IGNORED

New England Kit

Super

33 minutes ago, 8 men had a dream said:

Yes I totally agree.

We are about to play 2 excellent friendlies, have a really promising tournament on the horizon and yet there is an issue that has divided England's supporters.

Reminds me about the Euros 2020(21) when the divisive issue was taking the knee - rather than everyone uniting around the England team.

It's such a shame things become so divisive these days.

It's the lead on the Daily Mail!! Surely there are more important things happening in the world.

Division results in engagement results in profits.

Yep. Bottom line all about profits.

Trash a Country’s flag, offend, inevitable reaction, produce new shirt with the national flag, sell more. We’ve seen this sort of marketing before. 

Capitalism at its very worst. Well, apart from our foreign-owned Water Companies and, erm, virtually everything else.

The issue is more than ‘just a flag’. The fundamental here is out of control capitalism where nothing is sacrosanct in pursuit of ££££. So looking at the issue a bit deeper, a bit of an ‘own goal’ for the Mail?

Edited by RedRock

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Forget the whole flag outrage. 

That purple kit is the most beautiful England football kit I think I’ve ever seen.  Part of me wants to buy one. Then I remember the price and the fact that I’m 43. But it very nearly had me. 

43 is still young, you don't realise it at this moment in time but looking back at pictures of yourself when you're my age you will realise it.

• Like 2

If they change it, these original ones will be worth a few quid in years to come.

Like the old Sex Pistols picture sleeves for God Save the Queen on A&M and The Great Rock n Roll Swindle with an AMEX card on the cover.

7 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Surely you understand its not about the actual flag but what a nations flag signifies? That’s what people are proud of. 

Ok, so what does a nation flag signify?

Each to their own, I support our sports teams but i don't really get the whole issue of national pride.  We had no choice, we just happened to be born here. We could have been born anywhere & we'd have felt the same about there as here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, TDarwall said:

Each to their own, I support our sports teams but i don't really get the whole issue of national pride.  We had no choice, we just happened to be born here. We could have been born anywhere & we'd have felt the same about there as here.

I think you’re in the minority TD. 

I’m proud to be an Englishman, our history, our beautiful countryside and architecture and we’re the envy of many Americans and antipodeans.

Whats not to like?

Btw - I’m not including politics in that.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

It's guess it's down to the individual what they are proud about of England. 

So you only support the teams because you was born here?

So I can't be proud of Bristol City because I was born here? 

Shall we not be proud of our children? Simply because it was them that was born and it could have been another child that was born instead? 

See how silly that sounds? 

There is nothing wrong with being proud of anything. I'm astonished we're even having this conversation. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

I think you’re in the minority TD. 

I’m proud to be an Englishman, our history, our beautiful countryside and architecture and we’re the envy of many Americans and antipodeans.

Whats not to like?

Btw - I’m not including politics in that.

Sewage in our seas and rivers.

Gross wealth inequality and high levels of child poverty.

The unaffordability of housing for young people.

Grotesque profits for utility companies while bills increase.

An outdated democratic system.

Unelected Lords influencing our law making and governance selected by whoever the Prime Minister chooses.

A third world transport system in the world’s 6th biggest economy.

Underfunded and inadequate public services in the world‘s 6th biggest economy.

The weather.

Just off the top of my head.

• Like 3
  • Flames 5

• Admin
9 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

BBC: Sunak says 'don't mess' with flag

Also from the Conservatives:

Conservatives-logo.jpg

The colours haven't been changed 🤦

Remarkably for our Government they actually agree on something 

Just saw that the England shirt is in the shops at £120 - not that I’d ever consider buying one as I still have the England shirt from 1996.

Unfortunately it must have shrunk in the wash as I can’t get into it anymore………:dunno:

• Haha 1

• Admin
Just now, ChippenhamRed said:

Unelected Lords influencing our law making and governance selected by whoever the Prime Minister chooses.

The weather.

You missed his next line that referenced not including politics

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

The weather.

So which country are you emigrating to?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, phantom said:

The colours haven't been changed 🤦

Remarkably for our Government they actually agree on something 

OK just to be clear on this it’s only the colours that matter, yes? Not the form? So if they’d kept the flag red but made the lines curved instead of straight that would have been OK yeah?

Just need to check the rules on what we’re supposed to be offended by.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

You can still love the country and your family/friends in it, while also realising that operationally it's a pile of shit and lightyears behind other comparable countries.

To be fair though, this has nothing to do with the fact that we're tweaked a flag to fit in more with the design of the kit. Crazy, crazy reaction.

Edited by nebristolred
  • Like 5
  • Flames 2

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

You missed his next line that referenced not including politics

Sorry, didn’t realise that waiting three hours for a train to get to a beach with shit on it isn’t allowed to influence our sense of national pride.

I really can’t keep up with the rules.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Thanks for asking, we have considered New Zealand. A better quality of life by pretty much every metric.

However, we have family that tie us to this country for the time being, and don’t wish to disrupt our children’s education.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

The England shirt with new flag design on the collar

Considering that people have commented that the away kit looks blue in some light and purple in others was it supposed to be related to that? Whether it is or not the price is too much.

It’s absolutely that, it’s an artistic choice to align with the colour palettes used on the kits. Nothing to do with “inclusion” or anything like that, which isn’t represented by that limited colour range anyway.

But that doesn’t fit with people’s weird need to be offended by even the most minor of things.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

It's guess it's down to the individual what they are proud about of England. 

So you only support the teams because you was born here?

So I can't be proud of Bristol City because I was born here? 

Shall we not be proud of our children? Simply because it was them that was born and it could have been another child that was born instead? 

See how silly that sounds? 

There is nothing wrong with being proud of anything. I'm astonished we're even having this conversation. 

Absolutely agree it's down to the individual. I'm immensely proud of my children, I would expect all parents to feel the same.

If I'm proud of the great things this country has done, should I also be ashamed of its atrocities? Or is it pick n mix & I just consider the bits I like?

Here's a fun thing, when people say they're proud to be British, you often find out they don't like Scots or the Welsh. So they're proud to be English  but they don't like Scousers, Manc's or Brummies. So then they're proud of Bristol but (quite rightly) not the Rovers bits.

• Like 2

Irony being St George was a 3rd Century Turk who is unlikely to have ever visited the UK.

His 'cross' was only added to the Royal Standard in 1348 and only became incorporated into the flag of Britain in the early 17th century.

It's only very recently that it's been viewed in such a patriotic way outside of military use

Edited by JBFC II
  • Like 7