IGNORED

New England Kit

Super

9 hours ago, Red Cloud said:

fair enough but for those of us who do, there's no way any other country would be expected to just accept this!

I'm very proud to be English and see this as yet another attempt to wipe out everything English

Like I said, can you imagine what would happen if the Palestinian Flag had its colours changed? or the Saltire going pink or the Welsh Flag ditching the Dragon

They changed the colour on the Saltire on a kit a while back, no one said a dicky bird. Do you honestly think this an 'attempt to wipe out everything English' . Does that not sound a wee bit OTT when you read it back to yourself? I don't see anything wrong with having pride about where you come from, but to hinge all that on a flag? I really, really don't get it.

Speaking specifically about Englishness, every year- I've seen once already this year- social media will carry a lot of posts about St Georges day, how everyone else celebrates theirs, but we aren't 'allowed' to, like and share etc etc.it absolutely baffles me, who is stopping anyone celebrating it, and do the Scottish and Welsh really celebrate theirs that much? I,ve been in Scotland on numerous St Andrews days and apart from a view 'St Andrews day special offers' things in shops, absolutely nothing else is going on.

I think many patriotic Englishmen have been well and truly conned and whipped into a frenzy by horribly skewed media.

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Speaking specifically about Englishness, every year- I've seen once already this year- social media will carry a lot of posts about St Georges day, how everyone else celebrates theirs, but we aren't 'allowed' to, like and share etc etc.it absolutely baffles me, who is stopping anyone celebrating it, and do the Scottish and Welsh really celebrate theirs that much? I,ve been in Scotland on numerous St Andrews days and apart from a view 'St Andrews day special offers' things in shops, absolutely nothing else is going on.

I think many patriotic Englishmen have been well and truly conned and whipped into a frenzy by horribly skewed media.

To be fair I would disagree slightly and say that I can see why people think we could and should do more for St George's Day. In the home nations it's only England and Wales that don't get a bank holiday for their national days (I think), and it would be nice to be able to do something for it.

38 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Just to clarify - This guy has posted more times in this thread than I have :laugh:.

Just to clarify... you're over everything that is remotely offensive to your tree hugging anxiety ridden community. Fair shout I'd say. Touche. 👍😂

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

To be fair I would disagree slightly and say that I can see why people think we could and should do more for St George's Day. In the home nations it's only England and Wales that don't get a bank holiday for their national days (I think), and it would be nice to be able to do something for it.

Yes, I'm all up or an extra bank holiday :) It won't be long before a political party sees that as a vote winner and puts it in their manifesto. However, then we would see one of the real problems with the way society is going. Companies would be allowed to not officially recognise it and it would be of no benefit to their staff whatsover, a common practice in nursing care which my wife works in .

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

They changed the colour on the Saltire on a kit a while back, no one said a dicky bird. Do you honestly think this an 'attempt to wipe out everything English' . Does that not sound a wee bit OTT when you read it back to yourself? I don't see anything wrong with having pride about where you come from, but to hinge all that on a flag? I really, really don't get it.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

But he wasn't mocking that was he? Certainly not how I read it.

he was and proper blokes raised two grand for that flag and more later to repair it not that this poster would remember it because he was a nipper when it was done.  Good to see it still surfing recently. 

he was and proper blokes raised two grand for that flag and more later to repair it not that this poster would remember it because he was a nipper when it was done.  Good to see it still surfing recently. 

1 hour ago, Red Cloud said:

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then

Yes, but I hope not fall out. I think what people on my side of the fence need to recognise is that a substantial amount of people in this country do have- albeit I believe unfounded- fears that they are being demonised within their own country. Politicians need to recognise that WITHOUT just shit stirring and telling some blatant porky pies.

Hopefully there is a leader out there who can unite an increasingly divided society. Sadly , I don't see one at the moment.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Three Lions said:

That is a St George bought by fans of BCFC including Scooter RIP who did a great deal of the fundraising. Not something to laugh at.

Well firstly, I'll say no disrespect towards the origins of the flag was intended, although I think you're bwrong to suggest anyone was laughing at the source of the flag.

But quite obviously as Rich says:

16 hours ago, richwwtk said:

It was @Cowshed and his 'defacing flags is illegal' that was being laughed at, not the flag

It was Cowshed posting one minute that "defacing flags is illegal" then posting his delight at a customised England flag 2 posts later that was amusing. The complete hypocrisy of "you cant touch our flags unless it's something I approve of on the flag"

16 hours ago, Three Lions said:

Read it again and that St George flag and St Georges are part of our footballing culture and traditions something you our culture warrior mate to laugh at and look down but important to many.

Read what again? Cowshed didn't say any of that?

3 posts:
1. "Defacing flags is illegal"
2. "Yes defacing a flag can be a hate crime."
3. Post saying "lovely" with a picture of a flag that has writing on it, which some may describe as defaced.

No post about culture or tradition there at the point I responded.

For what it's worth, I love seeing all the England flags especially at games and tournaments and I'll have mine in Germany in the summer. I just think people are taking a slight change to one aspect of our flag applied on a shirt way too far - even though I agree it looks a bit shit, would be better without a cross at all on the collar IMO.

As for culture warrior, you're looking at the wrong people there... 

14 hours ago, Red Cloud said:

fair enough but for those of us who do, there's no way any other country would be expected to just accept this!

I'm very proud to be English and see this as yet another attempt to wipe out everything English

Like I said, can you imagine what would happen if the Palestinian Flag had its colours changed? or the Saltire going pink or the Welsh Flag ditching the Dragon

Other countries have, including your example of Scotland. They've had a purple flag, a yellow cross and other manipulations of their flag on their shirts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SecretSam said:

It IS recent. Always used to be the union flag.

