IGNORED

Carey Farewell

nickolas

How he only managed 6 caps for England is farcical. Especially when he grabbed 5 goals in those 6 caps..

Probably due to him being part time, or so the rumour goes :)

He scored the goal that got us to the 58 World cup, then dumped. Nothing ever changes, if your face don't fit.................

If I was a footballer I would more than happily play for Bristol City for my whole career, how could you beat playing for the club you love your whole career and earning a nice living? Perfect life.

:) well if I was a footballer, as much as i would love to play for City, I would also like to win something. If you are good enough, you should aim to get to the best level you can, fingers crossed, helping the team you love in the process.

Personally I think that is rubbish. For every good performance he put in (Forest) there were a handfull of 0-3's and a 0-5......

I suppose Fontaine and Nyatanga didn't play in those games then?

The fact that you even consider that Nyatanga a better defender than Louis makes me laugh aloud.

I would have liked to have seen Louis get another year but times change and the club has to move on.He has had a good living out of Bristol City and I have no doubt that other clubs will be queuing up for his services.

I was at Burnley today and I was choked when he went off at the end.

Our best defender today and I will miss him big time.

We must let the present management team do what they think is right for the club.

Sorry, I've just caught onto this thread and haven't had the chance to read through it because my blood is boiling.

Louis Carey is in second place IN THE HISTORY of Bristol City Football Club for wearing that Bristol City shirt. Sod the fact that he had a small break, that is a FACT. What is the problem with having a football match where we can say thanks and give the money to charity? Louis Carey is a modern Bristol City Legend who can safely be held up with the likes of Gerry Gow and John Atyeo.

Not only has Louis Carey made 600+ appearances, he is also a Bristolian. What more do you want Robbored? What would you suggest players need to do to get a testimonial game? (Get out of your head about the money. It goes to charity). I'll look forward to your reply on that.

To end off, I want to say Thank You to a player that has alway's given 120% for this club. A player who has CAPTAINED this club through one of its most successful periods. A City player who bleeds red and white. A City player who always threw his body on the line (even sustaining a fractured skull once resulting in his hearing being affected for the rest of his life) and best of all, a City player who is Bristolian.

For me, Louis Carey is Mr Bristol City. Louis Carey is one of us, and if we can't celebrate that then we've got something seriously wrong with us as a group of supporters.

Why?

Is Carey special in some way? Played 600 or so games for City, fair enough but so what?

The guy turned out 600+ times for City and you ask if he is special in some way?

BTW he left City because he felt that lesser ability players were being brought into the club but paid far more, he just wanted parity with them, the club refused and Louis felt the club were taking the piss out of the local players knowing they were less likely to move for higher wages. I don't agree with the wages footballers are paid but I would have agreed with his point of principle.

As fans we want to have heroes, and Louis, as a Bristolian and a player that never gave less than 100%, will for the majority of us fall into that category.

Sorry, I've just caught onto this thread and haven't had the chance to read through it because my blood is boiling.

Louis Carey is in second place IN THE HISTORY of Bristol City Football Club for wearing that Bristol City shirt. Sod the fact that he had a small break, that is a FACT. What is the problem with having a football match where we can say thanks and give the money to charity? Louis Carey is a modern Bristol City Legend who can safely be held up with the likes of Gerry Gow and John Atyeo.

Not only has Louis Carey made 600+ appearances, he is also a Bristolian. What more do you want Robbored? What would you suggest players need to do to get a testimonial game? (Get out of your head about the money. It goes to charity). I'll look forward to your reply on that.

To end off, I want to say Thank You to a player that has alway's given 120% for this club. A player who has CAPTAINED this club through one of its most successful periods. A City player who bleeds red and white. A City player who always threw his body on the line (even sustaining a fractured skull once resulting in his hearing being affected for the rest of his life) and best of all, a City player who is Bristolian.

For me, Louis Carey is Mr Bristol City. Louis Carey is one of us, and if we can't celebrate that then we've got something seriously wrong with us as a group of supporters.

Amen to that. I've supported City for over fifty years and, even in that context, Louis is one of our greats. If people can't understand that, maybe they'd be better off "supporting" Man Ure or the Arse - or maybe even the Sags?

Probably due to him being part time, or so the rumour goes :)

He scored the goal that got us to the 58 World cup, then dumped. Nothing ever changes, if your face don't fit.................

They still remember that goal in Ireland - apparently the FA forgot it within a couple of months. Funny game, football...

Have always made my stance clear in the Carey situation and felt it was time to let him go last year, however respect where respect is due.

17 years and 600+ games is a massive achievement and even I feel he should have a better send off then some poxy away trip at Burnley.

I'm glad though we have a manager that really is trying to evolve this club and take it forward.

Louis, thanks for the memories old pal....hopefully will continue to do a job at Exeter or somewhere like that

Have always made my stance clear in the Carey situation and felt it was time to let him go last year, however respect where respect is due.

17 years and 600+ games is a massive achievement and even I feel he should have a better send off then some poxy away trip at Burnley.

I'm glad though we have a manager that really is trying to evolve this club and take it forward.

