IGNORED

Andi Weimann - Loan to WBA Confirmed

GrahamC

I suppose one of my questions is whether we're going to "replace" him directly or not. You could take the view that we currently have 6 forwards competing for 3 places (as an over-simplification, Cornick and Sykes on the right, Mehmeti and Bell on the left and Wells & Conway in the middle) but no obvious attacking midfield option other than Jason Knight.

It wouldn't shock me if, if we only signed one player to "replace" Weimann, it was actually an attacking midfielder - perhaps one who could play wide left or wide right too - rather than an outright forward. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

I always wonder whether we would have got more from him (not a negative, he had been great for us) if we played him up front. The season we did this out of necessity he scored over 20. His movement in and around the box was excellent that season. He has also stated his preference is to play as a striker.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

8 minutes ago, jiggers58 said:

I always wonder whether we would have got more from him (not a negative, he had been great for us) if we played him up front. The season we did this out of necessity he scored over 20. His movement in and around the box was excellent that season. He has also stated his preference is to play as a striker.

I think its that he is such a good pro - the manager knows what he is gonna get from him. With his engine he can play anywhere upfield. You might be correct about playing upfront more, but that depends who is around him at the time. 51 goals and 29 assists in 216 games is a very good return for someone played in multiple positions. Quality player 

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, !james said:

Dood is pretty ITK when it comes to West Brom.

27 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Generally loanees can't play against their parent club- CL is different but I don't see why this would diverge from the norm.

Re league games it’s a black and white rule. Loanees cannot play against their home club. 

25 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

Is it a loan, West Brom seem to think he's signed a deal for 18 months for them?

See Dood’s tweet about. Looks like perm. 

14 minutes ago, jiggers58 said:

For the season where Diedhiou was the battering ram, Weimann through the middle could, perhaps should have been the lone striker to good effect for some games then IMO.

When I say loan striker I mean with adequate..we flogged certain players into the ground, one more central midfielder could've assisted..

Hegeler left mid-season. Injury and retirement.

Korey had significant recurring injury issues.

Morrell and Walsh were either not trusted or deemed not ready.

Can't recall if O'Neil was still on the books but more often than not for a while we went..

GK and Back 4.

Pack

O'Dowda Weimann Brownhill Paterson

Diedhiou

Perhaps the exact positioning isn't right but one more CM for depth could relieve the central burden on Pack and Brownhill a bit, rotate Diedhiou a bit and exploit the movement of Weimann through the middle.

Could've been

GK and Back 4

Pack

O'Dowda Brownhill ANOther Paterson/(Eliasson)

Weimann

Perhaps even..

GK and Back 4

Pack

Brownhill ANOther Paterson Eliasson

Weimann

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

11 minutes ago, jiggers58 said:

I agree. Weimann is the type who plays on instinct and most of his goals came from this during 2021/22. When he had space to run into or to think he often made the wrong decision on most occasions.

I don't know why he was never played up front more and I think at times could have done a better job than Conway the last few months up top on his own.

• Like 1

Wow this one’s hit me like a train. But it’s wages off the books and money off the TGH fee, so it sounds like good business and we’re getting the better end of this deal imo. 

Not confirmed yet but seems close so, goodbye Andi. Scored some goals that send me crazy and will be strange not seeing him on Matchday squads! And don’t bloody score against us!

Emotions aside - this MUST mean an incoming. We were light WITH Andi.

• Like 2

So what do we think? According to several media sources City are in advanced talks with WBA over Andi Weimann. 

Would you be happy to see him go or indeed swapped for TGH? 

Personally I like Weimann, I think he’s a good player, who loves City and gives his all. However,  he’s not be quite the same since he was out injured the last time. 

Thoughts …. 

10 minutes ago, Alan Dicks said:

I always wanted to see him played up front, he knows where the net is.

He knew where the net was, worked incredibly hard- pre the injury his energy wow, and yeah his clever early runs which we often failed to pick in his first year here would've been very useful centrally in the final third.

Removing the emotions of it, it’s a good but of business I think. Going for free in 6 months and slowing down if we’re being honest, this is a good money saver. But we have to have a number 10 close to singing, it’s just Knight and an injured Benarous now. And you could argue it’s not Knight’s best position - though I like him there.

• Like 1

I think he has been a great servant but no longer an automatic pick. If it allows us to free up his wages (still probably one of the higher earners) then probably a good time to allow him to move. Assuming we are not planning on offering him a new deal in the summer. May also allow us to offset some of the potential fee fir TGH. Would leave with best wishes from myself. 

