IGNORED

Pet hates OTIB room 101

Major Isewater

On 15/03/2024 at 17:18, Dollymarie said:

People who write or say RIP, when what they should be writing/saying is R.I.P.

This also applies to people who say “VAR” like it’s a word, when they should be spelling it out, as it’s three separate words. 

Agreed on R.I.P.

VAR is an acronym so is a word in it's own right, though maybe it should be Var rather than capitalised.

44 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Agreed on R.I.P.

VAR is an acronym so is a word in it's own right, though maybe it should be Var rather than capitalised.

But it’s not though is it? It stands for video assistant referee? :) 

14 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

But it’s not though is it? It stands for video assistant referee? :) 

Exactly, and a word made from the initials would be an acronym, and a valid word once it is in general use.

Radar and scuba are good examples.

(RAdio Direction And Range, Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus)

R.I.P. wouldn't work as rip is a word with a different meaning already.

Edited by richwwtk
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, richwwtk said:

Exactly, and a word made from the initials would be an acronym, and a valid word once it is in general use.

Radar and scuba are good examples.

(RAdio Direction And Range, Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus)

R.I.P. wouldn't work as rip is a word with a different meaning already.

I’ll clarify, I’m meaning when people say var like you would say car but with a v. That’s the bit I’m objecting to. 

19 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

I’ll clarify, I’m meaning when people say var like you would say car but with a v. That’s the bit I’m objecting to. 

Exactly, that is exactly what an acronym is, taking the initials if something and creating a word with them. It seems perfectly valid to me!

When you just say the letters (as in R.I.P.) that is an initialisation.

29 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Exactly, that is exactly what an acronym is, taking the initials if something and creating a word with them. It seems perfectly valid to me!

When you just say the letters (as in R.I.P.) that is an initialisation.

Well in the case of VAR, I don’t like it! :P 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

When weather men say "It's going to be changeable/unsettled for the rest of the week"

Well, surely to god THAT means it's going to be settled in a changeable /unsettled way !

Or when they say "Rain will be moving in from the east by lunch time " and you know that it's been raining all night!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

The media.

Recent events that they are totally obsessed with:-

1. Kate's photo editing. No one cares, except the media.

2. The date of the general election. No one cares except the media.

…….and a whole bunch of Tory MPs!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

The media.

Recent events that they are totally obsessed with:-

1. Kate's photo editing. No one cares, except the media.

2. The date of the general election. No one cares except the media.

Incorrect on #2 - I can't wait to flush the collected turds currently governing this country around the political U-bend.

As for #1, there's a lot more speculation about this on social media than there is in "old media". People love a good conspiracy, even if it makes no sense, which is why I've heard pointless speculation about this down the local boozer. Gossip on social media has driven the media stories.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Incorrect on #2 - I can't wait to flush the collected turds currently governing this country around the political U-bend.

As for #1, there's a lot more speculation about this on social media than there is in "old media". People love a good conspiracy, even if it makes no sense, which is why I've heard pointless speculation about this down the local boozer. Gossip on social media has driven the media stories.

There was a day long visit to Gloucester by the PM recently. He met about 200 people at various venues, got asked questions all day. There was not one question about the election date, the questions were all about cost of food, energy, lack of local services, the NHS, police resources.... the list goes on.

We all know there is an election this year, the media are obsessed about it so they can claim a scoop. The public won't have long to wait for their chance to vote.

2 hours ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

There was a day long visit to Gloucester by the PM recently. He met about 200 people at various venues, got asked questions all day. There was not one question about the election date, the questions were all about cost of food, energy, lack of local services, the NHS, police resources.... the list goes on.

We all know there is an election this year, the media are obsessed about it so they can claim a scoop. The public won't have long to wait for their chance to vote.

People DO want to know if we have 2 months more or as much as 10 months of the little shyte, so I'm going to respectively disagree that it isn't something people are interested in.  As for "getting a scoop", Sunak and his closest advisors will decide and usually get the GCS to draft a release to all media ahead of Sunak's meeting the King to get him to sign state papers formally dissolving Parliament. It's not a "scoop" matter. 

• Like 1

On 18/03/2024 at 23:37, slartibartfast said:

When weather men say "It's going to be changeable/unsettled for the rest of the week"

Well, surely to god THAT means it's going to be settled in a changeable /unsettled way !

