IGNORED

FGR

1 hour ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

He was too outspoken, like Nigel for our board. Such a shame, we have done well when we haven’t had yes men. 

I enjoyed some of the Wilson era but ultimately it ran aground with a failure to get promotion. However what followed under a certain Technical Director was a huge regression.

However the only 2 unequivocally appointments by SL plus one by Dawe, in 25 years or more..all more experienced, could argue Wilson was alright up to a point but failed to get over the line.

• Like 1

John Gayle, ex, torquay-wimbledon lives couple of doors away from me and we were chatting about Cotts the other day. Still sees him occasionaly and says he's one of the best blokes he's ever known. Can't believe how he was treated here.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, paignton red said:

John Gayle, ex, torquay-wimbledon lives couple of doors away from me and we were chatting about Cotts the other day. Still sees him occasionaly and says he's one of the best blokes he's ever known. Can't believe how he was treated here.

You reading that Lansdowns?

Nothing but contempt for them. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 3

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

A. Manager.

This is what a legend looks like BT/JL/SL would drive us on....better not sign him then...makes me even more depressed about this club :gaah: Note to MANNING/TINPOT this is how talk to a camera

Edited by mason
  • Like 7
  • Flames 4

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

A. Manager.

How much have we missed this?

Humble, no buzz words, endless energy, enthusiasm, emotion and fire in his eyes.

"Now, now they know what I'm talking about when I talk about team spirit"

Praises the fans, completely understands the commitment and sacrifices that fans make for long distance midweek games like this.

He's building belief, desire and togetherness.

I'd renew my season ticket in a heartbeat if Cotts was still leading us.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, 38MC said:

Steve Cotterill is an incredibly talented football manager who unfortunately has never really caught the break that would see him hit the heights that his skills -for me - undoubtedly deserves. He has either suffered from being a firefighter or not backed to the extent he deserves when he has brought success. I think he’s criminally underrated. 

one of SL’s biggest regrets, what ifs, and sleepless nights should be ‘if I just backed him immediately after promotion’. That’s the Ipswich model mate 

Unfortunately, SL is a thin skinned dick.

• Like 4

I was at the game last night and it was a real reminder of everything that's good about Steve Cotterill.

It was hardly a masterclass in slick, possession football, but that's to be expected. For a team in the relegation zone, going to a side on a good run, and playing on an awful pitch, they did everything that could be expected. Threw themselves in front of everything, gave everything they had, and in Doidge they had an experienced, intelligent forward to help relieve the pressure (and score 2 goals).

Based on what I've seen, I'd rather watch Manning's City team play, but again that's not really a fair comparison. I have every confidence that Steve Cotterill will keep FGR up and move them forward next year. There's a real positivity about them now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, petehinton said:

Can’t believe Forest Green ******* Rovers have the blessing of Steve Cotterill in charge, with Umbro as kit manufacturer too. 

******* joke. Save some happiness & luck for the rest of us. 

I know! I noticed that. 

wtf are BCFC playing at

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

I was at the game last night and it was a real reminder of everything that's good about Steve Cotterill.

It was hardly a masterclass in slick, possession football, but that's to be expected. For a team in the relegation zone, going to a side on a good run, and playing on an awful pitch, they did everything that could be expected. Threw themselves in front of everything, gave everything they had, and in Doidge they had an experienced, intelligent forward to help relieve the pressure (and score 2 goals).

Based on what I've seen, I'd rather watch Manning's City team play, but again that's not really a fair comparison. I have every confidence that Steve Cotterill will keep FGR up and move them forward next year. There's a real positivity about them now.

What the keeper like (Vincent Reyes)?  I’m hearing good things.  He’s on loan from Norwich.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What the keeper like (Vincent Reyes)?  I’m hearing good things.  He’s on loan from Norwich.