10 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Wow this one’s hit me like a train. But it’s wages off the books and money off the TGH fee, so it sounds like good business and we’re getting the better end of this deal imo. 

Not confirmed yet but seems close so, goodbye Andi. Scored some goals that send me crazy and will be strange not seeing him on Matchday squads! And don’t bloody score against us!

Emotions aside - this MUST mean an incoming. We were light WITH Andi.

i know what you mean, saddened by his departure. I always liked him.

it's the loss of an experienced pro that will hit us  unless he's replaced.

surely an attacker lined up?

1 hour ago, !james said:

Firstly thanks Andi, been a great servant for the club and all the best.

If this is true. We've played a blinder. Avoiding an appearance clause for a new contract, moving a player on (likely on higher wages even after the extension) early that would have been released in the summer. I'm not having a dig because he's been brilliant but imo he's on the decline so to get a small fee and reduce the option fee for TGH is perfect.

Edited by RedRoss
  • Like 3

I assume that someone must be incoming as the squad is a bit thin. I don’t think he’s one of the top earners as his last contract was on reduced terms (can someone confirm this one way or the other) so it won’t be an enormous saving in wages. I look forward to him scoring against us in March as that’s how these things often pan out 

Edited by pongo88

30 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Firstly thanks Andi, been a great servant for the club and all the best.

If this is true. We've played a blinder. Avoiding an appearance clause for a new contract, moving a player on (likely on higher wages even after the extension) early that would have been released in the summer. I'm not having a dig because he's been brilliant but imo he's on the decline so to get a small fee and reduce the option fee for TGH is perfect.

From what I have heard, he’s already met the stipulated number of appearances to allow him to trigger the additional year.

As I posted over Xmas, I would imagine that triggering it would be down to a number of factors - game time and family.  I think this is what is driving this.  I had heard there was interest from Austria (pre-contract an additional factor), but back home to Brum sounds like one of those rare cases where to quote Errol Brown “everyone’s a winner baby”.

Ive enjoyed watching Andi over the past 5 1/2 years.  Top pro.  On the board of City’s top scorers of all time. Can’t do anything but wish him the best.

• Like 5
  • Flames 3

Andi has been fantastic for the club during his time here, he has  given so much to this club. But maybe it is time he moved on, especially with age and his contract running out, and he does appear to have moved down the order and struggling for game time now. Put the money towards making TGH permanent. But i do wish him well for the future and thanks for all he's done for the club. 

Edited by SomeRandomBristolian

Top bloke and top pro. This season aside, he has been fantastic for us. I am sure it will be a loss in the changing room, but unfortunately he's past his best. 

Would like to see him back in a coaching role for us in the future. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

From what I have heard, he’s already met the stipulated number of appearances to allow him to trigger the additional year.

As I posted over Xmas, I would imagine that triggering it would be down to a number of factors - game time and family.  I think this is what is driving this.  I had heard there was interest from Austria (pre-contract an additional factor), but back home to Brum sounds like one of those rare cases where to quote Errol Brown “everyone’s a winner baby”.

Ive enjoyed watching Andi over the past 5 1/2 years.  Top pro.  On the board of City’s top scorers of all time. Can’t do anything but wish him the best.

You’re right.

Think it is also highly likely some very honest conversations have taken place between him & Manning too.

We both believe the contract extension was triggered a while back but if he knows that he’s going to be a bit part player no matter what then frankly he might as well be that much nearer to home.

He cost us the same fee as Gustav Engvall, made well over 200 appearances for us & scored 51 goals.

He totally deserves to pick the moment to move on & based on the way he responded to his ACL injury, I won’t be surprised if he still manages to come up with some valuable contributions for the Baggies.

I’m a huge fan (always am of anyone who consistently gives of their best) & wish him nothing but success.

• Like 11

• Admin
6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

You’re right.

Think it is also highly likely some very honest conversations have taken place between him & Manning too.

We both believe the contract extension was triggered a while back but if he knows that he’s going to be a bit part player no matter what then frankly he might as well be that much nearer to home.

He cost us the same fee as Gustav Engvall, made well over 200 appearances for us & scored 51 goals.

He totally deserves to pick the moment to move on & based on the way he responded to his ACL injury, I won’t be surprised if he still manages to come up with some valuable contributions for the Baggies.

I’m a huge fan (always am of anyone who consistently gives of their best) & wish him nothing but success.

Was Engvall really £2m? 🤦🏻‍♂️

Thank you for all your services to the club Andi. Ever since he has arrived I have never questioned his effort he always put 100% into every game he played represented by him being given captaincy. Thank you for all the memories Andi, I look forward to welcoming you back to Ashton Gate in the future.