IGNORED

SL - interview please for end of season

On 15/04/2024 at 15:48, Sir Geoff said:

Indeed, it just proved to me one final time that Manning prefers to set up not to lose rather than play more expansive football to try and win.

In fact I've been hoping he would prove me wrong ever since the negative way he set up in his first game at QPR. 

Two decent wins aligned with one good performance in the past few weeks has not convinced me that next season won't be more of the same dreary boring football.

Exactly  im worried where were gonna get our fifty odd points to stay up next year one good performance  every six games wont cut it .

Edited by Cityboy1954
  • Confused 1

On 15/04/2024 at 13:38, Numero Uno said:

Exactly where I am. Unfortunately the person I meet has decided Steve, Jon and Sid can stick their warning shot. Wouldn't go if they gave him a free season ticket...........mixture of health reasons and the appalling way the club is ran by appalling characters (which doesn't entice him to put his health issues to one side).

Post of the day. We need new owners asap.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Cityboy1954 said:

Exactly  im worried where were gonna get our fifty odd points to stay up next year one good performance  every six games wont cut it .

Mate, he's already got 37 points this season and he missed the first 15 games

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

13 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

We might hear something this summer?

It depends how long any negotiations and legals take. Generally I'd expect the sale of a business of the value and complexity of Bristol City/Sport to take around 6 months to complete.

If the hypothetical deal has already been hypothetically agreed then completion before next season kicks off is possible if people pull 80 hour weeks, don't piss about, and the EFL is happy with the new owner/investor.

If not...well go look at Everton and 777 for an indication of how long things can take!

45 minutes ago, Cityboy1954 said:

Don't worry he'll scrape enough 0-0's and sneaky 1-0's after sending the opposition into some sort of coma with all the sideways and backwards passing.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

It depends how long any negotiations and legals take. Generally I'd expect the sale of a business of the value and complexity of Bristol City/Sport to take around 6 months to complete.

If the hypothetical deal has already been hypothetically agreed then completion before next season kicks off is possible if people pull 80 hour weeks, don't piss about, and the EFL is happy with the new owner/investor.

If not...well go look at Everton and 777 for an indication of how long things can take!

Tbf Evertons takeover is only taking so long because 777 haven't actually got the funds to do the deal.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Tbf Evertons takeover is only taking so long because 777 haven't actually got the funds to do the deal.

Quite so, though Everton fans are so fixated on the conspiracy against them they seem not to have noticed that nor their £550m in third party debt.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/apr/16/everton-takeover-777-gets-extension-to-repay-160m-loan

• Like 1

On 15/04/2024 at 11:34, cidered abroad said:

Well if he was, perhaps he realises that a significant number of us are sick fed up with the backwards and sideways game plan that is so boring. And if that is the only method that Manning can coach into the squad, we all might as well go up the Downs on a Saturday afternoon for our weekly fix!

Well he does love his Rugger...all sideways and backwards. 🤪

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mozo said:

Mate, he's already got 37 points this season and he missed the first 15 games

I cant wait till next year watching this torrid crap oh and before you say go an watch the gas its now sixty years of it bar a couple .

Edited by Cityboy1954
  • Like 3
  • Robin 2

48 minutes ago, Cityboy1954 said:

I cant wait till next year watching this torrid crap oh and before you say go an watch the gas its now sixty years of it bar a couple .

Bloody hell, if you've been watching City 60 years you'll have seen a lot of torrid crap!

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Well he does love his Rugger...all sideways and backwards. 🤪

It wasn’t so long ago that he had a chat with Pat Lam telling him to go back to playing in the Bears way  and Lam did - I don’t think that the Bears have lost since.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

It wasn’t so long ago that he had a chat with Pat Lam telling him to go back to playing in the Bears way  and Lam did - I don’t think that the Bears have lost since.

Still not his place to be interfering.

I honestly wish that he would just appoint himself as head coach of both the football and the rugby. 

That's what he wants to be.

• Flames 2

6 hours ago, Superjack said:

Still not his place to be interfering.

I honestly wish that he would just appoint himself as head coach of both the football and the rugby. 

That's what he wants to be.

Lansdown couldnt articulate to a coach how he wants football to be played let alone rugby.

I know Lam said that Lansdown had spoken with him but his ego and length of contract wouldnt cause him to rip up his playbook because of a word from the owner.

Its more about the return of big players and Lam resetting to a style that worked (finally)

We will see exactly how good they are when meaningful games come up.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

9 hours ago, mozo said:

Bloody hell, if you've been watching City 60 years you'll have seen a lot of torrid crap!

54 years for me and I can honestly say this is the dullest football I have ever witnessed in all that time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, mozo said:

Very true give or take the old prem league and a few cup classics  some of the Best was the fourth division days young players fighting for the shirt wingers etc none of this chess football sideways and backwards  the T.C days .

Edited by Cityboy1954
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

54 years for me and I can honestly say this is the dullest football I have ever witnessed in all that time.

Couldn't agree more. The quality has varied from the dream results coming true in the First Division to a team of mid teenage boys at the bottom of Division Four. In 1982, I did something that Lansdown never has or never will do. I spent the £90 of cash in my savings bank account on shares to keep City in business. And so did around 2,000 others.

I have little respect now for SL as over 25 years he has spent peanuts on City, City Women and Bristol Rugby. When he completely clears his bank account as I did, I'll grant him some respect. He is taking the piss out of us supporters. Not funding the playing staff to give us a better chance of top quality football.

