IGNORED

Bristol Gigs & Festivals

RedM

One of the other things here is the sheer bloody arrogance of Bristol Sport when it was questioned that they might have got it wrong. It’s symptomatic of the organisation but they pretty much outright trolled people who questioned them. Whoever booked this shitshow and got it so wrong has probably cost the organisation money (and therefore possibly impacted finances to the football club)

All because Jon saw the Fyrefest documentary and thought it was a guidebook as opposed to a warning

Edited by Silvio Dante
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Slacker said:

Would love to see what lineup they could have got for an indie/rock gig.Would have been much more my kind of thing. Wonder what the ticket sales would have been for that?

I think the thing is you have to take your musical bias out. I’m an indie fan, and I remember on a prior discussion there were people saying they should get Weller to play the gate - love Weller, seen him several times, but he’d never sell it out.

What I think has happened here is that someone in BS likes artists like Ne-Yo and has been blinded by personal bias as opposed to research to see if it would sell.

The bottom line is that if it was a viable proposition, the established concert promoters would have looked to put it on. They didn’t, but Bristol Sport thought they knew better. 

Concert Promoters, Medical Professionals….theres a pattern here of thinking you know better than experts with no basis for doing so…

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

One of the other things here is the sheer bloody arrogance of Bristol Sport when it was questioned that they might have got it wrong. It’s symptomatic of the organisation but they pretty much outright trolled people who questioned them. Whoever booked this shitshow and got it so wrong has probably cost the organisation money (and therefore possibly impacted finances to the football club)

All because Jon saw the Fyrefest documentary and thought it was a guidebook as opposed to a warning

I thought the same at the time actually, very weird social media presence. Responding like teenagers :laugh:

IMG_0025.thumb.webp.d6574abec787ef25ac7af89902c8c6d4.webp

• Sad 1

57 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think the thing is you have to take your musical bias out. I’m an indie fan, and I remember on a prior discussion there were people saying they should get Weller to play the gate - love Weller, seen him several times, but he’d never sell it out.

What I think has happened here is that someone in BS likes artists like Ne-Yo and has been blinded by personal bias as opposed to research to see if it would sell.

The bottom line is that if it was a viable proposition, the established concert promoters would have looked to put it on. They didn’t, but Bristol Sport thought they knew better. 

Concert Promoters, Medical Professionals….theres a pattern here of thinking you know better than experts with no basis for doing so…

Exactly, and let's face it what current indie bands are big enough these days to sell out 30k at AG? Maybe you could roll out Noel or Liam and largely get there but no one 'current' really. And even if you do manage to identify those artists, why would they play at AG over something like Forwards? If you're the Chemical Brothers or LCD Soundsystem or someone that warrants the headline status, Forwards is surely the more logical option.

• Like 1

Can't help but think that the acts have been chosen because a decision maker has these particular artists as their personal favourite and expected lots of other people to like them as well.

If we were all to curate our own 2 stage, 1 day festival I'd be surprised if anyone on here all picked the same acts, but I'd wager than enough of us would pick bands/performers that would get people to think... 'Hmm, I've not heard of all of them, but the theme of the music is up my street, so I'd be up for that'.

• Like 1

• Admin
50 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Very on brand and it's not too long ago that she played to a relatively busy Pyramid Stage. Not sure it will shift that many extra though.

Let's be honest the Sunday morning slot with the local band gets a decent crowd too, people will turn up to watch anything on that stage

Is it usual for an event like this to stagger the announcements of who is playing - does anyone have any idea who is actually top of the bill? 

Or it that act still to be announced?

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Let's be honest the Sunday morning slot with the local band gets a decent crowd too, people will turn up to watch anything on that stage

Is it usual for an event like this to stagger the announcements of who is playing - does anyone have any idea who is actually top of the bill? 

Or it that act still to be announced?

Ne-Yo will be top of the bill. The fact that he’s all over the posters confirms that.

As has been said, the size of stage two makes it unlikely anyone particularly big will play that. I think all announced so far (other than potentially Spoony) are main stage.

For something like this, you tend to either sell it out on a very good headliner (which you announce early) or a top to bottom good bill. Case in point of the former is something like BST. It’s an a day thing but you sell the headliner - last year I saw Springsteen and Joel there on successive nights. People like James Bay, Darryl Hall etc were supporting but it was sold on the headliner. Thats Ne-Yo here.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Club and Country said:

Was it not rumoured on here the streets were headlining?

Doesn't fit in with the line up currently

Nah exactly, they're at Love Saves the Day in May, there may well have been some confusion over that. Can't really see them coming back a month later to headline a completely different festival with no real musical similarity.

