IGNORED

Jon talks...

spudski

3 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

At the very end he talks about - getting ourselves in the best position so we can push when the times right.

Does anybody know what that means?

It’s a nonsense, though handily intangible bar though isn’t it. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

At the very end he talks about - getting ourselves in the best position so we can push when the times right.

That's what the nest egg is for 😉 

Just once again a huge shame that we didn't invest in the summer. Just a couple of million like all of us were calling for and maybe we'd still have something to play for now. 

5 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

That's what the nest egg is for 😉 

Just once again a huge shame that we didn't invest in the summer. Just a couple of million like all of us were calling for and maybe we'd still have something to play for now. 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Would you not expect somebody in a senior position in a business to have had some communication and presentation skills training? Except perhaps when you get the job through nepotism so don't need to prove you have the necessary skills.

I do agree with what your saying , but I could have all the training in the world but doesn’t mean I could be a professional football player , 

As for getting the job it’s not his fault daddy is a million / billionaire or what ever he is , by no way am I defending him completely as he has made some big mistakes , give criticism to the correct areas of his mistakes not just chuck any sort of criticism at him 

1 hour ago, RollsRoyce said:

I read today that Smodics might be off , with a newspaper suggested fee of £20M. When we sold him, it would have had a sell on clause, and that should have rolled into his Blackburn deal/fee. So maybe there is finally a sell on fee of a decent level incoming? Unless we are still needing to raise £10m a year from sales to reduce our losses, that could be a very welcome boost. 

It was 15-20 mil in the press but think Blackburn would be lucky for anything near that despite his goal scoring record. Don't think teams would want to spend more than 10-15 mil on him given he's 28 and you can add Blackburn's position doesn't seem the best while maybe not dangerous for the club while the owners can't get their money out of India, if a club with cash was able to come in and offer them 10-15 mil then its money the owners can use for general re-investment in the squad. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Unless the new proposed number 9 is if a definite next level calibre I find this talk of selling, let alone bumping Conway down the pecking order a bit bizarre.

We have a striker of some promise age 21, becoming 22 jn August, yes several penalties this season but double figures in his first 2 full seasons, some assists too.

Clearly if we get silly money, or even an acceptable bid and he won't sign we have to consider but the idea of bumping him down the pecking order I don't get.

‘Some promise’ is about right. TC is learning his game and maturing all the while. I’d be genuinely surprised if a bid of over £2m came in for him.

If City do bring in a decent CF and Manning plays two up top then I can see that benefitting Conway. Having  another striker alongside would provide more goal poaching opportunities and develop him into a better striker.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

It's hilarious Dave. 

We hired a head coach that didn't fit with what we wanted like many of us on here suggested. It then sounds like he had to be told to play a different way and then it's no surprise that as soon as we play a style that's more suited to the squad we have, we get better results. 

Didn't these conversations happen during the recruitment interview? Its just incredible. 

My thoughts on Manning are clear. It's going to take a very long time for me to move past him going rouge this season. 

Again you criticise him for adjusting..  As if that's a crime, surely that's a positive part of a skillset you want to see in a manager of a football club.

You have the benefit of hindsight, Manning didn't. It's easy after the fact to scoff at how things pan out.

The fact is you set your stall out early on him, and you still have a bad taste in your mouth re the board which hardens your stance. You lose your log in details when we win games or go unbeaten. When we lose you set post per hour records on here telling us how bad everything is with Manning, Tins and the board. Someone will pick you up on it and and you'll claim they are picking on you. Rinse and repeat.. it's intolerable.

• Like 8

41 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s funny, because when LM said that, I was indeed buzzing from the result, but I also said that it didn’t take Albert Einstein to work out that a specific approach to 1) a high possession Championship team like Saints or 2) a PL team like West Ham, wasn’t gonna be the model for most “bread and butter” games.  So to say we were happy, was more a case of happy for those couple / few games, and not happy at all at some of the other games around that period.

I might be a million miles off target, but I still think the players went “rogue” in that last 30 mins v Swansea in reaction to boos aimed at LM inadvertently seem like they were aimed at the players.  Rogue is a shit word, perhaps more they decided their way of problem solving was better.  You know what I mean.

