IGNORED

New England Kit

Super

44 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Only by some of the loonies!!

@LSNagain posted earlier in the thread that they didn’t like, straight away replies were “what’s your issue with it”? and “#triggered”. Seems clear to me those were posted to work an angle into putting a label on the original poster. 

Fair enough, although I think some posters fixated on the colour of the cross on the back and suggested it was disrespectful or (in one case) illegal. :laugh:

I haven't bought a replica kit for years as I don't think they do much for the more mature figure. 

2 hours ago, MarcusX said:

I wasn’t too fussed about this originally, and tbh still don’t care about the flag on the shirt, but the fallout is fascinating and the hypocrisy truly bizarre.

As exemplified by N Farage demanding Nike change the cross back to its original colours.

Just a quick reminder of the flag Ukip used when he was leader...

image.jpeg.1eea2e2edf719ecb710835129b91a8cf.jpeg

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Myth busters: the first story about the flag is not supported by any historical evidence but seems to have arisen in the 20th Century.

Just call me Mr Snopes.Com

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Myth busters: the first story about the flag is not supported by any historical evidence but seems to have arisen in the 20th Century.

Just call me Mr Snopes.Com

Whatever.

But the truly important item is the guide to safe sex with a flag, surely.

• Haha 2

On 22/03/2024 at 17:13, phantom said:

No relevance to this debate 

Actually it is. The whole foundation of this argument is centred on the 'we want our country back brigade' and backed by the tabloids, as shown by the lack of caring for past examples of changes to the flag (ukip should be the most considered). If everyone in the country - including the royal family, prime minister and patron saint of the country have roots outside the uk it does undermine how 'english' those you know doubt idealise are, and how 'english' every aspect of the countries history is. So why feel obligated to put so much energy into defending this history for the sake of 'wanting your country back'? stop crying, you snowflakes  there are more important things to address.

Edited by RedNachos
  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 2

12 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I don't think even those two pillocks care about how this minor feature on a football shirt looks. They made a fuss about it because they - and some of their short-sighted disciples - assumed the colours were chosen as some sort of homage to LGBTQ+ people.

They now look stupid as it's been made clear why those particular colours were chosen, but it's embedded in the mindset of the kneejerk culture war frothers that they have to double down on everything and can never admit they've made a mistake - even when they obviously have. 

The original design was for it to be in the pride colours but the Fa vetoed that. 

And rather than it being replaced with the proper flag they've come up with this which I just can't understand. 

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

The original design was for it to be in the pride colours but the Fa vetoed that. 

And rather than it being replaced with the proper flag they've come up with this which I just can't understand. 

Having worked on a contract for a very large company involved in sportswear design, I know that design teams are always looking at ways to spin things and using the cuff colours used in '66 on this rather tucked away - can't say I ever noticed it during games - flag design is just the sort if thing they love coming up with and they justify their fees through such tinkering.

I'm as traditionalist as the next man, but when you realise that having a small flag on the collar only began in 2002, I can't get worked up about this. Let's face it there wasn't a flag on the England kit in '66 nor in various other classic tournaments.  It's a modern imposition, so I don't care about it.

Now, if they'd have ****** about with the Three Lions ...

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

8 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Having worked on a contract for a very large company involved in sportswear design, I know that design teams are always looking at ways to spin things and using the cuff colours used in '66 on this rather tucked away - can't say I ever noticed it during games - flag design is just the sort if thing they love coming up with and they justify their fees through such tinkering.

I'm as traditionalist as the next man, but when you realise that having a small flag on the collar only began in 2002, I can't get worked up about this. Let's face it there wasn't a flag on the England kit in '66 nor in various other classic tournaments.  It's a modern imposition, so I don't care about it.

Now, if they'd have ****** about with the Three Lions ...

And yet, guess what… they have, and no one has said a word.

The badge background was blue on last years Red shirt. This year on the away shirt they’ve changed the colours to purple and no one has said a thing.

Anyway, saw loads of the new shirts around yesterday and both the England store and the Nike store were packed with huge queues, don’t think it’s been as unpopular as many would like to think.

• Facepalm 1

11 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Where have you seen this?

The only thing I can find is a paywalled telegraph article, that when you read it was about making the home kit more multi-coloured (presumably like the away kit down the sides) not “using pride colours” and doesn’t mention the cross.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Let's face it there wasn't a flag on the England kit in '66 

This has taken the shine right off '66 for me. Watched the game again last night, think the Russian linesman got it wrong, the ball didn't cross the line.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Anyway, saw loads of the new shirts around yesterday and both the England store and the Nike store were packed with huge queues, don’t think it’s been as unpopular as many would like to think.

Nike have even brought out a special edition for the likes of Lewis and others worried that the flag has gone gay due to wokeness,,,

May be an image of 1 person and text

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Where have you seen this?

The only thing I can find is a paywalled telegraph article, that when you read it was about making the home kit more multi-coloured (presumably like the away kit down the sides) not “using pride colours” and doesn’t mention the cross.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2024/03/22/england-shirt-flag-st-georges-cross-nike-two-years-ago/

Just now, ExiledAjax said:

"David Seaman asked: “What’s next? Are they going to change the Three Lions to three cats?”"

😂😂😂

Seaman will be livid when he finds out Lions are actually cats.

This whole thing is hilariously tinpot.

On Radio 4, Shilton referred to "the red, white and blue of the England flag"  :facepalm:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Yes, have you? 

Yes, obviously as I’ve explain above in the comment you replied to.

The word “pride” isn’t mentioned once in that article, what I assume you’ve done is read the word rainbow and made a connection.

For the benefit of those who can’t view behind the paywall this is the quote:

“It seems astonishing that the FA would not examine the shirt closely enough but, amid claim and counterclaim from sources close to those in charge, there were allegations the US firm wanted to make the home kit even more multi-coloured and closer to displaying a “rainbow” effect.”

It goes on to say:

“Another source with knowledge of the design process for the kit confirmed an addition of another colour had been discussed but disputed that would have constituted a “rainbow” effect, stressing part of the design brief had been incorporating hues harking back to England’s 1966 World Cup triumph.”

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Nike have even brought out a special edition for the likes of Lewis and others worried that the flag has gone gay due to wokeness,,,

May be an image of 1 person and text 

I will stick to my 1988 & 1990 vintage shirts - when there was some testosterone about, but thanks. 

But it was nice of you to model it for us Robbo. 

• Haha 1