IGNORED

Carey Farewell

nickolas

I understand Louis was told, just today, that tomorrow's game will be his last.

Its a shame if true, a magnificent servant to our club and perhaps deserves more than a last farewell at Burnley.

Will be sad to see Louis not in a city shirt but i suppose these things happen.

Congrats on 600+ appearances Louis.

I understand Louis was told, just today, that tomorrow's game will be his last.

Its a shame if true, a magnificent servant to our club and perhaps deserves more than a last farewell at Burnley.

Will be sad to see Louis not in a city shirt but i suppose these things happen.

Congrats on 600+ appearances Louis.

I hope that's wrong. How do you know that?

I await the usual 'source' rubbish but was told by my mate who works at the club. Quite how he knows i dont know but always worth a topic on here!!

Fair enough. I ain't gonna argue, if that's what you been told that's what you been told. I think Carey has been good when he's played this season. I'd keep him. I know people will say about money but if I was cutting costs in the squad, Carey certainly wouldn't be at the top of my list of people to axe.

Fair enough. I ain't gonna argue, if that's what you been told that's what you been told. I think Carey has been good when he's played this season. I'd keep him. I know people will say about money but if I was cutting costs in the squad, Carey certainly wouldn't be at the top of my list of people to axe.

I'd keep him one more year. Great squad player. Loves the club, has pride n passion and would be a great sub at the least. We will keep worse players this year!!

If true then it is absolutely the right decision and that is not meant in anyway to be disrepectful to Louis, for he has been an excellent servant to the club. If you are leaving then thank you Louis for some exceptional performances and commitment over the years and particularly for some great recent performances to help us stave off relegation. It is though now time to rebuild the playing squad and to keep Louis on would be in my opinion an error of judgement. We can no longer be governed by sentimentality and must build a young, yet balanced team capable of challenging next term. Thank again Louis, if indeed this information is correct.

If he has been advised in advance of the final game this seems to be good man management and very respectful, enabling Louis to at least know what is his final game.

If true then it is absolutely the right decision and that is not meant in anyway to be disrepectful to Louis, for he has been an excellent servant to the club. If you are leaving then thank you Louis for some exceptional performances and commitment over the years and particularly for some great recent performances to help us stave off relegation. It is though now time to rebuild the playing squad and to keep Louis on would be in my opinion an error of judgement. We can no longer be governed by sentimentality and must build a young, yet balanced team capable of challenging next term. Thank again Louis, if indeed this information is correct.

If he has been advised in advance of the final game this seems to be good man management and very respectful, enabling Louis to at least know what is his final game.

Agree 100%

Spot on. Great post

Totally agree

Can't deny he's been a great servant (barring his short stint at Cov) but, yes, I think at some point his career here has to finish in a dignified manner. And I think it's right that that time is now.

It also shows, as mentioned above, that Del is (i) good at the "people" side of the job as well as (ii) knowing that sentiment alone isn't enough to justify another 12 months on the playing staff. The question surely must be, would we sign Carey for 12m if he was being released by another club? No must be the answer, so for me it's thanks for the memories Louis and all the best - in 2 or 3 years time he could be our kitman!!!

Everytime I hear the words, or anything along the lines of 'my mate who works at the club' or 'from someone who knows someone' I straight away think its rubbish. Just like back in the summer. 'My mate works down the club and maynards definitly guna sign a contract monday. I dont believe this is true, fully expect him to be given a new contract in some way or form.

Thank you Louis and well done, an excellent servant to the club. Could have done another year in my view.

Hope he turns up at Exeter or Torquay, so I can nip down and watch him play!

Am I correct in remembering his first goal at Swansea after about 200 appearances!

But the side wasn't "governed by sentimentality" in extending Louis's contract this season - despite loads here decrying that situation.

We needed Louis when he played. He hadn't been first choice but his performances forced his way back into contention and he put to shame "defenders" a decade his junior.

As he was our second best defender this season, I'd be sad if there is any truth in this rumour.

I'm trying to think when he made is debut, i think it was about October 1995

Anyone know the answer ??

yes I was at his debut at York, I was in the home end with a York supporting mate and remember being impressed by the youngster's debut.

A great servant, there were times when if Louis wasn't playing because of injury then we knew we were going to struggle, he was that important.

Good luck to him for the future.

If true its the right decision. McInnes will be building a new team in this new era and it doesn't look as if Carey at 35 and increasingly injury prone is going to be part of the playing squad. Disapointing for him but fact is all players have to retire at some point and if Louis struggles with it he has his mate Scott Murray to support him.

Personally I reckon he's got another season or two in him but not in the Championship. Whether he wants to drop a league or two is another question.

Archived