IGNORED

Losing one’s temper

Ivorguy

6 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Yeah fair, I'm not sure I can ever remember wanting City to lose, but I can sort of see the logic in it.

I can't see the logic.

In the past two decades SL has never been trigger happy and never sacked a full time contracted manager with less than 25 games in charge. As it stands ( and things can change either way) we are not in the relegation zone and unlikely to become so. People wanting us to lose so that LM gets the chop is silly and ,for some, seems to be a matter of proving they were right at any cost to the club. IMO, of course.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Andy Llewellyn once famously said that in all the time he played under Joe Jordan that he never lost his temper once, he said his look was enough.

I suppose starting off by being a scary bloke who also scored in 3 different World Cups & played in Serie A for AC Milan is a bit of a head start, but I doubt losing your temper is ever likely to achieve much.

I think Euell had a bit of that about him.  The look he gave a few times on those RU videos, was “don’t do that again, you don’t wanna find out what I’m like if you piss me off”.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Well- there we have it. A victory against Ipswich will be largely meaningless and you'd want BCFC to lose for the greater good. Madness.

It's not madness. 

It's long term gain.

As is the Lansdowns selling up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

How many clubs in the Prem have a "strategy" of "picking up Championship players with 150 league games under their belt"? None because guess where they'll ''end up? Yet Sid reckons we can fill our squad with "lower league gems" and do the complete opposite in the Championship. Can someone please make this make sense?

Not really…other than financial circumstances dictating.

But I think you can exploit the market and find undervalued players. 

Knight is one.

Bird probably another.

Both played 100 times at this level, young, but circumstances meant they are in Lg1.  They weren’t Lg1 players, just there through circumstance.

Undervalued players was the basis of Moneyball (if you’ve not read the book…don’t bother with the film).

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Superjack said:

**** off. 

Don't read it.

There are 22 threads on page 1 of OTIB. 14 of these are anti Manning or anti BCFC. Even the Dicky player of the month opens with a 'Titanic' reference.

You have a lot of anger towards someone who appears to be stating the bleedin' obvious.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 1

42 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Andy Llewellyn once famously said that in all the time he played under Joe Jordan that he never lost his temper once, he said his look was enough.

I suppose starting off by being a scary bloke who also scored in 3 different World Cups & played in Serie A for AC Milan is a bit of a head start, but I doubt losing your temper is ever likely to achieve much.

🤣 

Isn’t that the case !

I happened to have pretty regular reason to be visiting  the inner sanctum (ie a corridor under the Williams) during the week and players would be fart adding around and messing around after training and you’d suddenly see them scatter out of sight into the changing room or gym , like schoolboys at a boarding school when the headmaster appeared , and you’d then notice Joe had arrived 

Incredible presence / aura

Helped by his natural growl and an accent that meant most of the players caught about every tenth word 🤣

* And he was as fit if not fitter than any of the players , always led the run and finished first , always in the gym after his ‘work’ 

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 7

21 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Yep, absolutely. He's already recorded on the club's own social media output as telling players "I've told you already...".

At which point, there's the distinct possibility a few of them were thinking "who the heck are you". The worse results are, the more likely this reaction.

It's why we're getting rid of lots of experienced players and replacing them in the summer with teenagers from Aldershot, Ireland and who knows what other minor leagues.

Which is exactly where we'll end up if Tinnion and puppet Manning remain in charge long enough.

'I've told you already '

seriously?

Imagine what Matty James thinks of him?

24 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

How many clubs in the Prem have a "strategy" of "picking up Championship players with 150 league games under their belt"? None because guess where they'll ''end up? Yet Sid reckons we can fill our squad with "lower league gems" and do the complete opposite in the Championship. Can someone please make this make sense?

Not just players though, is it! Now we've got a lower league coach as well!

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Managers normally take over when a club is in the shit. Most would bite your hand off to take charge of a side with no attitude problems and bumbling along comfortably in mid-table. What most probably wouldn't be doing in that scenario is ripping the lot up and ******* the lot up.

If Liam tried to "beat anyone up" Andy King or Matty James would probably tell him to shut the **** up" and that wouldn't happen again.

If a selection of players  maybe James, Naismith,  Vyner, Wells Contacted Steve Lansdown to advise that it's a s***show, what do you suppose would happen?

Did Steve pick Manning?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

There are 22 threads on page 1 of OTIB. 14 of these are anti Manning or anti BCFC. Even the Dicky player of the month opens with a 'Titanic' reference.

You have a lot of anger towards someone who appears to be stating the bleedin' obvious.