He looked a bit nervous and inexperienced but far from hopeless. Long shots were handled fairly cleanly but he chose to punch most aerial balls away which, although he did effectively enough, didn't do a lot to relieve the pressure the team was under. His kicking from hands wasn't as accurate as it could have been, but it was more a case of going too long than anything else, and with FGR up against it there were limited options for him to pick a pass.

I was impressed by their young defender, Harvey Bunker. He looked physically strong but also seemed to have good intelligence and positioning.

21 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I still miss “we battered them, absolutely battered them” Cotts. 
just the kind of manager fans want. Honesty, straight talking, passion, fun, humour.

it is making me more depressed by the day the situation at BCFC 

Whilst I entirely concur, I go back to my mantra of the result is everything. In his 1st season in charge we got well beat away (Sheff Utd, I think) & Cotts did a post match rant about it not being a "Steve Cotterill team" out there.

From memory, the forum wasn't full of praise for his honesty & passion, he was ridiculed for referring to himself in the 3rd person.

The truth is, you can be studious as Wenger or as emotional as Warnock as long as you're getting the right results. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

27 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

He looked a bit nervous and inexperienced but far from hopeless. Long shots were handled fairly cleanly but he chose to punch most aerial balls away which, although he did effectively enough, didn't do a lot to relieve the pressure the team was under. His kicking from hands wasn't as accurate as it could have been, but it was more a case of going too long than anything else, and with FGR up against it there were limited options for him to pick a pass.

I was impressed by their young defender, Harvey Bunker. He looked physically strong but also seemed to have good intelligence and positioning.

Good summary Dan. 
Dave - the keeper, Reyes, gives me butterflies whenever the ball goes near him. 
He did pull off a couple of good close range saves but when the ball is in the air, I am hiding behind the sofa! 

For reference, it was his awful flapping that led to the late Wrexham equaliser last week. 
He seems to play very well and then make a complete blunder. 
FGR have really struggled for a decent keeper since their promotion year (and they’ve signed about 6 of them since then!!)

Regarding Harvey Bunker - Dave and I have had a number of conversations about him. 
He’s always played as a DM but Cotts has moved him to LCB in a back 3 and he’s been solid there. As you say Dan, he got in the way of everything last night and was brilliant. 
Cotts then reacted to their half time subs and moved Bunker into midfield again to counter Jamie Walker coming on. And he did his job there too. 
I like Bunker - he’s a neat and tidy player with a good heart and desire. 

Edited by Harry

46 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

Whilst I entirely concur, I go back to my mantra of the result is everything. In his 1st season in charge we got well beat away (Sheff Utd, I think) & Cotts did a post match rant about it not being a "Steve Cotterill team" out there.

From memory, the forum wasn't full of praise for his honesty & passion, he was ridiculed for referring to himself in the 3rd person.

The truth is, you can be studious as Wenger or as emotional as Warnock as long as you're getting the right results. 

did he mean players or work ethic?

I'd still rather a manager with a personality. I was going to add in my earlier post, Nige wasn't always a bundle of laughs in his interviews, sometimes he was really prickly, but I always felt he was honest, or as honest as he could be.

• Like 4

Our board decided we were good enough having walked League One and were very enthusiastic about tightening the purse strings.

Cotts wanted business done early to give him the pre-season to prep the team. The board thought otherwise and he started the season a rather frustrated man. 

In hindsight he was right in wanting business done early, but it's "their club" at the end of the day and they set the strategy.

When the wheels came off and he spouted his frustrations Keith Dawe's man had to go.....

I wish Cotts every success at Forest Green. How I wish he had been backed to the hilt here with us. 

Still, we don't want any manager to be more popular than the board now do we? If that becomes the case we should always find out who's club this really is. Toys out of the pram, break, easy.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, Gert Mare said:

Our board decided we were good enough having walked League One and were very enthusiastic about tightening the purse strings.

Cotts wanted business done early to give him the pre-season to prep the team. The board thought otherwise and he started the season a rather frustrated man. 

