IGNORED

Liam Pre Cardiff

Silvio Dante

It doesn’t help his communication style is drier than a rusk so no harm putting these out to the other coaches but maybe he wanted to front it up

We couldn’t ask for better back to back home games so let’s hope the lessons have been learnt, players come out firing and we win both.

Whilst there’s still 12 games to go, I think the Cardiff and Swansea games will set so much of the tone until the end of the season re performances, fans reactions to him, players, contracts, season ticket sales, on the day payers and so on.

Roll on 1230 Saturday….

Some of those questions put to him were good. 

Especially liked the ones about service to Tommy. 

Perhaps it's not Tommy's movement and finishing quality that's the problem...perhaps it's the tactics given to a player who hasn't got the quality and often ability to beat the defender, to provide a decent ball to Tommy. And the reliance on that player to provide...when he invaluably can't, as he isn't good enough. 

You can have all the right tactics in the world, but if you haven't got the player/s to do it...then your foooked. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

7 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Didn’t really like his answers if I’m being honest. 

assuming you are on about Tommy interview?

As per Spud, got some tough Qs that can’t be responded with by saying “yeah, I’m buzzing”.

I think he handled them maturely, but whether I liked them, hmmmmm! 😉

Edited by Davefevs

11 minutes ago, spudski said:

Some of those questions put to him were good. 

Especially liked the ones about service to Tommy. 

Perhaps it's not Tommy's movement and finishing quality that's the problem...perhaps it's the tactics given to a player who hasn't got the quality and often ability to beat the defender, to provide a decent ball to Tommy. And the reliance on that player to provide...when he invaluably can't, as he isn't good enough. 

You can have all the right tactics in the world, but if you haven't got the player/s to do it...then your foooked. 

Yup. Horses. Courses.

Back in the 1980s we played Steve Neville and Glyn Riley up front. Midgets. We didn’t play long ball….

You play the football that your squad best suits. And if that’s not your ideal, you tweak until you get there - but you don’t impose a philosophy without the tools to do so.

This is page one of the big book of coaching. Maybe Liam didn’t read it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

8 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Yup. Horses. Courses.

Back in the 1980s we played Steve Neville and Glyn Riley up front. Midgets. We didn’t play long ball….

You play the football that your squad best suits. And if that’s not your ideal, you tweak until you get there - but you don’t impose a philosophy without the tools to do so.

This is page one of the big book of coaching. Maybe Liam didn’t read it.

I don't think he read it...he swallowed it whole, and spouts coaching terminology lazily. 

He's the Les Dawson of coaching...says all the right phrases, but not particularly in the right order. 🙈

I really can't warm to him. Full of his own hype. 

Even Tommy was using expressions in his presser that he'd obviously had drilled into his head. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Top of my head these were all poor performances. 

Fella should be a used car salesman. 

Qpr (a)

Norwich

Huddersfield

Blackburn

Birmingham

Millwall

Preston

Leeds

Qpr (h)

Sheffield Wed

Birmingham and Millwall stand out for me. Both teams were on the verge of sacking their managers too

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Is there an element here of - “I didn’t make it as a pro player so I can’t quite relate to how it translates onto the pitch”?

Thats not a criticism, is this where Hoggy helps him?

(I want to hear from Hoggy)

SCREAMING LORD SUTCH & THE SAVAGES I'm a Hog For You

Edited by johnbytheriver
omitted a letter
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Graham76 said:

Birmingham and Millwall stand out for me. Both teams were on the verge of sacking their managers too

Millwall had just won their previous two games and drew the 2 before that so were actually on a decent run. Granted, 2 bad performances and Brum was about them not losing so they sat in & we can never break teams down who do that. 

• Like 2

Birmingham away, Norwich Home and aspects of Huddersfield seemed so-so. Albeit even if some technical good points about the Norwich display, the actual game was sleep inducing.

Blackburn, Millwall, Leeds, QPR (espcislly post the triple change), Sheffield Wednesday were all shockers.

