IGNORED

England Vs India Test Series

Monkeh

Yet another appalling decision from the umpires. I don't like to slag off officials in any sport but the stuff they're getting wrong in this test is really really poor.

There are two parts to this IMO. Firstly, the umpires are now used to DRS so they're probably a bit quicker to give those decisions, but obviously DRS isn't in use here. Secondly, because DRS isn't in play, India are appealing aggressively for anything anywhere near out so eventually it's going to tell

Lesson: make them use frigging DRS!!!

There are two parts to this IMO. Firstly, the umpires are now used to DRS so they're probably a bit quicker to give those decisions, but obviously DRS isn't in use here. Secondly, because DRS isn't in play, India are appealing aggressively for anything anywhere near out so eventually it's going to tell

Lesson: make them use frigging DRS!!!

A third argument could be that DRS has reduced the quality of umpiring by making them a bit more complacent as they know that if they make a howler it'll be overturned? I'm a fan of DRS but I'm starting to think it's a possibility. Of course they don't want to get anything wrong, but there have been some real stinkers in this series, particularly the two decisions against Ballance.

Agree with you, if DRS is to be used at all it must be used in every match. You can't have different rules depending on who is playing.

A third argument could be that DRS has reduced the quality of umpiring by making them a bit more complacent as they know that if they make a howler it'll be overturned? I'm a fan of DRS but I'm starting to think it's a possibility. Of course they don't want to get anything wrong, but there have been some real stinkers in this series, particularly the two decisions against Ballance.

Agree with you, if DRS is to be used at all it must be used in every match. You can't have different rules depending on who is playing.

I don't think the umpires are worse, but as an umpire you will get used to a batsman going straight to review if he's given out off glove or bat when there's been no contact; it'll be a force of habit that's hard to break. I think the number of poor calls in this series is as good an advert for DRS as there's ever been

• Admin

India don't like DRS so we don't get to use it? Time for teams to start calling their bluff and refusing to play them if they don't want to play under the same conditions as the rest of the cricketing world. They'll soon change their mind.

Certainly up there

The only international cricketer who has scored 10,000+ runs and taken 250+ wickets in both tests and ODIs, Amazing he averaged near 55 in test matches, Higher than a lot of the great batsmen.

The only international cricketer who has scored 10,000+ runs and taken 250+ wickets in both tests and ODIs, Amazing he averaged near 55 in test matches, Higher than a lot of the great batsmen.

The thing about cricket though, is that greatness is not always judged solely on stats. I would say Gary Sobers was the more aesthetically pleasing player or Botham was more of a character, plus Kallis will have played a lot more cricket than those two- leading to the fantastic accumulated runs and wickets stats. However, you can't argue with that batting average. A modern great no doubt

Archived