IGNORED

Ipswich Town away match thread

4 minutes ago, Mattredrobin said:

Sorry Silvio I disagree, there are players who aren't up to playing the way he wants those need to either not be in the squad or leave......He can't do that right now . There is never anything wrong with anyone believing in what they are doing....Obviously for the fans to believe in it we need to see results and performances that fit what he's saying....I have seen signs of it but obviously not enough. What is the alternative to sacking Manning ? What do you want the club to do right now ? and who comes in to replace him ? because if somebody new comes in he would need time to assess what he's got or get us to the end of the season at least and someone new in again in the summer. That is also a gamble.

Matt, out of interest what are the signs that you have you seen?

(FWIW I don’t think everything has been shit, but have no belief in that his way will work)

• Like 3
46 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@mozo game starts 0-0 tonight, I go into every game with some hope.

FWIW, all I can ask is we’ve done our homework.

We know they take risks playing out through Hladky, but if we do press we have to make sure they go long and we isolate Moore or at least try to screen him.  We cannot allow them to play into Chaplin with room to ping Davis and Burns.  Especially that left side where Broadhead will drag our RB infield to leave “acres”.  Teams have struggled to stop them, but I think some of that is naivety / arrogance that you can press them to stop them.  It’s not just the front players, we would have to be brave to defend high and 1v1.  Are we brave?  Can’t be a half and half.  Preston managed it.

Hope we can put a dent in their promotion dreams.

If we are going to press from the front start Conway and not Wells!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Matt, out of interest what are the signs that you have you seen?

(FWIW I don’t think everything has been shit, but have no belief in that his way will work)

I am obviously not talking about the last 3 games we have been shocking, but I don't think that is all down to manning personally I think the players look knackered which is understandable with how many games we have had recently (same as everyone i know ) but before these games we have looked dangerous in attacking areas we just have not been able to score I think we have looked better defensivley and more organised, obviously we should be beating teams down the bottom but that's how we have always been. We brought Twine in to be that player that can unlock sides and he's got injured ( Obviously injuries is another debate we could have but not starting that ) so Manning knows what we need he just needs the time. Obviously this is just my opinion I know I'm in a very small minority but I would rather get behind the guy than constantly slating him. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 2
  • Facepalm 1
14 minutes ago, Mattredrobin said:

Sorry Silvio I disagree, there are players who aren't up to playing the way he wants those need to either not be in the squad or leave......He can't do that right now . There is never anything wrong with anyone believing in what they are doing....Obviously for the fans to believe in it we need to see results and performances that fit what he's saying....I have seen signs of it but obviously not enough. What is the alternative to sacking Manning ? What do you want the club to do right now ? and who comes in to replace him ? because if somebody new comes in he would need time to assess what he's got or get us to the end of the season at least and someone new in again in the summer. That is also a gamble.

Don’t want turn the Matchday thread into yet another debate about LM and his future but I have seen this point many times about the players not being his and all will be well when he can bring his own players in.

Well that may be true but until that time arrives the coach must get the best out of the players he’s got.

Poor performances can’t be excused by saying it’s not his players and they can’t play the style he wants.

He must play to the style that suits the players he has.

The best interests of the club have to take priority over the principles, beliefs or behaviours of the coach.

Be flexible, employ styles and tactics that utilise the abilities of the players and put some points on the board which will give you some leeway with the fans.

• Like 6

Of course I agree that he should be flexible, and get the best out of his players. However he wants us to be a possession based team, we have never been that. In the summer I expect players to come in that can improve us as a possession based team. 

Anyway like you say this is the matchday thread I  don't want to keep debating Manning, I said I think we will get a result tonight or at least a battling performance.

2 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Why is Lewis Capaldi a "gob shite"? Seems one of the most genuine people in the business.

Anyway back on subject...

Not expecting anything tonight, don't know why I'm bothering to go but it's just my thing, I don't get many opportunities so I go to any game I reasonably can.

I just want to see something different to Saturday. Something to suggest that Manning has taken stock of what's not working and at least attempted to change it - and I want to see a reaction from the players. I don't actualy blame any of them for what's happening yet, I haven't seen any downing of tools as such, but I want to see them running through walls tonight.

