IGNORED

All 2015 Summer Transfer In's And Out's/speculation/rumours (Merged)

rockinrobin

So, are we all agreed that we're not far off having a decent squad now? I'm pretty happy with what we've got. A backup keeper and another midfielder would do the trick for me, and maybe another left-sided player to cover Bryan. I don't want a big squad, 18-20 players is enough I think. Quality over quantity. 

Looking forward to seeing the new guys complement what is already a good side. I'm sure this season will be fun and we'll surprise a few along the way. Bring it on - COYR.

So, are we all agreed that we're not far off having a decent squad now?

Isn't it amazing what signing two young players, whom most of us will have seen very little of, can change opinions.

So, are we all agreed that we're not far off having a decent squad now? I'm pretty happy with what we've got. A backup keeper and another midfielder would do the trick for me, and maybe another left-sided player to cover Bryan. I don't want a big squad, 18-20 players is enough I think. Quality over quantity. 

Looking forward to seeing the new guys complement what is already a good side. I'm sure this season will be fun and we'll surprise a few along the way. Bring it on - COYR.

I certainly think we're getting there with the numbers.  I've still a bit of a concern about quality in depth but I reckon we'll get there.

In an ideal world I'd like to see us in a position to move El-Abd on, loan out Reid and Burns and bring in...

A keeper who can challenge Frankie

A left wing-back who can cover centre-back in an emergency

A centre-back who can compete for a first-team place

A centre-midfielder who can compete for a first-team place

A young midfielder who is happy to act as cover for now but ready to seize their chance when it arrives.

That'd take us up to 21 players and really give us a squad that could compete in the division.

• Admin

I hope not.

I want to see Kodjia given a good run, and Wilbs., as skipper, as well as last season's top scorer, will surely be one of the first names on the sheet.

We've got plenty of back up and Cotts. likes to run with a small squad so signing a sixth forward now would be puzzling.

Isn't it quite likely that the almost 6ft 3" Kodjia was signed after any thoughts of signing Smith had been abandoned?

Either way, my own view is any big money should be reserved for strengthening other positions now.

I take your point but if the signing improves the team then I cite you last season's skipper Wade Elliott as an example that being captain doesn't guarantee a starting spot under Cotts. 

I suspect they see Wes Burns' development being better served at a lower level getting regular starts.

I don't think he's out of his depth at Championship level, I think he'd merely be decent without pulling up any trees - a bit like he is at League One.

I happen think he's one of our more important players despite not being in the first team. The versatility he provides us is great, his dressing room influence is seemingly so too, he provides a good deal of 'insurance' relatively cheaply and he's Mr Consistent - he'll rarely be MOTM but equally he rarely has a bad day at the office. He might not be as good as the others, but does a more than adequate job match-by-match

Not your flair player, but a type I think every good team needs to have. Dependable, reliable and no frills.

I said defensively, I highlighted his versatility as a positive.

Isn't it amazing what signing two young players, whom most of us will have seen very little of, can change opinions.

I agree... I was more directing it at people who were panicking only 2 days ago! I noticed the shift in feeling on here quite quickly...

Personally, I was a bit concerned we were so light but not as freaked out as some on here!

I hope not.

I want to see Kodjia given a good run, and Wilbs., as skipper, as well as last season's top scorer, will surely be one of the first names on the sheet.

We've got plenty of back up and Cotts. likes to run with a small squad so signing a sixth forward now would be puzzling.

Isn't it quite likely that the almost 6ft 3" Kodjia was signed after any thoughts of signing Smith had been abandoned?

Either way, my own view is any big money should be reserved for strengthening other positions now.

Matt Smith would be a fantastic long term replacement for Wilbs.

If he's available and within our budget then we should work hard for his signature, we've seen he is a more than capable replacement and Leeds fans (an established championship team) were gutted to see him leave.

From the little I've seen of Kodjia its only his height that would suggest he could be used as a target man, id prefer an effective, proven player in that role, Smith is exactly that.

Have a look at the forest forum

We've got a shit manager who only plays hoof ball and will get us relegated to league two according to them,

Have a look at swindon board about Flint

What other fans say is meaningless it's how hey perform for your club that counts but continue to write off a player you've never seen play and when it turns out to be a great signing don't come crying when you receive stick for your ill informed comment today

No luck finding the comment where I've wrote him off then........Thought not.

Ooh exciting. Another attack minded player on board. Do hope Wes gets his chance tho. Think he deserves it.

I don't think there is any doubt that he 'deserves it'; the question is whether he is good enough (and consistent enough) today, and I stress today.

It is clear that Wes is quick and a quality player, but he needs to play.

He is also a possibility for the Welsh team in the 1916 European Championship - don't laugh, he has trained with the full squad already and the squad for France will be 20 something strong. How many others in our current squad are likely to be present in France in 2016?

I guess the next few weeks/months will indicate whether he has any immediate (as opposed to long-term) future with City.

He is also a possibility for the Welsh team in the 1916 European Championship - don't laugh, he has trained with the full squad already and the squad for France will be 20 something strong

I'd say anyone who manages to make a time machine to get themselves picked for a tournament that has still yet to be invented thoroughly deserves their place in the squad!