You won't be surprised to hear that I won't be joining you on taking that leap!

I saw enough good stuff pre-Swansea to encourage me. Maybe I'm easily pleased!

I really hope Jon L just gave the wrong impression!

Just now, Barrs Court Red said:

It’s a nonsense, though handily intangible bar though isn’t it. 

It also smacks of the infamous nest egg of unspecified size to be used at an unspecified time.

Don't set a specific objective then you can claim success after the event.

Sorry Jon, we weren't born yesterday!

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

‘Some promise’ is about right. TC is learning his game and maturing all the while. I’d be genuinely surprised if a bid of over £2m came in for him.

If City do bring in a decent CF and Manning plays two up top then I can see that benefitting Conway. Having  another striker alongside would provide more goal poaching opportunities and develop him into a better striker.

2 strikers up front is rather problematic at this level.ajs above but a back 3 can offer the option at times.

That aside, £2m?? You sure? Hit double figures x 2 in a middle third side despite 2 medium term injuries age 21..I believe the service was a bigger issue.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

I'll give it a go although perhaps I'm being overly generous to him.

Build up, build up steadily yet with a clear strategy, with finances more controlled this time then go for it financially when in the best possible 2 year or so period.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

It’s funny, because when LM said that, I was indeed buzzing from the result, but I also said that it didn’t take Albert Einstein to work out that a specific approach to 1) a high possession Championship team like Saints or 2) a PL team like West Ham, wasn’t gonna be the model for most “bread and butter” games.  So to say we were happy, was more a case of happy for those couple / few games, and not happy at all at some of the other games around that period.

I might be a million miles off target, but I still think the players went “rogue” in that last 30 mins v Swansea in reaction to boos aimed at LM inadvertently seem like they were aimed at the players.  Rogue is a shit word, perhaps more they decided their way of problem solving was better.  You know what I mean.

I’m getting the impression (with absolutely nothing to back it up 🤣🤣🤣) that the no9, although being brought in to add a presence may not be a “big signing”, ie we will try to keep Conway and the new no9 is more of an “option”, as TC remains key.

If TC goes, we will replace TC appropriately.

So the bulk of the “money” will be on Twine.

I can’t see us spending more that £3-5m in total (assuming no sales).

See above reply to Cov77 re my latest thoughts on the no9.

Nothing to back it up just your opinion then 

Have I missed something in this interview? 

Read this thread before listening so was expecting to hear how Manning had to be told to change his approach, went against what the club wanted etc but I can’t seem to find it?

So was it said? Or have I just interpreted it completely differently!?

Anyway, not a bad interview. Pleased we are continuing with the same approach in terms of recruitment and quite positive about next season if we get the 2 or 3 we need. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, redkev said:

I do agree with what your saying , but I could have all the training in the world but doesn’t mean I could be a professional football player , 

As for getting the job it’s not his fault daddy is a million / billionaire or what ever he is , by no way am I defending him completely as he has made some big mistakes , give criticism to the correct areas of his mistakes not just chuck any sort of criticism at him 

Let's turn it around and ask what has Jon Lansdown  done that he deserves to be congratulated for. I can think of nothing.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Great time to do the interview after the run of results.

Can’t be bothered to listen to it so could someone please confirm if JL put on record an apology to Pearson for the way the situation was handled and his thanks for the work he done for this club?

I haven't listened either. 

But I can still confirm that he didn't.

14 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Prepare to be surprised. We just need someone to leak that Rangers are preparing a £2.5M bid, that gets Celtic involved. Lower ranking EPL clubs then sh1t themselves and someone ends up bidding £5M, and get a bargain.

• Hmmm 1

5 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Again you criticise him for adjusting..  As if that's a crime, surely that's a positive part of a skillset you want to see in a manager of a football club.

You have the benefit of hindsight, Manning didn't. It's easy after the fact to scoff at how things pan out.

The fact is you set your stall out early on him, and you still have a bad taste in your mouth re the board which hardens your stance. You lose your log in details when we win games or go unbeaten. When we lose you set post per hour records on here telling us how bad everything is with Manning, Tins and the board. Someone will pick you up on it and and you'll claim they are picking on you. Rinse and repeat.. it's intolerable.

