IGNORED

New England Kit

Super

11 hours ago, TDarwall said:

Ok, so what does a nation flag signify?

Each to their own, I support our sports teams but i don't really get the whole issue of national pride.  We had no choice, we just happened to be born here. We could have been born anywhere & we'd have felt the same about there as here.

Yep, agree with this 100%. Surely a sense of pride comes from actions or achievements.

I'm not even that proud to be human tbh, let alone English.

• Like 3

All this outrage, all a bit Johnny come lately. Personally I've been outraged since the peter saville flag mockery shirt of 2010

Even worse was this keeper beauty from 2014. Not a correct England flag in site

All i have to say is; "where were you when we were s**t? Didn't care about the flag colour then did you, eh eh eh?

Glory hogging flag merchants.

Screenshot_2024-03-22-19-57-48-40_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.thumb.jpg.1ec08791737aca9ba6bf225584e82ada.jpg

Edited by The turtle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Stortz said:

My son's away kit arrived today, and the detail in question is actually inside the back collar- you can't even see it when it's being worn.

I'm not sure anything could be more emblematic of the entire sorry furore than that tbh.

That's the away kit, this whole discussion is about the home kit where the "flag" is visible on the back of the collar when worn.

This whole debate has completely baffled me and the reaction to the ‘flag’ has been as predictable as it has been depressing. In the modern, ridiculously binary world we live in, it seems so obvious to me that you’re going to get a section of society foaming at the mouth with fury about something like this. And then you’re going to get politicians wading in about how disgraceful it all is in a calculated way so they appeal to the angry audience. Maybe that’s what Nike wanted. But as others have said, there really are far, far more important things to worry about than a tiny emblem on the back of a football shirt.

I have honestly never been less bothered by anything in my entire life. 

Edited by Jacki
Typo

12 hours ago, Lewisdabaron said:

Just a slight co-incidence its the flag in same style of the bisexual flag? Not that i care what that stands for, we just shouldnt be messing with traditional st george cross. Simple. 

Let’s be honest this is it isn’t it? This is the real reason for some people being upset - just have to see Joey Barton’s tweet (the one in which he put them side by side and actually proved it’s not the same at all).

Some have jumped to a conclusion about its meaning and got up in arms, had a mate straight away trying to talk about having enough of virtue signalling 🤦‍♂️

The proof that it’s just an artistic play on colours is literally in the away kit where they’ve done the same thing (albeit inside the shirt) with the away colours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Jacki said:

This whole debate has completely baffled me and the reaction to the ‘flag’ has been as predictable as it has been depressing. In the modern, ridiculously binary world we live in, it seems so obvious to me that you’re going to get a section of society foaming at the mouth with fury about something like this. And then you’re going to get politicians wading in about how disgraceful it all is in a calculated way so they appeal to the angry audience. Maybe that’s what Nike wanted. But as others have said, there really are far, far more important things to worry about than a tiny emblem on the back of a football shirt.

I have honestly never been less bothered by anything in my entire life. 

FFS don't say "binary", you'll start that all off again!!!!

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Let’s be honest this is it isn’t it? This is the real reason for some people being upset - just have to see Joey Barton’s tweet (the one in which he put them side by side and actually proved it’s not the same at all).

Some have jumped to a conclusion about its meaning and got up in arms, had a mate straight away trying to talk about having enough of virtue signalling 🤦‍♂️

The proof that it’s just an artistic play on colours is literally in the away kit where they’ve done the same thing (albeit inside the shirt) with the away colours.

The irony being a lot of people see it as an opportunity to virtue signal about how patriotic they are….

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Farage and Barton haven’t told people to be offended about other defaced flags yet so people are maybe waiting for that first 

I don't think even those two pillocks care about how this minor feature on a football shirt looks. They made a fuss about it because they - and some of their short-sighted disciples - assumed the colours were chosen as some sort of homage to LGBTQ+ people.

They now look stupid as it's been made clear why those particular colours were chosen, but it's embedded in the mindset of the kneejerk culture war frothers that they have to double down on everything and can never admit they've made a mistake - even when they obviously have. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I don't think even those two pillocks care about how this minor feature on a football shirt looks. They made a fuss about it because they - and some of their short-sighted disciples - assumed the colours were chosen as some sort of homage to LGBTQ+ people.

They now look stupid as it's been made clear why those particular colours were chosen, but it's embedded in the mindset of the kneejerk culture war frothers that they have to double down on everything and can never admit they've made a mistake - even when they obviously have. 

They say they are angry it happened when in fact they are glad as it’s a chance for them to be fake angry again 

5 minutes ago, Gert Mare said:

Just out of interest, who would buy a City home club shirt if the club decided it was going to be ‘Blue and White Quarters’ for a change?

Whataboutery again. The flag hasn’t been changed to the Welsh flag so this comparison is stupid 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

They say they are angry it happened when in fact they are glad as it’s a chance for them to be fake angry again 

Whataboutery again. The flag hasn’t been changed to the Welsh flag so this comparison is stupid 

It’s not a stupid question. 

I am not triggered at all by it to be quite frank, but I do understand why some might be unhappy about it and it’s no different to the arguments about changing the Bristol City club badge and the ‘Splat Robin’.

