IGNORED

1974 Heritage Kit

Red Army 75

I understand from the posts that it's a bigger giant killing that I previously realised. It's in another league to the Liverpool 94 and Man Utd 17 victories - neither of those teams won the league that year. Nothing wrong with commemorating it. I just feel that a one off shirt is such a public way of doing it and opens the accusations of tin pot from all corners. The opposition were very good, but it wasn't in a cup final or anything like that. We didn't actually win anything, we went out in the next round. Would be interested to know if any other clubs have commemorated an FA cup fifth round victory in this way before. I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Something about the timing feels off too - a vastly inferior Leeds team to the team in 74 completely played us off the park just over a week ago.

Always like a retro shirt design and absence of so many sponsors logos. Can't really tell the quality of the shirt from the pictures - looks quite shiny!

• Like 3

On a broader note, I think I mentioned before that my son has decided he wants to go to every league ground. Which means plenty of club shops. Today I had to drive to Colchester, Ipswich, Norwich, Cambridge, Stevenage, Luton, MK Dons and Northampton. Retro shirts were a staple in the first three, as they have been in practically every ground we’ve visited. Shops weren’t open at the others but a quick look online shows Stevenage have a retro range, as do Luton (I didn’t check Dons, obviously!). The gas even have one. And the Lions have been selling bootleg retro kits which sell out quickly.

This is a limited edition. But it is also an example of where we’ve missed a marketing opportunity generally which other clubs seem to take.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I was there and here is my story.

I worked at Colodense in West St, Bemmy. A near neighbour of mine also worked there and he was also a City fan. His job was technical service to our customers and so he organised a visit to a customer inw Lincoln on the morning of the replay.

So at 6am, we set off to Lincoln. My wife and Dad, him and his wife. Went to customer and did the business bit, leaving Lincoln at 10.30. At 1.20 pm we got to Elland Road and bought 5 tickets in yhe stand opposite to stand where players came on to pitch.

My wife had never been to a live game and when Gillies scored, she asked me what had happened? The next 20 minutes were the longest in my life.

We found out later that when we bought five seats together, all turnstiles to terraces had been closed as full, fifteen minutes before we bought them.

One eighteen hour day by the time we got home, delighted but knackered.

I was 15 and, as it was half term, I travelled up to Liverpool the day before the replay to stay with my older brother who was at University there and living in Toxteth.

We caught a train to Leeds on the Wednesday morning - it was an early afternoon ko due to the power crisis and the 3 day week - and, wanting to remain incognito, quickly paid to get in at the first turnstile we came to.

We found ourselves standing in a side enclosure nowhere near the City fans, packed in the midst of the most passionate and intimidating crowd I've ever been in. A full house of 47,000 partisan fans (with many others locked out) baying for blood with the formerly invincible Leeds team utterly determined to put City to the sword. 

Leeds were massively on top but City's players were magnificent to a man and somehow kept the scores level. When Gillies scored we didn't move a muscle, in fact we didn't even speak until we were well away from the ground afterwards. Other fans I spoke to after the event told me the Leeds fans didn't exactly take defeat well and were attacking any City fan they could find, so just as well!

This was a truly momentous victory against by far the best team in the country, packed to the gills with experienced internationals in their prime - no weakened teams for the Cup in those days - who were top of the league and unbeaten in 29 matches, and who went on to win the top league a few months later.

It was such a massive upset it featured on the evening national news with pictures on the the front page of the papers the next day, and rightly so, the result was a seismic shock to the football world, and still stands as the most memorable victory in all my time supporting City.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

I think the heritage & archive idea is very good & players numbers are a touch of class. The shirt is smart.
I really don’t get the celebration though of a one off cup tie. I thought it about the Liverpool celebration. It just smacks of a small club mentality . 

Love the shirt, would have introduced it as the main kit for the 25/26 season as a 50 years on from promotion instead...

9 hours ago, xerox6060 said:

Love the shirt, would have introduced it as the main kit for the 25/26 season as a 50 years on from promotion instead...

I wouldn't tinker and return to any old badge for our main kits, now or long term. It's great having older replica kits in production but our existing badge is nice and classy (not the eagle). 

Stick to our existing brand for me. 

9 hours ago, jbcfc said:

not sure if anyone fancies starting a petition to make the badge on this kit the new permanent badge, but i’d sign it if they did.

I could be wrong, but I think one of the drivers for changing back to the Robin was to avoid BCC charging for use of the crest. 

• Hmmm 1

24 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

I could be wrong, but I think one of the drivers for changing back to the Robin was to avoid BCC charging for use of the crest. 

I've heard differing stories over the years, this one then there was a talk that City had changed the Badge enough as to bypass copy-write . 
The Crest appeared first early 1900s looking at the Historical kits site , then off and on until 1976, if there was a problem I would have thought it would have been sorted earlier. But then it is BCC .
I'm guessing they changed just for marketing or just because , like Jon did with the current one.

