IGNORED

Jon talks...

spudski

Just spotted that , might listen on catch up so I can skip through the Uuummms. 

Fair play for him doing it , there needs to be much better coms & engagement from Club.

Will take what we can get, I guess, but it is a shame that two people who made things even worse the last time they publicly spoke are being made to do it again because SL basically has no interest in doing so. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Negan said:

Good bit of form and out they pop, like clockwork. 

19 minutes ago, Big C said:

Yeah nothing to do with being the end of the season

Both of these things are true. There would have been some sort of end of season statement at some point, but a little form helps the timing no end!

14 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Feel like they're damned if they do, damned if they don't sometimes

The last JL statement was self damning and I suspect lessons have been learned. But anyone sensible still takes your point. However the last one was so awful the damnation was earned. This one was much better!

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

Will take what we can get, I guess, but it is a shame that two people who made things even worse the last time they publicly spoke are being made to do it again because SL basically has no interest in doing so. 

SL appears to have effectively handed the running of the club to Jon. I don’t expect anything from Steve until such a time as we get promoted or sold!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Feel like they're damned if they do, damned if they don't sometimes

If he fronted up when we’re Ona losing run rather than only ever on a winning streak, I’d agree with you.

Whoever the interviewer surely the main question has to be, given that JL said we had a top 6 squad, does he agree switching managers was a failure?

• Flames 1

1 minute ago, NickJ said:

If he fronted up when we’re Ona losing run rather than only ever on a winning streak, I’d agree with you.

Whoever the interviewer surely the main question has to be, given that JL said we had a top 6 squad, does he agree switching managers was a failure?

I mean he isn't going to say yes to that question is he.

6 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Both of these things are true. There would have been some sort of end of season statement at some point, but a little form helps the timing no end!

The last JL statement was self damning and I suspect lessons have been learned. But anyone sensible still takes your point. However the last one was so awful the damnation was earned. This one was much better!

SL appears to have effectively handed the running of the club to Jon. I don’t expect anything from Steve until such a time as we get promoted or sold!

Pre recorded to be safe and sure. What a shame we cannot do a live phone in and on the spot transparency. Does worry me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Pre recorded to be safe and sure. What a shame we cannot do a live phone in and on the spot transparency. Does worry me. 

That answers my question.

Still, Jon shat the bed publicly on his last round of club produced pre recorded interviews so no reason to think he won’t do the same here.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NickJ said:

I don’t think we need to hear from the chairman, whatever run of form we’re in.

Makes sense to hear a season-end review though. Our nice run of good form will make it much easier for him though 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

I think I recall when tinnion was on, the interviewer was getting props on here for asking some direct questions,, this could be quite interesting!

26 minutes ago, NickJ said:

I don't think too many have a great deal of time for the ones at the top at the moment, but do you really expect Chairmen/Owners from clubs to come out and give interviews multiple times per season after every losing and winning run?

It is the end of the season and if he didn't come out and speak he'd get criticised, now he is doing an interview he's getting criticised for that.

Jon talks

Jon walks

Jon is potty trained

Jon learns to draw with crayons

Jon ties his own laces

Jon goes to big school 

Jon gets to run Daddy's football club

• Like 4
  • Haha 7
  • Flames 2
  • Facepalm 4

17 minutes ago, TheReds said:

I don't think too many have a great deal of time for the ones at the top at the moment, but do you really expect Chairmen/Owners from clubs to come out and give interviews multiple times per season after every losing and winning run?

It is the end of the season and if he didn't come out and speak he'd get criticised, now he is doing an interview he's getting criticised for that.

You’ve just said exactly the same as the post I replied to.

My comment is a different point.

10 minutes ago, petehinton said:

FFS, just heard the snippet 

Jon - “I want them to understand what we are trying to achieve and how, so that we aren’t setting expectations too high” 

6 months ago….

“Promotion is the aim this season”

”best squad we’ve had at this level”

It’s just so hard to take it seriously when it can be pulled apart so easily 🤣🤣🤣

“Not a good start Boris Jon”

"There is no reason not to be excited" 

Well considering the maximum we've achieved this season is equalling last season, I'm not too sure what I'm supposed to be getting excited by? 

18 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Jon - “I want them to understand what we are trying to achieve and how, so that we aren’t setting expectations too high” 

6 months ago….

It’s just so hard to take it seriously when it can be pulled apart so easily 🤣🤣🤣

I'm pretty sure at this point our club is just a meme. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, petehinton said:

6 months ago….

Yeah, I picked up on this bit too.

And the "no reason to not be excited" comment.... I'm not sure excitement is a word is use to describe Manning-ball to be honest! 