George the forty foot St George being bought twenty odd years ago also is not recent and Bristol City lads with St Georges at Italia 90 thirty odd years ago aint recent either this is a long standing tradition that is still going on with our kids carrying it on.   

Edited by Three Lions
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Hopefully there is a leader out there who can unite an increasingly divided society. Sadly , I don't see one at the moment.

Sadly the constant use of sport to engineer division between the four home "nations" hardly moves the UK towards unity does it. 

**** devolution; rule Britannia.

5 hours ago, Three Lions said:

Is it wrong to be wondering what on earth you could be meaning when you say 'proper blokes'?

Is it a badge of pride that no women were involved in the fundraising (not even ones pretending to be blokes)?

Or is there some kind of definition of bloke that only applies to people raising money to buy a flag?

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Is it wrong to be wondering what on earth you could be meaning when you say 'proper blokes'?

Is it a badge of pride that no women were involved in the fundraising (not even ones pretending to be blokes)?

Or is there some kind of definition of bloke that only applies to people raising money to buy a flag?

Well it's hardly going to be a badge of 'Pride' if woman pretending to be blokes were involved is it...Cmon keep up 🤷😉🤣👍

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Yes, I'm all up or an extra bank holiday :) It won't be long before a political party sees that as a vote winner and puts it in their manifesto. 

Funnily enough there was some bearded chap who did have it in his manifesto not that long ago, but all the sort of "proper blokes" who define themselves as patriots didn’t vote for him. 😉

2 hours ago, Three Lions said:

George the forty foot St George being bought twenty odd years ago also is not recent and Bristol City lads with St Georges at Italia 90 thirty odd years ago aint recent either this is a long standing tradition that is still going on with our kids carrying it on.   

I believe the majority of England flags in '90 were still the union flag, but if you have evidence otherwise...(this is the semi, BTW)

Watch: Fifa World Cup 1990 semi-final Rewind - West Germany v England ...

5 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

I believe the majority of England flags in '90 were still the union flag, but if you have evidence otherwise...(this is the semi, BTW)

I think Italia 90 was the start of the switch from the Union Flag to St George's. Pretty much complete by Euro 96.

Having said that I took a Union Flag to the 2002 WC

31 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Have to say, whatever my feelings about the legitimacy of the English football team, there's a damn classy Plantagenet coat of arms on display in this photo.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Enough about crosses - what about stars !

France, Germany, Italy & Spain all proudly display their world cup winning stars on their shirts but for some reason we camouflage ours so it's not really visible.  It seems like we're embarrassed by it. 

• Flames 1

On 22/03/2024 at 17:17, !james said:

I haven't had my full woke bingo card until Sixtyseconds comes on and writes an illiterate sonnet

Look I cant be on line for you every day.

I have days and weeks off.

I know I am in your head every day.

I obsess your thoughts.

Your pulse races at the thought of me or any mention.

You get hot under the collar (Woohoo ..)  for me.

But i’ve pointed this out.

My posting is not a relationship .. Its platonic

I’m a family man and one woman man.

The woman who give birth.

Get off line … Go out more … Meet people … Its for you own good.

On 22/03/2024 at 16:13, Cowshed said:

Defacing a flag is a hate crime. 

Can be.

Could be cultural appropriation.

Bad for one side unless its applied to the other side.

Gotta be sus on this one.

Considering woke virtuous credentials they wear on hearts sleeves an collars.

Anybody asked would they do it to the native Indians?  

Get all playful with their identities.

Go all Jon Lansdown on their flags and symbols.

Probs not.

There is sketch out there that these Big Corps should do what they want.

Its all ok.

How much for that and that?

Big Corps and rackets eh.

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 25/03/2024 at 13:27, MarcusX said:

Well firstly, I'll say no disrespect towards the origins of the flag was intended, although I think you're bwrong to suggest anyone was laughing at the source of the flag.

But quite obviously as Rich says:

It was Cowshed posting one minute that "defacing flags is illegal" then posting his delight at a customised England flag 2 posts later that was amusing. The complete hypocrisy of "you cant touch our flags unless it's something I approve of on the flag"

Read what again? Cowshed didn't say any of that?

3 posts:
1. "Defacing flags is illegal"
2. "Yes defacing a flag can be a hate crime."
3. Post saying "lovely" with a picture of a flag that has writing on it, which some may describe as defaced.

No post about culture or tradition there at the point I responded.

I posted that defacing a flag can be a hate crime. I also posted this? You ignored the this?

Could this, an American sportswear brand rebranding of our the St George be perceived as insensitive? The action has been unpopular. A reaction that should have been predicted.  

Yes I posted pictures of England and Bristol City fans St George flags because they are significant. The St George is clearly a significant part of fan culture and traditions. They are part of BCFC fan culture.

You then posted a laughing emoji regarding the St George that required a lot of effort from City fans to purchase. I with my family and a friends took a small part in that fundraising. Here's that picture again of that flag/surfer twenty years on at recent game. I do think its cool. 

3_Bristol-City-v-Cardiff-City-EFL-Sky-Bet-Championship-Football-Ashton-Gate-Bristol-UK-02-Mar-2.jpg

On 25/03/2024 at 05:57, sticks 1969 said:

Malmo 92?

Of course it is you stupid bugger. You were metres away from me in the ground.

• Admin
On 25/03/2024 at 19:45, Reigate Red said:

Enough about crosses - what about stars !

France, Germany, Italy & Spain all proudly display their world cup winning stars on their shirts but for some reason we camouflage ours so it's not really visible.  It seems like we're embarrassed by it. 

Maybe we're embarrassed it's only 1?