Not being a betting man it was the one and only time in my life that I have put a bet on a football match. Living in Hampshire at the time and I went into the local bookies to place the bet. The guy there smirked and said “ Bristol City to beat Leeds at Elland Road, I can see that you don’t understand how this works “. I left the shop thinking it would be the last time I ever set foot in a bookies. Going back the next day and collecting my winnings was pure joy.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I was there and here is my story.

I worked at Colodense in West St, Bemmy. A near neighbour of mine also worked there and he was also a City fan. His job was technical service to our customers and so he organised a visit to a customer inw Lincoln on the morning of the replay.

So at 6am, we set off to Lincoln. My wife and Dad, him and his wife. Went to customer and did the business bit, leaving Lincoln at 10.30. At 1.20 pm we got to Elland Road and bought 5 tickets in yhe stand opposite to stand where players came on to pitch.

My wife had never been to a live game and when Gillies scored, she asked me what had happened? The next 20 minutes were the longest in my life.

We found out later that when we bought five seats together, all turnstiles to terraces had been closed as full, fifteen minutes before we bought them.

One eighteen hour day by the time we got home, delighted but knackered.

This I believe is a sole purpose, for fans to not only feel connected to the players they once idolised but recount their own stories to fans weren’t around at that time.

A, “come here son, let me tell you a story” feeling that doesn’t get told enough these days

6 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Fair play that’s commitment!

70 or 80 that could be online though, saving special trips. Don’t get it.

Really nice bloke in store he said online sales is always 25% of the stock and that is done away from Ashton gate so what was on the racks was the other 75% of the stock 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Fair play that’s commitment!

70 or 80 that could be online though, saving special trips. Don’t get it.

Another 70 or 80 online would have sold out just as quickly as the first batch did. Having no stock at all in the shop would have caused uproar.

Edited by richwwtk
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, redrob said:

Would you advocate wearing the same kit we wore when we played in the FA Cup final?

I would. 

We wore blue before the other lot did. 

Before that they had only used a sky blue. 

It would take them 20 odd years after us playing in blue before they first used the blue they use today. 

Their blue is a different shade of blue to the blue we used in the Fa Cup final anyways. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Another 70 or 80 online would have sold out just as quickly as the first batch did. Having no stock at all in the shop would have caused uproar.

I don’t really see how it’s any worse than having no stock online. Just make everything available via every sales channel and when it’s sold, it’s sold.

This also opens up the possibility of someone making a special trip and not finding their size - or even any stock at all - when they get there.

• Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, Tomo said:

I wouldn't tinker and return to any old badge for our main kits, now or long term. It's great having older replica kits in production but our existing badge is nice and classy (not the eagle). 

Stick to our existing brand for me. 

100%

sticking to ONE brand would be good ATM.

Johnny Crayons is in full 'bright light following' mode obvs

• Haha 1

So, the big question is, with these shirts selling so fast, will they do another production run?

Once produced, it must be easier to make more?

One of my favourite shirts was a red polo shirt with the old club badge on. As it was low key, smart casual, you could wear it at times when a match shirt was not appropriate and only those stood close to you could pick up the name on the crest.

3 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

So, the big question is, with these shirts selling so fast, will they do another production run?

One of my favourite shirts was a red polo shirt with the old club badge on. As it was low key, smart casual, you could wear it at times when a match shirt was not appropriate and only those stood close to you could pick up the name on the crest.

Surely they will, there’s clearly money to be made.

15 hours ago, spudski said:

Seems we are wearing the shirt against QPR. 

I really hope it doesn't have our sponsor on it. 

Here's hoping 🤞...if it's got front and back sponsor, arm badges, name and number etc then apart from the badge and round neck, and obvious pinstripe it won't look much different to what we already have. 

It's in the fourth sentence

"This sponsor-free exclusive shirt will be worn by the team at Saturday’s Sky Bet Championship home match against QPR, with the players wearing white shorts and red and white socks. 

The club extends its gratitude to O’Neills, Huboo, DNRG, Watches of Bath and GoSkippy for their support in removing their logos from this unique edition shirt. "

4 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

That's not how limited edition works though. Some things are just produced at a small number to increase their value and worth.

Just now, The Coach said:

The shirts nice, don’t get me wrong.

But it’s another move making us look tinpot and embarrassing yet again.

I just think it is an age thing. The photo of my boyhood heroes in the old kit and more importantly, invited back into the club, is what matters here, to me anyway.

I totally get that a younger person would not understand the Leeds game even though the history books show that Revie side as one of the best club teams that ever played.

• Like 3

The reasoning behind it is tinpot but in fairness to the club, there’s been real demand for an official retro shirt to be released and they’ve finally done it. There’s clearly demand as it’s sold out immediately.

Hopefully they take the hint and actually release a range of retro shirts and have them for sale year round. It’s a no-brainer, fans clearly want them and it’s actually a good product instead of the usual shite that’s in the store.