IGNORED

All my dreams come true… (Presser) - Merged

2 hours ago, redkev said:

I couldn’t give 2 hoots about monotone emotion or charisma I don’t get this infatuation with some of our fans that we need to have some quality entertaining after dinner speaker as a manager 

good performances 

progression

3 points 

they could wheel out the Dalek off Doctor Who for all I care as long as I see some if not all of the above 

You must be one of those jizzin them selves over the 2 wins and ignoring everything that went before it I guess.... 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

You must be one of those jizzin them selves over the 2 wins and ignoring everything that went before it I guess.... 🤦🏻‍♂️

Those were wins 9 and 10 for Manning, so it's not all been bad

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

Quite interesting, i had to check who his father in law is though, george burley, the old ipswich manager.

Very interesting, in fact, that you had to look up George Burley and describe him as ‘the old Ipswich manager’.

It is obviously an age/generation thing, and please don’t take offence as none is intended, but George Burley was a fantastic full back, who played in the late, great Bobby Robson’s fantastic Ipswich team of the late 1970s/early 1980s, winning quite a few caps for Scotland, who, believe it or not, were not a bad team back then.

George Burley did manage Ipswich for some years, but, unfortunately, suffered (allegedly) from a drinking problem.

He had a nephew (or son?), Craig, who was also a very good full back, playing for Chelsea and Celtic, and also capped numerous times for Scotland.

Yes, I used to like Ipswich back then and, were it not for a certain CEO, would be willing them on for promotion.

• Like 6
  • Flames 3

2 hours ago, transfer reader said:

What I responded to was someone saying we were 4 points off the playoffs when NP was sacked (it was 5, but I think that was a genuine mistake, so not holding it against the poster), with the insinuation that anything more than 4 points off at the end of the season would represent us getting worse.

That's just not how maths works when you increase the data set.

Maths = spot on

Personally, and this is just me, is that I didn’t expect a linear extrapolation for the remaining 31 (or 32) games, depending on your starting point.  I expected with injuries returned / returning that we’d keep that “gap” closer, not allow it to grow at an equal rate.  We still had a window too.

The window started with us still 4 points off (36 from 26).

The window ended with us 6 points off (38 from 29).

I don’t think it was a bad window per se, but we’ve now drifted to 11 points off.  Much as there is loads to play for for LM and the squad, it’s been over since pre-Easter, 14 points off (47 from 38), and as much as I’d like us to win our way home, it kinda doesn’t matter what points tally we get.  Perversely I’d rather be sat here with 58-60 points / 4-6 points off and blow it, ie we’d been in with a chance.

Dunno if that makes sense or not?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Maths = spot on

Personally, and this is just me, is that I didn’t expect a linear extrapolation for the remaining 31 (or 32) games, depending on your starting point.  I expected with injuries returned / returning that we’d keep that “gap” closer, not allow it to grow at an equal rate.  We still had a window too.

I don’t think it was a bad window per se, but we’ve now drifted to 11 points off.  Much as there is loads to play for for LM and the squad, it’s been over since pre-Easter, 14 points off (47 from 38), and as much as I’d like us to win our way home, it kinda doesn’t matter what points tally we get.  Perversely I’d rather be sat here with 58-60 points / 4-6 points off and blow it, ie we’d been in with a chance.

I think I get what you're saying, I was just making a point about D&Ms reasoning being off.

The extrapolation is never going to be perfectly linear, purely because of how points are gained, but also factors like clubs in the playoff race being more likely to bolster their squads to a greater degree etc and some of these various factors would be in our favour (getting a player back who had been out all the season so far in McRorie) and others against us.

The result that has transpired is that we've fallen away from the playoffs at roughly the same rate as we had under NP's games this season. A close enough rate as to being virtually negligible because of the way points work in football and how a handful of wins can skew things.

