IGNORED

All 2015 Summer Transfer In's And Out's/speculation/rumours (Merged)

rockinrobin

Yep.

I am sure we all trust in Steve & Keith's ability to source good players and pay the right price for them.

However last season their ability to do this in advance of the pre-season tour rightly brought plaudits all round and the pre-season tour was credited, by the players themselves, as having brought the new and old players together and got them playing for each other as a team well before the start of the season.

This year they have failed to do that so we will not have the good start we had last season.

Nobody wishes us to panic buy or pay over the odds but if we could buy a player of the calibre of Luke Freemen (among several others) at the start of July last year as a League 1 team then we should have been able to get in equally good players at the same time now that we are a Championship team.

Difference is we were top of the tree last season being the second biggest club in league one behind Sheffield United

We aren't this season we are prob around 16 or 17th in terms of size and attractiveness in the league

Look at the clubs we are up against, Birmingham Middlesbrough Derby Leeds all massive compared to us, he'll even Cardiff are much bigger then us these days,

That's why it's taking time

Last season was superb and got fans excited about the prospect of playing and challenging in the Championship if a couple of key signings were made. Now the team is in Portugal for 2 weeks  crucial team building ,training and conditioning  with a much depleted squad from last season and with no new signings made with first game only a few weeks away. Am I wrong to be worried about next season.in the light of the depth of the squad.  We are now in a significantly worse position than at this stage last season with the prospect of playing in a much better division. How does that work ?

Like most fans I was baffled and frustrated  by the way SC  used JET last season and therefore not surprised when he left. QPR believe he strengthens their team but SC thought not good enough for us  in Division 1 or the  Championship. Now we have lost Agard for a few months , don't have Smith anymore so what happens if Wilbraham gets injured ? Relying on Flint and the midfielders  for the same goalscoring contribution is not sustainable  as they will simply  not have the freedom  and space available to go forward as much as  last season. With last year's skipper  Wade Elliot also not in contention  the squad is much weaker than last year and yet we are playing in a higher division.

Comments on the club website also fill me with concern -stating that the closeness of the squad will be helpful in the coming season could be taken as complacency  Agree in part but we need competition for places to create the top performances essential if we want to progress, not settle for a mid table position

If we still have no signings by the start of the season , then I fear a bad start could not only effect the confidence of players but also put others players off coming to the Gate if a relegation battle is in prospect.

After 55 years as  a fan  and season ticket holder , I really hope I am not being overtly negative and the team can be strengthened by a couple of key first team  signings before the season starts .

I don't think most fans were baffled and frustrated by how JET was used last season - how can you criticise a strategy that yielded such perfect results?

Luxury player, good touches, an excellent impact sub when we were already on top but little effect on games where we were struggling to retain possession - which are likely to be much more common in a higher league.

Difference is we were top of the tree last season being the second biggest club in league one behind Sheffield United

We aren't this season we are prob around 16 or 17th in terms of size and attractiveness in the league

Look at the clubs we are up against, Birmingham Middlesbrough Derby Leeds all massive compared to us, he'll even Cardiff are much bigger then us these days,

Absolutely we're a small fish in the Championship pond.  You get a really good premier league loanee and he is going to go to those clubs you have namechecked.

But we bought players early last season who would (obviously) be good enough to go straight into our first team; the best league 1 players who could easily play in the Championship.  So why can't we buy the same now?

Absolutely we're a small fish in the Championship pond.  You get a really good premier league loanee and he is going to go to those clubs you have namechecked.

But we bought players early last season who would (obviously) be good enough to go straight into our first team; the best league 1 players who could easily play in the Championship.  So why can't we buy the same now?

The best league one players already play for us that's why, the few I would of taken are under contract at my dons or Preston or made a big money move to qpr

You know exactly what he means, no need to be pedantic! There's plenty of good players in that league we could look at.

Is there really though? Personally a lot of players currently in league 1 don't stand out to me as players that would take to the championship!! There wasn't anyone apart from players who has left or were in the promoted teams that stood out to me this season!!

Is there really though? Personally a lot of players currently in league 1 don't stand out to me as players that would take to the championship!! There wasn't anyone apart from players who has left or were in the promoted teams that stood out to me this season!!

Yaser Kasim, Bradley Dack, Matt Done, Ian Henderson, Tom Bradshaw, Cody McDonald, Jamie Murphy to name but a few would all make our squad stronger

You know exactly what he means, no need to be pedantic! There's plenty of good players in that league we could look at.

I'm not being pedantic the ones that would really improve us are already contract to other clubs

Gladwin, lungo, Johnson, garner, beckford, reeves, Tom Clarke, David Martin

Yaser Kasim, Bradley Dack, Matt Done, Ian Henderson, Tom Bradshaw, Cody McDonald, Jamie Murphy to name but a few would all make our squad stronger

Kasim didn't do anything against us either game

Dack possibly would be a good squad player

Matt done didn't do great deal since his move to sheff Utd

Tom Bradshaw dont really see what the fuss was about we played them 3 times and he hardly had a sniff on goal

The others would only be squad players, surely should be looking at players with experience, if we were going for unproven players then would rather we got youngsters from prem on loan!