He may be genuine and probably is but he has got a big gob and I was only really joking although I don’t like his guttural singing style or the fact that someone in my family has built an ‘ altar’ in his honour. 
I wish you and all the other sufferers a safe journey and a good match to enjoy. It would be very ‘City ‘ to win tonight.🤞

19 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Hitler

Fred West

Brian Tinnion

REALLY! WTF????🤬 I can’t believe you’ve put him in there with the other two names! The guy was a legend in his day - we all know it went wrong at the end but his work rate was second to none. He was an absolute magician - best patio I’ve ever seen! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 16

Having read so much negativity on here, I looked "over the fence".

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/577869/needs-one-of-the-big-pr-midweek-atmospheres-tonight-doesnt-it/#15

Can't have any stony-faced sitting on hands waiting for us to win this one – the opposition are too good and the stakes way too high. Going into the final 10 games with our noses still in front, and the chance to achieve something truly generational, would be absolutely huge. It'll be a tough one tonight: Bristol City's games are almost always tight and decided by a one-goal margin; they know how to trouble good teams and I think their manager will fancy a crack at this fixture too. Was very impressed with them away at West Ham a few weeks back. It'd be nice to have one of Burns and Broadhead on the bench to mix things up a bit if we need because I don't think we're about to have anything handed to us. Time to crank up the volume and roar us towards something special – we'll regret it if we don't.

If it's a sticky game against obdurate opposition, it's important that the crowd don't start groaning at every misplaced pass if things don't go our way. But that's hard to control as the stress of this amazing season rises.

They also looked very good when they beat Southampton 3-1.
One of a bunch of about x8 sides outside the top 4 who look excellent on their day, but can’t string any consistency together.
No result would surprise me tonight, it will largely depend on which version of Bristol City turn up.
I fancy it will be another rollercoaster that’s hanging in the balance after 85 mins. Been so many of them this season, not sure I can survive many more.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Mattredrobin said:

So your alternative to changing the manager is to change the squad. How many would you change ? What if they don't want to leave or no one wants to buy them ?

Which players do you suggest need changing ?

Surely it is easier to change the manager to one that suits the way the squad / club has aligned us (style of play) over the past 12/18 months

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

There are multiple threads for this but in brief…

- By pretty much common consensus we had a squad who provided a solid base to work with

- Somehow, by the logic above, that base is no longer solid but not up to it

- The coach is supposed to be on the grass coach and therefore by definition should be able to coach players to improve

- But based on the above, you’re saying he can’t- and these are pro footballers most of whom were schooled in academies

- So, your solution is to give him money. By definition confirming he’s not a great “coach” but needs cash

- Said coach had a top six budget at Milton Keynes to get his players and took them into the relegation zone

- So, cash isn’t the answer. 

- And as you say he needs his players - having had half a season with the current good crop and regressed them. 

- So, he can’t coach players who aren’t his and fails with players who are

- But, he thinks 19 of 20 games are good and doesn’t see what you do, so he’s delusional

- Therefore, you have a coach who thinks he’s doing well when being 23rd in the form table who shows no aptitude to manage players both who are his and who aren’t his

On that basis, it’s reasonable to say he’s not very good. And the argument “Well somebody new would need to come in and assess and is a gamble” is no argument at all when the current incumbent is so clearly not up to it.

This is an excellent post. 

I would also add another perspective

If the players we have at the club are no longer deemed able and capable to play how Manning wants then that means

- Manning is the wrong coach for those players

- Or the person responsible for recruiting them has got it wrong 

One of them needs to leave as a minimum

That the excuse being made (I assume it is now the club trying to dig itself out of its self-inflicted hole) is that Manning needs his players , I find it bemusing that

- 2 of the next season's squad we tried to sign under Pearson 

- Pearson was not given funds to sign a Scott replacement, a player who we had seen in the brief pre-season was intended to play a more advanced "10" role. Twine is now the player designated

- Pearson was not given funds to sign a Semenyo replacement, though they did try for Ogbene. That forward type is now a target for the summer.

So I am confused.

The squad is not good enough for Manning to play his game, but we are essentially targeting the same players and positions Pearson also needed players for. 

So, are the players good enough or not? What players does Manning need, because we seem to be signing the players Pearson wanted and needed, to play a certain way, that is not how Manning plays.