Louis, thanks for the memories old pal....hopefully will continue to do a job at Exeter or somewhere like that

That's fair enough, but are you confident that if heaven forbid, next season we found ourselves in the dire position we were this year, we'd have somebody like Louis who'd roll up his sleeves and literally 'go into battle' every game he featured in? The nearest we had this year was Amougou, but as a number have said, there could be a question mark over his long term motivation.

I don't see what would be wrong offering LC a pay per game contract for next year. For all we know though, this HAS been offered, or maybe Louis HAS retired.

I guess we'll all know in the next few days, but I'd also like to add my thanks to Louis for his magnificent service to this club. I think it speaks volumes that even after 17 years service and in advanced years ..... in footballing terms of course, there is still a very heated debate on whether he should or shouldn't be retained at Championship level, in what is a very tough and competitive league.

My feelings are that when the chips are down and you want someone to really go into battle for this club, Louis Carey would still be at the very top of my list.

The guy turned out 600+ times for City and you ask if he is special in some way?

BTW he left City because he felt that lesser ability players were being brought into the club but paid far more, he just wanted parity with them, the club refused and Louis felt the club were taking the piss out of the local players knowing they were less likely to move for higher wages. I don't agree with the wages footballers are paid but I would have agreed with his point of principle.

As fans we want to have heroes, and Louis, as a Bristolian and a player that never gave less than 100%, will for the majority of us fall into that category.

I never understand why people always overlook this point and act as if he was some kind of traitor for going to Coventry. Considering the situation at the time and the way we handled the situation it's hardly surprising he was pissed off with the Club!

Anyway. Louis Carey is a Bristol City legend and remains one of my favourite players of all times. He was a man that genuinely cared for this football club and you could see what Bristol City meant to him. I am sad to see him go and wish him all the best in the future.

The amount of ***** on this thread is staggering. Somehow the usual "footballers are paid too much it's a disgrace" argument has appeared just because some fans want a testimonial for the man who has the second highest appearances for us ever?! Get over yourself. Louis Carey deserves a testimonial and even though it's very likely that the money will go to charity, if it goes to Carey I will happily pay as will many others. I find the whinging about footballers wages almost pathetic at times. We get it, they get paid a lot to do a job we'd love to have, we're adults, stop crying and get on with your life.

LOUIS!!!

Personally I think that is rubbish. For every good performance he put in (Forest) there were a handfull of 0-3's and a 0-5......He has been no different to Tangs, in actual fact i'd say Nyatanga (considering he was crocked) was better throughout the season than LC. People are forgetting how average, and on occasions POOR, Carey was earlier in the season.

I think in recent weeks his contributions have been over-hyped, he was good at Forest away, but it was Amougou and Gerken who shone defensively.

A club legend, but it's time for him to go. IMO. and it looks like Del, the manager, agrees.....must make me right no?

I agree, although I think the fans should of got the chance to give him a proper farewell.

Guy I met at uni got taught Maths by Atyeo.

Said he was a lovely bloke, could wish to meet a nicer bloke.

Not often you hear people have things like that to say about their maths teachers!

I was at Henbury school when John was a maths teacher there. Great bloke.

Why? He left City for Coventry when he wanted more money.

Plus why should any player have a testimonial when they earn enough in their careers to be made for life? Taking money off the fans via a testimonial stinks imo. Unless of course all revenue went to charity.................

Taking money off fans stinks?? When we turn up week in week out and hand over our money we aren't doing exactly the same??

The lad is retiring at 35. Retiring. He probably has limited skills for a life outside of football, so why, if people are happy to pay ( and I would be) shouldn't he have a parting pay day funded directly from the fans?

Why do people like you always bring up the money they earn, whilst continuing to hand over cash that does exactly that? It sounds like cheap jealousy to me. Perhaps supporting Corinthian Casuals may be more in line with your fiscal morals.

Louis, thanks, and all the best for what is a very long retirement.

I never understand why people always overlook this point and act as if he was some kind of traitor for going to Coventry. Considering the situation at the time and the way we handled the situation it's hardly surprising he was pissed off with the Club!

Anyway. Louis Carey is a Bristol City legend and remains one of my favourite players of all times. He was a man that genuinely cared for this football club and you could see what Bristol City meant to him. I am sad to see him go and wish him all the best in the future.

The amount of ***** on this thread is staggering. Somehow the usual "footballers are paid too much it's a disgrace" argument has appeared just because some fans want a testimonial for the man who has the second highest appearances for us ever?! Get over yourself. Louis Carey deserves a testimonial and even though it's very likely that the money will go to charity, if it goes to Carey I will happily pay as will many others. I find the whinging about footballers wages almost pathetic at times. We get it, they get paid a lot to do a job we'd love to have, we're adults, stop crying and get on with your life.

LOUIS!!!

Bang on, as I have said on another thread about it. I'd happily walk up to him and give him the entrance fee personally, if you cant celebrate a player who has given 99.9% of a long footballing career to his club/our club a testimonial, then it's a bit of a disgrace. If the club don't want to do it, perhaps the Supporters Trust/ Club can?

