IGNORED

Andi Weimann - Loan to WBA Confirmed

GrahamC

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

Would it not make sense to wait and see what's actually happening before criticising what's happening? At the moment, there's no evidence whatsoever that we are losing Weimann without a replacement lined up. If Weimann goes and no replacement comes in next week then by all means criticise that. But why on Earth do it before it has actually happened? 

I felt it more of a concern/worry than a criticism. At the moment there is no evidence of us signing anyone but there seemed to be some suggestion yesterday that Weimann was going. Hence the concerned post.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nick jones of hereford said:

It is understandable that Andy Weimann would want to finish his playing career nearer to where his family lives.

I echo the comments about Andy being a great servant who had always given 100% and has been a leader and mentor for our younger players.

Too often someone leaving results in thanks being given but capped off with snide comments. None of that for Andy Weimann which shows how much he is respected..

Reading this forum he will be sorely missed. I hope that when he comes back that he is given a generous applause.

Thanks Andy and good luck for the future 

I would be staggered if he didn't receive a wonderful welcome back to Ashton Gate in the future. He's always given 100% for the jersey, he has scored plenty of important goals for the club and been a help to younger players.

It feels like one of those win-win-win scenarios

For Andi - a last big signing on fee and joining a massive club at Championship level who should push for promotion.

For WBA - a man that gives 100% every game, knows the division and will weigh in with key goals during their run in

For BCFC - free up the wages of an older player that we wouldn't be resigning, a player that hasn't had much game time under Manning and allow for a new forward to come through the door.

• Like 5

According to piece in todays Daily Mirror, says West Brom are closing in on a move for Weimann, as he is in the last 6 months of his contract, yet to be offered a new deal, and has had limited game time since Liam Manning arrived. Just paper talk, or something more?

1 minute ago, Big Cheese said:

According to piece in todays Daily Mirror, says West Brom are closing in on a move for Weimann, as he is in the last 6 months of his contract, yet to be offered a new deal, and has had limited game time since Liam Manning arrived. Just paper talk, or something more?

Multi page thread on the transfer sub-forum and yes, it looks set to happen.

Think he deserved better from the club. Apparently approaching the appearances clause that would have triggered a 12 month extension. Goal against Watford a reminder of what he is capable of. Club needs experienced heads with a rookie manager. 

1 minute ago, ColneRed said:

Think he deserved better from the club. Apparently approaching the appearances clause that would have triggered a 12 month extension. Goal against Watford a reminder of what he is capable of. Club needs experienced heads with a rookie manager. 

No sentiment in football . Genuinely enjoyed watching him . Great pro , but he wasn’t going to get another contract . 
when you say he deserved better , you have to take into account he wasn’t here on minimum wage . He earned a lot of money playing for us and fair play to him it’s a short career I’ll never begrudge a player that . Apart from o’dowda’s second contract . Should be done for fraud that ***** 😂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Concerns me that the Tinnion/Manning way will be to strip out the experienced pros and end up with a lot of inexperience both on and off the pitch. 

I think it's been a very long time since we've had a group of good older experienced players like Wells, James, King, Weimann etc who help to set the daily high standards and help the younger players. 

Whilst you can put individual cases forward for all of them leaving, I think it will be a huge collective loss for us.

Very much back to the LJ days. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 4

On 12/01/2024 at 14:02, GrahamC said:

As now being reported by Bristol Live joining West Brom for the rest of the season.

History repeating itself?

Unable to command a regular first team place, Bob Taylor left at the end of January 1992 to the division promotion contenders West Brom . That Saturday he scored after 11 minutes as WBA beat the divisional leaders 2-0. Meanwhile, City lost by the same scoreline at Ashton Gate.

4 minutes ago, Chrizzler said:

This seems to have gone very quiet. With all of the excitement over our potential new signing everyone seems to have forgotten our Andi. 

Manning basically just confirmed it was happening in the latest press conference but not fully completed so didn't want to comment further.

Gutted to see this. One of my favourite players in all my time watching Bristol City, and criminally underrated by many IMHO. As intelligent, disciplined, and hard-working a player as you will see, but with some real quality to support it too.

5.5 years of service. 50 league goals (including a few absolutely brilliant ones). Played almost every position on the pitch at some point. Club captain. Behaviours & attitude that embody everything you want from a player at your club.

The word "legend" is often overused, but IMO Andi Weimann is as close to a club legend as anyone we've had in the last decade.

Genuinely wish him all the best. Thank you, Andi.

• Like 5
  • Flames 3
  • Robin 1