IGNORED

Andi Weimann - Loan to WBA Confirmed

GrahamC

Didn’t mind him in the role off the bench and spot starts now but with his deal winding down it makes sense if we can gain some financial advantage from it. His wage and a small fee could pay the compensation and wages for Murphy for a couple years. It may not be an even trade off in the end but the point is the thousands of quid matter to us at this level.

4 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Didn’t mind him in the role off the bench and spot starts now but with his deal winding down it makes sense if we can gain some financial advantage from it. His wage and a small fee could pay the compensation and wages for Murphy for a couple years. It may not be an even trade off in the end but the point is the thousands of quid matter to us at this level.

Could be a straight loan- contract up in the summer.

Rejoined on a free so no Book Value to worry about, any fee or loan fee would be pure profit and obviously wage savings is a gain or reduction in cost at least.

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I think they’re still struggling to come to terms with the reality of life without parachute payments. 

Plus their owner is dodgy as ****.

Has he paid that loan back yet?

• Admin
Just now, George Rs said:

This move suggesting there should be some incomings this window? Would’ve thought andi is one of our highest earners and if he does go that leaves us short on experienced attackers. 

Don't agree with that, freeing wages is the key, and he has hardly been an out and out attacker for us in ages

• Hmmm 1

Just now, phantom said:

Don't agree with that, freeing wages is the key, and he has hardly been an out and out attacker for us in ages

Meant as someone part of our front 4 e.g CAM, LW, RW, ST if you want traditional positions. 

And that’s what I mean about one of our highest earners leaving, it frees up significant wages which might suggest incomings this window, no point freeing up wages just for the sake of having them there imo. 

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

They have some quite technical and or clever midfielders too, while Weimann is past his best not least due to injury in 2020, players like Swift, Yokuslu could probably pick some of his runs quite well.

Similarly to Twine, Swift is one I would have liked here a few years ago, when he was with Reading.

• Like 1

Right deal at the right time. Dosnt fit our new system, one of highest earners and was probably leaving in the summer, so hopefully helps us get another wide player in to give real competition to Sykes/Mehmeti/Bell 

Cardiff away goal was my fave Andi moment 👏 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

His goal at Watford, if it was his final one in a City shirt was a great way to sign off.

Delighted it got him to 50 in the league too.

Deserved that milestone.

• Like 4
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 1

It sounds like McCrorie and Sykes will both be in the squad next week. Plus we must be very far long with one forward to let one go, you’d think. 

Andi has earned the “it’s the right thing for him, he should be allowed to do it” badge for me. Just like when Wilbraham was allowed to go to a league rival for no fee, because it was the best thing for him and his family. 

Club legend. He’ll have his place on the wall, and rightly so. No fan can take that away from him, or indeed the clubs history, no matter if they think he “just runs”. 

• Like 6
  • Robin 3

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

His goal at Watford, if it was his final one in a City shirt was a great way to sign off.

In hindsight….maybe his heightened emotion for that, was because he knew it may be his last one? Was even more animated than usual, kissed and patted the badge over and over again….

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robinforlife2 said:

TBH, I don't get why we would loan a decent squad player to a rival in the same division. I hope we have a caveat that he can't play against us. 

Generally loanees can't play against their parent club- CL is different but I don't see why this would diverge from the norm.

38 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Mixed reaction on their forum so far.

https://www.wbaunofficial.org.uk/showthread.php?tid=32312

Probably in part because he’s ex-Villa.

33 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Think that boat sailed a while ago, not been in a squad for a year.

But he has also been injured quite a bit in the past 18 months since he regained his place in the Austrian squad. And remember he scored against France while they were still World Cup holders, earning Austria a draw.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61766082

Originally a replacement for Bobby Reid, Andi has been by far the most successful of those players brought in the summer of 2018. Premier League experience and still only 26/27 at the time. And 50 league goals for City puts him in a very select group of players. If he had had the ball played through to him at least half the time he was making runs in behind the opposition defence, he would have got a lot more!

Sad to see him go, but seems good business with West Brom and good luck to him.

• Like 3

One of our best players in recent years - what an engine on him. Well respected by the younger players too - a real pro and a role model. Good luck to him, and at least he is closer to home now. Not sure how much game time he will get at WBA, but best of luck.

• Like 3
  • Robin 2

Reducing what we pay for TGH implies that is a definite now, that's good IMO.
But if he goes, it makes it more urgent we get a body or two in. We have a small squad anyway, add injuries and AW leaving it makes it too small IMO. 
Good wages , but not highest as we negotiated a reduction last time, so not done as a cost cutting exercise . Does feel like we might have someone lined up who would potentially push the first team a little more.

My fav, the Hull chip for the 5th in the 5-0

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Best of luck to him. I was a fan of Andi at The Gate, but if he wants to finish his career closer to home he should be given the opportunity. Thanks Andi

Only if we have somone coming in hes under contract so shouldn't be at out detriment 

• The title was changed to Andi Weimann (Merged)
9 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

TBH, I don't get why we would loan a decent squad player to a rival in the same division. I hope we have a caveat that he can't play against us. 

He's only playing a bit part and if we do have someone lined up he would be almost surplus. So the loan means he goes but they pay wages , no way would they pay a fee.

5 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

Is it a loan, West Brom seem to think he's signed a deal for 18 months for them?

They could have Guaranteed a year from the summer , OOC here so can sign a pre contract thing.