IGNORED

Steve Cotterill [Merged + Poll]

KeepUpLino

452 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Final word from me on it.

All this hoofball stuff is a myth.

Your in a very small minority if you think he's the best man for the job.

We're not exactly Barcelona, our last 3 promotion sides (Jordan, Ward and Johnson) were all direct to one degree or another. Their centre forwards were Turner, Torpey and Showunmi.

Cooper and Wilson aside all the managers I've seen since Dicks played direct football to an extent, and as has been pointed out Cotterill's last job was coaching at QPR, hardly Stoke, was it? He won't be another Pulis and if he can get us better organised, more physically hard to play against we'll get a lot more points in the next 19 games than we have in the last 19.

I think everybody was looking at the same list of out of work managers as me, so it would hardly be a surprise if the new manager was Cotterill.

Warnock is retired, Holloway would not get much more time than 45 minutes of the first game unless we were trouncing the opposition, Phelan is an unknown quantity never managing a club before, the rest, well we will probably get one of the others in the next year or so.

So right now, I would not be surprised to see Cotterill, who is a good organiser when you get past the fact the football may be more direct. But we have hardly be a shining beacon for great football in the past have we.

That's why I am so amazed to see O'Driscoll gone, the board had seen the same list as everyone else, none of them on that list fills me with confidence for the long term.

It's the next manager in a years time that fills me with more dread.

My own preference was Lee Johnson but I have a feeling Steve Cotterill could be a good fit for us.  The overly direct play he has a reputation for is an issue but, aside from working for Rednapp, there's the irony that he brought in SO'd as a coach at NFFC who has a reputation for passing football. 

Interesting link that makes me think this could be an excellent appointment at this time.  Cotterill has a burning desire to manage in the Premiership and his best chance will be doing it by making a success at City.

http://seatpitch.co.uk/2012/04/07/steve-cotterill-credit-where-credits-due/

Apologies if anyone has already mentioned it, but having watched Match of the Day on playback this morning, isn't that Steve Cotterill sitting next to Roy Hodgson in the crowd at the Cardiff/Arsenal match?

Maybe he is asking what managing City is like. The plot thickens.

It's amazing how most reasonable managers do shite at City. With Cotterill it maybe in reverse. A shite manager will do well. I'm not excited over this in the slightest. If it's possible to put aside the obvious Gas connection then Holloway is the best man out there. He'd get a better job in a higher league though.

The worrying thing is I have absolutely no idea who this bloke is or what he has done.

I surely can't be the only person - we need a "big name" someone to energise the fan base and give us all some hope.

Check out the wiki entry. Not massively inspiring. How he is even in the frame is beyond me.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Cotterill

Final word from me on it.

All this hoofball stuff is a myth.

We're not exactly Barcelona, our last 3 promotion sides (Jordan, Ward and Johnson) were all direct to one degree or another. Their centre forwards were Turner, Torpey and Showunmi.

Cooper and Wilson aside all the managers I've seen since Dicks played direct football to an extent, and as has been pointed out Cotterill's last job was coaching at QPR, hardly Stoke, was it? He won't be another Pulis and if he can get us better organised, more physically hard to play against we'll get a lot more points in the next 19 games than we have in the last 19.

As per usual Graham you make a lot of sense.

In fairness in my time as a City fan, GJ & Ward's side were the two most successful I have seen by far. Was it all done with free flowing attacking football? Of course not. They were winning football sides. Wilson has played the best football I have seen in my time but he obviously didn't have the same success.

If Cotterill can get winning football back at the game and not so direct football long term I would take that. I am less than inspired with this and I just feel it shows how clueless the board are. I am not disputing that Cotterill could do a good job but don't understand why the club want him to oversee this transition.

Its a BIG NO from me but what the **** do I know? I wanted Coppell, McInnes and O'Driscoll - look how they turned out.

Reading his record he seems to get off to a good start but his spell at Forest makes extremely depressing reading.

The worrying thing is I have absolutely no idea who this bloke is or what he has done.

I surely can't be the only person - we need a "big name" someone to energise the fan base and give us all some hope.

The manager needs to energise the players and get them organised.

Energising the fans is about what happens on the pitch.

Can't say I would be pleased if Cotterill came in but it goes without saying we should all give him our full support if appointed.

For all we know he could come in and have us back up within a year or 2.

It's a funny old game!

