IGNORED

Mbude

49 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Quick question ...

You do know you can look at the Club , the owners , the Staff and players as separate entities don't you ?

You can love the Club and really dislike and criticise any of the others , you really can.

You can, good for you.

21 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Ridiculed by whom?…..we’re all City fans - like an unrelated family in some ways. 

As for Nige - the reason for his sacking has been done to death because the ‘reasoning’ dished out by the hierarchy at AG was about as close to lily livered as anyone can get.

We all have our suspicions and although I can’t speak for everyone the overall consensus seems to be that Nige was too outspoken and pissed off the higher ups.

He’s gone and most of the fanbase are trying to get behind Manning.

I always had the impression he was like dealing with a Volcano that could erupt at any moment.

Things are more relaxed and convivial now whilst still having that drive.

'Trying' to get behind Manning sums my thoughts up, should be not be just 'trying' really, he has proved his worth, get behind the City 🇰🇵

1 hour ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Like I said a bit of crazy unwarranted (perhaps) support for the club might be the missing piece in the puzzle but that is not a realistic Bristol trait really.

How can you say this and then a couple of posts later bring up teams like Man U and Leeds as examples of things we're missing? Unbelievable. Man U fans hate their club with a burning passion, and Leeds and absolutely militant and unaccepting of anything even slightly substandard.

Ridiculous. At least get what you think straight.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

I always had the impression he was like dealing with a Volcano that could erupt at any moment.

Things are more relaxed and convivial now whilst still having that drive.

'Trying' to get behind Manning sums my thoughts up, should be not be just 'trying' really, he has proved his worth, get behind the City 🇰🇵

He really hasn’t proved anything! 

As Robbored said most are trying to get behind him.

Mr Manning has got so much better with interviews in the past a few weeks which has coincided with an unbeaten run. I don’t see those things as completely unrelated issues. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Give it a rest a lot of water under that bridge, Tinnion must be front and centre in everyone's thoughts on here to continually slag off. God how I dislike internet bullies, IF he was in the same room as him you would be fawning all over Tinman wouldn't you?

There was the 3 Lions debacle when it was then to voice any points to the ensemble and not even a titter, the keyboards are so much safer eh?

I'd love to be in the same room as him. 

I can assure you that I wouldn't be 'fawning all over him'.

Quite the opposite.

• Flames 2

8 hours ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Sick of all the snidey posts tbh, just like a bunch of old 'wimmin' sticking in the boot when patently there is no justification at all, it says OTIB on the tin and yet some /most seem to delight in undermining this club and what it is obviously striding for. Is it a Bristol malaise that has to constantly attack individuals? The very people who have the best interests for Bristol City, I know football fans are fickle by nature but this forum currently is demonstrating a dislike for the club and most certainly the people who are employed by the club.

Dare anyone actually call out these posts they are quickly dealt with by a follow up of :laugh:'s or face palms....or even memes demonstrating to me they have lost the argument and resort to basic trolling.

This forum must be food and drink to the other lot, FFS show a bit of support.

Christ. 

The irony.

8 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

But the issue is that you don’t debate. You’ve brought up a few times “The Truth” and when asked to expand have said “It’s something you deny” as opposed to giving any kind of coherent argument. You get the memes and facepalms not because others have lost - but because you can’t, or won’t, give coherent points.

In respect of being sick of snidey posts, I’d argue you’re equally as guilty - across multiple threads in the last 48 hours you’ve referred to “Nige Groupies” and brought him up unprompted on at least one thread. You’ve then just gone on a bizarre rant at @GrahamC when a valid point has been made about the providence of signing Medube (where Tinnion was very vocal on Twitter as to how good the signing was, so the player not playing is very relevant criticism).

Supporting a team isn’t assuming Brian Tinnion is infallible- in fact, evidence in senior roles is very much the contrary.

