IGNORED

Carey Farewell

nickolas

Firstly, don't forget that Robbored is an Arsenal fan, so why would he have any affection for a City player?

Secondly, there I would propose a 50/50 split or Louis and his charities of choice.

Finally, I would go to the testimonial and would want my money to go to whatever Louis wanted it to.

As I type Graham Alexander has scored in his final game. Players of their type are going to be few and far between in the coming years.

Joe Jordan gave him his debut in a Third Division fixture against York City at Bootham Crescent in October 1995.

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Carey-keen-overtake-City-legend-s-big-landmark/story-11237566-detail/story.html

Seventeen years? That is one hell of a record, even allowing for his short divagation. Whatever is decided, may I say "thank you, Louis, you always gave everything".

I am genuinely staggered that a player who has played over 600 games for City cannot be simply celebrated and congratulated for the longevity of his career which may be coming to an end.

Absolutely.

No surprise to see many of the usual suspects talking shite on here.

Only Atyeo has played more games for the club in its' entire history.

If this is true, all the best to a player who has given fantastic service and who'll leave with us still a Championship club.

Absolutely.

If this is true, all the best to a player who has given fantastic service and who'll leave with us still a Championship club.

Indeed. And much of the credit for that survival is down to Louis himself.

End of an era

Louis is City great. A real legend of the club.

A student of the game I can see Louis going into coaching and there is no reason why he can't do this at City.

Louis also has an engaging personality and in my view have all the qualities to become a Manager

if that what he wants to do. Maybe that is for another thread .

So a big big thankyou to Louis

Absolutely.

Well said. Louis is up there with the best this club has had in my eyes. A good player and a good man.

My heart sank a little on hearing of Louis' reaction at the end of that game. It does seem he will be leaving us which is a great shame. There were arguments for staying or leaving but I trust the decision of the manager at the end of the day.

I am however gutted that I won't have the chance to give a modern day legend of the club (and that word is absolutely applicable to Louis) a proper round of applause as thank you.

Louis Carey is a ******* hero, thank you for the service and passion that could only come from a Bristol lad.

LOUIS LOUIS LOUIS LOUIS LOUIS!

Why? He left City for Coventry when he wanted more money.

Plus why should any player have a testimonial when they earn enough in their careers to be made for life? Taking money off the fans via a testimonial stinks imo. Unless of course all revenue went to charity.................

I struggle to understand how a Bristol City fan can have that opinion about Carey's testimonial. I actually feel sorry for you for having to live inside a head that formulates those opinions.

My heart sank a little on hearing of Louis' reaction at the end of that game. It does seem he will be leaving us which is a great shame. There were arguments for staying or leaving but I trust the decision of the manager at the end of the day.

I am however gutted that I won't have the chance to give a modern day legend of the club (and that word is absolutely applicable to Louis) a proper round of applause as thank you.

Louis Carey is a ******* hero, thank you for the service and passion that could only come from a Bristol lad.

LOUIS LOUIS LOUIS LOUIS LOUIS!

i'm sure you will get that chance in one guise or another before the year is out, there is no way even BCFC would let that opportunity slip, having said that of course given his reaction at the end of the game it might well be his choice to bow out quietly, some people prefer that.

I understand Louis was told, just today, that tomorrow's game will be his last.

Its a shame if true, a magnificent servant to our club and perhaps deserves more than a last farewell at Burnley.

Will be sad to see Louis not in a city shirt but i suppose these things happen.

Congrats on 600+ appearances Louis.

Having read some of the utter bollox on this thread I thought I would bring back the original post

Louis has been a great player and has played one of our highest games totals.

This man deserves more than a little respect and not have a thread aimed at stating just that hijacked by some of the most self serving inane drivel I have ever read...

Perhaps a new thread should be started with just a bit more respect to the boy!

Thanks Lewis we will remember you for days to come! :clap:

Having read some of the utter bollox on this thread I thought I would bring back the original post

Louis has been a great player and has played one of our highest games totals.

This man deserves more than a little respect and not have a thread aimed at stating just that hijacked by some of the most self serving inane drivel I have ever read...

Perhaps a new thread should be started with just a bit more respect to the boy!

Thanks Lewis we will remember you for days to come! :clap:

Again I really do not know what you read or think you have read, but please share. All I have read is love and respect, I repeat LOUIS CAREY IS A LEGEND end of, the only point of difference is re-a testimonial. Remembering that originally testimonials were for players to have a bit of a nest egg in their new careers once their football careers ended, during a time when they earned a wage just over the average weekly wage and needed another job just to live.

So what if he earned a pittance? It's obviously unfortunate that he has to carry on working but that isn't anything to do with Louis.

As for people who cannot get over him moving to Coventry.. get over it. The fact is he's still racked up 600+ games for us and deserves a lot respect and people should be grateful.

Temper, Temper, Atyeo didn't go to Coventry and earned a pittance by comparison and had to work when his career finished, just like another legend who is deserving of his testimonial the great Gerry Gow.

Think you overlooked something es.

Atyeo stayed amateur because he wanted to. His choice, he loved teaching, if he wanted to make money, he could have gone to ac Milan, its not as if he didn't have the choice. So yes he was a legend, but he could have made enough to retire on if he wanted to, but took testimonial money from the fans instead, not that anyone should begrudge him that.