I know I'm one who has tended to defend Manning, but tonights posts were purely on the reasoning/maths. Yes, I've said we're marginally ahead of the extrapolated amount from when NP was fired, but that was simply a case of saying what the numbers said rather than making a point about manager performance. We're also ever so slightly behind from when LM was appointed.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tim Monaghan said:

Jesus. Gave this forum a break as it was getting tedious and repetitive. I’ve come back to read the same old posts and @W-S-M Seagull still chomping on “Niges” sausage. Seagull GIF

Unless I’m wrong Ghostie, you’ve posted in this forum every day this week. Therefore, I would surmise you haven’t “given this forum a break” at all and the sole purpose of your post was to direct abuse at another forum member who you disagree with.

Its a damn good job you haven’t been sanctimonious about such matters before, as such behaviour would not portray you in the best light.

Oh.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 2

5 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Unless I’m wrong Ghostie, you’ve posted in this forum every day this week. Therefore, I would surmise you haven’t “given this forum a break” at all and the sole purpose of your post was to direct abuse at another forum member who you disagree with.

Its a damn good job you haven’t been sanctimonious about such matters before, as such behaviour would not portray you in the best light.

Oh.

I mean, if that’s what you’ve classed as abuse, then I’m extremely sorry to have abused and I hope you except my apology @W-S-M Seagull

The forum is literally with passive aggressiveness. Anyway, Ghostie out! 

Peace ✌️ 

Edited by Tim Monaghan
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

44 minutes ago, Tim Monaghan said:

Jesus. Gave this forum a break as it was getting tedious and repetitive. I’ve come back to read the same old posts and @W-S-M Seagull still chomping on “Niges” sausage. Seagull GIF

Oh wow, nice bit of casual homophobia there. 

Hopefully you’re about to go on another break. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Tim Monaghan said:

So you disappeared when we were losing but have since returned following 2 wins. Got it! 

Not sure your post is acceptable in 2024.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Oh.

While disagreeing with my post a few weeks ago you started your reply with “Simon, simon, simon”,,, But you want to pull someone up for being sanctimonious and it not portraying them in the best light? 

8 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

While disagreeing with my post a few weeks ago you started your reply with “Simon, simon, simon”,,, But you want to pull someone up for being sanctimonious and it not portraying them in the best light? 

Saying your name three times causes no harm unless you’re Bettlejuice Simon.

Casual Homophobia having previously put on a “let’s all be kind” post? kind of a different ballpark.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Saying your name three times causes no harm unless you’re Bettlejuice Simon.

Casual Homophobia having previously put on a “let’s all be kind” post? kind of a different ballpark.

Right,, so its not sanctimonious when you do it, ok.

14 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

When NP left we were 5 off, when the change itself was made ie post the Fleming game it was 4.

We are currently 11 so people can draw their own conclusions really.

Based on the trajectory of November we are a win light.

It's crossed my mind that we are 4 wins off of a play off spot in 6th place. 

You could arguably say in this league that margins are so fine, that a great deal of luck is involved and that 4 games could easily have been converted to wins. 

Is this why the likes of BT consider top 6 feesable?

Arguably the games we've won by fine margins could have been losses.

Look at Huddersfield. Lost less games than us and sit bottom 3

• Hmmm 1

15 hours ago, Robbored said:

From memory CLT is in simple terms is amount of information an active memory can process in a given time. It’s particularly helpful  in avoiding overloading someone who might struggle to retain info.

iirc there were/are three different types of CLT but I can’t recall what they are………:facepalm:

I may have some understanding without understanding!

Multitasking does not aid cognitive performance, it can induce stress and mental fog, and causes the brain to use energy (glucose) faster creating poorer cognitive performance.

5 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Multitasking does not aid cognitive performance, it can induce stress and mental fog, and causes the brain to use energy (glucose) faster creating poorer cognitive performance.