I’d argue that supporting a team is very much not just blindly shouting how awesome everything is - in fact, we often mock the other lot because of their lack of ability to critique, so it’s actually the opposite of your final sentence. You blindly not questioning and “FFS showing a bit of support” is actually the meat and drink to other fans.

If you want to avoid the facepalms, debate. Or keep shouting at clouds and think something’s happening that isn’t.

And for everyone else I apologise if this makes the Medube thread “hot” - we’re not signing him (we hope!)

(Aside on DM - I saw a theory earlier that we weren’t playing him so we didn’t alert teams to him. Utter nonsense. We’ve agreed a fee. If we want him he’s our player. He’s not playing because he was pony when he did play and because the coaching staff have seen him for 3 months and concluded he’s not good enough).

👏👏👏👏

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cotswoldred2 said:

FFS show a bit of support.

The major flaw in your post is that you fail to recognise that people post about their concerns of how the club is run and that by its very nature is supporting the club, as people want the best for the club. 

Is Gary Neville not a proper Man Utd fan cos he constantly criticises how the club is run? 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

The major flaw in your post is that you fail to recognise that people post about their concerns of how the club is run and that by its very nature is supporting the club, as people want the best for the club. 

Is Gary Neville not a proper Man Utd fan cos he constantly criticises how the club is run? 

Noticed you've found your log in details..

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, The Humble Realist said:

How has a player who has played less than 90 minutes for us got a 9 page post 🤣

Because essentially the thread isn’t about him specifically but more around the due diligence process followed in the signing, whether we’re damaging his career, the possible reasons he’s got a season ticket for the bench but doesn’t touch the pitch and then a bizarre detour into a poster feeling a touch precious about facepalms.

If it was 9 pages on the performance against QPR I agree it would be very bizarre!

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, cotswoldred2 said:

It seems on here being a loyal City fan is very much ridiculed. 

I would consider myself a loyal City fan, but that doesn't mean I'm not critical of certain aspects of the club's management and leadership, and of some of the decisions made by said management and leadership.

Loyalty should not blind you to reality. Not questioning decisions is not loyalty; it's blind obedience.

• Like 4
  • Flames 3

7 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

I would consider myself a loyal City fan, but that doesn't mean I'm not critical of certain aspects of the club's management and leadership, and of some of the decisions made by said management and leadership.

Loyalty should not blind you to reality. Not questioning decisions is not loyalty; it's blind obedience.

It really isn’t that difficult a concept is it? 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

5 hours ago, The Humble Realist said:

How has a player who has played less than 90 minutes for us got a 9 page post 🤣

How did Harry Cornick get a song from the get-go and has 4 goals total if you include the Forest shootout?

Manning looked like he couldn’t be less interested in him when asked in the presser. 

“has looked decent in training this week, tbf”

basically = “he’s been ******* crap usually” !!

Edited by petehinton

I really don't understand all the conversations re Mebude. He has come in as a loan player with an option to buy. Likely because we thought he would strengthen us where needed but needed to show us he could before spending money on him. We've clearly taken a look and not interested for whatever reason. Seems sensible to me considering we've not bought him. The rest of our recruitment has been pretty bang on this season.

16 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

I really don't understand all the conversations re Mebude. He has come in as a loan player with an option to buy. Likely because we thought he would strengthen us where needed but needed to show us he could before spending money on him. We've clearly taken a look and not interested for whatever reason. Seems sensible to me considering we've not bought him. The rest of our recruitment has been pretty bang on this season.

It’s been done to death but the main problem was in how the deal was presented. Tinnion was very bullish over him, and DM was given the whole big signing video. It was positioned as one for the first team that we’d been scouting for a while and a bit of a coup. Had it been positioned as coming over (effectively) for a trial then it’d have been viewed a lot differently.

The club then made things a lot worse by bullshitting over his work permit situation in Belgium - both Liam and Brian very guilty of that.

The bottom line is we’re not signing him (or we certainly shouldn’t) and the way the deal was presented through to how he’s been plonked on the bench with no chance of getting on (assumedly due to a “matchday clause” in the deal) has been bizarre from start to finish.

