IGNORED

The Nicky Maynard Thread (Merged)

oldfield

A 2m bid from Leicester is letting City and Maynnards agent know of their interest, nothing more.Its not a serious bid. If Maynard himself shows even the slightest interest then they would at least double that, probably in instalments. The problem with any potential transfer is when the player wants to move. Its harder then to get top value for money.

Millen has said many times that Maynard is happy at City and it would be very surprising if he would want to move to another Championship outfit. That said, with another club knocking on the door his bargaining power with City becomes greater with his negotiations over signing a new deal.

How many times do players declare their undying love for a club one day then walk out the next? I ask myself the same question of footballers as Jeremy Paxman asks himself when he interviews politicians:: Why is this lying B*****d lying to me? :innocent06:

Sell-on clauses are always based on profit. There would be no point to them otherwise.

They are not always based on profit. Some are based on a percentage of overall fee and others on profit. That article does seem to suggest that it is a percentage of overall fee. That worries me, as it means that we will get much less. :(

Picked up some info, 'Maynard likely to go, we're in for Ranger/Perch from Newcastle on loan'

If true then would take Ranger even though he may have a naughty side.. Young aswell so we can make money on him with any luck.

However lets see if Maynard goes first......

Anything less than 5 million should be chucked out,keep him make him honour his contract,get into playoffs,get promotion he will stay.if he does not perform nobody would want him anyway catch 22.

How many decried my comments last season regards maynard wanting out,the guy wants to go to the prem,we would all want too if we were good enough, it is natural progression for any player to get to the highest standard possible.

But lets make sure he does it with city, if the club wants to keep players like maynard, they have to show real ambition, and drive for top players to stay..

2 million should not buy his left leg.

Well said.

If you look at all the articles everyone is talking about him being a 'risk' due to his injury hence the low bid which apparently never came anyway. The way i see it if you keep him to January he is either; injured again so will bite our hand off at a new contract, playing at his best and will attract a lot more attention from multiple clubs hoping to get him for the second half of the season (we all know from last year what silly money people will spend in Jan! No sensible deals) or having a bad season in which case again nobody will be interested so likely to sign a new deal. I would say the only one to worry about would be the 3rd option where he may decided to go free agent rather than a new deal but all we can do is wait.

As someone else said earlier, I would rather keep him for one more season, which could be memorable, and let him leave for nothing than accept such a derisory fee.

Let's be clear, though, even if we assume this offer has been made (which Adam denies) then it's testing the water, and there's no way on earth we would sell him for £2m

WE BOUGHT HIM FOR £2.5M!

No we never, take £250,00 or a bit of that's what we paid for him and we paid over the price for him, hope his Mum is still advising him not a dirty cash generating agent, but as a footballer you need to maximize your earnings in a 15 year career, good luck to Maynard if he goes at 35 he can't demand £10,000 aweek.

Said all along that we would be lucky to get our money back...

Sad but thats the way it is with purchased starlets - especialy if you pay 2.2m for them in first place!

Anyone expecting more than this under these circumstances is in dreamland!

No

We can say what fee we want.

The Gash always hold out for what they want and get it.

the papers are going on what forums are saying there is no truth in any of this its like when we got the owen rumour into the daily mail and evening post

Adam Baker has come out and said we have had no bid for maynard and I for one believe him over anything these gloryified jaz mags say,

We haven't slapped any price on maynard as he is not for sale

WE BOUGHT HIM FOR £2.5M!

Yes. what a joke. Are Leicester seriuos? Or is it only silly season?

£2.25m but yeah, it's ridiculous.

OK so the first one is a little out - either way prices go up and prices go down - the market for footballers isnt as well-oiled as it was back then.

But when will people realise that the amount you pay for something (anything) bares no relation to the amount you can then sell it for?

Its a bit like buying a car or house and saying well i bought it for 20k 2 years ago so I want 50k despite doing nothing but a lick of paint or putting it through an MOT i.e. maintenance costs! iirc Maynard had a few years to run at Crew plus his future improvements and the fact we were desperate were factored into the deal by Crew which is why we paid 2.5m - the buying club this time around wont be in the same possition simply because he only has 1 year left on his contract - most dont seem desperate for strikers either ATM and like I already said his future improvements have already been factored in to the original deal and we are 2 years on so the fure improvement are 2 years progressed so less.

IMHO all offers should be listened to but I would put his worth to the club in between 4 and 5 million -just for the fact that he alone offers a slightly higher chance of making it to the prem but the ammount we paid doesnt come in to the equasion at all.

But when will people realise that the amount you pay for something (anything) bares no relation to the amount you can then sell it for?

Nobody is suggesting that the buying price affects the selling price. The obvious logic here is that given the player has improved and demonstrated ability at a higher level, he is worth more than he was before that. And he was worth £2.25m before that. It's rather silly of any buyer to think they would sell for less than significantly more than that figure.

The obvious logic here is that given the player has improved and demonstrated ability at a higher level, he is worth more than he was before that. And he was worth £2.25m before that.

Isn't that the problem though, you're approaching it through logic rather than reality.

Month or so ago I'd have completely agreed with you, and still to some extent do, but if we use the theory that he wants out and won't sign a new deal, £5 million is incredibly optimistic.

So you then are left with the dilemma - do we keep an 'unhappy' player, get what we can from him and then lose on a free, or do we take what we know is undervalue but, quite simply, the best we can get. And I'd hazard that is around £3.5-4 million with add ons plus healthy sell on fee.

The clubs situation needs to be factored in too. If there were a chance his goals could spearhead a promotion or survival campaign you perhaps have s different outlook.

