IGNORED

Huddersfield Town away match thread

2 hours ago, old_eastender said:

I hope Manning quits this nonsense of playing Sykes on the left. On his natural RHS he is so much better and as a team we seem much better balanced. 

I tend to agree.

I actually think Weimann is a better option than Bell to fill the other side.  I think he has a better technical / tactical understanding, and his movement is smarter too.  I’m hoping (it is hope) that he clicks.  I thought he was good first half last week.

Back to Sykes, I think we get good goal and assist productivity out of him on the right.

In fact, it was Weimann drifting infield to feed Sykes that led to the goal.

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I tend to agree.

I actually think Weimann is a better option than Bell to fill the other side.  I think he has a better technical / tactical understanding, and his movement is smarter too.  I’m hoping (it is hope) that he clicks.  I thought he was good first half last week.

Back to Sykes, I think we get good goal and assist productivity out of him on the right.

In fact, it was Weimann drifting infield to feed Sykes that led to the goal.

What do we think of an idea Dave of, okay Sykes always on the right.

Could Conway play a bit left hut not.true full left and Weimann more central, possibly laying the groundwork for Conway to be there and Wells as and when Wells returns?

As Conway as a lone striker is questioned a bit at this point in his development and wondered if it could be a way to incorporate Conway and Wells mainly without weakening the midfield.

That's medium term..but could perhaps help Conway get used to it a bit. Or is he solely best centrally?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
31 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Could Conway play a bit left hut not.true full left and Weimann more central, possibly laying the groundwork for Conway to be there and Wells as and when Wells returns?

As Conway as a lone striker is questioned a bit at this point in his development and wondered if it could be a way to incorporate Conway and Wells mainly without weakening the midfield.

That's medium term..but could perhaps help Conway get used to it a bit. Or is he solely best centrally?

Personally would like to see weimann given a go at CF, he's getting back to 100% and i don't see what we can lose by giving it a go..

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I don’t want to see Conway anywhere other than central.  But that’s just me.  There are other players better at playing “in-between” positions imho.

• Thanks 2
3 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

Huddersfield are fourth from bottom, yet will go just two points behind us if they beat us. In form QPR could also cut the gap to six points if they win their home game/ Potentially looking nervously over our shoulders come 5pm?

I agree a real worry. Under Pearson mid-table looked odds-on, now I'm not as confident even with our supposed "top six" squad!

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, hollydog said:

But that was under Johnson so doesn’t count. 

The budget was also much higher...and the ability to sign players from Championship by which I mean established Championship, PL and other European top 5 or 6 divisions was there.

That's not to discredit Lee Johnson,  he did some good things but some excesses in that tenure helped to lead to a slog..was just thinking about it the other day. For 2 seasons we were having to shop in very different markets.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 5
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1
41 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The budget was also much higher...and the ability to sign players from Championship by which I mean established Championship, PL and other European top 5 or 6 divisions was there.

That's not to discredit Lee Johnson,  he did some good things but some excesses in that tenure helped to lead to a slog..was just thinking about it the other day. For 2 seasons we were having to shop in very different markets.

Thanks to Ashton, FFP and COVID, we have had our own “cost of living crisis”. We’ve gone from shopping at Waitrose and up market foreign delis under Johnson to Lidl and “grow your own” under Pearson!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, old_eastender said:

I hope Manning quits this nonsense of playing Sykes on the left. On his natural RHS he is so much better and as a team we seem much better balanced. 

We do, but there is sometimes cause for it. Sykes started on the left at Southampton and the rationale there I’d imagine is that it enabled us to have someone who’d work back and cover for Kals lack of pace. The “normal” left side of Bell or Mehmeti is pretty naive tactically and don’t work both ways so Sykes on the left made sense to avoid us being exposed (it’s in a lot of ways why Pring hasn’t been as effective this year - he’s managing that side solo).

With Pring now back I agree Sykes should be right side but I don’t think the initial move was unjustified - it just shouldn’t have carried into the Norwich game.

Edited by Silvio Dante
  • Like 2
  • Hmmm 1
1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t want to see Conway anywhere other than central.  But that’s just me.  There are other players better at playing “in-between” positions imho.

Agree & looking at what we have available there are 10 certs with the last spot between Weimann, Bell, Mehmeti & Cornick.

Won’t be surprised at all to see us unchanged bar some last minute unforeseen circumstance.