He adjusted cos his job was on the line and he was told to adjust. 

He came in here with an attitude of his way was the best way (despite it being the opposite of the given brief) he carried on with it. Bored us all to death. 

As a football fan I have every right to speak about our style of play yet you somehow have an issue with a football fan talking about football. Says it all. 

He sacrificed our season for his way when it was plainly clear the squad was not suited to his way. I'm annoyed by that. I of course said from day 1 about his style and our style not matching so it's not with the benefit of hindsight. 

Stop lying mate. It's hard to debate with someone that lies. I'm always active. I'm active now after we won the other day so that's your theory blown out of the water. 

It's the trolling that's intolerable. Its boring. Its tedious. If you don't like my opinions, put me on ignore or scroll past. Very very simple. 

Yes it's absolutely true that I did not think he is the right fit for us and that we are more likely to regress than progress under him. I still hold those views today. Drop the crap about it having anything to do with anything else. It's simply based on that.

Are you OK Ross? You seem to have an issue with me calling out people that have used personal insults against me? 

• Like 4
  • Flames 3
  • Facepalm 3

2 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Prepare to be surprised. We just need someone to leak that Rangers are preparing a £2.5M bid, that gets Celtic involved. Lower ranking EPL clubs then sh1t themselves and someone ends up bidding £5M, and get a bargain.

Conway is worth £10m all day long imo. 

Wrong set up for him at the moment. 

Nonetheless , I would rather have him for another season and him go for nothing than accept less.

After all, we have a ****ing nest egg to fall back on. 

18 minutes ago, redkev said:

I've not just chucked any criticism, I've pointed out his poor communication skills for somebody in a senior position. Those skills can be learned.

The soft skills required of the Chairman of a business are generic in the sense that you need them whatever business you are in. It seems reasonable to expect our Chairman to improve on those skills.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

I've not just chucked any criticism, I've pointed out his poor communication skills for somebody in a senior position. Those skills can be learned.

The soft skills required of the Chairman of a business are generic in the sense that you need them whatever business you are in. It seems reasonable to expect our Chairman to improve on those skills.

But he's a phony chairman. 

Don't need skills if Daddy owns the place.

Particularly if Daddy doesn't have them either.

• Facepalm 1

Just now, The Wild Bunch said:

I found that comment strange plus mentioning when we last had a go before Covid.

Under the last 'project'. 

They never 'have a go' under someone that has 'had a go and done it".

Clowns.

🤡🤡🤡

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'll give it a go although perhaps I'm being overly generous to him.

Build up, build up steadily yet with a clear strategy, with finances more controlled this time then go for it financially when in the best possible 2 year or so period.

You might be right, but I can't help feeling in 2, 4, 6 years time we'll be listening to something equally non committal. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

he was told to adjust.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

9 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Stop lying mate. It's hard to debate with someone that lies.

The irony of that is incredible. 

How on earth do you know he was "told" to adjust? You're just making things up now 🤣

• Like 1

Just now, Tim Monaghan said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

The irony of that is incredible. 

How on earth do you know he was "told" to adjust? You're just making things up now 🤣

I’m seriously starting to question my own sanity now - I’ve listened to it twice and I didn’t hear anything about the board telling him to change or him not suiting the club etc!!

I actually heard quite the opposite!! 🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

Alternatively "I'm not going to repeat the lies I told before".

Exactly and many of us won’t forget it.

I find the arrogance jarring. All it would take it some humility and honesty but no, brush it under the carpet and hope people don’t bring it up again. 

It was a better interview than he normally gives (a very low bar mind you), but I can’t help thinking GT would’ve given him a proper grilling, as he has done in the past. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Jon Lansdown has been incompetent ever since he begun pretty much. Or ineffective at minimum.

Maybe tonight marks a turning point but whether the penny has dropped with Manning, major red flags about the hierarchy still exist.

From speaking to JL a few times in the past, I doubt that very much. Coincidentally, last weekend I was at a party speaking to a senior HL figure who also said how totally inept JL is. The sooner he and the rest of them go, the better IMO.

Edited by tin
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 4