IGNORED

Carey Farewell

nickolas

So what is his total games for city after today?

Posted on citys website sat 2nd april 2011 carey on 603 he must have played more since?

Could of let carey go for Atyeos 645 record? he still got a season in him...

http://www.bcfc.co.u...1267327,00.html

To be second to John Atyeo is a great achievement and I for one don't want Atyeo's record to be beaten, he was in a class of his own.

The difference between Atyeo and Carey and I did pose the question last week.

Based on BCFC records it could be............ ?

Atyeo 645 STARTS.

Carey 627 Appearances. That includes coming off the bench, especially in his early days and coming back from injury.

That in no way detracts from Carey's career with City, I always felt safer when he was in the starting line up.

• Admin

To be second to John Atyeo is a great achievement and I for one don't want Atyeo's record to be beaten, he was in a class of his own.

Atyeo 645 STARTS.

Carey 627 Appearances. That includes coming off the bench, especially in his early days and coming back from injury.

That in no way detracts from Carey's career with City, I always felt safer when he was in the starting line up.

That's a fair point. John Atyeo is probably the greatest player to have played for this club (6 England caps?) so it's kind of fitting that he's also represented us the most.

Atyeo 645 STARTS.

If he hadn't gone to Cov he would have had the record! I don't think anyone can deny the Stats, Atyeo is the greatest. Could someone confirm, he has the highest amount of goals in England, for 1 club. Or is that something I imagined.

Carey though, 600 + appearances, who would thought that, the short scrawny lad who shifted between right back and centre back, having the 2nd highest appearances for city.

Shows you where hard graft can get you.

If he hadn't gone to Cov he would have had the record! I don't think anyone can deny the Stats, Atyeo is the greatest. Could someone confirm, he has the highest amount of goals in England, for 1 club. Or is that something I imagined.

Carey though, 600 + appearances, who would thought that, the short scrawny lad who shifted between right back and centre back, having the 2nd highest appearances for city.

Probably is true tbh, Alan Shearer is the next highest I can think of :laugh: Sorta shows how young I am.. :/

Probably is true tbh, Alan Shearer is the next highest I can think of :laugh: Sorta shows how young I am.. :/

:laugh:, i am not old enough to have seen him play either, sure i read it somewhere.

Best stat i remember, Rob Newman had some kind of consecutive appearance record at the time, around 200 games, unbelievable when you consider he played most of his games at either centre back or centre midfield.

If he had stayed at city, I reckon he would have the top appearance record. He was a legend, one of my favourite players to Don the Red.

I wonder how Louis is feeling right now knowing he will no longer play for his beloved Bristol City. I might still buy next seasons shirt with Carey on the back.

My favorite ever city player, shortly followed by Scott Murray.

How I would love to have them both back playing for City in their prime..

If you want Murray back, you would also need Tin Man as well, Murray was great, but Tin Man took him to another level

Edit, in fact you can pretty much give credit to Tin Man for making our left backs so great. Yes they were all good, but Tin Man made them offensively

If you want Murray back, you would also need Tin Man as well, Murray was great, but Tin Man took him to another level

Edit, in fact you can pretty much give credit to Tin Man for making our left backs so great. Yes they were all good, but Tin Man made them offensively

Carey, Murray, Tinnion were all incredible. I also used to love watching Tony Rougier due to his unpredictability.

• Admin

Dixie Dean scored more for Everton (349 vs 314).

To the poster who suggested Shearer, the most he scored for a single club was 148 for Newcastle.

Dixie Dean scored more for Everton (349 vs 314).

To the poster who suggested Shearer, the most he scored for a single club was 148 for Newcastle.

I thought Big John scored 351. I must have got it wrong then. Cheers

He scored 261 for Newcastle in all comps.

Fergot about Dixie Dean, didn't he score something like 65 in one season?

Something like that, but it was in a era when the ball was made of molten metal and the keepers were made of butter :)

We need him for at least one more year.

We really don't.

He's made just 18 appearances this season, and only 20 last season.

He's very much at the veteran stage, doesn't recover from inevitable injuries quickly and he's not been first choice when others have been available for the majority of the last 2 seasons.

He'd be getting on for 37 by the end of a new one year contract.

He's had an extraordinarily long and distinguished career at CIty, and been a great servant to the club, so it's a sad day if today turns out to be his last appearance.

However that day had to come sometime, and the club have a duty to be practical and decisive about such matters when the time comes - whoever that player might be.

• Admin

I thought Big John scored 351. I must have got it wrong then. Cheers

In fairness I have only checked Wikipedia who have Atyeo as scoring 314. If he actually scored 351 (presumably including other competitions that Wiki doesn't include) then it stands to reason that Dixie Dean may also have got 3 extra to still surpass Atyeo.

I've done a bit more checking since then and no-one else seems to get close to John's tally.

One record I did note though, the most goals scored in a single day of English league football was on the 1st of February 1936 when a staggering 209 goals were scored in 44 matches. This tally included 9 hat-tricks & 3 players got 4 goals. It also included a 12-0 win for Chester over York and a 6-5 away win for Chesterfield at Crewe. In fact, there was just one goal-less match that day: Aldershot 0-0 Bristol City. Typical!

In fairness I have only checked Wikipedia who have Atyeo as scoring 314. If he actually scored 351 (presumably including other competitions that Wiki doesn't include) then it stands to reason that Dixie Dean may also have got 3 extra to still surpass Atyeo.

I've done a bit more checking since then and no-one else seems to get close to John's tally.

One record I did note though, the most goals scored in a single day of English league football was on the 1st of February 1936 when a staggering 209 goals were scored in 44 matches. This tally included 9 hat-tricks & 3 players got 4 goals. It also included a 12-0 win for Chester over York and a 6-5 away win for Chesterfield at Crewe. In fact, there was just one goal-less match that day: Aldershot 0-0 Bristol City. Typical!

No change there then, Bristol City always letting the side down.

Ah I see, Well I think Atyeo's 351 is all comps, not sure if it is 350 or 351, there was a disputed one with Bert Tindell, sometimes accredited to Tindell, sometimes Atyeo.

:laugh: typical for city to go and ruin a good day

We kept a clean sheet????? :o

It's my opinion that Carey's a great player to have in your squad until he decides he doesn't want you to be manager anymore. Could be a wise move by Derek if he quietly lets Louis leave this Summer.

Oooh. Ouch. But quite possibly true.

Carey for me is the last of the old boys club at City. The likes of Walsh, Naylor etc. have gone. I like Carey but we need new blood on the pitch.

Atyeo 645 STARTS.

Thats fair points true enough, one thing also atyeo's goal record would never be broken

No matter about careys appearance stats, and well done to him for that, NO O N E will ever get close to Atyeos scoring stats for this club, and possibly not for any other English league club in the future.

If anyone scored like that for use now, they would be sold in 1 or 2 seasons.

As much as I dislike him, Rooney might. But if he has any sense he will move abroad, and improve his footballing experience.

Can't believe I have just said that. off to chastise myself!!!

John Atyeo died 6 weeks before I was born, such a shame I never managed to see him alive and well, let alone kicking a ball.

Guy I met at uni got taught Maths by Atyeo.

Said he was a lovely bloke, could wish to meet a nicer bloke.

Not often you hear people have things like that to say about their maths teachers!

Just seen on Wikipedia he turned down an offer from AC Milan which would of been around 20M today. Such a legend.

Yep, footie was just a hobby to him. He was more a intellectual.

From what my dad used to say, he was a part timer for us for all but 2 of his 15 seasons with us.

Remarkable

Archived