If anything, it’s a lesson to the club in communication.

As for recruitment I broadly agree if we’re going back to start of season. However, and having liked the Jan window to start with, the three signings who arrived here then can’t be classed as anything but poor on aggregate (Bird and Stokes I maintain good business to get done early but clearly can’t comment on their ability)

Medube - A load of bullshit about work permits, an abysmal 30 minutes, no sign of touching the pitch

Murphy - Seems to have a chronic injury, probably pointing to why we passed in the summer

Twine - Largely indifferent

With the benefit of hindsight it looks pretty poor. The get out here is that we can send two of them back and one is likely to have not been expensive and we can claim on insurance if he’s totally unable to play (hopefully!)

• Like 3
  • Flames 2
  • Facepalm 1

35 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

It’s been done to death but the main problem was in how the deal was presented. Tinnion was very bullish over him, and DM was given the whole big signing video. It was positioned as one for the first team that we’d been scouting for a while and a bit of a coup. Had it been positioned as coming over (effectively) for a trial then it’d have been viewed a lot differently.

The club then made things a lot worse by bullshitting over his work permit situation in Belgium - both Liam and Brian very guilty of that.

The bottom line is we’re not signing him (or we certainly shouldn’t) and the way the deal was presented through to how he’s been plonked on the bench with no chance of getting on (assumedly due to a “matchday clause” in the deal) has been bizarre from start to finish.

If anything, it’s a lesson to the club in communication.

As for recruitment I broadly agree if we’re going back to start of season. However, and having liked the Jan window to start with, the three signings who arrived here then can’t be classed as anything but poor on aggregate (Bird and Stokes I maintain good business to get done early but clearly can’t comment on their ability)

Medube - A load of bullshit about work permits, an abysmal 30 minutes, no sign of touching the pitch

Murphy - Seems to have a chronic injury, probably pointing to why we passed in the summer

Twine - Largely indifferent

With the benefit of hindsight it looks pretty poor. The get out here is that we can send two of them back and one is likely to have not been expensive and we can claim on insurance if he’s totally unable to play (hopefully!)

What were they supposed to say when bringing him in? We are bringing in an average player to see if he's any good. It's likely because ultimately he arrived Tins and his staff were bullish about him because they thought he was good. It hasn't worked we'll send him back.

You can't selectively look at recruitment. It has to be looked at as a whole. I think we've brought in better players in areas we were lacking (not all areas) whilst keeping fees low. Those players are all fairly young too and will improve. Asides from Dickie who's been a revelation and is only coming into his prime. This has been one of our best value transfer windows since Cotts I would argue.

Edited by RedRoss
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

What were they supposed to say when bringing him in? We are bringing in an average player to see if he's any good. It's likely because ultimately he arrived Tins and his staff were bullish about him because they thought he was good. It hasn't worked we'll send him back.

You can't selectively look at recruitment. It has to be looked at as a whole. I think we've brought in better players in areas we were lacking (not all areas) whilst keeping fees low. Those players are all fairly young too and will improve. Asides from Dickie who's been a revelation and is only coming into his prime. This has been one of our best value transfer windows since Cotts I would argue.

To be fair, you’re using windows as a plural - and I agreed if you go back to the summer the recruitment was good. There was a thread a few weeks ago on hits/misses/jury out and at that point for me the jury was out on McCrorie, Roberts and to an extent TGH. Jury in on the second of those now, and I agree, a good summer window.

But if you take window in the singular as in January then it can’t be viewed as good at present. A lot will depend on how good Bird and Stokes are but for various reasons the three arrivals haven’t worked out. I’m not sure that’s in any way a controversial take.