In reality, with or without a happy Maynard, we'll probably finish comfortably mid table with Pittman getting 12-15, which will represent an acceptable season.

It's not right and it's not especially fair, but it would seem the club are very close to a 'let's get the best we can for him' position.

Nobody is suggesting that the buying price affects the selling price. The obvious logic here is that given the player has improved and demonstrated ability at a higher level, he is worth more than he was before that. And he was worth £2.25m before that. It's rather silly of any buyer to think they would sell for less than significantly more than that figure.

Leicester are testing the water, they know he still has not signed a new contract and his agent will have sent feeders out to clubs, with the descision with the stadium i would like Guy Price or Colin Sexstone to let us know what is happening with Maynard, by no new news of him signing a new contract i think he is going.

Leicester are testing the water, they know he still has not signed a new contract and his agent will have sent feeders out to clubs, with the descision with the stadium i would like Guy Price or Colin Sexstone to let us know what is happening with Maynard, by no new news of him signing a new contract i think he is going.

they did 2 weeks ago and as the players don't report back until july 1st he doesn't have to anwser until then,

they did 2 weeks ago and as the players don't report back until july 1st he doesn't have to anwser until then,

Understand your point, but like i said i think he is going. The sooner this is sorted the better for the club imo, by the clubs statements they are trying very hard to keep him but if somebody wants to leave let them, Maynard seems a genuine nice guy, he ran to the physio after scoring his first goal back after injury but the more weeks go by and no extension on the contract i worry. July 1st we will see.

Understand your point, but like i said i think he is going. The sooner this is sorted the better for the club imo, by the clubs statements they are trying very hard to keep him but if somebody wants to leave let them, Maynard seems a genuine nice guy, he ran to the physio after scoring his first goal back after injury but the more weeks go by and no extension on the contract i worry. July 1st we will see.

but the club don't do their buisness in the media and nore should it just wait

Isn't that the problem though, you're approaching it through logic rather than reality.

No, that's not the problem. Approaching it logically is all that makes sense.

The problem is speculation. You can if and but and maybe all you like, but until the club know whether Maynard will sign or not they will laugh off offers that are less than £5-6m.

So they should, because they will know whether he is to sign or not well before the window ends, at which point they can act logically based on facts.

Regardless, accepting a derisory bid is never going to be sensible or realistic, we'd be better off keeping him and he can console himself with the fact that he can have double wages when he moves on a free.

I doubt very much they made a bid, they've no need to test the water with derisory offers as it doesn't tell them anything they didn't already know.

The problem is speculation. You can if and but and maybe all you like, but until the club know whether Maynard will sign or not they will laugh off offers that are less than £5-6m.

So they should, because they will know whether he is to sign or not well before the window ends, at which point they can act logically based on facts.

Yep, agree with that.

Regardless, accepting a derisory bid is never going to be sensible or realistic, we'd be better off keeping him and he can console himself with the fact that he can have double wages when he moves on a free.

So to be clear, if Maynard came out and said 'I wont be signing a new deal, im looking to further my career, ideally to the top flight', you'd reject anything you considered 'derisory' (£5 million being that benchmark?) and keep an unhappy player on the books, knowing full well he'll leave on a free at the end of the season?

So to be clear, if Maynard came out and said 'I wont be signing a new deal, im looking to further my career, ideally to the top flight', you'd reject anything you considered 'derisory' (£5 million being that benchmark?) and keep an unhappy player on the books, knowing full well he'll leave on a free at the end of the season?

This would be complete madness as we all know. If he wants out then so be it, we look to get as much as possible in this window, unfortunately its starting to look like any sort of profit is going to be a bonus so we are going to have to take what we can get. The club cannot fart about with this as Maynard really and truthfully is the biggest asset BCFC own barring AG itself and losing him for free next summer would be a disaster.

The ideal scenario of course would be to make him sign a whopping gert contract and if he does then go we wll make the big profit we all want. But honestly if that was going to be the case imo he would have signed by now. I have the feeling he does want out so IMO 4 million and over and we should sell.Why take the risk?

With you, respect, hope he gets 25 goals for us next season he gives himself high challenges hope this happens.

no worries we're all frustrated about it we have to just be patient what I can say in fact and no one can dispute this is one of three things is going to happen

1. Nicky signs a new contract and we will sell him for alot of money if we fail to win promotion in the next few season (for me this is the most likely)

2. Nicky refuses to sign and City stick him on the transfer list and we sell him for 2 - 4 million

3. Nicky refuses to sign we hold onto him and he goes to Everton for a free at the end of this coming season (sub Eveton for any club you feel)

So really we need to draw a line under it until one of the above happens and stop the badgering of nicky slagging of of keef/club and posting the non storys that are taken off various forums and printed in the red tops,

Not getting at anyone just we all know the score and leave it at that

No, £2-3m is derisory, £5m is what I'd expect to get given the interest there should be. I would do my best to play clubs off against each other until I'd got a package that was at that level.

If it came down to a choice between accepting £3m or not, I'd keep him until January at least, then see which Prem club is desperate for goals.

No, £2-3m is derisory, £5m is what I'd expect to get given the interest there should be. I would do my best to play clubs off against each other until I'd got a package that was at that level.

If it came down to a choice between accepting £3m or not, I'd keep him until January at least, then see which Prem club is desperate for goals.

[/quote

Keep him to January agree, but the longer he doesn't sign a new contract he becomes a free agent the less we can ask for him, like i have said previously hope his Mum is advising him and he signs an extension then we will get at least £5m, Sextones and Price first big decision between them hope it works out right.

Archived