Matt Smith would be a fantastic long term replacement for Wilbs.

If he's available and within our budget then we should work hard for his signature, we've seen he is a more than capable replacement and Leeds fans (an established championship team) were gutted to see him leave.

From the little I've seen of Kodjia its only his height that would suggest he could be used as a target man, id prefer an effective, proven player in that role, Smith is exactly that.

You say Smith is exactly that, but at 26 he's only appeared 57 times at Championship level and has been something of a L1/Championship nomad so it's not proven he's long term effective there imo.

To say he would be a fantastic signing is over egging his pudding somewhat - he would no doubt be reasonably effective but we now have a far more mobile 'big man' in Kodjia and the last thing he needs is a stop/start career at City due to too many options and other expensive alternatives expecting to play.

What Kodjia needs most of all is to be played and persevered with.

Wilbs is fighting fit, scores goals and consistently gives defenders a hard time.

With 4 other forwards - so still adequate cover even if Burns goes out on loan - we can worry about a long term replacement for Wilbs. next season, if indeed we then feel we need a traditional old fashioned 'target man' in the future.

Let's concentrate our resources on getting 2 defenders and a midfielder in, players we actually need now.

You say Smith is exactly that, but at 26 he's only appeared 57 times at Championship level and has been something of a L1/Championship nomad so it's not proven he's long term effective there imo.

To say he would be a fantastic signing is over egging his pudding somewhat - he would no doubt be reasonably effective but we now have a far more mobile 'big man' in Kodjia and the last thing he needs is a stop/start career at City due to too many options and other expensive alternatives expecting to play.

What Kodjia needs most of all is to be played and persevered with.

Wilbs is fighting fit, scores goals and consistently gives defenders a hard time.

With 4 other forwards - so still adequate cover even if Burns goes out on loan - we can worry about a long term replacement for Wilbs. next season, if indeed we then feel we need a traditional old fashioned 'target man' in the future.

Let's concentrate our resources on getting 2 defenders and a midfielder in, players we actually need now.

But Kodjia and Smith are chalk & cheese. Kodjia may be tall, but he is nothing like a big lump of a target man - more like a taller and faster Agard type striker. Kodjia is fairly lightweight & unlikely to be great at holding the ball up, if the Yeovil match is anything to go by.

But Kodjia and Smith are chalk & cheese. Kodjia may be tall, but he is nothing like a big lump of a target man - more like a taller and faster Agard type striker. Kodjia is fairly lightweight & unlikely to be great at holding the ball up, if the Yeovil match is anything to go by.

I'm not sure we actually need a 'big lump' or a 'target man', or whether playing to such an individual is the way I'd like to see City play in the future.

Kodjia may be more like a bigger Agard than a Matt Smith but at nearly 6ft 3" he should win his fair share in the air.

As for the rest I haven't seen Kodjia play yet, but, as well as added pace, I'm hopeful there is more to his all round game than MS.

As I've posted before JoKo has a fair bit of ability. Might win flick one, but I don't see him holding it up under pressure like Wilbs or Smith.

Funnily enough I don't think we played as good football when MS was leading the line. Before you all jump on me, I think there were other factors. MS not as mobile as Wilbs, but didn't benefit from KA running his nuts off in behind defenders or channels, which creates space for LF to work his magic. MS was paired most often with JET, which again closed LF's space too, as JET liked to play in similar areas.

I thought we played a little more direct (at times) with MS, but would've liked to see how it would've worked with KA alongside him.

I'm not saying I wouldn't like to see him back, but let's see whether our new forward options can spark first. Money might be able to be better spent elsewhere!

I seem to remember us chasing Tony Thoroe all summer - didn't think we were going to get him so got Soren Andersen (was it alongside Akinbiyi?) instead. Suddenly Thorpe became available and we tried to accommodate all three. It didn't really work.

I seem to remember us chasing Tony Thoroe all summer - didn't think we were going to get him so got Soren Andersen (was it alongside Akinbiyi?) instead. Suddenly Thorpe became available and we tried to accommodate all three. It didn't really work.

It was the summer we signed Akinbiyi but wasn't as you remember.

We signed Thorpe about a month before we got Andersen, so really didn't need the latter as well, especially when we had signed Julian Watts and Carl Hutchings as our CB & CM that summer.

The chairman's ego (plus John Ward being out of his depth) at the time meant we were horribly unbalanced, using all our money on strikers.

Matt Smith starting for Fulham so that's definitely not happening.

I'm a little surprised he's starting but if they give him 4 or 5 matches to get game fit he will be a nightmare in that squad. He and McCormack had a nice little pairing end of last season and if they continue that, they will be in that playoff hunt

Preston had Garner and Beckford, probably the best forward paring of last season. Also their style is much more direct than ours which would suit Beckford and Garner more.

Remember too, Robinson is a young lad. Being in Bristol, 2 hours from Birmingham will probably be much easier to settle in than Preston right at the top of the country.

Our squad is much younger too, so he could find that easier to settle into.

I think we're a better fit for him than Preston. These sort of factors count for a lot.

Preston is only 10 miles further from Brum than Bristol!

Archived