IGNORED

Edl Causing Trouble In Bristol...

Cider army1981

I have lived in Easton/Lawrence hill and ST George for the last couple of years and I love the place. The people are fantastic and it's by far the best part of Bristol I have personally lived in. Sure it has trouble makers but what area hasn't?

I really can't stand Stephen Yaxley-Lennon and the EDL. In that video he describes countries as "Third world Shitholes" Sorry but having been lucky enough to spend time working in and visiting many of those countries I found that quite offensive and sums up his Ignorance. In those countries I met people who were amazing and positive about the world around them. I would rather have 100 of them visiting Bristol than him and the EDL. He also rants but provides very few ideas on what he proposes to do about the "Threat" some of what he says may be true but anyone can get up there and say it so what does his "Group" actually plan to do.

I have seen a video of the guys in the weatherspoons and they are singing "Ten German Bombers" and smashing up the back gate. Really getting their message across and making a stand by smashing pubs and fighting their own police. I had two friends in Stoke one of whom I really respected, I knew he liked a fight which annoyed me but I could look past it and see he was a good lad but then all of a sudden he got involved with these guys and would just start saying fairly nasty stuff and it was like I didn't know him any more. He would send me pictures of the marches and brag about how it kicked off with the police and all his mates went for those main reasons as far as I could say.

What happened last week was a tragic and disgusting act and it should not be ignored. However, someone who thinks that it is Okay to go into the street and kill someone in that manner was clearly mentally ill and he found a convenient outlet for his insanity in Islam. Which is what people have been doing forever basically, just look at the guy from Norway, the Soho bomber etc. People will use religion to twist peoples minds into committing acts of violence but it's not the religion that is at fault it's the people. If religion didn't exist then these people would find other means to twist peoples minds and we would still have the same problem and who are we to say that people can't practice religion when they get so much comfort for it? As long as no laws are broken then I don't see the problem and the police will act upon things when laws are broken but obviously they can only do this when people report it. And the large march in the name of Lee Rigby didn't get mentioned much though maybe it will later.

The press can be blamed allot for blowing things up and basically causing more terror, it's almost like they rub their hands when this sort of things happen and when you have that Robinson **** saying a "Muslim looking person" it makes me despair, what does a Muslim person even look like? Also, you can guarantee that this March will be in the newspaper on Monday but the much larger and more positive Ant-Monsanto event will barely get a mention because it was peaceful and it's just not sensationalist enough. Hopefully they surprise me but I doubt if they will.

The thing is that Extreme Islamists are usually shunned by genuine muslims and mosques and it's a shame that normal muslims have to come out and apologize every time something like this happens as it's not the average Muslims fault. I don't know everything they do and I am sure that they generally could do more to combat the problem of young muslims being turned towards more extreme forms of islam but from what I've read they do tip off police about people and quite often this is how threats are curtailed. It would be nice to see more transparency in what they are doing but then you just push it further underground and we may lose that source of information. I think it's important to remember that this was at the moment an isolated incident, a tragic one but isolated. I'm not saying that we should then ignore it and wait for something big to happen but we have to have some perspective which the media have completely failed to do.

I went to the Anti-EDL protest in Bristol last year and I must say I have a dislike for the UAF they cause just as much trouble as the EDL but both groups are largely negative. I would probably avoid it again as they are some of the worst protests I have been on.

I wanted to put a bit how all these groups hope to push us together but I found something that explains it better than I can so I will quote that:

What the English Defence League and other angry, confused people are doing and advocating now, violence against mosques, Muslims, proliferation of hateful rhetoric is exactly what that poor, sick, murderous man, blood soaked on a peaceful street, was hoping for in his desperate, muddled mind.

The extremists on both sides have a shared agenda; cause division, distrust, anger and violence. Both sides have the same intention. We cannot allow them to distort our perception.

The establishment too is relatively happy when different groups of desperate people point the finger at each other because it prevents blame being correctly directed at them. Whenever we are looking for the solution to a problem we must identify who has power. By power I mean influence and money. The answer is not for us to move further from one another, crouched in opposing fortresses constructed from vindictive words. We need now to move closer to one another, to understand one another. If we can take anything heartening from this dreadful attack it is of course the actions of the three women, it’s always women, that boldly guarded Lee Rigby’s body as he lay needlessly murdered. These women looked beyond the fear and chaos and desperation and attuned instead to a higher code. One of virtue, integrity and strength.

