IGNORED

Pet hates OTIB room 101

Major Isewater

1 hour ago, Midred said:

And their "World Series" !

I read ages ago that the ‘World Series’ originated from an American newspaper long out of print called the ‘The New York World’ who I assume must have sponsored the games - hence ‘World Series’

• Thanks 1

One thing that always irritates me is when elderly people whinge and complain about their ailments.

I reached the point that when I’m burdened with elderly peoples health issues  I simply reply by saying “now that you’ve told me all that, do you feel any better?”

They don’t do it again.

• Facepalm 1

38 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I read ages ago that the ‘World Series’ originated from an American newspaper long out of print called the ‘The New York World’ who I assume must have sponsored the games - hence ‘World Series’

That's an urban myth. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Care to explain why? 

It wasn't sponsored by a newspaper called the New York World - or anyone else. In fact, when you think about it, the concept of sporting events (or anything else) being sponsored by commercial entities in return for naming rights wasn't really around back then. 

3 hours ago, Midred said:

And their "World Series" !

I remember when the Premier League started, and then we had the ‘Championship’, a third tier called “one” - and all that bollocks. Someone suggested that the Conference, as it then was, should trump them all and call themselves the World Series. Not a bad idea! 

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

It wasn't sponsored by a newspaper called the New York World - or anyone else. In fact, when you think about it, the concept of sporting events (or anything else) being sponsored by commercial entities in return for naming rights wasn't really around back then. 

According to Wikipedia it says it was named after the NY World paper in 1883 - although this is disputed.

Bloody idiotic game anyway, a man’s game of rounders.

My daughter watched the NY Yankees a few years ago - says she’s never been so bored in her life……..:sleeping:

3 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

And all the crap about Taylor bloody Swift & her boyfriend.

Boring !!

Typical Americans. Obsessed with celebrities, Hollywood and over the top nonsense. They don't really understand the true meaning of Sport compared to the rest of the world.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, italian dave said:

I remember when the Premier League started, and then we had the ‘Championship’, a third tier called “one” - and all that bollocks. Someone suggested that the Conference, as it then was, should trump them all and call themselves the World Series. Not a bad idea! 

Ah, but you've never heard of Division 5!

Some tinpot gang of itinerants once described it thusly.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Robbored said:

According to Wikipedia it says it was named after the NY World paper in 1883 - although this is disputed.

Bloody idiotic game anyway, a man’s game of rounders.

My daughter watched the NY Yankees a few years ago - says she’s never been so bored in her life……..:sleeping:

Actually that isn’t what Wikipedia says at all. It says that one (British) author has suggested it was named after the New York World but the claim is disputed. If you follow the link from that comment you get to an article which shows historians can find no evidence of a link between the NY World and the World Series.

As I said, I'm inclined to believe this is just a case of someone making something up and it getting repeated - sports events weren't named after companies in 1903. That sort of marketing just hadn't been invented. 

See also "Port Out, Starboard Home" as the origin of the word posh - another invention accepted by many as a fact. 

For many years, it was believed that the name came from the fact that the original series was sponsored by the New York World Telegram newspaper, thus becoming known as the ‘World’s Series’. However, popular as this explanation may be, it’s not actually true and although the newspaper did report the results of the games, it had nothing to do with the naming of the competition.

The real reason behind the name is thanks to Barney Dreyfuss who was the owner of the Pittsburgh Pirates. In 1903, he wrote to the owner of the Boston Red Sox challenging them to a ‘World’s Championship Series’. The Pirates were the best team in the National League and the Red Sox were the best in the American League.

The games went ahead and Boston won the series five games to three. Over time, the 'World’s Championship Series' name has been shortened to the World Series and has been played every year apart from 1904 and 1994.

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Actually that isn’t what Wikipedia says at all. It says that one (British) author has suggested it was named after the New York World but the claim is disputed. If you follow the link from that comment you get to an article which shows historians can find no evidence of a link between the NY World and the World Series.

As I said, I'm inclined to believe this is just a case of someone making something up and it getting repeated - sports events weren't named after companies in 1903. That sort of marketing just hadn't been invented. 

See also "Port Out, Starboard Home" as the origin of the word posh - another invention accepted by many as a fact. 

That what I said RR - it’s disputed.

14 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

People who announce and there will be such or such minutes of extra time.

NOOOO!

Added ******* time, Extra Time is something different altogether.

The BBC match reports that say X scored in the 96th minute..........no they ****** didn't , they scored in the 6th minute of added time !

• Like 2

People who drive at night with their headlights set too high.

I apologise if this has been mentioned already a hundred times on here.

There is a ******* button that adjusts the beam up AND DOWN. Use it please so we don't end up in the ditch.

And whilst on the subject, those drivers who think they can fit xenon and LED kits to standard reflectors - it doesn't work because the beam pattern gets scattered, blinding everyone else and making your own view worse than before.

Rant over, cheers!

Edited by Open End Numb Legs

8 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

People who are driving around in winter with their roof box still mounted on the car 5 months after returning from their gite holiday in France.

Perhaps they are going to/returning from a skiing holiday?

My ‘ski box’ would be put on and removed from my car at least twice a year, once in the winter and again in the summer.