If you are a woman it isn't 😁👍

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Maths = spot on

Extrapolation - now there’s a word you don’t hear everyday! I needed this yesterday in a business case I was writing and could not think of it for the life of me! 🤣

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Quite right it doesn’t. Multitasking is when a person carries out a series of tasks that they’re familiar with. A classic example of someone doing household chores and cooking at the same time.. Clearly if there are numerous tasks then that can and often does cause stress and most of us know what high stress levels can do.

Its an obvious observation.

In my career we were sometimes stressed with workload and to cope with it time management was essential. Oddly the more senior one became was when we were sent on a time management course……….:grr:

5 hours ago, spudski said:

Is this why the likes of BT consider top 6 feesable?

Everyone likes to ridicule the likes of JL for them saying top 6 was the target. I think they do that because they know their man has not delivered. 

Before the season started I did believe that with a fair wind and maybe one or two more signings then we could have had a crack at the top 6. 

You don't need to be a top 6 squad to get top 6. Coventry last season were not one of the best 6 sides in the league. They played terribly at times. However they had the ability to grind out results and get points from games that they shouldn't have. 

Ironically I believed that camaraderie was our best chance of getting into the top 6. This season it felt like our squad had taken a huge step forward in that regards. 

I think we went from wanting to emulate Coventry to then wanting to emulate Ipswich. 

People can ridicule the clubs statements all they like but the reality is we do have enough to have got more from games against QPR x2, Huddersfield, Sheff Wed, Cardiff, Preston, Millwall, Birmingham etc. 

12 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Everyone likes to ridicule the likes of JL for them saying top 6 was the target. I think they do that because they know their man has not delivered. 

Before the season started I did believe that with a fair wind and maybe one or two more signings then we could have had a crack at the top 6. 

You don't need to be a top 6 squad to get top 6. Coventry last season were not one of the best 6 sides in the league. They played terribly at times. However they had the ability to grind out results and get points from games that they shouldn't have. 

Ironically I believed that camaraderie was our best chance of getting into the top 6. This season it felt like our squad had taken a huge step forward in that regards. 

I think we went from wanting to emulate Coventry to then wanting to emulate Ipswich. 

People can ridicule the clubs statements all they like but the reality is we do have enough to have got more from games against QPR x2, Huddersfield, Sheff Wed, Cardiff, Preston, Millwall, Birmingham etc. 

Perhaps when interviewed next, they should ask JL and Tinnion what they mean by ' Top 6'.

As top 6 includes the top 2 and often teams fighting for those top 2 places. 

Or do they mean 6th...which is often only a few points above mid table sides. A big difference imo.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Red Billy said:

Extrapolation - now there’s a word you don’t hear everyday! I needed this yesterday in a business case I was writing and could not think of it for the life of me! 🤣

I remember my first time extrapolating. Got Woolworths to trial a line I was selling in one store.  They made the mistake of telling me which store. Cue a 7 hour round trip to said store to buy all the stock and then when the sales data came through, an email to the buyer telling them if they extrapolated those sales to all Woolworths stores they’d sell 300k pieces a year so should place some bloody orders quick! 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Pretty sure Gavin Marshall said,"we made the change, because we want promotion THIS season."

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, spudski said:

Perhaps when interviewed next, they should ask JL and Tinnion what they mean by ' Top 6'.

As top 6 includes the top 2 and often teams fighting for those top 2 places. 

Or do they mean 6th...which is often only a few points above mid table sides. A big difference imo.

I think by the time they said all that top 2 would have been a complete pipe dream. So I think it's fair to say they were looking at 5th and 6th place. 

Had we of beaten QPR x2 and the home game against Cardiff then we'd be sitting just 3 points off the play offs. 

People can say what they like about what JL said but no one is going to be able to come up with a coherent arguement that we are not good enough to have got max points from those 3 games. Throw in the Sheff Wed away game as a win too and we'd be 7th. 

I don't care how people like to frame it but it's undeniable that we have under achieved. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1