IGNORED

Carey Farewell

nickolas

And the prize for turning a celebration of the 17 years of joy given by a Bristol City legend into a bitter and negative diatribe goes to..........

Just pointing out that should Carey retire after 17 years ( minus 8 months ) that he won't be broke.

And.......watching him as I have for his entire City career I wouldn't say it was 'a joy' the whole time. Under Tinnion in particular all Carey did was hoof the ball again, again and again. I even mentioned it to Tinnion.........and he couldn't explain it.

Carey's been at City a long time and because of that he's a legend in the eyes of some. Lets face it he's been a decent defender but not exactly top drawer.

Gerry Gow is a legend. We still talk about him 30 years after he left City. No-one will be talking about Carey in 2042, unless he's City's manager by then.

Between approx 400k and 500k per year for the last 5 years or so equals 2.5m plus whatever he earned the 12 years before that. Of course he'll never need to work again if he chooses not to.

Don't forget his PFA pension either.

As I said earlier should Carey blow all his money then he'd have to do what most 35 year old blokes would do - get a job. Tom Richie was working as a postman for example. Geoff Merrick runs his own contracting buisness,

You really don't seem to have any idea just how lucrative being a pro footballer is in the PL and Championship.

You just don't do maths do you? What the flying Frig has Prem wages got to do with a guy that had played 70% of his career outside the top two divisions?

Tell you what. You take your pathetic petty jealousy of the wages earned by players who entertain us, stick £10 in the poor pot, and let those of us who want to thank the second highest appearance BCFC player say, or pay, what we want.

I'm pretty glad Im not at the receiving end of a leaving gift from the office/factory/dole queue that you turn up at day in, day out, as I suspect I would be mightily disappointed at your chip in..

On the plus side, I'd clearly not be working with you going forward..so it wouldn't all be bad news.

Just pointing out that should Carey retire after 17 years ( minus 8 months ) that he won't be broke.

And.......watching him as I have for his entire City career I wouldn't say it was 'a joy' the whole time. Under Tinnion in particular all Carey did was hoof the ball again, again and again. I even mentioned it to Tinnion.........and he couldn't explain it.

Carey's been at City a long time and because of that he's a legend in the eyes of some. Lets face it he's been a decent defender but not exactly top drawer.

Gerry Gow is a legend. We still talk about him 30 years after he left City. No-one will be talking about Carey in 2042, unless he's City's manager by then.

Fair play Robbo. After Millen got the boot, you ran out of things to troll with and ran out of "fishing" ideas

Good to see you back on form......

Could I make a small request?

Leave this thread now, you're creating arguments that simply don't need to be had on a thread to say thanks to one of the most decorated (in terms of caps) players in this clubs history.

He is a legend for far more than just the number of appearances and your presence and persistence is no longer, in my opinion, welcome.

Drop it, like a real man.

Jordan, Louis Carey will read this thread with pride knowing that all bar one City fan would simply like to express their appreciation and support for a player who served this club with pride, passion and commitment over such a long period.

Its a bit like when you go to a restaurant and have a good meal and receive good service. We have paid for that meal and we have paid for that good service, so we owe them nothing. Nevertheless the overwhelming majority of us smile at the waiter or waitress and say thankyou as we leave, and we might even leave an aditional tip - but there is always one out of a million stingy miserable bastard that will find something to complain about and not weigh in with their fair share of the bill.

645 - John Atyeo (1951-66)

603 - Louis Carey (1995-2004; 2005-present)

581 - Trevor Tainton (1967-82)

551 - Brian Tinnion (1993-2005)

504 - Tom Ritchie (1972-81; 1983-85)

A) no one will ever over take him in appearances

B) that list all still get talked about

C) ergo, he will be talked about.

Interestingly, Gerry Gow doesn't appear In that top 5. Perhaps leaving quickly after just one relegation explains that.

600 appearances and won't be mentioned...are you joking??

603 - Louis Carey (1995-2004; 2005-present)

Interestingly, Gerry Gow doesn't appear In that top 5. Perhaps leaving quickly after just one relegation explains that.

As posted in the thread a few pages back Carey is on 625 now.. Very impressive..

• Admin

Between approx 400k and 500k per year for the last 5 years or so equals 2.5m plus whatever he earned the 12 years before that. Of course he'll never need to work again if he chooses not to.

Don't forget his PFA pension either.

As I said earlier should Carey blow all his money then he'd have to do what most 35 year old blokes would do - get a job. Tom Richie was working as a postman for example. Geoff Merrick runs his own contracting buisness,

You really don't seem to have any idea just how lucrative being a pro footballer is in the PL and Championship.

One thing I'd mention. Income Tax. He's VERY unlikely to have taken that amount AFTER tax.