As in what they’re supposed to say, there would have been absolutely nothing wrong in saying “It hasn’t worked out for him in Belgium but we’re going to take a look”. They chose to fabricate a story about work permits. And to be clear, lying in football happens (it happened yesterday re saying we haven’t had discussions re OOC, it happens when we say someone isn’t fit). This wasn’t one of those. It was a totally fabricated story to cover they got it wrong, and it was easily disproven. The lying then continued with Murphy’s mystical pre season.

As we stand, the January window worked out poorly. It happens. But head in the sand over it and accepting whatever bullshit people say is never a good move.

1 hour ago, RedRoss said:

Isn’t that the lesson though?  They went overboard in their comments when signing a young player.

How many of us would’ve minded had they said, “we think he’s a talented boy, but he’s struggled over in Belgium for x reasons, so we are taking a look at him.  If he does well, we’ve agreed a deal with Westerlo, because we want to protect ourselves”.  That type of thing.

But we got a load of spin, and in some cases lies. Spin is ok, lies is unacceptable imho.

It hasn’t worked out, but it’s also cost us a few quid to find out.  I’m generally ok with that, because I doubt it cost us too much (few quid in last sentence).  There is another intangible cost, re it’s possibly cost an academy player some experience of the match day set up.

And it’s possible to view a window / multiple windows overall yet still critique an individual signing.  You’re making out because it’s been generally decent (agree, I’ve been a big advocate of recruitment improvement over 2.5 years) we mustn’t call out individual deals.  And nobody expects it to be 💯 successful every deal, but just like we can say how good a signing Dickie was, why shouldn’t we say how bad a signing Mebude was.  OTIB has been fine being critical of individual signings in the past.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Isn’t that the lesson though?  They went overboard in their comments when signing a young player.

How many of us would’ve minded had they said, “we think he’s a talented boy, but he’s struggled over in Belgium for x reasons, so we are taking a look at him.  If he does well, we’ve agreed a deal with Westerlo, because we want to protect ourselves”.  That type of thing.

But we got a load of spin, and in some cases lies. Spin is ok, lies is unacceptable imho.

It hasn’t worked out, but it’s also cost us a few quid to find out.  I’m generally ok with that, because I doubt it cost us too much (few quid in last sentence).  There is another intangible cost, re it’s possibly cost an academy player some experience of the match day set up.

And it’s possible to view a window / multiple windows overall yet still critique an individual signing.  You’re making out because it’s been generally decent (agree, I’ve been a big advocate of recruitment improvement over 2.5 years) we mustn’t call out individual deals.  And nobody expects it to be 💯 successful every deal, but just like we can say how good a signing Dickie was, why shouldn’t we say how bad a signing Mebude was.  OTIB has been fine being critical of individual signings in the past.

Come off it Dave, this is 9 pages of discussion about a loan player that hasn't worked out ultimately. Where is the 9 page topic about the rest of our recruitment this season. Like I said to Silvio, this is likely our best window in a very long time however we constantly focus on negatives like this. It's pretty inconsequential and just seems like a repetitive way of bashing the club.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Come off it Dave, this is 9 pages of discussion about a loan player that hasn't worked out ultimately. Where is the 9 page topic about the rest of our recruitment this season. Like I said to Silvio, this is likely our best window in a very long time however we constantly focus on negatives like this. It's pretty inconsequential and just seems like a repetitive way of bashing the club.

Come off it Ross…How many Dickie POTS threads have their been, how many Jason Knight threads, Haydon Roberts threads?  All crediting recruitment, how great a deal they were financially.

So, no, there isn’t just a focus on the negative, there’s more than plenty of positivity about recruitment, it certainly outweighs one thread on Mebude, and some.  Within these 9 pages there is credit for recruitment.

🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, RedRoss said:

Come off it Dave, this is 9 pages of discussion about a loan player that hasn't worked out ultimately. Where is the 9 page topic about the rest of our recruitment this season. Like I said to Silvio, this is likely our best window in a very long time however we constantly focus on negatives like this. It's pretty inconsequential and just seems like a repetitive way of bashing the 

How on earth is the business done in January better than what we did last summer.