What it means is that they haven't got a ****ing clue.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

People DO want to know if we have 2 months more or as much as 10 months of the little shyte, so I'm going to respectively disagree that it isn't something people are interested in.  As for "getting a scoop", Sunak and his closest advisors will decide and usually get the GCS to draft a release to all media ahead of Sunak's meeting the King to get him to sign state papers formally dissolving Parliament. It's not a "scoop" matter. 

I think you are mixing up knowing which way to vote with knowing when they will do it.

Most people will have made up their mind already, but no one has ever mentioned to me about when. It just isn't a topic anyone is talking about, the reason being that we all know it has to happen, there is an end date.

The opposition parties want an election ASAP because they know the economy is picking up after the damage of COVID, Truss, Putin and they know good news is bad for their votes.

Because of any feel good factor lagging behind the economy, it is unlikely that news today of lower than expected inflation will help the Tories much.

Apologies everyone, this is probably on the wrong thread.

1 hour ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

I think you are mixing up knowing which way to vote with knowing when they will do it.

Most people will have made up their mind already, but no one has ever mentioned to me about when. It just isn't a topic anyone is talking about, the reason being that we all know it has to happen, there is an end date.

The opposition parties want an election ASAP because they know the economy is picking up after the damage of COVID, Truss, Putin and they know good news is bad for their votes.

Because of any feel good factor lagging behind the economy, it is unlikely that news today of lower than expected inflation will help the Tories much.

Apologies everyone, this is probably on the wrong thread.

I'm not an opposition party but I want an election asap because the "good news: is still piss weak - and is tempered by other stuff the Tory press keep quiet, such as the most UK business closures since the World Financial crisis, and record debt levels, as weĺl as vastly more incoming red tape on imports from April. 

I want competent people in charge, not shysters and offshore-based disaster capitalists.

My last word on this thread on this.

(However the fact remains, the timing of the election is a legitimate story that any news outlet would report on and, as it has to come soon, speculate over. The Kate stuff is meaningless fluff, as are all other royal stories. Mindless chewing gum for the mind for those easily distracted from real life)

6 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Gravel.

Driveways.

Front gardens.

Flowerbeds.

Do i sense some "i need to do some tidying up outside the house, because its nearly spring", but can't be arsed with it all vibes Dave? 

If so:

Same

Edited by TonyTonyTony
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Do i sense some "i need to do some tidying up outside the house, because its nearly spring", but can't be arsed with it all vibes Dave? 

If so:

Same

Ha ha!! No, I’m lucky. Mrs ID loves gardening.

More the consequence of a long walk yesterday, and realising how much gravel there is around Portishead! 

In place of drives, gardens and even whole flowerbeds. 

Looks horrible. Ends up everywhere! Ugh!

29 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

Sean Dyche’s voice. I literally have to mute the telly, or if my other half is insisting on listening to him (usually just to wind me up!) then I either leave the room, or talk loudly over the top of it all. 

Well, as Everton are my second team (yes, football sucks right now!) I don't mind Dyche so much, but...

... Emery, Corboran, Lopetegui, The Bournemouth bloke... 

... I know that's it's not their fault. They are Spanish and speak better English than I could in their mother tongue...

... but they just talk too fast and I can't understand a ****ing word.

Bielsa was infuriating with his interpreter, but I now think that was a better state of affairs!

1 hour ago, Superjack said:

Well, as Everton are my second team (yes, football sucks right now!) I don't mind Dyche so much, but...

... Emery, Corboran, Lopetegui, The Bournemouth bloke... 

... I know that's it's not their fault. They are Spanish and speak better English than I could in their mother tongue...

... but they just talk too fast and I can't understand a ****ing word.

Bielsa was infuriating with his interpreter, but I now think that was a better state of affairs!

To be fair, I could never understand a ****ing word Joe Jordan said……but still enjoyed listening to him!! 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

Sean Dyche’s voice. I literally have to mute the telly, or if my other half is insisting on listening to him (usually just to wind me up!) then I either leave the room, or talk loudly over the top of it all. 

Imagine Dyche saying "vomitory". 😆

6 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Builders/workmen who insist on having their radios on full bore, with bass rattling everyone's windows, and it's always ****** shite "music"...........just turn it down !

it`s the same if you go on to any estate during the school holidays when the older kids are home alone. Windows wide open and something that sounds like someone hitting a tin with a hammer banging out at full volume.

• Like 2