Are Tinnion and Manning talking? Because it looks to me we have people operating in different orbits.

OR has Lansdown understood his complete and utter cock up, and Manning will be sacked , and Nige is coming back with his back all fixed up ready to go again. 

• Like 8
  • Flames 4
37 minutes ago, Red Billy said:

REALLY! WTF????🤬 I can’t believe you’ve put him in there with the other two names! The guy was a legend in his day - we all know it went wrong at the end but his work rate was second to none. He was an absolute magician - best patio I’ve ever seen! 

leonardo dicaprio bravo GIF

19 minutes ago, RollsRoyce said:

This is an excellent post. 

I would also add another perspective

If the players we have at the club are no longer deemed able and capable to play how Manning wants then that means

- Manning is the wrong coach for those players

- Or the person responsible for recruiting them has got it wrong 

One of them needs to leave as a minimum

That the excuse being made (I assume it is now the club trying to dig itself out of its self-inflicted hole) is that Manning needs his players , I find it bemusing that

- 2 of the next season's squad we tried to sign under Pearson 

- Pearson was not given funds to sign a Scott replacement, a player who we had seen in the brief pre-season was intended to play a more advanced "10" role. Twine is now the player designated

- Pearson was not given funds to sign a Semenyo replacement, though they did try for Ogbene. That forward type is now a target for the summer.

So I am confused.

The squad is not good enough for Manning to play his game, but we are essentially targeting the same players and positions Pearson also needed players for. 

So, are the players good enough or not? What players does Manning need, because we seem to be signing the players Pearson wanted and needed, to play a certain way, that is not how Manning plays.

Are Tinnion and Manning talking? Because it looks to me we have people operating in different orbits.

OR has Lansdown understood his complete and utter cock up, and Manning will be sacked , and Nige is coming back with his back all fixed up ready to go again. 

Happy Simon Cowell GIF by America's Got Talent

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Mattredrobin said:

Of course I agree that he should be flexible, and get the best out of his players. However he wants us to be a possession based team, we have never been that. In the summer I expect players to come in that can improve us as a possession based team. 

Anyway like you say this is the matchday thread I  don't want to keep debating Manning, I said I think we will get a result tonight or at least a battling performance.

They won’t be his players completely though, that’s not how it works. It will be a combination of Tinnion and the analysts players who will feed them in to Manning.

1 hour ago, Mattredrobin said:

I am obviously not talking about the last 3 games we have been shocking, but I don't think that is all down to manning personally I think the players look knackered which is understandable with how many games we have had recently (same as everyone i know ) but before these games we have looked dangerous in attacking areas we just have not been able to score I think we have looked better defensivley and more organised, obviously we should be beating teams down the bottom but that's how we have always been. We brought Twine in to be that player that can unlock sides and he's got injured ( Obviously injuries is another debate we could have but not starting that ) so Manning knows what we need he just needs the time. Obviously this is just my opinion I know I'm in a very small minority but I would rather get behind the guy than constantly slating him. 

Have we been better defensively? Before this abysmal run, when results were looking better,  I seem to remember feeling Max O’Leary being our best and most heavily employed player. 

3 hours ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Don’t want turn the Matchday thread into yet another debate about LM and his future but I have seen this point many times about the players not being his and all will be well when he can bring his own players in.

Well that may be true but until that time arrives the coach must get the best out of the players he’s got.

Poor performances can’t be excused by saying it’s not his players and they can’t play the style he wants.

He must play to the style that suits the players he has.

The best interests of the club have to take priority over the principles, beliefs or behaviours of the coach.

Be flexible, employ styles and tactics that utilise the abilities of the players and put some points on the board which will give you some leeway with the fans.

I agree ,apart from Klopp and Gardiola, which coach has a hundred percent of his players in the squad these days ? 
Which coach has the luxury of all the time he wants with his players ? 
I don’t think Manning is the right fit for the club we continue to ,as the French say , ‘ fart above our arseholes’ . 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Robbored said:

One factor in our favour is that The Tractor Boys be on the front foot from the start just as Southampton were That’ll play into our hands and I can (optimistically) see us nicking a win at Portman Rd…………:fingerscrossed:

Yeah but on the other hand we haven't had any time since Saturday to be well coached up Failand,  and like practice stuff 

• Haha 1