IGNORED

Bristol Gigs & Festivals

RedM

• The title was changed to Bristol Gigs & Festivals
3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It does come down to what you like and I've got a pretty eclectic music taste. 

You strike me as someone who probably likes male rock/indie bands and so are unlikely to find an eclectic line-up of much interest.

Radio X listener you mean😂

I’m partial to a bit of old funk/soul too.

• Like 2

The best band around at the moment * are playing the Thekla , those that have seen and heard the K's would (I hope) agree. New album out next week . Be my 3rd time seeing them in around a year , they are well worth checking out if you haven't already.

* All opinions are the authors own*

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It does come down to what you like and I've got a pretty eclectic music taste. 

You strike me as someone who probably likes male rock/indie bands and so are unlikely to find an eclectic line-up of much interest.

I disagree with this I think. My jam is rock and roll but that doesn't mean I haven't respected and looked forward to headliners from other genres in the past.

Adele, Elton John, Dolly Parton, Jay-z, Beyonce, Kanye west, the prodigy, stormyzy, David Bowie. All artists from genres I dont like at all but at least respected and had a buzz about because they are icons from their respective genres. 

This years lineup seems like a shit show in comparison but I'm old and grumpy so maybe its just I dont get the kids.🤣

Edited by Glasgow Red
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Glasgow Red said:

I disagree with this I think. My jam is rock and roll but that doesn't mean I haven't respected and looked forward to headliners from other genres in the past.

Adele, Elton John, Dolly Parton, Jay-z, Beyonce, Kanye west, the prodigy, stormyzy, David Bowie. All artists from genres I dont like at all but at least respected and had a buzz about because they are icons from their respective genres. 

This years lineup seems like a shit show in comparison but I'm old and grumpy so maybe its just I dont get the kids.🤣

OK mate, as a little taster then this is Janelle Monae on her TV debut on Letterman. 

If you like rock and hip hop then you should have no problem appreciating this performance.

One for @Lew-T as well as plenty of soul and a bit of funk on show too.

Plus her dancing! 

I saw her at the Academy years ago and, like I say, one of the best all round artistic performances I've ever seen.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

OK mate, as a little taster then this is Janelle Monae on her TV debut on Letterman. 

If you like rock and hip hop then you should have no problem appreciating this performance.

Plus her dancing! 

I saw her at the Academy years ago and, like I say, one of the best all round artistic performances I've ever seen.

Music is so much personal taste. I tend not to like many female singers in general, seeing even just that clip I've decided she's not for me.

Last Glastonbury I went and saw Raye who was highly recommended to me by many people. She didn't do it for me at all but has since gone on to win loads and loads of music awards and nominations at the Brits (?). I certainly wouldn't see her again, but like I said music is personal taste.

I do like Glastonbury for that, having the choice and discovering new stuff. If you don't like something you can move on, but unless it's really bad I tend to stick it out and try to get the feel of it. I stuck out Raye but wish I hadn't if I'm honest.

17 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Plus her dancing! 

Quite a lot of people don’t seem to like solo female singers for some reason. Or don’t even give them a chance. I think if that performance was by a band called The Monaes instead more people would have discovered it by now and would be fans of the band. 

19 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Plus her dancing! 

Very entertaining performance

19 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

I think a Glastonbury headliner should be someone at least 70% of the audience have heard of and know some of their material

I'm not sure why this needs to be the case. This might show a big age difference between users here, but even as far back as the supposed heyday of the 2000's I think there have been headliners who potentially weren't known by 70% of the population.

Would 70% of the population have known Moby? Travis? Basement Jaxx? In 2009 would all the kids know who Neil Young is (I certainly hadn't heard of him at that age even though he's a legend!). Arcade Fire in 2014? Big names, but 70%+ of the population?

I think the lineups these days are more a symptom of the music industry than a sign of a 'poor' lineup. Access to music is so much easier and wider, and is less siloed to a finite number of tv and radio stations, so musical interests are far more fragmented and niche. I think for that reason, people who are less interested in music and only see the 'big' acts shout every year about how lineup's are going downhill, despite the fact that attendance numbers suggest the complete opposite.

Gone are the days where most had heard of almost the entire lineup, there is so much more variety now. Guitar music is in a bit of a rut, but there is so much great stuff in the other genres being pushed now.

Edited by nebristolred
  • Like 2

On 17/03/2024 at 07:22, nebristolred said:

I'm not sure why this needs to be the case. This might show a big age difference between users here, but even as far back as the supposed heyday of the 2000's I think there have been headliners who potentially weren't known by 70% of the population.

Would 70% of the population have known Moby? Travis? Basement Jaxx? In 2009 would all the kids know who Neil Young is (I certainly hadn't heard of him at that age even though he's a legend!). Arcade Fire in 2014? Big names, but 70%+ of the population?

I think the lineups these days are more a symptom of the music industry than a sign of a 'poor' lineup. Access to music is so much easier and wider, and is less siloed to a finite number of tv and radio stations, so musical interests are far more fragmented and niche. I think for that reason, people who are less interested in music and only see the 'big' acts shout every year about how lineup's are going downhill, despite the fact that attendance numbers suggest the complete opposite.

Gone are the days where most had heard of almost the entire lineup, there is so much more variety now. Guitar music is in a bit of a rut, but there is so much great stuff in the other genres being pushed now.

Not saying I'm in agreement, but good analysis 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nebristolred said:

The stages are side-by-side so it shouldn't really matter. Wonder how sales are going for this (and Forwards for that matter).

I'm not so sure, you might get surges rushing from one finishing to another act immediately starting? That's assuming there will be a crowd of course!

On 17/03/2024 at 07:22, nebristolred said:

I agree with your general point but I think it's easy to forget how ubiquitous Moby and Travis were at the time of their headline slots. Travis were all over pretty much every radio station from commercial to alternative and songs from Moby's Play appeared in loads of films, TV shows, adverts etc. I reckon pretty much everyone would have recognised Moby's songs - even if they'd not known who the artist was.

Your point about fragmented music is totally bang on. Now that we're in an era where no radio station, music TV show or publication reaches mass audiences in the way they used to, there simply aren't acts who are known to 70% of the population. Even the biggest acts - Taylor Swift, Billie Eilish or Adele for example - are incredibly easy to never hear songs by if you don't go out of your way to listen to them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

I agree with your general point but I think it's easy to forget how ubiquitous Moby and Travis were at the time of their headline slots. Travis were all over pretty much every radio station from commercial to alternative and songs from Moby's Play appeared in loads of films, TV shows, adverts etc. I reckon pretty much everyone would have recognised Moby's songs - even if they'd not known who the artist was.

Your point about fragmented music is totally bang on. Now that we're in an era where no radio station, music TV show or publication reaches mass audiences in the way they used to, there simply aren't acts who are known to 70% of the population. Even the biggest acts - Taylor Swift, Billie Eilish or Adele for example - are incredibly easy to never hear songs by if you don't go out of your way to listen to them. 

Yes - there's a certain irony in that. Back in the day, we only had radio and the TV with its four channels, and yet the music of the biggest stars was everywhere

Cracking gig , top pizza upstairs in renatos before , and unexpected highlight was being warm enough to sink a few beers post gig out on beer terrace. Summer is coming , happy days 

Just booked English teacher for November in SWX. Album out today getting great reviews 

Edited by internetjef
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Good to see you at Sprints this eve @internetjef at Thekla.

Great gig and we won't get to see them in such a small venue again!

Lead singer brilliant 👏 

Gutted I missed out on a ticket.glad there playing again later in year.