IGNORED

Bristol Gigs & Festivals

RedM

7 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

June 23rd: the day after BS3 Live is scheduled... I guess if they can re-use the same stage set-up it brings some economies. But if KoL are the kind of act that want/need their own stage configuration...

It’s unlikely they will - all the other dates are arenas or things like BST so think they’ll just use the default stage that’s set up - doesn’t appear to be “production”

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

June 23rd: the day after BS3 Live is scheduled... I guess if they can re-use the same stage set-up it brings some economies. But if KoL are the kind of act that want/need their own stage configuration...

On the plus side of course, with an attendance of 572 at BS3 live the day before no concerns over the cleanup operation

• Haha 7
  • Flames 1

• The title was changed to Bristol Gigs and Festivals
1 hour ago, !james said:

now we're talking!

See I think about these things too much. But the lyrics…

”I’ve been to the year 3000

Not much has changed but they live underwater 

And your great great great granddaughter is pretty fine”

Have always bugged me. For a start, living underwater appears to be a marked change to living and they’ve just blown it off as if it’s nothing. Worse though, they appear to have a thing for really old people and they were 20 somethings. The song came out about 2000 and therefore the great great great granddaughter of the person they are addressing would represent the 5th generation down. Meaning on average she would be about 200 and therefore likely to be a dribbling mess who can’t dress herself. Far from being pretty fine, it can only be surmised they’re taking advantage of an elderly lady and they’re absolute scumbags. On that basis, I can’t support this gig.

Added to that, they’re ****ing shit. But it’s mainly the moral angle.

• Flames 2

44 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

See I think about these things too much. But the lyrics…

”I’ve been to the year 3000

Not much has changed but they live underwater 

And your great great great granddaughter is pretty fine”

Have always bugged me. For a start, living underwater appears to be a marked change to living and they’ve just blown it off as if it’s nothing. Worse though, they appear to have a thing for really old people and they were 20 somethings. The song came out about 2000 and therefore the great great great granddaughter of the person they are addressing would represent the 5th generation down. Meaning on average she would be about 200 and therefore likely to be a dribbling mess who can’t dress herself. Far from being pretty fine, it can only be surmised they’re taking advantage of an elderly lady and they’re absolute scumbags. On that basis, I can’t support this gig.

Added to that, they’re ****ing shit. But it’s mainly the moral angle.

Maybe in 3000 they were looking at a photo of the (now very deceased) great, great, great granddaughter? But it's not really worth my overthinking 🫣

Edited by Laner

12 hours ago, southside said:

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=3mbG9GlrLZQ&si=GWNpzDaAj4jDpX75

One of my favourite KOL songs, from Walls 2016

Put the headphones on, lay back and enjoy 👌

I bought Because of the Times in a shop in the Manhattan Village that looked for all the world like the one in High Fidelity. 

When I was back home, I was sat in traffic leaving our Nottingham office when I remembered that I still hadn't opened it. 

Knocked Up came on and I thought that's sounds very good, I'll listen to that again....... It was 145 miles to my home in Keynsham at the time and by the time I got back I still hadn't got to Charmer (track 2) 

For me it's up there with The Royal Scam as one of the great epics that tell a story that captures your imagination and has hooks and melodies galore. It's almost like the band themselves don't want to stop playing it, every time you think it's ending, it comes back again. 

Those drum reports in the middle of the instrumental section are incredible too, I still forget where some of them are. 

Such a daring thing to do to for a band like them known mainly for their short sharp shock tracks, to open with a 7 minute opus which I describe to people as a "Jerry Springer show set to music".

I think you can tell that I quite like it. :)

https://youtu.be/_Mzklb9nkXM?si=I1l6xlZLwLjHcgLO

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Laner said:

Maybe in 3000 they were looking at a photo of the (now very deceased) great, great, great granddaughter? But it's not really worth my overthinking 🫣

To be fair, I've studied the Bayeaux Tapestry and still crack one off at the thought of those comely serving wenches...

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I bought Because of the Times in a shop in the Manhattan Village that looked for all the world like the one in High Fidelity. 

When I was back home, I was sat in traffic leaving our Nottingham office when I remembered that I still hadn't opened it. 

Knocked Up came on and I thought that's sounds very good, I'll listen to that again....... It was 145 miles to my home in Keynsham at the time and by the time I got back I still hadn't got to Charmer (track 2) 

For me it's up there with The Royal Scam as one of the great epics that tell a story that captures your imagination and has hooks and melodies galore. It's almost like the band themselves don't want to stop playing it, every time you think it's ending, it comes back again. 

Those drum reports in the middle of the instrumental section are incredible too, I still forget where some of them are. 

Such a daring thing to do to for a band like them known mainly for their short sharp shock tracks, to open with a 7 minute opus which I describe to people as a "Jerry Springer show set to music".

One of their best songs and I’ve listened to it a million times but would never had said it was 7 mins long. Which probably shows how good it is! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

That is mighty fine 

• Like 1

First 3 albums were class , one of my fav bands at that point l, 4th one felt like such a huge sellout though 

haven’t really listened to any of the albums release since then , but the singles I have heard from them didn’t hook me back in.

have heard some of these latter albums are actually passable , but just can’t get over the 4th album trauma ha

• Like 1