Tom Bradshaw dont really see what the fuss was about we played them 3 times and he hardly had a sniff on goal

The others would only be squad players, surely should be looking at players with experience, if we were going for unproven players then would rather we got youngsters from prem on loan!

Oh come on. Kasim is a really good player. And Matty Done was the only shining light in an average at best Sheffield United team. I'd take either.

I'm not being pedantic the ones that would really improve us are already contract to other clubs

Gladwin, lungo, Johnson, garner, beckford, reeves, Tom Clarke, David Martin

As Phileas Fogg has listed though Monkeh there are several players who we could sign who could go into the team.

But we haven't.

So who are we looking at?  Is it foreign players for whom negotiations take longer hence the flagged up delay in signing.  Or are we taking our position in the queue for premier league loanees and accepting that we will have to wait our turn behind bigger clubs?

We've missed out on several players that we were (according to the BEP) interested in so the concern with not having a clutch of good signings in place is that there may be no Plan B (to quote Mr Higgs).

You can't really judge these players from how they played against us!

What about Jamie Murphy then? He's played in both the championship and league 1.

Second biggest?

I'd say PNE and Cov are bigger than us....and Bradford and Swindle have been in the Premier League relatively recently.

But it all comes back (again!) to how you define the size of a club.

Attendances? Honours? Recent history? Total history? Potential?

It's impossible!

You can't really judge these players from how they played against us!

What about Jamie Murphy then? He's played in both the championship and league 1.

The best way to judge players is in there toughest games which would of been against us? If they can't impress against the top in league 1 how they gunna set the championship a light!! I would of thought if we were after Murphy we would of signed him ages ago, as was linked with him as soon as the window opened!!

The best way to judge players is in there toughest games which would of been against us? If they can't impress against the top in league 1 how they gunna set the championship a light!! I would of thought if we were after Murphy we would of signed him ages ago, as was linked with him as soon as the window opened!!

No not really, their average over the season is much more telling. Imagine if you were a, say, Sheffield United fan put off because JET didn't play particularly well against them whenever he's played them.. We, who see him all the time, know his ability as we see him more often and thus are in a better position to assess him.

(In before Monkeh informs he he scored 8 goals and made 6 assists against Sheffield United over two years or something - that was just an example)

Second biggest?

I'd say PNE and Cov are bigger than us....and Bradford and Swindle have been in the Premier League relatively recently.

It's impossible!

I agree - I think perhaps we were the second most "attractive club" to join last season, perhaps that's a better way of putting it.

As Phileas Fogg has listed though Monkeh there are several players who we could sign who could go into the team.

But we haven't.

So who are we looking at?  Is it foreign players for whom negotiations take longer hence the flagged up delay in signing.  Or are we taking our position in the queue for premier league loanees and accepting that we will have to wait our turn behind bigger clubs?

We've missed out on several players that we were (according to the BEP) interested in so the concern with not having a clutch of good signings in place is that there may be no Plan B (to quote Mr Higgs).

To be honest I don't pay to much attention to the evening post on its own, most of the rumours there are picked up from here,

That httc one seems a bit more reliable, but the answer is **** knows because we are keeping things so close to our chests that it takes an agent or another club to leak information for us to know

All I know for sure is cotts and burt must be awesome poker players, and a lot more is going on behind the scenes,

The thing that went for us last season is that most the players we signed were out of contract so we could move quickly, that doesn't seem to be the case this season, which means a quick deal is out of question as we seen, negotiations can and will take weeks to do from an initial offe and that's even before we can discuss terms and give a medical

No not really, their average over the season is much more telling. Imagine if you were a, say, Sheffield United fan put off because JET didn't play particularly well against them whenever he's played them.. We, who see him all the time, know his ability as we see him more often and thus are in a better position to assess him.

(In before Monkeh informs he he scored 8 goals against Sheffield United over two years or something - that was just an example)

dont think he's ever scored against them to be honest, but you are right you can't judge a player on 1 or 2 games, need to watch them for at least 6 or 7 games to gage a good understanding of strengths and weaknesses

Second biggest?

It's impossible!

Surely it's about the present though, Coventry had to close down one of their stands because they don't attract enough fans.. They're stuck in league 1 and won't get anymore than 8k turn up for home games..

However last season their ability to do this in advance of the pre-season tour rightly brought plaudits all round and the pre-season tour was credited, by the players themselves, as having brought the new and old players together and got them playing for each other as a team well before the start of the season.

This year they have failed to do that so we will not have the good start we had last season.

Last season they were buying the spine of an entirely new team. They started the season with 7 players making their debuts. It was important to get those players together as soon as possible so they would have as long as they could to bond with one another.

This season they will be adding extra players to an existing spine so the need for them all to bond is not quite so pressing. Still useful, obviously, but nowhere near as vital. Even if we make the 5 or 6 signings some are advocating (2 or 3 at the most seems more likely to me) I don't think we'll be seeing 7 new players in the team at Sheffield this year.

Second biggest?

It's impossible!

Second biggest?

It's impossible!

Recent history at the current time us and unted hadn't long been relegated, while Coventry and Preston had been down there for a few years,

Archived