Can't say I would be pleased if Cotterill came in but it goes without saying we should all give him our full support if appointed.

For all we know he could come in and have us back up within a year or 2.

It's a funny old game!

I agree, definitely wouldn't be my choice but if he comes in he deserves a fair go at it.

Its a BIG NO from me but what the **** do I know? I wanted Coppell, McInnes and O'Driscoll - look how they turned out.

Reading his record he seems to get off to a good start but his spell at Forest makes extremely depressing reading.

No one knows, "Kib." Including the board. That's why they are trying to put a system, of sorts, the 5 pillars, in place, as this is something they CAN do that might improve our lot, at some point. With a little good fortune going our way. They know that just changing coach is not the answer, not going to do very much. But the coach needs to steer us into somewhere above the relegation zone, that's their bit. Not TOO much to ask, not in League One

...I surely can't be the only person - we need a "big name" someone to energise the fan base and give us all some hope.

How are we going to get a big name? We are third from bottom in League One, looking for our 6th manager in 4 years and we are not a big club. "Big names" aren't even looking at us.

The more I think about it, the best we can do might be Cotterill. I've never watched his teams play, but his hoof ball may not be worse than we've seen over the past few years. If his game is hoofball, then he may play it better than we've seen over the past few years.

Ugh. What's the point? I really am struggling to locate any enthusiasm for the club at this point.

indeed. The board and our benefactor are ripping this club to shreds. I dont have words to express in how low regard I hold them. 

Ugh. What's the point? I really am struggling to locate any enthusiasm for the club at this point.

Just doesn't make any sense to me JT. Of course I will back him and he would start with a clean slate but this appointment just goes against everything the board have said. If this is a route they want to go down they may as well go all out and get Warnock in. At least he is proven. Just what has Cotterill done??

Mind you, like many on here I was all for Copout, Del & SoD. Genuinely thought all were the right appointments without a doubt so I clearly know **** all.

I'm more than happy to be proved wrong by Cotterill or any other manager I didn't want that got the job.

It would make me angry as it would show just how clueless the board are. Why say they want to stick to this new strategy, 5 pillars etc playing attractive football to employ a long ball merchant who has done an awful lot less then SoD has in management.

Cotterill made an absolute mess of a very good Forest side, nearly getting them relegated in the process. He has no previous or credentials that match what the board apparently want. Just what has he done to prove he is the man to oversee such a huge transition? To me it would go against everything the board has said in recent times, which in turn would show me that we are completely rudderless and only going one way.

Why make all these great plans and not stick to them and change direction after what? Less than a year?

As an alleged mate of the Chairman, I'm sure he'll know full well what the clubs plans are ie. La Pillaro Cinquo as they say in Spain (possibly?)

As for "has done an awful lot less then SoD has in management." Not a lot in it is there?. SOD's got 2 promotions on his CV, Cotterill has a couple as well (at least, might be 3?)

Not saying I necessarily want him as manager, but I'm not going to crucify the bloke before he walks through the door. If he does get it, I'll have to suck it up and support the team as best I can. The same as I did when Pulis and O'Driscoll were appointed.

As an alleged mate of the Chairman, I'm sure he'll know full well what the clubs plans are ie. La Pillaro Cinquo as they say in Spain (possibly?)

As for "has done an awful lot less then SoD has in management." Not a lot in it is there?. SOD's got 2 promotions on his CV, Cotterill has a couple as well (at least, might be 3?)

Not saying I necessarily want him as manager, but I'm not going to crucify the bloke before he walks through the door. If he does get it, I'll have to suck it up and support the team as best I can. The same as I did when Pulis and O'Driscoll were appointed.

I didn't really elaborate very well with regards to 'has done an awful lot less'.

It is a worry for me as he has never developed a team like SoD has. OK I know SoD failed doing that here but if that's what we want to do then Cotterill seems very strange. Glynner. Ok Cotterill has had success and done it in a certain way but is that what we want? It just doesn't seem to add up with me.

Like you I will back him and will give the bloke every chance. Just because I don't want him won't mean I will be ready to shoot him down if things don't go well. He would get the same chance as any for me. I don't really know a lot in all honesty though as mentioned above I thought Copout, Del & SoD were all cracking appointments so hopefully this will be the right one.

It's not even necessarily Cotterill I am against and his style of management anyway. What is my biggest concern in all this is that it would appear that the board are going against all they have said and wanted to plan for.

Archived