Well be interesting to listen to the whole thing though.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t mind a positioning of:

• where we should be (based on several factors), e.g. 10-12th vs what we aim for (if we can get certain bits correct), e.g. 4-6th

Yeh because that's an honest assessment of the club/squad as it stands.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ashton_fan said:

We were 15th when NP was sacked

We had to play our youth team though due to injuries. We were 8th or 9th before they occurred 

Anything about the Summer plans? 

Not listening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, luke_bristol said:

Seconds after being challenged on NP being sacked for results (while he was in what, 8th place?) did he say 10th-12th is about where we should be 😂

Are you saying that you believe that Pearson was sacked because of results and/or league position? 

I don't think either were anything to do with it, but the club were never going to say the real reason, were they?

• Like 3

Been told by someone  in recruitment  we won't be doing much business  this summer. He's  got no reason  to lie ,so yeh don't get to excited another borefest season beckons. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 95red said:

Been told by someone  in recruitment  we won't be doing much business  this summer. He's  got no reason  to lie ,so yeh don't get to excited another borefest season beckons. 

I don’t think we need to, assume players we want to keep, e.g. Conway don’t go out the door.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think we need to, assume players we want to keep, e.g. Conway don’t go out the door.

Agreed. Need a Twine type and a new striker if Conway goes.  We’d all love 4-5 signings I’m sure but could cope with 2.  3 would be great.  This is all on top of Bird 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Are you saying that you believe that Pearson was sacked because of results and/or league position? 

I don't think either were anything to do with it, but the club were never going to say the real reason, were they?

No, NP claims he wasn’t told why, and that only later he found out it was league position. JL was reluctant to confirm anything, probably because our league position wasn’t bad given the circumstances with injuries.

I don’t believe for a second it was the primary issue, rather that months later they just can’t keep up with their own spin. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, 95red said:

We've got a good, small, focussed core to the squad. I don't want us to add loads to it - a few well considered additions is what we need (with replacements as necessary).

Hopefully the days of signing 8+ players, half of whom we never see are over. Keep the group and the ethic they've built over the last year or two.

• Like 4
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 2

In fairness and I’m far from his biggest fan but thought he came across the best I’ve heard him but that’s coming from a low bar.  I’m not sure what else he could say in addition to how he answered each question. 

• Like 10
  • Robin 1

Just now, Shuffle said:

In fairness and I’m far from his biggest fan but thought he came across the best I’ve heard him but that’s coming from a low bar.  I’m not sure what else he could say in addition to how he answered each question. 

Yep, once he got past the Nige question, it was decent (against the bar you suggest).

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, 95red said:

If that’s true. We could very much be in trouble next season.

• Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 1

13 minutes ago, 95red said:

That really is no surprise to anyone who has been watching closely.

We signed Bird for the first team & Stokes for the squad in January, but they don’t arrive until now.

Manning has been pretty clear that Twine is his main target & if he gets him then that’s the vast majority of the summer transfer budget used up, unless Conway goes.

If Conway stays we already have our main striker & any further additions (back up keeper & possibly a striker) are going to be low cost ones.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

He said about what I was hoping for/expecting, given where it was coming from.

Anyway, talk is cheap. Lets sign a couple of decent players in the positions we need, keep hold of TC, and make a proper run at the top six.

Edited by Sleepy1968
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Maybe LM had to adjust then, according to what JL just said! 👀

(Paraphrased - didn’t match what they wanted, what they have recruited to)

Yes Dave, that's the most eye-opening part for me. He made it sound very much like the board told Manning to change. This might explain why in one presser Manning made made a point of saying 'no one was complaining when the block worked against Southampton and West Ham'.

Which brings us to a strange scenario whereby we actually have Jon L to thank for our success 🤣

• Haha 5

29 minutes ago, 95red said:

Who from the club recruitment told you this?

We need to sign atleast 2 or 3 quality signings to have a go at top 6. By this I mean spend a few quid., quality not quantity.Theres no point in signing 6 players for a million each expecting to polish a turd. Spend 2 or 3 million on a few with maybe a loan signing.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, The Coach said:

If that’s true. We could very much be in trouble next season.

We will probably finish 10-15th next season, like most other seasons. Bird in, twine on a perm plus a big fast striker and i cant see relegation being a concern, though thats with the caveat that oleary, vyner, dickie, can stay fit all season.

25 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

That really is no surprise to anyone who has been watching closely.

We signed Bird for the first team & Stokes for the squad in January, but they don’t arrive until now.

Manning has been pretty clear that Twine is his main target & if he gets him then that’s the vast majority of the summer transfer budget used up, unless Conway goes.

If Conway stays we already have our main striker & any further additions (back up keeper & possibly a striker) are going to be low cost ones.

So much talk , hints from Tinnion etc big front man is a target , I think even if Conway stays that may well happen 

• Like 1