Likewise, gow went on to make a couple of transfers, and made money from signing on fees and earnt top level footballers money. Yes he also deserves a testimonial.

Carey has played 600+ games in two stints, which is something remarkable in this day and age. He has put his body on the line wether playing well or not, has served city well and contribute to the community through bristol city. He deserves some sort of recognition. To Many fans he will have been at the club (apart for a 6-7 month stint)for their entire supporting history. To them he is a legend, just the same as atyeo and gow are to you. Fair enough you got to see them all play, these younger guys didn't, why shouldn't he be classed as a hero to them, and others? In terms of how the club performed with him here, it is comparable to atyeo. Compared to gow, well gow played at the top level, but also played nearly half the games of Carey.

People are sad to see him go, nothing wrong with that. Can't see anyone saying they are devastated.

He deserves a good sending off from the fans, just a shame the club, just for him, as they probably already knew, didn't make something special for him after the Barnsley game.

Atyeo stayed amateur because he wanted to. His choice, he loved teaching, if he wanted to make money, he could have gone to ac Milan, its not as if he didn't have the choice. So yes he was a legend, but he could have made enough to retire on if he wanted to, but took testimonial money from the fans instead, not that anyone should begrudge him that.

Likewise, gow went on to make a couple of transfers, and made money from signing on fees and earnt top level footballers money. Yes he also deserves a testimonial.

Carey has played 600+ games in two stints, which is something remarkable in this day and age. He has put his body on the line wether playing well or not, has served city well and contribute to the community through bristol city. He deserves some sort of recognition. To Many fans he will have been at the club (apart for a 6-7 month stint)for their entire supporting history. To them he is a legend, just the same as atyeo and gow are to you. Fair enough you got to see them all play, these younger guys didn't, why shouldn't he be classed as a hero to them, and others? In terms of how the club performed with him here, it is comparable to atyeo. Compared to gow, well gow played at the top level, but also played nearly half the games of Carey.

People are sad to see him go, nothing wrong with that. Can't see anyone saying they are devastated.

He deserves a good sending off from the fans, just a shame the club, just for him, as they probably already knew, didn't make something special for him after the Barnsley game.

Thing is, at the time, the Barnsley game was a must win game and nothing but nothing should have diverted attention from preparations or the game itself. Hope that something can be done by the club to give us the chance to see Louis in a friendly/pre-season game so that we can say a proper farewell.

I am not disagreeing with any of that, for me it depends on the nature of the testimonial, charity yes, personal gain no. in the real world people leave jobs everyday of the week, jobs that save other peoples lives and many after 20 to 50 years service and although I accept the days of a gold watch as recognition have long gone, but these days usually gardening tools, a bench, golf clubs etc.

As for people being devastated, I don't know what you are talking about but a couple have described themselves as 'hurting' over this, just a tad over the top don't you agree?.

I am not disagreeing with any of that, for me it depends on the nature of the testimonial, charity yes, personal gain no. in the real world people leave jobs everyday of the week, jobs that save other peoples lives and many after 20 to 50 years service and although I accept the days of a gold watch as recognition have long gone, but these days usually gardening tools, a bench, golf clubs etc.

As for people being devastated, I don't know what you are talking about but a couple have described themselves as 'hurting' over this, just a tad over the top don't you agree?.

Well depends how much you like the bloke I guess. For me I would never hurt over a player going, got used to it over the years, bu was upset when I was 10- about 15 when players i like left.

I agree today, testimonials should be all about fans appreciating the player, but not for monetary gain. And I do think Louis derserves on, even if his feat was over 2 spells

Thing is, at the time, the Barnsley game was a must win game and nothing but nothing should have diverted attention from preparations or the game itself. Hope that something can be done by the club to give us the chance to see Louis in a friendly/pre-season game so that we can say a proper farewell.

I did think this when i was typing, but, I think at the end of the Game, it could have been incorporated into the pitch parade, and could have been done as a surprise by People behind the scenes.

Either way, I hope he gets some sort of time for fans to show their appreciation

I'd keep him one more year. Great squad player. Loves the club, has pride n passion and would be a great sub at the least. We will keep worse players this year!!

I agree. With Carey still at the club, I think the expected numerous incomings could've learnt about what Bristol City means to the community and the, sometimes, weighty expectations the players will experience.

To be greeted by a club captain who not only has played in the region of 600 games, but has played them for his local side would say a lot about what Bristol City stands for.

I would be happy to chip in for a cheapish carriage clock for him, or a average watch with something etched on the back :)

I agree. With Carey still at the club, I think the expected numerous incomings could've learnt about what Bristol City means to the community and the, sometimes, weighty expectations the players will experience.

To be greeted by a club captain who not only has played in the region of 600 games, but has played them for his local side would say a lot about what Bristol City stands for.

By your theory he would never end up leaving the club. He has to go sometime. For me should of been last season.

Was fortunate to get a contract this year, and for me hasnt been consistent enough to earn a new deal, combined with his age a no brainer to release.

Good luck Louis, but it's time to go and hopefully Wilson and Tangs can step up.

No brainer is appropriate for most of your posts.

Louis has had a great final season and as for Nyatanga, I doubt he'd be able to step up to a molehill.

CUE: The "I know everything" reply..... :yawn:

Archived