I would love to see a march of unity where everyone gets together and says that none of these acts are acceptable on our streets but I urge people to not let this make you start labelling general muslims under the same umbrella as there is a big difference between the two and we have to remember how we hate it when we are treated like shit by police for being football fans because we are let down by a small minority of people that we can't actually control. We should not then do the same to other groups of people.

Anyway, I have rambled so I won't carry on and hopefully I make some sort of sense!

Well thought out post there. ;)

Maybe I am living in a dream world but I am involved in enough positive work to know that I am far from being part of the problem which sees this country being "Walked all over" so I will take your comment with a pinch of salt.

Sorry but you just come across as some happy clappy who thinks everyone and everything is amazing, and issues like this are just a rare unpleasant occurrence that can be brushed under the carpet. But of course so long as you've been to the Middle East and experienced how lovely it is there and how nice they treat each other, that's ok.

Bristolcity1992, I'm sorry mate but radical clerics like choudrey and his ilk are not shunned by ordinary Muslims they are tolerated, that's how they are still operating in Muslim community's spouting their vile hatred and recruiting the impressionable into jihad. If the law abiding Muslims want this to stop then they must act to expel the hate peddling clerics themselves, the haven't and probably won't either because they are afraid or they tacitly agree.

......which shops?...would like to know..apart from being"wrong"must also be illegal..

Not sure which one but theres a news agents down there. 2 women at work were talking about it about 6 months ago. Both seen it walking their kids to school that day. They were stunned obviously. They wouldnt make it up. The sign was up for at least a week as i asked a week later if it was still there. Il try and get the name of the shop if i see either this week. Sorry it sounds vauge and a BS but im not sad enough to make it up on an internet forum.

Sorry but you just come across as some happy clappy who thinks everyone and everything is amazing, and issues like this are just a rare unpleasant occurrence that can be brushed under the carpet. But of course so long as you've been to the Middle East and experienced how lovely it is there and how nice they treat each other, that's ok.

Did I not say that it needs to be addressed and shouldn't be ignored? I just said people need to look at it with more perspective and not get whipped into a frenzy where we start attacking people because they have chosen a different path of life.

The comment about the middle east was in response to the EDL leaders low comment about "Third World" countries. There is a lot that I don't agree with that goes on in those countries far to much to list and indeed there is much that I don't agree with that the Muslim faith teaches that I don't agree with. (Along with most religions)

I agree Parkender that they should probably do more to challenge it and should actually show what they are doing. What would you guys do out of interest?

Also no need to apologize I know I come across that way and I am quite comfortable with it. :) I am just asking people not to start attacking other innocent groups of people because two nutters committed a horrific attack in their name. I don't think that's unreasonable.

Just to get it straight from the start I am not a supporter of the EDL.I know one of the people arrested last night and several others who attended the march,and have been told by all of them that trouble started when they tried to leave the pub and were stopped from doing so by the police,several of them then jumped over the back wall to get away where upon the police then sealed off this escape route and this is when it all kicked off.Was also told this by a man at Trinity rd police station who had just been released and was waiting for a lift back to Nailsea.

Bristolcity1992.. To answer your question what would I do, well a start would be for the Muslim community to shut down rogue mosques and expel clerics like choudrey and disrupt his meetings wherever they are held sending out a clear message that he won't be tolerated.

As for our government if they stopped the benefits these people get and stop making it easy for them to cream the system they might think twice about staying here.

Just like we know the Majority of Muslims are not looking to push laws upon us and kill us all. :)

Would say a very high majority of Muslims would like to abide by there sharia law within Britain, although they do say they don't wish to apply this to the non Islamic worshipping community ( though im sure if they were the majority this would be applied)

We already have these "courts" within Britain.

You speak a lot of sense with a lot of valid points but with the ideology of Islam and its followers, however portrayed, the average joe will not stand for what we see as a infringement of our heritage, culture and way of life

Would say a very high majority of Muslims would like to abide by there sharia law within Britain, although they do say they don't wish to apply this to the non Islamic worshipping community ( though im sure if they were the majority this would be applied)

We already have these "courts" within Britain.

You speak a lot of sense with a lot of valid points but with the ideology of Islam and its followers, however portrayed, the average joe will not stand for what we see as a infringement of our heritage, culture and way of life

Is this just EDI hearsay or do you have hard evidence to come to your conclusion ?

Bristolcity1992.. To answer your question what would I do, well a start would be for the Muslim community to shut down rogue mosques and expel clerics like choudrey and disrupt his meetings wherever they are held sending out a clear message that he won't be tolerated.

As for our government if they stopped the benefits these people get and stop making it easy for them to cream the system they might think twice about staying here.