Sometimes you talk a lot of sense. Most of the time, you post utter dross!

Louis Louis Louis.

If this is the end - I'd just like to show my appreciation to a true Bristol City LEGEND.

Thanks for the great memories Louis.

It's been a privilege having a Bristol boy and City fan representing our club with real passion, and ability. You have been a key part of my following City and it's been a pleasure knowing that the great moments have meant as much to you as they do to us.

Carey has still got it, he will be missed.

A Bristol City without Louis will take some getting used to.

Could I make a small request?

Leave this thread now, you're creating arguments that simply don't need to be had on a thread to say thanks to one of the most decorated (in terms of caps) players in this clubs history.

He is a legend for far more than just the number of appearances and your presence and persistence is no longer, in my opinion, welcome.

Drop it, like a real man.

Or, to put it on simple terms that even you will understand - **** off, Robbo.

Louis Louis Louis.

If this is the end - I'd just like to show my appreciation to a true Bristol City LEGEND.

Thanks for the great memories Louis.

It's been a privilege having a Bristol boy and City fan representing our club with real passion, and ability. You have been a key part of my following City and it's been a pleasure knowing that the great moments have meant as much to you as they do to us.

Carey has still got it, he will be missed.

A Bristol City without Louis will take some getting used to.

Indeed it will. I will remember him just as I remember other City stalwarts through the years, Atyeo, Thresher, Gow, Cheesley, Merrick and all the others. God willing, I will certainly remember him in 2042 (if I should live that long).

603 - Louis Carey (1995-2004; 2005-present)

At least attempt to get your facts right whilst trying to insinuate something that is plainly untrue just to try to prove your point, the last sentence is just a complete lie and a slur on a true legend and totally out of order.

Especially as a testimonial and it's proceeds will actually be of benefit to Gerry Gow and his standard of living, whereas for Louis (who is a great legend) it will be just more money to add to his personal wealth.

At least attempt to get your facts right whilst trying to insinuate something that is plainly untrue just to try to prove your point, the last sentence is just a complete lie and a slur on a true legend and totally out of order.

Especially as a testimonial and it's proceeds will actually be of benefit to Gerry Gow and his standard of living, whereas for Louis (who is a great legend) it will be just more money to add to his personal wealth.

Of course. Which fact would you like me to correct? The appearances come from the official website, clearly a few out of date, my apologies for lacking detail.

Gerry Gow, who incidentally is one of my all time City heroes, not least for chasing (I believe) Bryan Flynn round the asphalt at the gate in order to lay one on him, left in October 1980. This was our first season back after Division 1. From memory (again, please correct me) we suffered no relegation from the time Gerry Gow made his debut at 17, until he left in the same year that we were relegated from Div 1. Hence my statement.

Now, of course, you have every right to question my dubious statistical tactics in countering Robbos ridiculous accusations that Carey leaving for Coventry was some kind of mercenary betrayal that cheapened his 600 plus appearances, however, don't call me a liar.

This topic was about Louis Carey. Robbo, and others, decided to hijack it with some crap about Carey not being fit to lace the boots of our 70's legends and naming Gow specifically (him, not me) For that reason, I chose to challenge him. You may not like the manner, or the inference, but that's life.

Incidentally, if you want my opinion (which you don't) then I am delighted efforts are being made to assist ANY former player who has the need, however, how about a shout for John Shaw? A man whose health suffered as a direct consequence of our clubs misfortune, a man who played in all 4 divisions, a man who left Bristol City when he no longer had a job, not when he wanted, and a man that I suspect has never been invited to step back to BS3 since his all star studded testimonial versus a WBA X1 in 1985.

There are a lot of former players who have not benefitted from the absurd riches now available to players, but stating the facts doesnt in any way diminish his (GG) contribution to MY football club, nor take away from efforts to reward those endeavours.

Of course. Which fact would you like me to correct? The appearances come from the official website, clearly a few out of date, my apologies for lacking detail.

Gerry Gow, who incidentally is one of my all time City heroes, not least for chasing (I believe) Bryan Flynn round the asphalt at the gate in order to lay one on him, left in October 1980. This was our first season back after Division 1. From memory (again, please correct me) we suffered no relegation from the time Gerry Gow made his debut at 17, until he left in the same year that we were relegated from Div 1. Hence my statement.

Now, of course, you have every right to question my dubious statistical tactics in countering Robbos ridiculous accusations that Carey leaving for Coventry was some kind of mercenary betrayal that cheapened his 600 plus appearances, however, don't call me a liar.