Preston away was a poor collapse, the last half hour at Middlesbrough was really poor..we hung on just but we truly didn't need to go all bunker like that.

Even Middlesbrough at Home for the periods of the first half was quite flat. Not saying technically poor just dull.

2 hours ago, petehinton said:

“Had to adapt because of the players we’ve got”

Aka - I can’t play my style because of the squad, and Tinnion & JL sold the fans the dream. 

@Davefevs @Harry said he’d let it slip in an off the cuff manner, maybe not in the same week though 🤣🤣

Yep. I got the sense he didn’t really want to say exactly that but it came out. 

As Fevs said; and I agree, we’ve not really been trying to play Manning’s desired way for a few weeks. So there has clearly already been an element of adaptation.  

If we look at the first few games, he clearly came in and tried to get us to play with much more possession. Sometimes this was good but sometimes it was slow. Too slow. But you could see that we were trying to keep the ball much more. 
Problem is that these players aren’t capable of doing that consistently enough, and definitely not quick enough when under pressure. 
By quick enough, this is in speed of thought and decision making as well as speed of execution.  

I think LM has realised this and we have kind of reverted to type, ie our old ‘counter attacking’ manners. 
Fevs’ stats will back up that we are good at pressing and winning the ball back high up the pitch and creating chances off of that. 
So we’re kinda back to our old ways of being a threat when we haven’t got the ball. Which is totally counter to what LM ideally wants. 

He’s no doubt realised that some of our players don’t quite have that ability to execute exactly what he wants. 

This means he will (and I think to an extent already has) have to adapt. He’ll have to sacrifice his own ideologies until he can recruit (and he alludes to this in the interview today too). 
When he says ‘the processes don’t change’, that doesn’t mean he isn’t adapting/altering tactically. Just means they’ll keep doing the same things on the training pitch and in the meeting room (which revolves around instilling behaviours, empowerment, decision making, overcoming barriers etc). That’s the ‘processes’ that won’t change. The actual tactics have already changed and I think he knows that he is working with a limited group in terms of trying to get what he desires. 
He’s having to meet them halfway a little bit I think. Allow them to revert to type and play to their strengths. 

As has been mentioned a few times lately, I did say prior to his arrival that his style of play would not suit our squad. And I think he now realises that. 
What you have to be critical of is the process by which he was appointed here.

It’s very very evident from his CV exactly what type of football he wants to play. 
It was also very very evident what type of football our squad are best at. 
And never the twain shall meet. These 2 things are at total odds. 
So it calls into question why Tinnion targeted Manning. 

BT “Hi it’s Brian. We think you’re a great young up and coming coach and we think you’re the right fit for us to take us up” 

LM “Great, happy to come on board”

BT “here’s our squad. We play 4 at the back and really suit a counter attacking philosophy”

LM “well, I prefer to play with a 3 and like to dominate possession and enjoy wing backs, 2 dynamic midfielders and a creative number 10”

BT “sorry. We haven’t got that. But you’re a good coach aren’t you, sort it out”

LM “why did you approach me then? You know my ideals and you know this squad doesn’t suit”

BT “We have a plan. We’re all aligned. We’re a top end squad. We’ve got great chance of success. get on with it, I know what I’m doing” 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 2

46 minutes ago, Roe said:

Can't be bothered to watch but surely he didn't actually say only 1 bad performance in 20??

If you watch it you’ll understand the context. 

19 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Oh, he did. Technically one in 20 prior to the last two, so 3 in 22 but up until QPR we were playing like prime Barca (that last bit is sarcasm)

I think you’re being a tad facetious again Mr Dante. 

Yes, those were the words which were said but it was in the context of ‘we’ve been crap for 2 games but before that we’d come off the back of positive performances vs Southampton as well as Forest twice.’ 

20 games wasn’t a ‘scientific’ stat he’s studied and concluded. It was just a throwaway comment that whilst he acknowledges the last 2 have been bad, it’s not been all bad over the last couple of months. 