That's fair enough, but are you confident that if heaven forbid, next season we found ourselves in the dire position we were this year, we'd have somebody like Louis who'd roll up his sleeves and literally 'go into battle' every game he featured in? The nearest we had this year was Amougou, but as a number have said, there could be a question mark over his long term motivation.

I don't see what would be wrong offering LC a pay per game contract for next year. For all we know though, this HAS been offered, or maybe Louis HAS retired.

I guess we'll all know in the next few days, but I'd also like to add my thanks to Louis for his magnificent service to this club. I think it speaks volumes that even after 17 years service and in advanced years ..... in footballing terms of course, there is still a very heated debate on whether he should or shouldn't be retained at Championship level, in what is a very tough and competitive league.

My feelings are that when the chips are down and you want someone to really go into battle for this club, Louis Carey would still be at the very top of my list.

On the flip side, god forbid we are in this position again...and we are fighting for our lives, do you really think, a 1 year older and injury ravaged Louis would be upto the challenge physically again?

I personally feel we won't be in that position again, as I believe McInnes knows what we need to do to evolve as a club. Louis is a City legend, but it's time to move forward, and build for the future. Louis isn't a "one in a million" defender, and there are players out there who are better, and can be equally committed.

Yes he is City through and through, but let's celebrate his time with us, thank him....and move on.

Gary Neville was a Man U legend.....and would run through brick Walls for the shirt, but when your times up....it's up

Thank you for saving me the time and effort of creating an almost identical post.

Taking money off fans stinks?? When we turn up week in week out and hand over our money we aren't doing exactly the same??

The lad is retiring at 35. Retiring. He probably has limited skills for a life outside of football, so why, if people are happy to pay ( and I would be) shouldn't he have a parting pay day funded directly from the fans?

Why do people like you always bring up the money they earn, whilst continuing to hand over cash that does exactly that? It sounds like cheap jealousy to me. Perhaps supporting Corinthian Casuals may be more in line with your fiscal morals.

Get real! If you think Carey will struggle financially after he retires you must be on a different planet. 17 years as a pro, the last few as club captain in the Championship. He would have earned a very decent amount. He'll never need to work again should he choose not to and with his PFA pension will have a decent income.

If by some reckless spending he blew it all and fell on harder times then he could get a job just like other 35 year old blokes.

• Admin

Get real! If you think Carey will struggle financially after he retires you must be on a different planet. 17 years as a pro, the last few as club captain in the Championship. He would have earned a very decent amount. He'll never need to work again should he choose not to and with his PFA pension will have a decent income.

If by some reckless spending he blew it all and fell on harder times then he could get a job just like other 35 year old blokes.

I would have thought quite a lot of local firms would fall over themselves to have a 17 year stalwart & former club captain of Bristol City on their payroll from a PR point of view.

Whilst I think Proffesional footballers are paid too much money for what they do...you cannot take away the dedicaion and pure love for the Club that Carey has. I just wish more footballers were like him. He's not the most talented...but gives 100% trying, you can't ask more than that.

i wish him all the best for the future and will miss him in a City shirt. He's old skool...Respect.

Thanks for entertaining me LC.

Yep, you're right, I did say he would struggle financially..oh, wait, no I didn't...I said he had few skills (possibly) and therefore if fans wanted to hand him £10 notes that's up to them, and I'm not sure why that would make you sick to the stomach.

But I'm delighted your planet sized brain and its knowledge of longevity, contribution levels and annuity rates dwarfs those of a humble poster such as myself.

So Here's a maths poser to get that planet sized brain working.

What have Louis Carey's earnings been, on average, for his 17 years as a pro?

If he lives to the average age of 87, how much would he honestly need as a pension pot "never to have to work again"?

You challenged nothing I said, but simply discussed your own prejudices, so, for that reason I suggest that it is you, not I that needs to "get real".

Yep, you're right, I did say he would struggle financially..oh, wait, no I didn't...I said he had few skills (possibly) and therefore if fans wanted to hand him £10 notes that's up to them, and I'm not sure why that would make you sick to the stomach.

But I'm delighted your planet sized brain and its knowledge of longevity, contribution levels and annuity rates dwarfs those of a humble poster such as myself.

So Here's a maths poser to get that planet sized brain working.

What have Louis Carey's earnings been, on average, for his 17 years as a pro?

If he lives to the average age of 87, how much would he honestly need as a pension pot "never to have to work again"?

You challenged nothing I said, but simply discussed your own prejudices, so, for that reason I suggest that it is you, not I that needs to "get real".

Between approx 400k and 500k per year for the last 5 years or so equals 2.5m plus whatever he earned the 12 years before that. Of course he'll never need to work again if he chooses not to.

Don't forget his PFA pension either.

As I said earlier should Carey blow all his money then he'd have to do what most 35 year old blokes would do - get a job. Tom Richie was working as a postman for example. Geoff Merrick runs his own contracting buisness,

You really don't seem to have any idea just how lucrative being a pro footballer is in the PL and Championship.

Archived