IGNORED

Ipswich Town away match thread

5 hours ago, frenchred said:

I'll be there (7;of us) and you know what we will have a great journey up on the train, a cracking afternoon and evening with a few beers, maybe squeeze in something to eat. We got a nice hotel for the night so don't have to rush back.

The only downside is we will have to watch the football! If it's as bad as the last few games I won't be there to boo them off! Long gone (I sit in the dolman usually!)

Ha...exactly how me n my mate... we add something to the football agenda so we at have some good part of our travels to football. Evening games come up almost from Devon..lunch at the Watershed and then watch a film. Invariably better and some consolation for the football we then have to endure!!🤣

• Like 1

The level of work rate shown feels more important than points for me tonight, even with only being 6 points off the drop.

If the boys aren't willing to run through brick walls after the last few performances, I'll be very worried about where we're heading under Manning.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Jimmo said:

The level of work rate shown feels more important than points for me tonight, even with only being 6 points off the drop.

If the boys aren't willing to run through brick walls after the last few performances, I'll be very worried about where we're heading under Manning.

going to see some top drawer performances tonight against a team hoping to be prem next season. might not win but players know there will be eyes on this match

I can’t see us getting anything out of tonight’s game. I hope I’m wrong. 

Safe journey to City fans making the journey. I’ve been there a few times and it’s always a good away trip (despite City being terrible in the games I’ve seen there). 

2 hours ago, Jimmo said:

Quite agree Jim..

We are all complaining, and rightly so, about the Lansdown's, Tinnion, Manning's questionable tactical acumen - the general shit show.

Now the players need to stop moping, pull their socks up & show a bit of determination.

Ipswich, unbelievably are back to looking at an automatic promotion spot. Their squad, on the proverbial "paper' does not look "that" good either. But here they are, no fluke, they grind out results and have caused every team problems. They create many cut backs (remember them, we used to do those) and have a mix of possession and fast speedy transition into their attacks. You have to say, if a double promotion is on, McKenna , and yes the ghost of Ashton Gate past, will have done an extraordinary job. Really amazing. Indeed, you have to wonder how and why McKenna has come so good. A fair time spent as a  youth, followed by first team coach at Man Utd , briefly under Jose, then Ole, and then Rangernick. About 3 years. That is a limited but valuable experience, but others have followed that route and failed at a young age. What did Ashton see in him? They are not , as mentioned just focused on possession, or passing sequences, but do make it hard for teams to transition from defence to attack (alarm bells) , with a high turnover of possession, they do not let teams settle, and create a lot of chances. They defend high up the pitch. (that sounds familiar as a concept) . Anyway, they do not play in deep defensive blocks, so it might suit us if we can get in behind or find a way through their higher press. Interesting stuff. Sounds more like Luton of last season in their promotional year. (Yes the team we "out Lutoned" at home- some lessons forgotten there methinks) . 

It will be a tough night, we are out of sorts, and they can smell the glory. So a loss, but hopefully we at least create them some problems with our "perfect game plan" . But we will need to be on our energy bars, because we are not going to be given the ball to play as we want with. It will need a high intensity application to be in the game. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1
40 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

Fearful of a spanking tonight.

Nah, Powerpoint Man has had enough and will get them fired right up tonight...........I heard one or two are going to get told off at the team meeting. One player in particular, who hasn't been doing it, will be made to stand in the corner facing away from the rest of the squad with his finger on his lips.

• Haha 1

A spanking live on Sky will not do morale any good especially when it must be pretty low anyway after 3 defeats on the bounce and a trajectory heading very quickly towards League one.  I really hope we are going to see a reaction from the team tonight but I suspect that the gameplan will be another Manningball effort with 0 shots on target.

Will have to watch in the pub or a dodgy stream tonight but we might look a lot worse in HD, so a stream might be the best bet.  If you haven't got the stomach to watch then there is always Radio Brizzle and if you can't even bear to listen, then even the pub is out as they will be showing the game.

I think the only people likely to enjoy tonight will be the tractor boys and gasheads.  Possibly the fans of the bottom 3 may be happy to see us heading in their direction too.

I just hope that we do not get an embarrassing spanking.

11 minutes ago, Mattredrobin said:

Will be typical city to go and get a result tonight. I am fully behind Manning currently he needs a summer to get in what he needs.....However that said things appear to be turning toxic and a loss tonight and Sundays game is not going to be good.

Not getting at you Matt but part of this post is totally batshit. Why in the bluest of blue hell would you give the coach the summer to “get what he needs” when we had a solid base and to “get what he needs” is ripping that up on a punt of a head coach who has to date been ridiculously incompetent in game management, delusional in how well he thinks we’re playing and got the job based on a 12 game run of form.

Getting “what he needs” is a costly gamble with no merits.

What he needs is his P45, a personality transplant and to get the hell out of the club.

• Like 18
  • Hmmm 1
3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Not getting at you Matt but part of this post is totally batshit. Why in the bluest of blue hell would you give the coach the summer to “get what he needs” when we had a solid base and to “get what he needs” is ripping that up on a punt of a head coach who has to date been ridiculously incompetent in game management, delusional in how well he thinks we’re playing and got the job based on a 12 game run of form.

