IGNORED

England Vs India Test Series

Monkeh

what do you think cook should do?

Tell them to attack after tea to plunder as many runs as they can and then put the indians into bat with say 10 - 15 overs left in the day? would be a statment of intent to those (like myself) who have said he's too defensive....

what do you think cook should do?

Tell them to attack after tea to plunder as many runs as they can and then put the indians into bat with say 10 - 15 overs left in the day? would be a statment of intent to those (like myself) who have said he's too defensive....

Of course that's what he should do but odds on he won't.

I personally reckon it looked like the ball bounced up into his hands- whether that was off his finger or not is another question. The Ballance dismissal was farcical, Dhoni at least must have known that ball didn't go anywhere near the edge but he appealed loudly anyway. Hopefully they get a few dodgy decisions against them in the coming days and they start thinking that maybe DRS isn't that bad after all...

Anyway, I'd like to see Buttler and Bell come out and accelerate after tea; we're scoring too slowly and I reckon we should have been looking to have 500+ on the board by now, declare in an hour and have 45 minutes at them

I don't think that'll be enough for Cook, he's more cautious. Unless Buttler goes mental, I don't think we'll declare tonight

Buttler is going mental,

I think cook is waiting for him to ether be out or to hit a ton

Amazing how Zumerzet considered Kieswetter ahead of Buttler...

Both great players btw.

It was a horrible situation made by Giles who insisted that Butler *must* have the gloves to progress further within the England ranks.  Lets not forget both were playing regularly for England ODI/T20 setup and then it changed. Until that point nobody needed to leave.

As it is, lets be honest, he's going to be centrally contracted by the end of this year and Lancs will get to play him as much as they do Jimmy.

I think he doesn't need the gloves to be in the side anyway and today further proved it.  I'd still say CK is the better glove man.. although from a Somerset perspective I reckon Alex Barrow is even better.

Amazing how Zumerzet considered Kieswetter ahead of Buttler...

Both great players btw.

Well its pretty easy to see why they chose Kieswetter, first up Buttler is a far better in the field than Kieswetter which is why Kieswetter was behind the stumps, however England wanted Jos keeping as he was playing for England. So when it came to the end of the season do you keep the guy who is going to be around part of the season when not playing for England or do you keep the guy who would (apart from his freak injury now) be around for the whole season? No brainer really when you think about it.

Jos looks very much the part behind the stumps, reminds me of Alec Stewart tbh, lets hope he has a good day with the gloves

To be honest, we all know that Buttler can play that kind of innings. We need to see how he does if he comes in with England 190-5 on a dodgy pitch and he needs to bat for 3 hours to save a test

To be honest, we all know that Buttler can play that kind of innings. We need to see how he does if he comes in with England 190-5 on a dodgy pitch and he needs to bat for 3 hours to save a test

We will find out about all of them when Johnson gives them all some "chin music" next summer.

To be fair he's been doing that all season for Lancs as they are pretty shit!

..and he was averaging over 40 for Somerset last season doing much the same!

He's still young, he will learn, but no doubt he's got the lot IMO

watching his interview on Sky the other day he seems a level headed man and it won't go to his head that's for sure. He has everything he will be a superstar for sure. The nearest thing to Gilchirst we have seen.

Well its pretty easy to see why they chose Kieswetter, first up Buttler is a far better in the field than Kieswetter which is why Kieswetter was behind the stumps, however England wanted Jos keeping as he was playing for England. So when it came to the end of the season do you keep the guy who is going to be around part of the season when not playing for England or do you keep the guy who would (apart from his freak injury now) be around for the whole season? No brainer really when you think about it.

Totally agree. Also agree with others that Jos is good enough to get in as a batsman too. Great to see a West Country lad make such an impression.

I'm not suggesting for a second that he can't do it, but grinding out an innings at test level is a different ball game- there are plenty of great county players who couldn't do it at test level. I think that Buttler has the ability to do that, we'll have to see whether he has the temperament

Been a cracking spell from Broad this; he's unlucky not to have 4 or 5 wickets, let alone 2. Given the bounce he's extracting from the pitch, you do wonder whether Plunkett should have been retained, but no matter. Buttler looking very competent behind the stumps too

• Admin

Been a cracking spell from Broad this; he's unlucky not to have 4 or 5 wickets, let alone 2. Given the bounce he's extracting from the pitch, you do wonder whether Plunkett should have been retained, but no matter. Buttler looking very competent behind the stumps too

Anderson & Broad now have 500 wickets in Test Matches they have played together.

The only opening pairs ahead of them now are Ambrose/Walsh (762) & Akram/Younis (559)I can see them overtaking the Pakistani pair before the end of their Test careers but Ambrose and Walsh are far too far ahead. Not bad though & we've been lucky to have such a good pair of quicks (especially with the criticism Broad has drawn during his career).

So, India all out for 330 and England have decided not to enforce the follow on but to bat again.

Only a handful of overs this morning so, surely, the bowlers cannot be too tired.

When to declare, will they promote, e.g. Buttler, to increase the run rate and should the follow on have been enforced.

For what it is worth, I would have invited India to bat again.

So, India all out for 330 and England have decided not to enforce the follow on but to bat again.

Only a handful of overs this morning so, surely, the bowlers cannot be too tired.

When to declare, will they promote, e.g. Buttler, to increase the run rate and should the follow on have been enforced.

For what it is worth, I would have invited India to bat again.

Poor decision for me. Cook will be slaughtered if we don't win.

Poor decision for me. Cook will be slaughtered if we don't win.

It'll only be a problem if we go on too long. If I were Cook I'd tell my batsmen to come out, score as many runs as they can by about an hour after lunch, then go bowl them out. The pitch is only going to get harder to bat on, the balls still swinging around and if India had come out and got 400 relatively quickly, having to score 170 in the final innings might be trickier than you think. Cook has retained control of the direction of the match, so as long as the declaration comes early enough it's a good call

Archived