IGNORED

Jon talks...

spudski

Just now, Shuffle said:

In fairness and I’m far from his biggest fan but thought he came across the best I’ve heard him but that’s coming from a low bar.  I’m not sure what else he could say in addition to how he answered each question. 

Yep, once he got past the Nige question, it was decent (against the bar you suggest).

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, 95red said:

Been told by someone  in recruitment  we won't be doing much business  this summer. He's  got no reason  to lie ,so yeh don't get to excited another borefest season beckons. 

If that’s true. We could very much be in trouble next season.

• Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 1

13 minutes ago, 95red said:

Been told by someone  in recruitment  we won't be doing much business  this summer. He's  got no reason  to lie ,so yeh don't get to excited another borefest season beckons. 

That really is no surprise to anyone who has been watching closely.

We signed Bird for the first team & Stokes for the squad in January, but they don’t arrive until now.

Manning has been pretty clear that Twine is his main target & if he gets him then that’s the vast majority of the summer transfer budget used up, unless Conway goes.

If Conway stays we already have our main striker & any further additions (back up keeper & possibly a striker) are going to be low cost ones.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

In fairness and I’m far from his biggest fan but thought he came across the best I’ve heard him but that’s coming from a low bar.  I’m not sure what else he could say in addition to how he answered each question. 

He said about what I was hoping for/expecting, given where it was coming from.

Anyway, talk is cheap. Lets sign a couple of decent players in the positions we need, keep hold of TC, and make a proper run at the top six.

Edited by Sleepy1968
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Maybe LM had to adjust then, according to what JL just said! 👀

(Paraphrased - didn’t match what they wanted, what they have recruited to)

Yes Dave, that's the most eye-opening part for me. He made it sound very much like the board told Manning to change. This might explain why in one presser Manning made made a point of saying 'no one was complaining when the block worked against Southampton and West Ham'.

Which brings us to a strange scenario whereby we actually have Jon L to thank for our success 🤣

• Haha 5

29 minutes ago, 95red said:

Who from the club recruitment told you this?

We need to sign atleast 2 or 3 quality signings to have a go at top 6. By this I mean spend a few quid., quality not quantity.Theres no point in signing 6 players for a million each expecting to polish a turd. Spend 2 or 3 million on a few with maybe a loan signing.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, The Coach said:

If that’s true. We could very much be in trouble next season.

We will probably finish 10-15th next season, like most other seasons. Bird in, twine on a perm plus a big fast striker and i cant see relegation being a concern, though thats with the caveat that oleary, vyner, dickie, can stay fit all season.

25 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

We signed Bird for the first team & Stokes for the squad in January, but they don’t arrive until now.

Manning has been pretty clear that Twine is his main target & if he gets him then that’s the vast majority of the summer transfer budget used up, unless Conway goes.

If Conway stays we already have our main striker & any further additions (back up keeper & possibly a striker) are going to be low cost ones.

So much talk , hints from Tinnion etc big front man is a target , I think even if Conway stays that may well happen 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mozo said:

Yes Dave, that's the most eye-opening part for me. He made it sound very much like the board told Manning to change. This might explain why in one presser Manning made made a point of saying 'no one was complaining when the block worked against Southampton and West Ham'.

Which brings us to a strange scenario whereby we actually have Jon L to thank for our success 🤣

Similar to SL telling Pat Lam Bristol need to change, or go back, to their old style. Seems to have worked there too.

26 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

How can you state that our complete transfer budget will be used up on Twine?

It will probably cost us the £4m Burnley paid for him. I would be surprised if Wells is still with us at start of season and Conway looks 80% out of the door 

Regardless of what we pay for Twine or an alternative, the priority has always been a striker that has more physical presence but a bit of pace also and they don’t come cheap 

There is almost certainly funds held back from the sale of Scott and what was spent in January was minimal

I would not be surprised if we spent £10m - £12m on the two key positions and hope the business is done early 

What we need to be mindful of is if anyone comes in for any of our players!! 