What he needs is his P45, a personality transplant and to get the hell out of the club.

Well said. This is it for me. I don't want Manning pulling this team apart and i don't want this 'given time to rebuild' excuse given to Manning as a free pass.

The quality is already there in the team to build on. What needs improving is the coaching and instructions to get the best out of them.

• Like 2

@mozo game starts 0-0 tonight, I go into every game with some hope.

FWIW, all I can ask is we’ve done our homework.

We know they take risks playing out through Hladky, but if we do press we have to make sure they go long and we isolate Moore or at least try to screen him.  We cannot allow them to play into Chaplin with room to ping Davis and Burns.  Especially that left side where Broadhead will drag our RB infield to leave “acres”.  Teams have struggled to stop them, but I think some of that is naivety / arrogance that you can press them to stop them.  It’s not just the front players, we would have to be brave to defend high and 1v1.  Are we brave?  Can’t be a half and half.  Preston managed it.

Hope we can put a dent in their promotion dreams.

7 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

I am doing this journey & back today, mainly because Portman Road will be a new ground for me. Glad I have all of today plus tomorrow morning off work!

Safe journey, and hope we play well. 

It'll be a late night! 😊

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@mozo game starts 0-0 tonight, I go into every game with some hope.

FWIW, all I can ask is we’ve done our homework.

We know they take risks playing out through Hladky, but if we do press we have to make sure they go long and we isolate Moore or at least try to screen him.  We cannot allow them to play into Chaplin with room to ping Davis and Burns.  Especially that left side where Broadhead will drag our RB infield to leave “acres”.  Teams have struggled to stop them, but I think some of that is naivety / arrogance that you can press them to stop them.  It’s not just the front players, we would have to be brave to defend high and 1v1.  Are we brave?  Can’t be a half and half.  Preston managed it.

Hope we can put a dent in their promotion dreams.

Broadhead isn't fit for tonight.

4 minutes ago, Dan11 said:

Broadhead isn't fit for tonight.

It matters not, Sarmiento or someone else will do that instead.

Likewise on other side if it’s not Burns, it’ll be Hutchinson or whoever.

Your way of playing is well-defined, slight differences depending on personnel but nothing too different in the patterns to get you into the final third.

17 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

There are very few people I despise more than insipid minstrel Ed Sheeran. 

Add that Scottish gobshite Lewis Capaldi to the list. 
I have a family member who is a big fan and my son thought it a good idea for us to sing one of his songs for her on her birthday ! 
Strangely she is still a big fan but has never asked us to ‘ perform ‘ for her since. 

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

I have a family member who is a big fan and my son thought it a good idea for us to sing one of his songs for her on her birthday ! 
Strangely she is still a big fan but has never asked us to ‘ perform ‘ for her since. 

Got a tape? Probably prefer that version?

19 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Only time I've been to Portman Road was Brett Pitman's first game. I remember he got his foot stuck in some netting behind the goal. 4.5 hours each way on CATS. I think we lost 2-0.

We go again…

Only time I've been there was April '78, Ipswich's last home game before their (winning) appearance in the F.A. Cup Final.

Pretty well a full house with Wembley flags prepared and waving, not many City fans.

City lost 1-0 and Bobby Robson was on the pitch at the end - unusual in those days - as the Ipswich fans gave their team and manager a noisy and colourful Wembley send off.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Why is Lewis Capaldi a "gob shite"? Seems one of the most genuine people in the business.

Anyway back on subject...

Not expecting anything tonight, don't know why I'm bothering to go but it's just my thing, I don't get many opportunities so I go to any game I reasonably can.

I just want to see something different to Saturday. Something to suggest that Manning has taken stock of what's not working and at least attempted to change it - and I want to see a reaction from the players. I don't actualy blame any of them for what's happening yet, I haven't seen any downing of tools as such, but I want to see them running through walls tonight.

38 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Sorry Silvio I disagree, there are players who aren't up to playing the way he wants those need to either not be in the squad or leave......He can't do that right now . There is never anything wrong with anyone believing in what they are doing....Obviously for the fans to believe in it we need to see results and performances that fit what he's saying....I have seen signs of it but obviously not enough. What is the alternative to sacking Manning ? What do you want the club to do right now ? and who comes in to replace him ? because if somebody new comes in he would need time to assess what he's got or get us to the end of the season at least and someone new in again in the summer. That is also a gamble.

• Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1
4 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Only time I've been there was April '78, Ipswich's last home game before their (winning) appearance in the F.A. Cup Final.

Pretty well a full house with Wembley flags prepared and waving, not many City fans.

City lost 1-0 and Bobby Robson was on the pitch at the end - unusual in those days - as the Ipswich fans gave their team and manager a noisy and colourful Wembley send off.

I remember watching the Cup Final Day build up on Swap Shop or whatever it was. There was some legend about the church bells or something, and that they would win. When Cup Final Day was something special for everyone.

• Like 1