IGNORED

Players Departing/staying Thread 2012 [Merged]

Red Army 79

Neither Cisse, Skuse or Elliot offer much creativity so why have all 3 of them?

I'd keep Cisse and Skuse as they've both done very well this season, Skuse mainly towards the end but he's showing signs of improving under Del.

Didn't Elliott sign a new contract extension Under Del? or Was it Millen? that would suggest to me he would be the last bloke out of the door.

Also, Del has waxed lyrical about Elliott

Didn't Elliott sign a new contract extension Under Del? or Was it Millen? that would suggest to me he would be the last bloke out of the door.

Also, Del has waxed lyrical about Elliott

It all depends really how Del wants us to play, if he wants two 'workers' in the middle who get the ball out to the wide men straight away in a 4-4-2 then he should keep all 3, if he wants to play 1 worker with 1 creator then we wouldn't need 3.

It all depends really how Del wants us to play, if he wants two 'workers' in the middle who get the ball out to the wide men straight away in a 4-4-2 then he should keep all 3, if he wants to play 1 worker with 1 creator then we wouldn't need 3.

In which case, as much as I don't like it, it is easier to just let Cisse go, unless someone is in for Elliott or Skuse.

I think there is enough room for all 3, as I pointed out elsewhere, I really do think the are different types of player.

Add a good forward thinking play maker, and maybe a quality left sided midfielder and we are good to go.

What it means you can rotate 3 athletic central midfielders from week to week, making the midfield strong, combative and fresh

If this guy doesn't get another contract then I would like to say thank you for the last 6 years.

Played nearly 200 games for us, and helped us with promotion and play offs.

All the best!

Indeed, Not always appreciated, but played a huge part in our success under Johnson.

All the best Macca

Up there with Mickey Bell for me. Reason being he is as hard as nails and always put up a fight.

All the best Macca, will never forget the day he said to me in Hugo Boss ''that shirt is a cracker'' :laugh:

What areyou doing shopping in Hugo Boss? you big tart :)

Likeable, intelligent and slightly quirky guy but never thought he added much to the teams confidence or team spirit. Much as I respect and appreciate Steve Lansdown I hope he stays out of managerial and player signings in the future. SL was also instrumental in bringing Marcus Stewart to the Club who was both disruptive, on high wages and past his best. James wasn't disruptive even if he tended to annoyingly berate rather than organise his back four, but he was well passed his prime. He managed to retain his trade mark errors without retaining the quality part of his game that won him so many international caps. Not a good trade-off. Good luck to him but there's no getting away from the fact he was an expensive mistake of a signing.

Gerkin has always been a good shot stopper and the new goalkeeping coach seems to have added a new dimension to his game so I hope fans are open-minded and recognise that he is still young in goalkeeping years and we have the makings of a quality keeper. He played a big part in keeping us up. Need someone to compete with him but he deserves to be considered as a potential number one next season.

Likeable, intelligent and slightly quirky guy but never thought he added much to the teams confidence or team spirit. Much as I respect and appreciate Steve Lansdown I hope he stays out of managerial and player signings in the future. SL was also instrumental in bringing Marcus Stewart to the Club who was both disruptive, on high wages and past his best. James wasn't disruptive even if he tended to annoyingly berate rather than organise his back four, but he was well passed his prime. He managed to retain his trade mark errors without retaining the quality part of his game that won him so many international caps. Not a good trade-off. Good luck to him but there's no getting away from the fact he was an expensive mistake of a signing.

Gerkin has always been a good shot stopper and the new goalkeeping coach seems to have added a new dimension to his game so I hope fans are open-minded and recognise that he is still young in goalkeeping years and we have the makings of a quality keeper. He played a big part in keeping us up. Need someone to compete with him but he deserves to be considered as a potential number one next season.

He is not going to be quality.

He may become an average championship keeper, but quality means he will be good enough for the prem, that won't ever happen

He is not going to be quality.

He may become an average championship keeper, but quality means he will be good enough for the prem, that won't ever happen

I think he already is an average championship keeper. Let's be honest, it's hard to compare our keepers to others this season because we have been pretty abject in front of goal rarely testing (for the large part).

Gerks is very good shot stopping, and certainly in his latest run his composure and his concentration seems to have improved.

I think some of the praise has been a little too generous, but he has certainly done well.

I don't think there are too many aspects of his game needing drastic improvement. Command of box and consistency in distribution are two areas I would focus on.

Certainly he has the bravery and agility to forge a successful career.

I thought Mr Lansdown was paying this wage.

As I've pointed out dozens of times, if Lansdown wasn't paying his wage [and that's only an unconfirmed rumour] the money could have been spent on the club elsewhere. Maybe on a couple of good, not over-the-hill players.

I love the guy.

I've sat here for a while and I can't think of one player in the championship who does what Cisse does, and so well.

Maybe he's a luxury player? In the championship midfielders should attack and create as well as defend.

Maybe he is expensive? Maybe he is injury prone?

But I think he is hugely important, especially away from home.

Sign

Him

Up.

I've said it before, Cashley, Shaw, Waugh, Leaning, Sinclair, Dykstra, Welch, Phillips, Basso 30 years of 1st teamers (albeit Dykstra on loan) All better than James on the form he has shown in the last 2 seasons. I maintain he is the worst regular keeper I have seen at the Gate.

You're having a giraffe!

Having the opportunity to sign the England goalkeeper on. the back of a world cup and all the national coverage that brought?

I have seen many fantastic saves that he's made as well as some mistakes but it takes 11 players to make a team not just 1.

Apart from Basso, who would be in my all time team, you really are talking rubbish.

Leaning? Sinclair? Dykstra??

Almost surprised you never mentioned Hooper, he played a game.

With the club's change of direction and his age, I would be surprised if he's here next season tbh.

A thoroughly nice, engaging articulate man. Not your average footballer.

A wonderful role model.

It's very easy to criticise isn't it.

You're having a giraffe!

Having the opportunity to sign the England goalkeeper on. the back of a world cup and all the national coverage that brought?

I have seen many fantastic saves that he's made as well as some mistakes but it takes 11 players to make a team not just 1.

Apart from Basso, who would be in my all time team, you really are talking rubbish.

Leaning? Sinclair? Dykstra??

Almost surprised you never mentioned Hooper, he played a game.

With the club's change of direction and his age, I would be surprised if he's here next season tbh.

A thoroughly nice, engaging articulate man. Not your average footballer.

A wonderful role model.

It's very easy to criticise isn't it.

I refer you to my other post. How many times did these keepers get dropped for being constantly crap.

Give me a decent answer and you may have a chance of persuading me. If you can't, then we will have to agree to disagree, unfortunately, the proof is in the pudding, and two successive managers, have decided the keeper has been bad enough to warrant dropping.

I don't see what being a nice articulate bloke has to do with the price of fish?

I love the guy.

I've sat here for a while and I can't think of one player in the championship who does what Cisse does, and so well.

+1

Maybe he's a luxury player? In the championship midfielders should attack and create as well as defend.

Maybe he is expensive? Maybe he is injury prone?

But I think he is hugely important, especially away from home.

Sign

Him

Up.

Will keeping all 3 be that bad? Skusey is a top right back, but has also looked brilliant at centre mid recently, Marv would be the one i'd get rid of if i had the choice

Agree there.

Marve can be useful with his head at set pieces, but he isn't the player he was a couple of years ago. He still charges round the field and wins the ball, but then more often than not gives it straight away again.

Cisse is far better than some give him credit for. He seems to be the kind of player who is more likely to be missed when he isn't playing, rather than being appreciated when he is playing.

Really do hope we can keep him.

Archived