In hindsight he was right in wanting business done early, but it's "their club" at the end of the day and they set the strategy.

When the wheels came off and he spouted his frustrations Keith Dawe's man had to go.....

I wish Cotts every success at Forest Green. How I wish he had been backed to the hilt here with us. 

Still, we don't want any manager to be more popular than the board now do we? If that becomes the case we should always find out who's club this really is. Toys out of the pram, break, easy.

Would think T Pulis :gaah: is more popular than our board atm

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Harry said:

Good summary Dan. 
Dave - the keeper, Reyes, gives me butterflies whenever the ball goes near him. 
He did pull off a couple of good close range saves but when the ball is in the air, I am hiding behind the sofa! 

For reference, it was his awful flapping that led to the late Wrexham equaliser last week. 
He seems to play very well and then make a complete blunder. 
FGR have really struggled for a decent keeper since their promotion year (and they’ve signed about 6 of them since then!!)

Regarding Harvey Bunker - Dave and I have had a number of conversations about him. 
He’s always played as a DM but Cotts has moved him to LCB in a back 3 and he’s been solid there. As you say Dan, he got in the way of everything last night and was brilliant. 
Cotts then reacted to their half time subs and moved Bunker into midfield again to counter Jamie Walker coming on. And he did his job there too. 
I like Bunker - he’s a neat and tidy player with a good heart and desire. 

@Harry

Reyes made an excellent penalty save against Walsall at a critical point of the game, as well as 2 x 1 on 1 saves.

He's quite small, but a excellent shop stopper at that level.

Bunker played CDM against Walsall, wasn't great and was subbed off after 58 mins for Omotoye (who went on to win the penalty, that was never a pen.. 🤣)

With two really good runner in Doidge and McAllister up top (alongside Omotoye), Cotts has really given them a chance of staying up.

Playing Sutton at home this weekend, massive game... C'mon Cotts.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

@Harry

Reyes made an excellent penalty save against Walsall at a critical point of the game, as well as 2 x 1 on 1 saves.

He's quite small, but a excellent shop stopper at that level.

Bunker played CDM against Walsall, wasn't great and was subbed off after 58 mins for Omotoye (who went on to win the penalty, that was never a pen.. 🤣)

With two really good runner in Doidge and McAllister up top (alongside Omotoye), Cotts has really given them a chance of staying up.

Playing Sutton at home this weekend, massive game... C'mon Cotts.

Yep. I watched the Walsall game back on EFL TV. 
Reyes did make some good saves and of course the penalty, but he just scares the hell out of me when the ball is on the air. 
Bunker is usually played at DM and is usually technically good but does have the odd lapse. His size is useful though. Cotts has played him at RCB in most games so far but he does change it up and puts him back into DM too. Versatility. He’s had a good season to be for to him. 
Doidge has made a good impact up top - as you say, more as that willing runner as much as anything. McAllister is the most technically gifted player they have but he does need to get his head up sometimes. 
I’ve been pleasantly surprised by Osadebe too. Wasn’t sure about him when he signed but he’s putting in some bloody good shifts and was good defensively last night too. 
Cotts definitely had them organised and playing for each other (and basically playing for their league status). 

Yep. Huge game this week v Sutton. I’d usually only do FGR if they kick off at a different time, but this week I might forego watching our stream v West Brom and head up the road for Sutton instead. Huge game. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yep. Huge game this week v Sutton. I’d usually only do FGR if they kick off at a different time, but this week I might forego watching our stream v West Brom and head up the road for Sutton instead. Huge game. 

I was just thinking the same, more appealing than watch us likely get comfortably beaten as usual at West Brom.

• Like 1

Just now, Harry said:

See you there 🤣

What pub are we meeting at...............nah .........sort of game could easy take my son and grandson to (for his first ever live game) but bowel preparing....all day.....🤢...ah well maybe next time.

• Like 1