Edited by nebristolred
  • Thanks 1

On 07/02/2024 at 13:00, Silvio Dante said:

Ne-Yo will be top of the bill. The fact that he’s all over the posters confirms that.

As has been said, the size of stage two makes it unlikely anyone particularly big will play that. I think all announced so far (other than potentially Spoony) are main stage.

For something like this, you tend to either sell it out on a very good headliner (which you announce early) or a top to bottom good bill. Case in point of the former is something like BST. It’s an a day thing but you sell the headliner - last year I saw Springsteen and Joel there on successive nights. People like James Bay, Darryl Hall etc were supporting but it was sold on the headliner. Thats Ne-Yo here.

My aunty and uncle (twins and uncles wife) done Springsteen and Billy Joel. But I done the Saturday night show. Wanted to see him as my aunts and uncle love him and wanted to cross him off as seeing him live. Blown away by his performance. 
Been to BST a few times and like the venue easy bars access etc. Really disappointed with this years headliners though. 

Jess Glynne is an interesting one, she is not an RNB artist, or a hip hop / grime act. People were saying that all the acts would fit that style of music. I have a feeling after such poor sales, they've had a rethink, and decided to go mixed styles, hence bringing in Jess Glynne. I would not be surprised to see a couple more poppy types announced. There is no doubt imo Jess Glynne is the biggest draw thus far, and they've not even used the word headliner. 

On 05/01/2024 at 14:44, Kid in the Riot said:

Badly want to see LCD Soundsystem. Amazing band.

If you're in the area 1st September I think you're going to be in luck...

(I wonder if we should have a general Bristol gigs / festivals thread..?).

Edited by nebristolred

2 hours ago, nebristolred said:

If you're in the area 1st September I think you're going to be in luck...

(I wonder if we should have a general Bristol gigs / festivals thread..?).

You had a tip off on this one for forwards?

drop me a pm if you can’t post on forum ha 

I was hoping they might appear as in London weekend before,  think they are at a Portuguese festival on forwards weekend. Maybe they could play Friday then fly back in for the Sunday? (aphex twin did similar I think)

Edited by internetjef

9 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

That would be amazing.

Will definitely be doing LSTD for The Streets too

You won't be disappointed, Mike/the Streets are arguably better live now than in their heyday.

Saw them last Sep at Pilton Party, brilliant, better than their headline set at the John Peel 2019, jeez that's longer back than I thought.

Not been to LSTD at AC yet, do you have friends in Long Ashton? I've been offered local resident tickets (up to 10 I think) for circa £30+ booking per day, or £55+ for the weekend. Also, missus is NHS so can get cheaper tickets that way too, do you know any doctors or nurses?

I know plenty of takers, but could be able to hook you up, can even ask my neighbours, just need to sort my plans first, I don't need to worry about the playoffs now 😁, but I do have a wedding evening do down in Devon on the Sunday, lots of travel, a hotel and beer money for 4-5 hours when I literally have The Streets on my doorstep for 30 notes. Also need to decide if I can be bothered with the Saturday, Rudimental are well worth a watch, but like The Streets I've seen them many times, not sure if I can bothered with the LSTD crowd, which seems to be a lot of young posers only there for their social media.

Weekend line-up is ok, but if I can walk there and get in for £30 I'll probably just have a beer locally or in the garden and go for the headline, it's still a bargain.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zombie said:

You won't be disappointed, Mike/the Streets are arguably better live now than in their heyday.

Saw them last Sep at Pilton Party, brilliant, better than their headline set at the John Peel 2019, jeez that's longer back than I thought.

Not been to LSTD at AC yet, do you have friends in Long Ashton? I've been offered local resident tickets (up to 10 I think) for circa £30+ booking per day, or £55+ for the weekend. Also, missus is NHS so can get cheaper tickets that way too, do you know any doctors or nurses?

I know plenty of takers, but could be able to hook you up, can even ask my neighbours, just need to sort my plans first, I don't need to worry about the playoffs now 😁, but I do have a wedding evening do down in Devon on the Sunday, lots of travel, a hotel and beer money for 4-5 hours when I literally have The Streets on my doorstep for 30 notes. Also need to decide if I can be bothered with the Saturday, Rudimental are well worth a watch, but like The Streets I've seen them many times, not sure if I can bothered with the LSTD crowd, which seems to be a lot of young posers only there for their social media.

Weekend line-up is ok, but if I can walk there and get in for £30 I'll probably just have a beer locally or in the garden and go for the headline, it's still a bargain.

Yeah, I'll be on a residents ticket for LSTD. Did it last year for Fatboy Slim. I actually thought the crowd was alright. Lots of young uns wearing practically nothing as it was a hot day but no hint of any aggro. Didn't rate Fatboy Slim at all though. Some of the acts we saw in the day were good though. 

• Like 1