Totally agree with your first point it would be good to see a bigger counter demonstration. The second part is a point but what about people born here as the guy who was involved next week?

I honestly can't say how many muslims want sharia law, I know there are courts and there have been reports into how these should be monitored better.

Lastly I honestly think that the answers to the problem lie somewhere in between what people like me believe (Honestly if everything I believed in actually came into effect the country would fall apart. :laugh: ) and what the EDL believe. The problem is that no ones really having the debate at the moment and the extreme views of both sides really puts a lot of people off getting involved as it stirs up such strong emotions it actually scares people from even starting the subject, we have to accept we have different views and not jump down peoples throats for having an opposite one. The people that can change this from all sides need to sit down together and actually talk things through and come up with some action they can take. Although I noticed May is already using it to try and get her snooping bill through I really hate that woman!

Maybe just maybe this will be final straw that does that. It's obviously a shame that it's taken this to get things looked at properly again but as the cases of Baby P and Winterbourne view show things usually only change when something awful happens.

so you trust em then bc92?

Yes, I have no reason to not trust them. Just like I would trust an Irish man who happens to be catholic etc. They are human just like any of us and the majority don't want to cause anyone any harm. Just like i would trust people from Israel I meet even though I hate what their country is doing......

Why wouldn't you trust "Them"?

Also need to consider all the Muslims who aren't really religious, like most Christians to be honest. Have a Muslim mate who does the fasting, but drinks every weekend down town. No harm to anyone.

My girlfriend works with someone who has some unsavoury views on homosexuals cause of what his faith teaches which she has challenged many times but he thinks nothing of buying a lottery ticket and hiding it from his wife. :laugh: Selective and what he will do if he wins I don't know.

My problem with the EDL is that many people that follow them will not see a difference between your friend and the people they are meant to be protesting about. Anyway, I'm going to leave it there I don't post much as I always feel like I struggle to make my point when typing. Much prefer face to face but it's been interesting all the same. I will probably post again but going to try and leave it now.

Also need to consider all the Muslims who aren't really religious, like most Christians to be honest. Have a Muslim mate who does the fasting, but drinks every weekend down town. No harm to anyone.

give him the pork chop test slap him with said pork chop if you unexpectedly sleep for a few hours he is religious :laugh: my mates party piece is hidding an entire pepperoni sausage on our somali mates cheese and tomato pizza

In 2066 White British will be in a minority in our Country. That troubles me. Pretty clear we are going to be Muslimised in most people's lifetime.

Did we not defend Muslims in Bosnia? Are we not supporting Muslims in Syria? Did we get rid of a murderous tyrant in Iraq to benefit Muslims. Even tough I have sympathy for stoning wives who are adulterous, to death is a bit OTT, while I agree women's rights have gone too far not to educate them is a bit a questionable and to chop of a robbers hand does seem a tadge severe, therefore, to deal with the Taliban has some merit (setting aside 7/7 etc).

So we sacrifice the life's of UK citizens for Muslims go in to massive debt to fund the cost of conflicts, we provide Muslims with sanctuary, free health care, education, loads of benefits for their zillions of off-springs, allow them to butcher animals in the most inhumane way and in return....?

Sorry, I just don't get it the lefty/Muslim agenda.

In 2066 White British will be in a minority in our Country. That troubles me. Pretty clear we are going to be Muslimised in most people's lifetime.

Did we not defend Muslims in Bosnia? Are we not supporting Muslims in Syria? Did we get rid of a murderous tyrant in Iraq to benefit Muslims. Even tough I have sympathy for stoning wives who are adulterous, to death is a bit OTT, while I agree women's rights have gone too far not to educate them is a bit a questionable and to chop of a robbers hand does seem a tadge severe, therefore, to deal with the Taliban has some merit (setting aside 7/7 etc).

So we sacrifice the life's of UK citizens for Muslims go in to massive debt to fund the cost of conflicts, we provide Muslims with sanctuary, free health care, education, loads of benefits for their zillions of off-springs, allow them to butcher animals in the most inhumane way and in return....?

quality post there fella

got it spot on

they cant be trusted

er... no we didn't defend the Bosnian Muslims, in fact we were culpable in their slaughter by not allowing them to defend themselves against the Serb military, basically the old Yugoslav army, courtesy of an arms embargo that we refused to lift.

For what? Muslims that live in Britain would rather follow sharia law compared to what we have in place? Behave and do your research into Islam and its beliefs compared to us non believers.

How do you know that most UK muslims want Sharia Law compared to UK law ? Simple question I'd have thought.

Archived