IGNORED

Carey Farewell

nickolas

I think Louis is thanked every time he pulls on the jersey. He gets cheered when his name is called out, he gets thanked when he's substituted and at the end of the games.

If people think he deserves an entire game dedicated to his memory, i think that's a bit OTT. Since I bet he's hanging around the club for years to come.

He did stay at the club because he couldn't settle elsewhere, it's not as if he turned down multiple offers to go. (as far as we know)

Nice bloke, thanks for the service. That's enough for me.

Read any article about any testimonial for about the last 10 years.

Well with a few notable exceptions, I cannot recall very many at all, in fact I seem to recall a bit of a furore about Ryan Giggs pocketing the testimonial money not long after Niall Quinn had donated all of his to charity.

So will Gerry Gow's testimonial money go to charity?.

If it's true as it appears to be, all I want to say is.....

Thakyou Louis for some great memories and whole hearted performances over the years. Good luck in whatever you decide to do next.

The place won't be the same without you.

IF this is true, then personally I think this should have been announced before now so that fans could have had a chance to say thank you. Maybe it wasnt announced before the last home game because of what was at stake? Pass..

I think Louis is worth keeping for another year, he has been immense this season and would be a good bloke to have on the bench at least.

If he doesnt play again, then thank you Louis for all you have done, you have been a pleasure to watch and I just hope we find someone who carries on where you have left off and shows the same desire on the pitch for Bristol City.

Louis Carey - Bristol City Legend.

Can't believe some people on here. Louis is a BCFC legend. He has the second highest amount of appearances for the club. On numerous occasions this season he has been fantastic. Gutted if he is going, think he deserves another year on pay as you play and a coaching role.

Yannick, Stead, Bryan, Jackson, Wood and Plummer have all tweeted only one Louis Carey.

Good luck to him for whatever he does now, maybe it is just about time for him to go.

Maybe him and Murray will have a testimonial for charity?

Great service to the club deserves to be roundly applauded.

If this is as it appears, its a shame we did not know on our last home game. Can see why it was not shared as the result was key, and we did not want anything detracting from that, but in a perfect world would have been nice to have had a wave off at AG.

Can I just say when I posted about a testimonial, I didn't for a minute mean all the money going to LC.

I thought all these games nowadays in the top divisions, the money went to charity.

I just a meant a game where we would have a chance to say goodbye to him and maybe other players and raise some money for a good cause.

Sorry if I upset some delicate people on here if I gave the wrong impression.

Because my opinion is different to yours?

Carey has been a professional footballer for around 18 years and in that time would have earned a substancial amount of money, particularly the last few seasons as captain. He'll have PFA pension, and never need to work again should he choose not to.

Why should he ( or any similair player) have a testimonial where ordinary fans on ordinary wages cough up their own dosh that go straight into Carey's already substancial bank account? Its morally wrong.

If you want to give the already weathy Louis Carey money then feel free to do so.

Testimonials are fine when money raised go charity just as it did in the case of Niall Quinn.

The same as you say that's its your opinion, it's also your choice NOT to go to any testimonial.

If other people do want one,and do want to go that's there choice.

Great service to the club deserves to be roundly applauded.

If this is as it appears, its a shame we did not know on our last home game. Can see why it was not shared as the result was key, and we did not want anything detracting from that, but in a perfect world would have been nice to have had a wave off at AG.

I'm sure they'll bring him out on the pitch next season. Providing he isn't busy playing for Cheltenham, Exeter or wherever....

Solskjaer, Carragher, Tinnion, Legg, the lad who played 700 odd games for Burnley - Alexander is it? Shearer, john kennedy, Niall Quinn, Gary Kelly.

That's just on one page of Google...

But still you keep up with the idea that every player keeps the money from his testimonial...

I actually said "Well with a few notable exceptions",and I stand by that, i'd love a link to Tinnion and charitable testimonial.

I cannot help thinking that an opportunity might have been missed here, surely the GFA had they been asked would have put off the Gloucester cup final for a week and played it AG and billed it as Carey's farewell, money shared by the GFA and charities and with a City win Louis's goodbye would have been a fitting lifting of a trophy, just a thought.

Archived