Blame your precious overlords for my anger.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Well- there we have it. A victory against Ipswich will be largely meaningless and you'd want BCFC to lose for the greater good. Madness.

What about the madness of sacking Pearson in the first place?

What about the madness of replacing him with someone who has no experience in the championship either as a player or coach?

What about the madness of having two people in charge of the club with no experience or qualifications to be in such a position?

What about the madness of not even seeing what's right in front of people when they attend games?

Get rid, all three of them and replace with people who know what they are doing....

• Like 3
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 1

55 minutes ago, eardun said:

“The frustration comes from saying the same messages, and that’s the biggest bit. We can coach, we can tactically set up perfect, but we have to have people stepping up and taking responsibility - we need leaders.

I'm starting to lose my temper with the constant 'everything I do is perfect and it's the players that are at fault' 

He inherited a decent squad that could have got top 10. Instead he has turned that squad into relegation candidates. 

He talks about responsibility yet refuses to take absolutely zero responsibility for the shit show he has created. 

He's got zero experience at this level and hes pushing all the blame on to experienced players. This won't end well. When a manager starts doing this it only ends one way. He's in Nathan Jones territory. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

As I was trying to say in my '2 stools' post (not my best choice of words) I don't think LM quite knew what stance to take.

I think NP had enough experience to know that you can't be mates with the players. Have a divide, be the boss and then you can dish out a rollicking whenever you like. If you win the league, no one worries about the half time shouting.

If the manager tries to be one of the squad in a 'we're all in it together' style, it's great when winning but you have nowhere to go when you need to fire them up. I have seen this outside football.

So, in a way, having a bad run could be a force for change, create that authority. A harsh way to learn that lesson though and establishing authority does not guarantee results on it's own.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

As I was trying to say in my '2 stools' post (not my best choice of words) I don't think LM quite knew what stance to take.

I think NP had enough experience to know that you can't be mates with the players. Have a divide, be the boss and then you can dish out a rollicking whenever you like. If you win the league, no one worries about the half time shouting.

If the manager tries to be one of the squad in a 'we're all in it together' style, it's great when winning but you have nowhere to go when you need to fire them up. I have seen this outside football.

So, in a way, having a bad run could be a force for change, create that authority. A harsh way to learn that lesson though and establishing authority does not guarantee results on it's own.

Always makes me cringe when I hear him saying "Twiney, Pringy" etc. You see it in the training videos too, he thinks he's one of the lads. 

He's not a manager, he's a coach and it shows. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

16 minutes ago, Superjack said:

You forgot the comma.

Or just didn't know that you needed it. 

Because you're an idiot.

You're welcome.

You understood it.

33 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

What about the madness of sacking Pearson in the first place?

What about the madness of replacing him with someone who has no experience in the championship either as a player or coach?

What about the madness of having two people in charge of the club with no experience or qualifications to be in such a position?

What about the madness of not even seeing what's right in front of people when they attend games?

Get rid, all three of them and replace with people who know what they are doing....

I don't disagree with any of that, but a defeat tomorrow isn't going to change any of it immediately, is it?

9 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I don't disagree with any of that, but a defeat tomorrow isn't going to change any of it immediately, is it?

What with the pillocks we have in charge? No.

Look, something has to change, it can't go on as it is.

We either start playing football and win some games or change the manager.

Lets hope it's winning but I'm definitely not holding my breath..

Then create a thread of your own instead of moaning about others. What do you want to talk about?

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

I can't see the logic.

In the past two decades SL has never been trigger happy and never sacked a full time contracted manager with less than 25 games in charge. As it stands ( and things can change either way) we are not in the relegation zone and unlikely to become so. People wanting us to lose so that LM gets the chop is silly and ,for some, seems to be a matter of proving they were right at any cost to the club. IMO, of course.

So are you saying that the changes in management we have seen in the last 12 months have been good and the club is going in the right direction? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

sort of reminds me of LJ getting angry with the players.

Dennis Healey; 

On debating with Geoffrey Howe:

Like being savaged by a dead sheep.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I can't see the logic.

I wonder how you can be so sure that we're unlikely to drop into the bottom three.

Continue like we are and it's a cast iron certainty that we'll end up in the relegation dogfight.

And while the Blades are getting hammered this evening, we could be on the end of a very similar situation tomorrow.

I really do hope that doesn't happen. I never want City to lose in any match, whoever the opposition are, football or tiddly winks and however much I believe that we need to change this head coach for a manager with the skill and experience to pick us up.

• Like 4