3 minutes ago, INCRED said:

It will probably cost us the £4m Burnley paid for him. I would be surprised if Wells is still with us at start of season and Conway looks 80% out of the door 

Regardless of what we pay for Twine or an alternative, the priority has always been a striker that has more physical presence but a bit of pace also and they don’t come cheap 

There is almost certainly funds held back from the sale of Scott and what was spent in January was minimal

I would not be surprised if we spent £10m - £12m on the two key positions and hope the business is done early 

10-12 spend, that won't be happening

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

Just now, Mike Stone said:

10-12 spend, that won't be happening

Why?

You don’t think we are in a position to spend what is a reasonable amount on 2 players that come at a premium especially as the board intimated after NP was sacked that they held back funds or is it that structured payments from Bournemouth enable us to use in the next transfer window?

8 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Unless Conway leaves I doubt we’ll spent even half of £12m.

If you listened to Tinnion in a recent podcast he as much as said this.

Wells is going nowhere, he has one year left on his deal & is very happy in this part of the world.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Backs up what I’m worried about re Manning long term. If he’s playing the “board’s way” for these last 8 games, who’s to say he won’t immediately revert to type after a preseason…

Gone to playing the boards way to get results to get season ticket sales clever that 🤔 come at the right time that unbeaten run. If that's the case mannings not going to last long if the boards dictating things. As long as the Lansdowns are here this will keep happening and that's what they couldn't do with a pearson type manager.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 3

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Wells is going nowhere, he has one year left on his deal & is very happy in this part of the world.

The clubs senior management have stated numerous times and even during the January window that a striker was a priority in the summer as would be a No10 

Conway probably knows he would be playing second fiddle to whoever they bring in which means Wells would be 3rd choice. Add in Stokes who appears to be impressing everyone at the HPC then do you think we will go with 4 forwards vying for 1 maybe 2 spots on a match day?

• Like 1

I read today that Smodics might be off , with a newspaper suggested fee of £20M. When we sold him, it would have had a sell on clause, and that should have rolled into his Blackburn deal/fee. So maybe there is finally a sell on fee of a decent level incoming? Unless we are still needing to raise £10m a year from sales to reduce our losses, that could be a very welcome boost. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Maybe LM had to adjust then, according to what JL just said! 👀

(Paraphrased - didn’t match what they wanted, what they have recruited to)

It's hilarious Dave. 

We hired a head coach that didn't fit with what we wanted like many of us on here suggested. It then sounds like he had to be told to play a different way and then it's no surprise that as soon as we play a style that's more suited to the squad we have, we get better results. 

Didn't these conversations happen during the recruitment interview? Its just incredible. 

My thoughts on Manning are clear. It's going to take a very long time for me to move past him going rouge this season. 

• Like 11
  • Facepalm 8

6 minutes ago, RollsRoyce said:

I read today that Smodics might be off , with a newspaper suggested fee of £20M. When we sold him, it would have had a sell on clause, and that should have rolled into his Blackburn deal/fee. So maybe there is finally a sell on fee of a decent level incoming? Unless we are still needing to raise £10m a year from sales to reduce our losses, that could be a very welcome boost. 

Yes, let's say Peterborough have got a 20% sell on, we'd then get whatever our sell on % was of the 20%. 

34 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Conway will be replaced by Seb Palmer Holden.

They'll call it pathway, we'll call it budget.

Just my guess.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

And? Isn't that what a forum is for? If Manning has your full backing, fair play to you. It would be a boring world if we all had the same opinions. 

Why the need to repeat it over and over though? Its like you want Manning to fail so you can be proven correct. Every day, pretty much, its the same posts. Give it a rest 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Why the need to repeat it over and over though? Its like you want Manning to fail so you can be proven correct. Every day, pretty much, its the same posts. Give it a rest 

It’s not about wanting him to fail, it’s just pretty obvious to see what’s about to happen. Manning gets the summer and tries to instil his way of playing.

Worst case scenario, he’s backed in the market and brings in Twine and a few others on big money. Manning then goes full Manningball and starts the season poorly, sacked by December and we’re sat in a relegation battle with the Scott and Semenyo money spent.

Best case scenario, the board still don’t trust him enough to spend so we recruit lightly this summer and can quickly pivot to a new manager when the inevitable happens.

• Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1