And employing a head coach who is trying to do the impossible; to play the same style and quality as the Man City's, Real Madrid's with Second and Third Division quality playing staff. They're doing their very best but the style of play that Manning is trying to produce is way beyond our players ability. So send Manning back to Man City where he can coach their thirteen year olds!

• Like 3
  • Flames 7
  • Robin 2

11 hours ago, Robbored said:

Should have taken the head coach role himself then.

Probably not in reality, seeing his in depth knowledge of the football industry is the major reason we have flatlined under him for 20+ years despite spending £200m.

”Trust me on Tinnion”, the ludicrous appointment of Dean Holden, FFS.

Just sell up & spend even more time In Guernsey.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

17 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Probably not in reality, seeing his in depth knowledge of the football industry is the major reason we have flatlined under him for 20+ years despite spending £200m.

I heard that a certain Mr Dyson is interested in either buying or heavily investing in Bristol City.

Probably just wild speculation and rumour tho……..:dunno:

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Absolutely Graham.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

Couldn't agree more. The quality has varied from the dream results coming true in the First Division to a team of mid teenage boys at the bottom of Division Four. In 1982, I did something that Lansdown never has or never will do. I spent the £90 of cash in my savings bank account on shares to keep City in business. And so did around 2,000 others.

I have little respect now for SL as over 25 years he has spent peanuts on City, City Women and Bristol Rugby. When he completely clears his bank account as I did, I'll grant him some respect. He is taking the piss out of us supporters. Not funding the playing staff to give us a better chance of top quality football.

And employing a head coach who is trying to do the impossible; to play the same style and quality as the Man City's, Real Madrid's with Second and Third Division quality playing staff. They're doing their very best but the style of play that Manning is trying to produce is way beyond our players ability. So send Manning back to Man City where he can coach their thirteen year olds!

Mate, you're definitely a true fan, so huge respect to you. Especially for sticking with the club through the absolute hardest of times. 

I love hearing about other eras of our history, even if they don't include much success!

There's nothing wrong with is disagreeing on how hoe things are right now, that's what the forum is all about. I do think you're seeing things as worse than they really are, but let's see how things go next season. If it doesn't go well, I'll put my hand up and say I was just too optimistic!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Northern Red said:

Can only assume anyone saying this is the most boring football they've ever seen didn't experience the Pulis tenure, or was so bored that they spent most of it asleep and therefore have no recollection of it.

For me it's just bitty; there's good stuff mixed in with bad stuff and average stuff, and it's a combination of Manning's input, the players' execution and the players' limitations. 

That's frustrating other people more than it is me (so far), but worth remembering that it was equally inconsistent under Nige, albeit with a different tactical approach (not better or worse in my opinion).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, mozo said:

I love hearing about other eras of our history, even if they don't include much success!

Not much success??? A lot of us can remember top tier football at Ashton Gate, and for a few seasons we more than held our own. Something a lot of our fans nowadays are unlikely ever to see in their lifetime. (Think about that) Seeing Bristol City play and beat a full strength Man Utd team home and away, winning away at Arsenal in our first game in the top flight.. beating Liverpool, beating Spurs and sending them down I could go on. Now we have Manningball and we’re all supposed to be glasses half full even though we all know our glasses are bone dry.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Very interesting points you make. What people are missing is that the bloke who has lobbed £200m into the club (we are all very grateful before someone loses it) is ALSO one of the best investors in the country. So no doubt the £200m he's put in (or £10m per year on average) will have been recouped just from his investment knowledge not to mention he will recoup probably half of the capital investment when he sells up. Like I said before, owning Bristol Sport is no more than an expensive hobby for him. £100-£150m net at worst over the best part of 25 years for a billionaire. He won't be destitute at the end of it all.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, FNQ said:

Not much success??? A lot of us can remember top tier football at Ashton Gate, and for a few seasons we more than held our own. Something a lot of our fans nowadays are unlikely ever to see in their lifetime. (Think about that) Seeing Bristol City play and beat a full strength Man Utd team home and away, winning away at Arsenal in our first game in the top flight.. beating Liverpool, beating Spurs and sending them down I could go on. Now we have Manningball and we’re all supposed to be glasses half full even though we all know our glasses are bone dry.

I think some of the teams in our division, and a few in divisions below us might laugh at your description of success! 

Having said that, I'm very jealous that I wasn't around to see it.

The way things are going, we'll reach 50 years outside of the top flight, with a history of zero major trophies, but who knows, the stars might align at some point.

Obviously, I don't agree that we "know that our glass is bone dry", but happy for you to think that, and I'll hope you're wrong. 

We're an average Championship side currently, and you'll know from following City over the years, that we've been a lot worse off for many, many years of our post-war history.

Edited by mozo

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

Can only assume anyone saying this is the most boring football they've ever seen didn't experience the Pulis tenure, or was so bored that they spent most of it asleep and therefore have no recollection of it.

Maybe they want the sheer chaos of the Benny Lennartson season again?!

36 minutes ago, FNQ said:

Blimey mate. We haven't played a game of top flight football since the time of the St Pauls riots, and if you mentioned those to anyone under 50, they probably wouldn't have a clue what you were on about..!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

I heard that a certain Mr Dyson is interested in either buying or heavily investing in Bristol City.

Probably just wild speculation and rumour tho……..:dunno:

I assume he couldn't have anything to do with the Bears as he funds them down the A4.