The whole fabric of football is based on a sense of identity and belonging, otherwise why bother supporting anyone? Why bother with football full stop? Why not cheer the opposition when they score?

Whilst personally I don’t think there is any intention other than a bit of funky design I get why some might not like it. It certainly doesn’t mean that they must be therefore ‘far right extremists’. It’s simply personal preference.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Midred said:

Would Nike have considered playing with the beloved stars and stripes? That would make for an interesting debate in this election year!

The US kit doesn't feature the flag as such - and in fact most international kits don't - but they did wear this badge at the World Cup, which caused a minor meltdown from the usual suspects.

U.S. Men's Soccer Team to Feature Rainbow Crest for Parts of Qatar World  Cup - WSJ

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

20 minutes ago, Lewisdabaron said:

Looks like theres a few who walk among us on here that sadly would. 

I don’t think they would. I think they would be as outraged as those who are as outraged about this particular issue. It’s simply a different threshold of tolerance.

2 minutes ago, Gert Mare said:

It’s not a stupid question. 

I am not triggered at all by it to be quite frank, but I do understand why some might be unhappy about it and it’s no different to the arguments about changing the Bristol City club badge and the ‘Splat Robin’.

The whole fabric of football is based on a sense of identity and belonging, otherwise why bother supporting anyone? Why bother with football full stop? Why not cheer the opposition when they score?

Whilst personally I don’t think there is any intention other than a bit of funky design I get why some might not like it. It certainly doesn’t mean that they must be therefore ‘far right extremists’. It’s simply personal preference.

That’s the trouble these days, you can’t just not like something because you don’t like it. Far too many people make a leap, “why don’t you like it “?  It must be because you’re racist, homophobic, anti this or anti that. 

When the simple truth is, not everyone likes the same things. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Yes, but let's remember why this became a topic of conversation in the first place. It was condemned not as a bit of graphic art but for being "woke". And you can like or dislike the kit - I'm personally not keen on anything with Nike ticks so prominent - but it manifestly isn't "woke". Unless people consider the 1966 England training camp as "woke". 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, glynriley said:

That’s the trouble these days, you can’t just not like something because you don’t like it. Far too many people make a leap, “why don’t you like it “?  It must be because you’re racist, homophobic, anti this or anti that. 

Very true Glyn. I don’t like it that much, but for no particular reason. I don’t have a problem with the cross. I don’t understand the fuss. 

If you don’t like it, you don’t have to buy it. You can then save the £130, or however much it is. It think the price is more offensive than the cross.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Yes, but let's remember why this became a topic of conversation in the first place. It was condemned not as a bit of graphic art but for being "woke". And you can like or dislike the kit - I'm personally not keen on anything with Nike ticks so prominent - but it manifestly isn't "woke". Unless people consider the 1966 England training camp as "woke". 

Only by some of the loonies!!

@LSNagain posted earlier in the thread that they didn’t like, straight away replies were “what’s your issue with it”? and “#triggered”. Seems clear to me those were posted to work an angle into putting a label on the original poster. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, glynriley said:

Only by some of the loonies!!

@LSNagain posted earlier in the thread that they didn’t like, straight away replies were “what’s your issue with it”? and “#triggered”. Seems clear to me those were posted to work an angle into putting a label on the original poster. 

The real stupidity is in the arguments themselves.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and thoughts and no amount of arguing from an alternative viewpoint will ever change that.

Media has created this nonsense and arguing about it on a Football Forum of all places makes me chuckle.

Football supporters are probably the Number 1 target for the Media to cause division in society. They love triggering the ‘passion’.

As football fans we are all skinhead, far right, racist, drunken hooligans intent on causing needless violence by default in the eyes of the Media.

Those shit houses have tried to pay drunken England fans to start fighting at International tournaments, so they can film and report on it to push their narrative.

Just chill 😎 

9 minutes ago, Gert Mare said:

As football fans we are all skinhead, far right, racist, drunken hooligans intent on causing needless violence by default in the eyes of the Media.

Hmm. I don’t have as much hair as I used to, but I don’t quite fit the “skinhead” label. I like a few drinks though. That must make me a far right, drunken hooligan. Good to know!

1 hour ago, Gert Mare said:

Just out of interest, who would buy a City home club shirt if the club decided it was going to be ‘Blue and White Quarters’ for a change?

That isn’t the same situation at all. It’s more akin to the occasions we’ve colour matched our badge to the kit - eg the purple shirt a few seasons back I think

Still waiting for someone to answer why “defacing” a flag (actually just change the colours in a shape of a cross similar to the flag) is so terrible - but literally every club in the land defacing flags with all sorts of shit, often even changing the colours is absolutely fine?

Even @Cowshedwading in talking about defacing flags, then shared a defaced flag celebrating it 🤣

I wasn’t too fussed about this originally, and tbh still don’t care about the flag on the shirt, but the fallout is fascinating and the hypocrisy truly bizarre.

Some even trying to claim now that Harvey Elliot, who likes to wear his collar up when there is one, was doing so to hide the cross 🤣

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1