This topic was about Louis Carey. Robbo, and others, decided to hijack it with some crap about Carey not being fit to lace the boots of our 70's legends and naming Gow specifically (him, not me) For that reason, I chose to challenge him. You may not like the manner, or the inference, but that's life.

Incidentally, if you want my opinion (which you don't) then I am delighted efforts are being made to assist ANY former player who has the need, however, how about a shout for John Shaw? A man whose health suffered as a direct consequence of our clubs misfortune, a man who played in all 4 divisions, a man who left Bristol City when he no longer had a job, not when he wanted, and a man that I suspect has never been invited to step back to BS3 since his all star studded testimonial versus a WBA X1 in 1985.

There are a lot of former players who have not benefitted from the absurd riches now available to players, but stating the facts doesnt in any way diminish his (GG) contribution to MY football club, nor take away from efforts to reward those endeavours.

What I object to is the inference that Gerry Gow couldn't wait to leave because of our relegation, the club urgently needed funds and he along with Tom Ritchie and Clive Whitehead were amongst our more saleable assets, as I understand it he didn't really want to leave and yes you are correct this is a thread about Louis Carey and the fact that he is a BCFC legend of that there is no doubt whatsoever and I have yet to see one post denying that fact.

However as in life and especially in football there seem to be 2 points of view reference a testimonial match for Louis, it might be worth reading the thread a bit more to actually see from what side all of the unnecessary abuse is coming from, I have always believed that everybody is entitled to their view on any matter whatsoever, but the norm on this forum is if your view is at odds with the majority then it makes you fair game for abuse, I have very rarely agreed much with RR in fact I find some of his posts bizarre but the abuse he is receiving over his view reference a testimonial is out of order, but typical.

What I object to is the inference that Gerry Gow couldn't wait to leave because of our relegation, the club urgently needed funds and he along with Tom Ritchie and Clive Whitehead were amongst our more saleable assets, as I understand it he didn't really want to leave and yes you are correct this is a thread about Louis Carey and the fact that he is a BCFC legend of that there is no doubt whatsoever and I have yet to see one post denying that fact.

However as in life and especially in football there seem to be 2 points of view reference a testimonial match for Louis, it might be worth reading the thread a bit more to actually see from what side all of the unnecessary abuse is coming from, I have always believed that everybody is entitled to their view on any matter whatsoever, but the norm on this forum is if your view is at odds with the majority then it makes you fair game for abuse, I have very rarely agreed much with RR in fact I find some of his posts bizarre but the abuse he is receiving over his view reference a testimonial is out of order, but typical.

Whilst respecting your opinion fully, I would suggest that you re-read this whole thread, and see where I came into it regarding Robbis posts.

Would you not suggest somebody saying that "no one will be talking about Carey in 30 years, unlike Gerry Gow" was infanct suggesting he was not a legend?

I have abused nobody, certainly not Robbo. I have simply stated facts. He decided to tell me to "get real" whilst you decide to call me a liar. It's for those reasons that people get abuse, not for stating facts.

People have opinions, facts exist, anyone can post the former, but ultimately it's the latter that cannot be challenged, whatever inference you choose to extract.

I dont think Carey will be going anywhere. Feel sure he'll be offered a further year. He may not play too many games but his experience and presence in the changing room is invaluable.

Talk around the camp fire is that Carey has already been told that he won't be offered a new contract. Hence this 'love in' of a thread.

the tears at the end of the Burnley match tell its own story.

I have always liked Carey unlike some posters on here.

he still has it in him albeit not over 46 matches and that is the plain reality.

I've got to say the way he came in after being out for so long and constantly picking fat boy Lambert's pocket away at St Marys was truly a master class in defending

Surely your club should be weary of being sentimental post-Tinnion and Millen?

Carey takes a coaching role -----> One day McInnes will leave -----> Carey will become manager -----> It will all end in tears -----> Leaves under a cloud -----> Repeat.

Carey won't become a coach here. McInnes would not have it. His post match interview vs Barnsley on the pitch for me, said so much about what he wants to do here.

Regards Carey, it's simple

Is Carey good enough to be given a new contract? No

Should he have one? No

Will he get one? No

Does he deserve a testimonial to give people the chance to say goodbye? Yes

Is he a legend? Yes. You dont need to be Paolo Maldini to be a legend. 600+ games, 17 years, he deserves one last 90 minutes to give people a chance to say thanks should they wish to

Oh and for good measure....is Robbo a troll? Yes. For someone who was quick to shoot people down for their lack of respect towards the "great servant" that was Teflon....maybe he should stop being such a hypocrite and let people thank Carey the way they want .

I'm personally glad he is going, solely because I think he's past it, however I'm grateful for his years of service, and I'm grateful he helped keep us up this year. Best of luck to him whatever he does

Archived