IGNORED

The Gaffer speaks after tonight’s defeat

RedLionLad

4 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Don't think I've seen one post saying he should be sacked, yet. 

Everyone here wants Manning to succeed, because if he does, it means we will succeed. However it is likely he'll bugger off at the first opportunity. 

Right now people are pointing out the mistakes Manning has made in the hope that he will learn from them. 

A few weeks ago I posted about my concerns of over loading the players. In his last two interviews he himself admits that may have happened. 

Overloaded them!! What, has he asked them to read Principia Mathematica?

Do me a favour

44 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

I've seen loads of posts criticising LM, saying he's out of his depth, boring, lacking confidence etc. The forum is rife with them 

Oh I see what you're saying, I thought you meant calling for him to be sacked.

I do agree I think we as a fanbase should be doing better to keep the heat off of Manning, I think generally most people are doing that though and directing their frustrations above him.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

You could argue that there wae still enough to get more points on the board than we did. Anyway, the fact still remains that it's illogical to judge a manager after six games or whatever it is. Even if you have an agenda (as many people do), what good will it do haranguing LM out of a job before he's been given a fair crack of the whip? 

Sorry, read back, I see you were referring to the squad Pearson took over.  Again, yes, some good players but not a squad of good players, and one of lazy attitudes (good old cosy club).  Listen to Tomas Kalas at the time, that told me everything.  Listen to Paul Simpson after his one game in charge.  A number of wrong’uns.  And it takes time to run through that cycle of contracts.

It is clear that once their futures had been decided, Nige embarked on seeing whether the academy lads could step-up.  The early victories and losses meant it was Champ football regardless so he experimented.  Results weren’t priority no1 at that point.  It just sped-up the evaluation and decision making process.

• Like 4

I think the decision to change manager AND style of play a third of the way through the season when we were mid table was ludicrous.  These moves should be made before pre season when the new man has time to develop his ideas.

The players look confused and the supporters are completely baffled by what our game plan is. Have we changed from trying to win games to trying not to lose games? That's a completely different set up and imo, so negative. 

The team spirit appears to have gone and if we lose badly against Sunderland, the sh*t will really hit the fan.

• Like 5

I just watched the interview back again

I think he has come to the realisation that the messages they are trying to get across aren't being heard properly - that must be deflating

He is inexperienced himself and perhaps this is a learning curve for him dealing with the most senior (in terms of playing level) players he has dealt with exclusively as manager

It is up to him to find a way to get the message over, I'll admit that for sure

Edited by KingHillRed
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, KingHillRed said:

Interesting to compare - seems eye contact isn't a thing for LM really

I hope he doesn't do that when communicating to players. Lack of eye contact can mean a lot of things - lack of confidence, or lack of belief. Neither good traits for players to pick up on. As much as players need tactics, they also need inspiration. If some bloke isn't even making eye contact with me, then im not inspired at all.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 2

17 minutes ago, KingHillRed said:

I just watched the interview back again

I think he has come to the realisation that the messages they are trying to get across aren't being heard properly - that must be deflating

He is inexperienced himself and perhaps this is a learning curve for him dealing with the most senior (in terms of playing level) players he has dealt with exclusively as manager

It is up to him to find a way to get the message over, I'll admit that for sure

So he's "inexperienced"....

Can't get his messages across....

Learning curve dealing with senior players....

I agree with you in all these mentioned SO, why on earth did crayon boy and sid sack Pearson and choose him as his replacement??

WHAT A COMPLETE **** UP!!!!

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

Bizarrely enough, I was looking back at the EP article from when LM was appointed which gave Dons and Oxford fans views. It was notable that the Oxford fan said that when Manning was appointed he said “He’d look to the academy first for players” - on a word for word basis it was practically the same quote he gave here.

Ignoring whether that actually transpired what it does prove is that he’s got a lot - and I mean a lot - of stock phrases (as do most coaches) - behaviours, process, emotion, cat and mouse etc and I don’t think you’ll ever get much outside of those. The points been made before but it certainly appears to be the case. I think the looking down is a trait and it’s more to do with seeing which phrase fits.