You know as well as I do that he doesn’t actually specifically mean he’s happy with 19 out of the last 20 performances. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

BT “Hi it’s Brian. We think you’re a great young up and coming coach and we think you’re the right fit for us to take us up” 

BT “here’s our squad. We play 4 at the back and really suit a counter attacking philosophy”

LM “well, I prefer to play with a 3 and like to dominate possession and enjoy wing backs, 2 dynamic midfielders and a creative number 10”

BT “sorry. We haven’t got that. But you’re a good coach aren’t you, sort it out”

LM “why did you approach me then? You know my ideals and you know this squad doesn’t suit”

BT “We have a plan. We’re all aligned. We’re a top end squad. We’ve got great chance of success. get on with it, I know what I’m doing” 

Jon and Sid will be livid that you've gone and plastered the actual transcript from the interview all over the forum.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yep. I got the sense he didn’t really want to say exactly that but it came out. 

As Fevs said; and I agree, we’ve not really been trying to play Manning’s desired way for a few weeks. So there has clearly already been an element of adaptation.  

If we look at the first few games, he clearly came in and tried to get us to play with much more possession. Sometimes this was good but sometimes it was slow. Too slow. But you could see that we were trying to keep the ball much more. 
Problem is that these players aren’t capable of doing that consistently enough, and definitely not quick enough when under pressure. 
By quick enough, this is in speed of thought and decision making as well as speed of execution.  

I think LM has realised this and we have kind of reverted to type, ie our old ‘counter attacking’ manners. 
Fevs’ stats will back up that we are good at pressing and winning the ball back high up the pitch and creating chances off of that. 
So we’re kinda back to our old ways of being a threat when we haven’t got the ball. Which is totally counter to what LM ideally wants. 

He’s no doubt realised that some of our players don’t quite have that ability to execute exactly what he wants. 

This means he will (and I think to an extent already has) have to adapt. He’ll have to sacrifice his own ideologies until he can recruit (and he alludes to this in the interview today too). 
When he says ‘the processes don’t change’, that doesn’t mean he isn’t adapting/altering tactically. Just means they’ll keep doing the same things on the training pitch and in the meeting room (which revolves around instilling behaviours, empowerment, decision making, overcoming barriers etc). That’s the ‘processes’ that won’t change. The actual tactics have already changed and I think he knows that he is working with a limited group in terms of trying to get what he desires. 
He’s having to meet them halfway a little bit I think. Allow them to revert to type and play to their strengths. 

As has been mentioned a few times lately, I did say prior to his arrival that his style of play would not suit our squad. And I think he now realises that. 
What you have to be critical of is the process by which he was appointed here.

It’s very very evident from his CV exactly what type of football he wants to play. 
It was also very very evident what type of football our squad are best at. 
And never the twain shall meet. These 2 things are at total odds. 
So it calls into question why Tinnion targeted Manning. 

Read your post and didn't know wether to laugh or (figuratively) cry.

Just makes me so bloody mad the mad, bad situation the chuckle brothers have put the club in.

From a relatively stable club to this!

They really couldn't have made a bigger balls up if they were ******* gas!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Believes prior to the last two games there was only one poor performance out of 20

Out of his head.

In 33 years before Manning had taken over I had only walked out of one game. 

Since Manning taking over I've walked out of 3.

If this is what he believes we will have a lot of poor performance coming are way.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CS Red said:

Out of his head.

In 33 years before Manning had taken over I had only walked out of one game. 

Since Manning taking over I've walked out of 3.

If this is what he believes we will have a lot of poor performance coming are way.

I know there are plenty of candidates for the walkout but.... may I humbly suggest 0-4 down at half time home to Leicester under SOD?

8 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

Everything I heard tells me he is reading this forum at length.  Almost aimed some comments as direct responses. 

After the defeat on Saturday, one of the inner circle was browsing.  Fair play for using their account rather than hiding I guess. 

20 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

Everything I heard tells me he is reading this forum at length.  Almost aimed some comments as direct responses. 

Or works with someone who does... not difficult to figure out who might have said to him "howay wor liam, you gotta laugh bonny lad, everything was great 12 days ago".

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Haha 2