw as it's a Championship away game. If we get beat having started that side you can't blame people for wondering................

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

So the pre match with the in house geezer, what's the point ? 
Basically gives Manning the answers to the questions he asks and doesn't ask the questions every wants.
It's why I don't listen to the pre match pressers, except for fitness news. 

Manning said he wants legs and energy so he’s made tweaks to increase energy and a bit of a tactical change as well. No injuries 

• Thanks 2

Tbf you’d hope teams aren’t checking twitter an hour before the game so they can decide on a game plan 

You're not going to change your entire game plan, but you're definitely going to look at the positions line up. And you're definitely going to give a team talk before the start of the game. It probably makes very little difference them not knowing, but it might confuse a little and there is no benefit to us giving that info before the game starts.