IGNORED

Zach clough

Cobby the red

If this is true and it's us and Wolves, then either we offer an enticing deal which is competative with Wolves or walk away now and not spend too long on this one. Given another club are sniffing around we'll probably miss out again. 

We just need to make sure this doesn't take all of the focus away from other potential deals during this window as per the summer.

9 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

I lived in NZ for 7 years and I have to say the pies there blow those lancs types out of the water, as I often tell them :P

Spot on. Never tasted a pie like a New Zealand pie. 

As for Clough. Clough or Kermogant really is a no brainer. Like others, am worried he may not fancy it but don't get the 'waste of time' responses. Surely we have to go for players of the right calibre to take this club forward not settle for players not good enough just because they'd be more likely to come. My Walsall friends don't really rate Bradshaw at all and as was discussed on another thread in the summer, Wes is preferred to him in the Wales set up, suggesting we already have the better option out of those two. I'm all up for Cotts to keep going for Gayles,  Greys amd Cloughs and just hope we land one sooner rather than later. 

7 hours ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

If you are a struggling business and you are selling your best asset, do you sell it to the highest or lowest bidder? Regardless of who is buying

Unfortunately though if the player doesn't want to sign for a club (presume us in this case) then  all the selling club can do, is try to persuade the player or tell the other club involved to match the price - which they may not be willing to do.

If these stories are true and that it is currently between us and Wolves, then we may well lose out. As a young player who has been at the club since the age of 8 (I think I read last night), who's family and friends are all in Bolton, uprooting is not going to be an easy choice for him. Wolves are closer to home, ex premiership team, better league standing - may make them more attractive.

Rose tinted glasses on though, I'd prefer to live in Bristol, small squad may make making an impact easier, new stadium and money in the club. Also wouldn't blame him for insisting a release clause - whether that be relegation and/or minimum fee release.

I don't think he will sign for us, but never say never.

If Wolves don't match the bid initially then he might not get a chance.. However given Boltons situation this could be against us as they can sit and wait till they get more desperate and bid lower knowing they will accept.

1 minute ago, Tomarse said:

If Wolves don't match the bid initially then he might not get a chance.. However given Boltons situation this could be against us as they can sit and wait till they get more desperate and bid lower knowing they will accept.

If they have no other source of cash on the horizon I can see a highly pressurised sob story from Bolton to the player. Poor lad. 

17 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Plenty of tweets from Stockhausen on this this morning, but no mention of Wolves.

No doubt some will conclude from this that Wolves are now nailed-on, but I'm still very hopeful.

Plenty of info on this thread here where he's got all his details from

30 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

If they have no other source of cash on the horizon I can see a highly pressurised sob story from Bolton to the player. Poor lad. 

..and do we want to sign a player who has no real desire to be here. Our officials need to show him the good bits of the city and our club this weekend if he is down for talks 

I'm not sure that it'll come down to the highest bidder for Bolton to accept. It'll more likely come down to who offers them most up front. We may be offering £3m, but if that's only, for example, £1m up front and the rest in incentives and staged payments over three years then a straight up bid of £2m would be much more preferable to them as they need the money quickly.

And then of course as others have said, it's down to the player to be convinced.

10 hours ago, ten minutes of rough said:

Much better club......Really who do you actually support?

Ok swap bigger for better but you knew what I meant...the fact that a number of premier league teams have him regularly watched as well as top end championship teams means that I think we are near the bottom end of desirable options for clough. However it depends how desperately Bolton need to sell, they need the cash and he is their most valuable commodity, if no one else wants to take the chance then it could happen

for what it's worth I hope this comes off possibly more than the two in the summer, a good friend is a bwfc season ticket holder and says clough is the real deal.

1 minute ago, Tomarse said:

..and do we want to sign a player who has no real desire to be here. Our officials need to show him the good bits of the city and our club this weekend if he is down for talks 

My missus will have a chat with lad if needed. She's from the same neck of the woods and will confirm that Bolton is, by comparison,  a dump and she never wants to return there. 

He can bring his Peter Kay DVD collection and we'll say no more about it. 

4 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

get a top nob flat ready down the marina and get the team back early tonight so they can take him into town. Add a few scantily clad birdies,convincing done before they talk wages??

Or maybe show him around the more cultured parts of Southmead, St Pauls and Knowle

Then get him hammered on some of our finest sparkling apple, 8 or 9 pints should do it, he may need to be forewarned regarding potential sharting accidents of course

He may also need an interpreter to help with our fast talking westcountry chatter

Maybe a trip to City Road to finish the evening off............

He'll f##king love it here

COYR :yawn:

Just now, Goatlover69 said:

Or maybe show him around the more cultured parts of Southmead, St Pauls and Knowle

Then get him hammered on some of our finest sparkling apple, 8 or 9 pints should do it, he may need to be forewarned regarding potential sharting accidents of course

He may also need an interpreter to help with our fast talking westcountry chatter

Maybe a trip to City Road to finish the evening off............

He'll f##king love it here

COYR :yawn:

Even the nicest house has a refuse bin :ph34r:

Even if we do end up getting pipped by Wolves, at least we're going for it early, as we should.

Plus, perhaps it's a distraction for our actually bid for Russell, as if that particular Twitter is reliable, didn't it also say we were in for him?

Would be more than happy with either.

Controversially I'm much keener that we bring in Kermorgant right now anyway, getting a 20 year old with just 20 games under his belt (and just 3 goals this season) is all well and good for the future, but a guy who admittedly at 34 is two years older that I'd like, (but scored 17 at this level last year) is far more likely to me to make a greater contribution for us in our last twenty games.

If Kermorgant can do what Wilbraham did last year that £500k will pay for itself soon enough.

With Bournemouth offering £10m for Afobe he'll be off somewhere next week too.

If Clough says "no" we should bring in Nichols of Exeter at a quarter of the price, once he's played at Anfield..

Still need at least two or three others even if both of them sign.

12 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Controversially I'm much keener that we bring in Kermorgant right now anyway, getting a 20 year old with just 20 games under his belt (and just 3 goals this season) is all well and good for the future, but a guy who admittedly at 34 is two years older that I'd like, (but scored 17 at this level last year) is far more likely to me to make a greater contribution for us in our last twenty games.

If Kermorgant can do what Wilbraham did last year that £500k will pay for itself soon enough.

With Bournemouth offering £10m for Afobe he'll be off somewhere next week too.

If Clough says "no" we should bring in Nichols of Exeter at a quarter of the price, once he's played at Anfield..

Still need at least two or three others even if both of them sign.

I think Kernorgant will be signed this month, whether that's on loan or a permanent transfer. Personally think this was all done in the summer but tine ran out. 

Personally even we sign Cough and judging by what Bolton's financial position is a real possibility I would still look to sign Nichols, even loan him back to Exeter tie the season?

Reading between the lines, it seems there's one massive positive and one massive negative.  The massive positive is he's out the FA cup squad tomorrow which clearly means Bolton expect him to be negotiating with someone.  The massive negative is that the fact this news has leaked strongly suggests - as with Gayle and Gray - his agent wants to alert other clubs.

My guess is, at the moment, we are the only offer on the table but the agent is alerting other clubs to try and get them to match it.  It all comes down to whether other interested parties want to spend the money now or hold out for other targets later in the window.

Archived