Essentially I wouldn’t be too fussed about him looking down as I’d imagine he’s different with players. However, and equally, I don’t think you’ll ever get anything other than a scripted and fairly mundane answer to any question so trying to glean insights from the post and pre match is often pointless with LM.  The interesting bit is where his scripted points (eg Sykes sub reason) make no sense in the context of the game 

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Bizarrely enough, I was looking back at the EP article from when LM was appointed which gave Dons and Oxford fans views. It was notable that the Oxford fan said that when Manning was appointed he said “He’d look to the academy first for players” - on a word for word basis it was practically the same quote he gave here.

Ignoring whether that actually transpired what it does prove is that he’s got a lot - and I mean a lot - of stock phrases (as do most coaches) - behaviours, process, emotion, cat and mouse etc and I don’t think you’ll ever get much outside of those. The points been made before but it certainly appears to be the case. I think the looking down is a trait and it’s more to do with seeing which phrase fits.

Essentially I wouldn’t be too fussed about him looking down as I’d imagine he’s different with players. However, and equally, I don’t think you’ll ever get anything other than a scripted and fairly mundane answer to any question so trying to glean insights from the post and pre match is often pointless with LM.  The interesting bit is where his scripted points (eg Sykes sub reason) make no sense in the context of the game 

I said from the start, he’s talking about HIS principles, HIS ways, HIS style, etc….he's on autopilot to a degree, talking about his favourite subject.

He came across fine to me in those early weeks, but the test is when you’re not on autopilot, and having to think on the spot.

As FoxPunter said, he’s almost too clean.

He’s a bit like the Terminator (Robert Patrick version).  Will we see someone trip him up like when the original terminator tricks him with the dogs name - “how’s Wolfy”, quickly responding with “your step-parents are dead”!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I said from the start, he’s talking about HIS principles, HIS ways, HIS style, etc….he's on autopilot to a degree, talking about his favourite subject.

He came across fine to me in those early weeks, but the test is when you’re not on autopilot, and having to think on the spot.

He’s a bit like the Terminator (Robert Patrick version).  Will we see someone trip him up like when the original terminator tricks him with the dogs name - “how’s Wolfy”, quickly responding with “your step-parents are dead”!

Brilliant Fevs! 😂

I’ve not too dissimilar in that he reminds me of the android David in the Prometheus and Alien Covenant movies, both in looks and approach.

Oxford fans have said he’s slightly robotic and emotionless!

Even the note about David on Wikipedia could be taken almost literally [almost!].

David [Liam] is an android serving as a butler, maintenance man [Head Coach] and surrogate son to his creator, Peter Weyland, the founder of the Weyland Corporation. While he assists his human companions [players] in their interstellar expedition [league and cup games] to meet their creators, the extraterrestrial Engineer [Brian Tinnion], David is obsessed with the concept of creating life of his own [beliefs, principles]. After Peter Weyland is killed [Nigel Pearson is sacked] David is freed from servitude [Oxford United] allowing him to conduct experiments to engineer his own variants of the Alien creature [front foot football]. The David line of androids would ultimately be succeeded by the Walter [who knows?!].

Edited by One Team
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

21 hours ago, Denbury Red said:

Body language - negative

Eye contact - negative

Tone of voice used - negative

With that negativity it doesn’t matter what words he says as the above means no one will believe you!

Conway - whilst I’m sure will be a really good striker at the level and possibly higher one day, is being found out as he’s not ready to play the main man - my god do we need Nakhi for to help these kids!

The Jan transfer windows feels a long way off - assuming we have some money to spend!

I’m a professional working with the body language of managers on camera but on this occasion I’m drawing on my personal experience as a Dylan fan… “you don’t need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows!”

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Malvern Red said:

I’m a professional working with the body language of managers on camera but on this occasion I’m drawing on my personal experience as a Dylan fan… “you don’t need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows!”

Or as could equally be directed at Steve, Jon and Brian:

”Look out kids, it’s something you did…”

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jefferz said:

Overloaded them!! What, has he asked them to read Principia Mathematica?

Do me a favour

I think it’s a fair point to make when generalising about footballers, in the heat of the game a player could easily make a decision that goes against what he’s been told to do and what he’s practiced in training.

If other players don’t expect that particular action to take place the team may look disjointed and confused about how to play.

1 hour ago, One Team said:

Brilliant Fevs! 😂

I’ve not too dissimilar in that he reminds me of the android David in the Prometheus and Alien Covenant movies, both in looks and approach.

Oxford fans have said he’s slightly robotic and emotionless!

Even the note about David on Wikipedia could be taken almost literally [almost!].

David [Liam] is an android serving as a butler, maintenance man [Head Coach] and surrogate son to his creator, Peter Weyland, the founder of the Weyland Corporation. While he assists his human companions [players] in their interstellar expedition [league and cup games] to meet their creators, the extraterrestrial Engineer [Brian Tinnion], David is obsessed with the concept of creating life of his own [beliefs, principles]. After Peter Weyland is killed [Nigel Pearson is sacked] David is freed from servitude [Oxford United] allowing him to conduct experiments to engineer his own variants of the Alien creature [front foot football]. The David line of androids would ultimately be succeeded by the Walter [who knows?!].

michael fassbender android GIF

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Malvern Red said:

Dylan you say? Positively North Street.😉

9 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Everyone was saying how good communication now is because of those run of interviews and the fans forum. 

Where's the communication now that we're doing shit? Oh yea, Tins isn't even on X anymore. 

Communication is only good when the club want it to be. When they've got something positive to share, they will over share it. 

When questions are asked of them they disappear like the cowards that they are. 

If we were an actual club that cared about communication, they'd get BT or/and JL on Sound of the City. And not only that but do it live and allow listeners to come on and ask questions. But they won't do that. 

We won't hear from them now unless things improve. 

I don't recall people praising club comms? Wasn't it more like "finally, we hear from them..."

But yeah, you're right that we won't hear from the board for good while now. Unless we go on a cup run!

Edited by mozo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, mozo said:

I don't recall people praising club comms? Wasn't it more like "finally, we hear from them..."

But yeah, you're right that we won't hear from the board for good while now. Unless we go on a cup run!

JL is supposed to be the guest speaker at Senior Reds Christmas lunch today.

I'm in Oz at the moment so will miss his words of wisdom regarding our promotion push.

18 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Like many, many players and managers, Liam is clearly just media trained up to the eyeballs. He's so polished... I think it's just particularly jarring to us as fans because Nigel was the polar opposite.

There are very few like Nigel who are authentic and say what they actually think, rather than say what they think they should say. Ange Postecoglou is probably one of the few other examples in England at the moment? Either way, they're outliers in that respect.

Nonetheless, I do feel a bit sorry for Liam at the moment. He's had an iffy first six games and already he's getting his post-match interview technique pulled apart, eye contact analysed etc etc.

A good time, then, to remind everyone this is all on the Lansdowns and Tinnion, not the new manager.

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

For what it’s worth… 

LM got the job based off his work at Oxford. 

Look at League 1, there’s no giants in there anymore. Bolton and Pompey have been down in the lower leagues too long to be considered powerhouses. Derby are still rebuilding, and then Blackpool (mess), Reading (mess) and Wigan (mess) joined this season. Stevenage, Carlisle, Northampton and Leyton Orient are hardly large clubs either. 

My point, getting Oxford to 2nd is no real achievement as anyone from 1st to 14th could be in any of those positions and it wouldn’t look out of place. 

I don’t want to bash LM as it wasn’t his fault he was offered the job. But I’ve never felt like it was a progressive appointment and the results and performances seem to go hand in hand with that. 

• Like 3